Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

17 hours ago, prowerboy26 said:

Well that is what I am saying. I feel like Cream and Charmy are 100% treated like children. Tails is sort of a mixed case in that he is treated as a child but they let him do more mildly dangerous tasks and the rest are just treated as teenagers with not a lot of restrictions on them even if they are minors by modern standards because that is how media in general treats most teenage characters.

The same could be said about Robin compared to other kids like Tiffany.

7 hours ago, Demonic Frenzy Ultima said:
  Hide contents

Clutch isn't Mimic, if that were the case we would have seen the suctions on his hands. And the color of each character he shape shifts would be a little more duller sometimes.

Was that always the case? I mean, it's worth noting that we're only just meeting Clutch, who's a more lime color.

6 hours ago, The KKM said:

Most of you are overthinking this.

Ages are irrelevant in Sonic. They just serve to say "this character is older than that one", the specific number doesn't matter. Rouge didn't use an alias because of her age, and I thought the issue made that pretty obvious- it's because she didn't want to immediately blare out WORLD FAMOUS THIEF ROUGE THE BAT IS HERE by using her own name.

I didn't say/intend that.

Tails is 8 but isn't treated as a child any more than Amy or most anyone else for it. Amy, for that matter, is 12, which is pretty much just as much as a child, but like everyone else that isn't used as an element of her character.

I don't know, 8 years tend to be treated differently from twelve year olds, who are practically tweens.

The only exception to any of this is Battle, where every character had their motivations heightened in order to justify the constant fighting. I see people here all the time decry Amy in Battle as exaggerated, why wouldn't Cream be too?

Good point.

Charmy's also 6 and doesn't have a mother, no questions are raised about him, because his role is brat, not polite and proper innocent child.

I mean in his case, you have another assumed orphan who lives with his coworkers deal to potentially go with.

4 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

The reason I am conficted is because I feel the game had kept it pretty ambiguous. The characters still work w/o knowing their age (Charmy may be childish/hyperactive because he's 6, OR maybe that's just how he is), and are much too mature/fictional for their age, so specifically mentioning someone is too young creates a link to RL for me that raises so much questions on how stuff works in Sonic. If these are considered kids, why aren't these guys not? At what age would the "adults" be concerned about them running around alone? Should we be concerned Charmy as a "child" doesn't have a parent and is free to do whatever?

A don't draw attention to it if you're not gonna be consistent with it deal, eh?

Basically TSR again(was that ever actually said, btw)

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

A don't draw attention to it if you're not gonna be consistent with it deal, eh?

Basically TSR again(was that ever actually said, btw)

Kind of. That was how we got the mess of "two world", "no currency", etc. (iirc the curreny one was revealed by Ian? Actually I'm sure there's a lot of info Ian partially revealed that opened many can of worms...) It would've been totally fine if they never brought it up or tried to explain it, like Mario and any other timeless series.

What was it about TSR? 

7 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Kind of. That was how we got the mess of "two world", "no currency", etc. (iirc the curreny one was revealed by Ian? Actually I'm sure there's a lot of info Ian partially revealed that opened many can of worms...) It would've been totally fine if they never brought it up or tried to explain it, like Mario and any other timeless series.

What was it about TSR? 

The notion that Cream is too young to drive and participate in races.

22 hours ago, The KKM said:

Most of you are overthinking this.

Ages are irrelevant in Sonic. They just serve to say "this character is older than that one", the specific number doesn't matter. Rouge didn't use an alias because of her age, and I thought the issue made that pretty obvious- it's because she didn't want to immediately blare out WORLD FAMOUS THIEF ROUGE THE BAT IS HERE by using her own name. Tails is 8 but isn't treated as a child any more than Amy or most anyone else for it. Amy, for that matter, is 12, which is pretty much just as much as a child, but like everyone else that isn't used as an element of her character.

Cream is a child not because she's 6, but because her character is child. Her archetype is "sweet naïve polite young child". She's specifically designed to be a young child, act like one, and look like one. If you don't look at gameplay specifically, her motivation in her intro game is literally "I want my mommy", her motivation in her second game is "I want my poor pet", and after that she mostly serves as a secondary character to go "Miss Amy, please be more polite" because she's a prim and proper polite young child. In Sonic X her role by and large is entirely "the polite child who leans back from the action because she's a child". The only exception to any of this is Battle, where every character had their motivations heightened in order to justify the constant fighting. I see people here all the time decry Amy in Battle as exaggerated, why wouldn't Cream be too?

I mean, come on guys. They literally gave her a mother. The only character to have a mother. Because they're meant to make a pair of mother and child. Charmy's also 6 and doesn't have a mother, no questions are raised about him, because his role is brat, not polite and proper innocent child.

You may disagree with her being used like this, but the motivation is pretty obvious and clear, and has been so since 2003.

Y'know KKM we don't always see eye to eye but it's nice when we do. I will never understand why people take Sonic ages so damn seriously. The series clearly doesn't. 

It especially always bugs me when I see people say "OMG Sonic and Amy or Knuckles and Rouge have a three year age difference. That's literally pedophilia" on Twitter all the time.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Remind me, what is the next story about?

Sonic, Tails, and Amy are caught in a trap by Eggman and have to fight their way out while Tangle and Belle sabotage Eggman from the outside. 

• Thumbs Up 2

52 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Sonic, Tails, and Amy are caught in trap by Eggman and have to fight their way out while Tangle and Belle sabotage Eggman from the outside. 

Oh yeah. Somehow, I figured Tangle would be involved somehow.

27 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh yeah. Somehow, I figured Tangle would be involved somehow.

Gotta shill those new characters don't ya know. 

15 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Gotta shill those new characters don't ya know. 

Maybe they can shill some of the ones they didn't overuse at this point?

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Maybe they can shill some of the ones they didn't overuse at this point?

Like?

6 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Like?

...Truth be told, Jewel is the only main one besides Whisper not occupied by a miniseries right now. That leaves Lanolin, Scruffy, Ron, Nite, and Dawn, all of whom are more civilian in nature.

Eh.

29 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

...Truth be told, Jewel is the only main one besides Whisper not occupied by a miniseries right now. That leaves Lanolin, Scruffy, Ron, Nite, and Dawn, all of whom are more civilian in nature.

Eh.

I'd imagine Tangle gets the most focus because she was literally the main one they advertised, and she's basically the representative of this new world and setting so she's going to get a lot of screentime and play to establish her place among the cast. 

Now hopefully they don't OVER play her, but so far that hasn't really been the case for me. She doesn't feel like she gets any better moments than the rest of the cast. Hell, her debut is gushing over how awesome Blaze was. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

I'd imagine Tangle gets the most focus because she was literally the main one they advertised, and she's basically the representative of this new world and setting so she's going to get a lot of screentime and play to establish her place among the cast. 

Now hopefully they don't OVER play her, but so far that hasn't really been the case for me. She doesn't feel like she gets any better moments than the rest of the cast. Hell, her debut is gushing over how awesome Blaze was. 

Hmph...I suppose she is the most lighthearted and accessible.

We have some character reference sheets

Spoiler

Clutch

EkkONstXEAETbCa?format=jpg&name=4096x409EkkOGRLX0AAKhCA?format=jpg&name=4096x409EkkgtW3X0AAyauS?format=png&name=medium

I didn't know he's slightly taller than Sonic.

Spoiler

Belle

Ej5o1BZXsAA7n_0?format=jpg&name=largeElhx-o7WMAYo933?format=png&name=small

Her nose squeaks when you touch it. :P

Also, early Whisper concepts

Spoiler

ElhxKBrW0AU1v2X?format=jpg&name=900x900ElhxKIWXgAYGtQF?format=jpg&name=900x900ElhxKPeWMAEh7de?format=jpg&name=mediumElhxKYXXYAAmm5s?format=jpg&name=900x900

The Pencils for #37

Spoiler

ElD91isW0AA0-l1?format=jpg&name=largeElD91izWMAEkuqc?format=jpg&name=largeElD91isWAAADKSg?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Finally, a Bad Guys Cover

Spoiler

Elh64HaW0Acp3WB?format=jpg&name=large

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Clutch

EkkONstXEAETbCa?format=jpg&name=4096x409EkkOGRLX0AAKhCA?format=jpg&name=4096x409EkkgtW3X0AAyauS?format=png&name=medium

Guess that puts a snub on my impression.

Reveal hidden contents

Belle

Ej5o1BZXsAA7n_0?format=jpg&name=largeElhx-o7WMAYo933?format=png&name=small

Her nose squeaks when you touch it. :P

Also, early Whisper concepts

Reveal hidden contents

ElhxKBrW0AU1v2X?format=jpg&name=900x900ElhxKIWXgAYGtQF?format=jpg&name=900x900ElhxKPeWMAEh7de?format=jpg&name=mediumElhxKYXXYAAmm5s?format=jpg&name=900x900

The Pencils for #37

Cool to see how things come together.

Reveal hidden contents

ElD91isW0AA0-l1?format=jpg&name=largeElD91izWMAEkuqc?format=jpg&name=largeElD91isWAAADKSg?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Looks like the killers catch on to Starline at a pivotal moment.

On 10/27/2020 at 5:00 AM, DabigRG said:

The notion that Cream is too young to drive and participate in races.

Oooh, I totally forgot about that in TSR.

16 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Yeah it depends on how much Tangle gets used in the future, but she's fine for now. We don't know what kind of character Belle is but I kind of imagined Cream would be the type to befriend her.

14 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Clutch

Ah, I am still disappointed he is not a bulky guy :(

Reveal hidden contents

It took me a while to understand what's happening in the background.

Spoiler

I thought Zavok and Tumble were both holding Rough's fluffy tail. 

Also, wonder if its a mislead or spoilers?

Honestly, I think Tangle is fine right now; she's really not all that complex when you get down to it, which makes her a lot easier to utilize and integrate among the cast. She's very much designed like a supporting character from the games, someone who occasionally lends a helping hand for Sonic and co but not someone who can headline a story. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Eh.

Lanolin isn't a character, not sure Ron or Dawn are either, I don't remember who those are.

What I mean by this is they're not Sega-approved, they're not anything, they're just recurring background designs that keep being slipped by. The authors then going to twitter and saying "this is the character and their name and so on" doesn't make them an official character, and thus that means something like an actual Lanolin story is a hurdle. It's not impossible, but basically they'll have to bring the idea to sega, meaning reintroducing the character, potential design changes, etc etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Lanolin isn't a character, not sure Ron or Dawn are either, I don't remember who those are.

What I mean by this is they're not Sega-approved, they're not anything, they're just recurring background designs that keep being slipped by. The authors then going to twitter and saying "this is the character and their name and so on" doesn't make them an official character, and thus that means something like an actual Lanolin story is a hurdle. It's not impossible, but basically they'll have to bring the idea to sega, meaning reintroducing the character, potential design changes, etc etc.

I mean, given that Dawn is heavily associated with Nite, and is one of the main focuses of the annual, I think he can be considered a Sego-approved character.

Idk about the others, but Don and Nite were approved by Sega and given some lore. I'm sure it's because they were created for the comic, not the authors' preexisting OCs making a cameo.

Here are the tweets by Evan Stanley:

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Oooh, I totally forgot about that in TSR.

Yeah it depends on how much Tangle gets used in the future, but she's fine for now. We don't know what kind of character Belle is but I kind of imagined Cream would be the type to befriend her.

That does make sense, but then I guess that'd sorta jar with the different guest an issue pattern they had at the beginning.

6 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

It took me a while to understand what's happening in the background.

Hide contents

I thought Zavok and Tumble were both holding Rough's fluffy tail. 

Also, wonder if its a mislead or spoilers?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that. :lol:

2 hours ago, The KKM said:

I know I actually talked about Lanolin a little while ago saying that. I just included her since she was on the list.

Ron is the unimpressed hare from Jewel and Tangle's village, while Nite and Dawn are explained by KoDaiko.

Ah, sorry, since you wrote Dawn instead of Don I didn't realise it was the rooster character lol

Yeah no those two are meant to be recurring from the start and got approved by Sega and so on, yes

• Thumbs Up 1