Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Can't say I ain't being greedy. I kinda am. I read some of those stories and just got really bored of seeing these 90's characters take front and center stage. For a long time comic fan, I can see why it would be fine. Why this isn't a problem. If I were a long time fan following, I probably would be on the side to potentially keep all the characters. But I'm from the casual outside and I dislike seeing characters I want to see take a back seat, or take orders/subservient to non game characters. And that's not going into if said other characters are more competent than some of the frontline iconic ones. 

I don't really see how being a casual outsider correlates to disliking characters you want to see take a back seat or follow orders from non-game characters---that happens even in the games and other media, dude. Every character takes a backseat to something else at some point for narrative reasons, and that doesn't worsen things for them when they do or when non-game characters take a moment to shine.

Never mind that most of the game characters are no less competent than the non-game characters when they're together. Even as minor characters, Cream and Big (who graduated into one of the central characters in the comics instead of being a mere cameo), of all characters, have contributed several times more than I can recall their actions in the games--off the top of my head, when Sally lost focus during a crisis in Station Square, Cream was there to help keep track of things she wasn't paying attention to, and then later on lead a second team to save the FF from a trap they fell into, then helped defend the Acorn Kingdom's capital when Eggman launhed an attack. And that's just Cream in a minor role here (and she's done a lot more than just those examples), cuz she's done very little in the games by comparison. 

So this comes off as misplaced resentment towards the non-game cast, especially when it's the video games, with nary a comic character in sight, where the cast has been more incompetent or lacking by comparison--We don't have to look any further than Tails's current characterization in games like Forces when he trembles at the sight of fucking Base form of Chaos 0, when in SA1 he hardly hesitated to fight him when Chaos had four emeralds.

Hell, the comics would never leave the game characters behind the non-game cast if they can help it, at least under Ian's run.

But these are my personal feelings, not at all coincide to fact or whatever as I don't have enough experience with the comics to make these calls. I've only seen the more recent ones before cancellation. None of it is based on facts or understanding of all the comic characters, as I don't have that. These are new comics, and I don't really want them to have to either continue a extremely long comic series, or try and just pony off it. Just like with Marvel, DC, etc. I want a clean slate. I want a whole new universe of comics that don't rely on Archie. Archie had a ridiculously long run so it ran it's course. It's a shame how it abruptly ended though.

I mean, this is a clean slate. IDW have already said they're not continuing what Archie did and are telling their own stories.

The question after that is whether or not elements from Archie would transfer over along with them in this clean slate. They may not continue the stories Archie did, but that doesn't mean they can't use the characters--that said, it's up in the air if they will or if Sega will even allow them despite fan demand for them. They brought back fan favorite Ian Flynn as head writer, but that's not exactly a guarantee of things.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

I think it's pretty simple honestly. I know many people who don't follow the comics because they are not interested in following the likes of Sally or whatever. Though they picked up Sonic Universe issues because that was more streamlined and focused for them at least.

Cream is not nor never was supposed to be a fighter character. I have no idea why some people flame Flynn for that. He shoehorned her in the FF's HQ to try to appeal them but that didn't seem to work.

• Nice Smile 1

35 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I think it's pretty simple honestly. I know many people who don't follow the comics because they are not interested in following the likes of Sally or whatever. Though they picked up Sonic Universe issues because that was more streamlined and focused for them at least.

Okay, that's what they're interested in. That's no issue. But at the same time, being a casual or newer fan doesn't come with the collorary of "Game characters only or nothing."

A good chunk of the cast are new characters who are recent even to long time fans who have no obligation to care about characters like Conquering Storm, Thunderbolt, or even older characters like Drago and Elias who got removed, nevermind even game characters who aren't all that popular even in the video games themselves like Big or Cream. People come for characters they like and are familiar to them, but that doesn't mean they can't like the others as well. One of my favorite characters, the one in my Avatar, is among the most recent additions to this franchise, and she's no game character or anything along the lines of other favorites I want to see like Shadow or Knuckles. And heck, I want to see Blaze a lot more, but that doesn't mean Sally isn't allowed to be around when I'm more interested in Blaze.

Really, what I'm getting at is this: it's okay to desire the characters you like and want to see more of, and it's okay if there's characters you don't care about (lord knows even long time fans have characters they don't care about who've been around for years). But all too often for certain fans, it seems underlying logic behind this is sumed up as "Game characters I grew up with = worthwhile; Non-game characters that I didn't grow up with/are new to me = pointless," regardless of whether they actually bring something interesting or useful to the table. And I'm sorry, but that is an incredibly silly, if not shallow way to evaluate characters given that the older characters a fan grew up with had to go through the same exact process in getting said fan's attention as the newer or unfamiliar characters do.

Characters like Knuckles are iconic and have been in most media, but he didn't get that fame and attention just for being around in the games--he had to be an interesting and active for the audience to care, which makes me raise an eyebrow when a character like Bunnie or Nicole goes through the same process only for the goalposts to be moved on the sole reason of "I didn't grow up with you, so you can (or "should", for the extra-spiteful) go away."

Again, not saying you should be interested in the non-game cast if they don't grab you. But these characters are characters in the same sense as the game cast are, and when you really look at it, the reasoning of familiarity ends up shallow to the degree it makes little sense. Someone may not have grown up with a character, but that doesn't mean they can't show interest--whether they do is on them tho.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

2 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Okay, that's what they're interested in. That's no issue. But at the same time, being a casual or newer fan doesn't come with the collorary of "Game characters only or nothing."

A good chunk of the cast are new characters who are recent even to long time fans who have no obligation to care about characters like Conquering Storm, Thunderbolt, or even older characters like Drago and Elias who got removed, nevermind even game characters who aren't all that popular even in the video games themselves like Big or Cream. People come for characters they like and are familiar to them, but that doesn't mean they can't like the others as well. One of my favorite characters, the one in my Avatar, is among the most recent additions to this franchise, and she's no game character or anything along the lines of other favorites I want to see like Shadow or Knuckles.

Really, what I'm getting at is this: it's okay to desire the characters you like and want to see more of, and it's okay if there's characters you don't care about. But all too often, it seems underlying logic behind this is sumed up as "Game characters I grew up with = worthwhile; Non-game characters that I didn't grow up with/are new to me = pointless," regardless of whether they actually bring something interesting or useful to the table. And I'm sorry, but that is an incredibly silly, if not shallow way to evaluate characters given that the older characters a fan grew up with had to go through the same exact process in getting said fan's attention as the newer or unfamiliar characters do.

Characters like Knuckles are iconic and have been in most media, but he didn't get that fame and attention just for being around in the games--he had to be an interesting and active for the audience to care, which makes me raise an eyebrow when a character like Bunnie or Nicole goes through the same process only for the goalposts to be moved on the sole reason of "I didn't grow up with you, so you can (or "should", for the extra-spiteful) go away."

Again, not saying you should be interested in the non-game cast if they don't grab you. But these characters are characters in the same sense as the game cast are, and when you really look at it, the reasoning of familiarity ends up shallow to the degree it makes little sense. Someone may not have grown up with a character, but that doesn't mean they can't show interest--whether they do is on them tho.

I understand. I'm not saying new characters can't be comic exclusive or in the series, but I'd rather it not be at the expense of the characters I'm sure most have come to see. Or at least for more of those characters to maybe get development in one book like Sonic Universe or whatever. Like we have a Sonic, Tails, Knuckles story, and a new character that came from that interested readers, so then say a Sonic Universe like story on the side is dedicated maybe to their background or a story for them. And not something like here's so and so character....and I guess like Tails and Big or Cream and Rouge are there cause eh.....why not....

34 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

@Conquering Storm's Servant I remember someone in Tumblr saying that they didn't like Cream constantly being told by Sally to stay behind as it causes Cream to be sidelined a lot and pushed to the background more than the other FFs.

She still does shit anyway. So aside from being annoyed with Sally holding her back, which yeah, I can understand how that can be grating, (and that looked like it was changing come the Shattered World Crisis climax) I don't see how that's a major issue. 

3 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I understand. I'm not saying new characters can't be comic exclusive or in the series, but I'd rather it not be at the expense of the characters I'm sure most have come to see. Or at least for more of those characters to maybe get development in one book like Sonic Universe or whatever. Like we have a Sonic, Tails, Knuckles story, and a new character that came from that interested readers, so then say a Sonic Universe like story on the side is dedicated maybe to their background or a story for them. And not something like here's so and so character....and I guess like Tails and Big or Cream and Rouge are there cause eh.....why not....

I don't think anyone wants the characters they like be at the expense of others. But people need to realize that sharing or altenating focus a development doesn't equate to that--the characters that a lot of people came to see don't need to hog it, else the other characters can't get their chance to shine and end up with a self-fulfilling prophecy with those same people asking "why are they here, they don't do anything."

That's what I know irritates long time fans who are more interested in a good story with their favorites possibly in it--the game cast still gets a  large degree of priority by mixing in with the non-game cast that are involved, and there are plenty of issues that prove that, so this scorn for the non-game cast for getting spotlight comes off as overly entitled given that fact. The Freedom Fighters alone are representative of this, and their latest form had the game to non-game character ratio in the game cast favor as far as numbers go.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

I don't think it's overly entitled to want the cast of Sonic that is mainstream to take priority. Though to be perfectly honest I've always disliked the idea of Freedom Fighters to begin with. I like it as a last ditch effort thing like what they tried with Forces, but not an all the time kind of thing to have. I'd rather stories be from multiple POV's from different parts of the world. Like Sonic & Tails are doing this. Knuckles is doing this. Eggman is doing this. I did like the idea of the Egg bosses though, that was cool.

To address that Sally and Cream point, I guess that kind of feeling is not liking other characters treated as above game characters I guess. Like Eggman doesn't really have a boss or anything above him, so all the new characters help support and enhance his image as well as army. Meanwhile I believe Sally led the Freedom Fighters and giving orders so it feels more like her team or something. I guess it's that kind of petty feeling. I'm sure people woulda been upset if like Snivly was giving orders.

• Thumbs Up 3

16 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or not, but I really hope we just start with a complete blank slate with these IDW comics. I want Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Eggman, and the characters I know, and not the 90's cartoon characters I never watched. I don't want the Sally's, Bunnie's, Nicoles, whatevers. I just want the iconic characters to be the ones to follow. And that's not me saying those other characters are bad or whatever....cept for Scourge that seemed really dumb. It's just I get completely lost/disinterested when any focus is on them. Especially when characters I want to see take a back seat to them. As much shit and pure potentially unrivaled hatred I give Sonic Boom, at least it always focuses on at least one or all of the main cast, and doesn't make them a back seat to some other folk.

As an outsider as well as a person not groomed/not raised with those characters in a sub series, I can't bring myself to care for em. I am not against them returning, but so long as it doesn't take away from the characters I want to see front and center. I don't want the iconic characters to become supplementary/background characters to their stories. If anything I'd rather it be the flipside. Though I do understand the ire some long fans have. I think those comics have gone on for so long, it's about time for a new fresh take that will allow a new generation of people/readers to follow along. Or an older generation who never really followed the comics/SATAM.

This. I don't want to see anything from SATAM, Underground, etc. Just the cast from the Sega games and definitely some comic exclusive characters created by Ian Flynn. I'd also love to see the obscure sonic characters like Fang, Bean, Bark, Mighty, and Ray. Hell, Flynn could even incorporate characters, like Tiara Boobowski, from scrapped games.

Everyone's here talking about whether the Freedom Fighters should or shouldn't come back, and here I am wondering if we'll see more of Tyson Hesse's artwork.

Seriously I need to see more of his Sonic. It's glorious.

2 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

Everyone's here talking about whether the Freedom Fighters should or shouldn't come back, and here I am wondering if we'll see more of Tyson Hesse's artwork.

Especially that Cover art. Hmm hmmm

56 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

They couldn't incorporate Tiara even if they wanted to, there's legal tape surrounding her. 

How so?

10 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

He might do some covers and occasional interiors if invited, but he's confirmed that he's not on the interiors regularly. 

8 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

How so?

We don't 100% know, but what we do know is that Ian hinted that he was after getting her to appear in the comic, but then later said there was a snafu surrounding her when asked about it so she never got to appear at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

He might do some covers and occasional interiors if invited, but he's confirmed that he's not on the interiors regularly.

Hell I'd settle for just covers. That first one was so good I'd hang it on my wall (Sega get on that).

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

I don't think it's overly entitled to want the cast of Sonic that is mainstream to take priority. Though to be perfectly honest I've always disliked the idea of Freedom Fighters to begin with. I like it as a last ditch effort thing like what they tried with Forces, but not an all the time kind of thing to have. I'd rather stories be from multiple POV's from different parts of the world. Like Sonic & Tails are doing this. Knuckles is doing this. Eggman is doing this. I did like the idea of the Egg bosses though, that was cool.

To address that Sally and Cream point, I guess that kind of feeling is not liking other characters treated as above game characters I guess. Like Eggman doesn't really have a boss or anything above him, so all the new characters help support and enhance his image as well as army. Meanwhile I believe Sally led the Freedom Fighters and giving orders so it feels more like her team or something. I guess it's that kind of petty feeling. I'm sure people woulda been upset if like Snivly was giving orders.

Yeah. Don't worry. You're not entitled for having a preference and desiring something that fits to your liking. Acting entitled is something a little bit of a step above just having a different opinion. Something a little more cynical, mean, and intolerable. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

No, but the entitled part comes from not letting other characters have either a major or minor role worthwhile in the plot, which is what I was referring to.

That's just narrative and character dynamics, dude. No one was upset when Snivley was giving orders, particularly when he took over either because Eggman was incapable of doing so or because he made a power play, both of which he's done several times. Sally was giving orders because she was best capable of coordinating things while they went in the thick of things, but that doesn't make her over someone like Sonic in an official capacity--a character can still be a main star even if they're not leading the team. There's tons of media out there of such things.

• Thumbs Up 4

If Sega allowed Archie comics to make a final comic that would lead to the beginning of IDW Sonic it could've involved with the Phantom Ruby with its power causing distortion in Sonic's world.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

She still does shit anyway. So aside from being annoyed with Sally holding her back, which yeah, I can understand how that can be grating, (and that looked like it was changing come the Shattered World Crisis climax) I don't see how that's a major issue. 

It can still irritate those who like Cream, yet had to see her do way less stuff then characters like Big and Charmy. Though, you do have a point in that the little she did is better than her doing nothing like in recent games.

Funny thing, I'm not 100% sure about the fact whether I saw SatAM (though I'm somewhat certain I did see some of X at some point) as a kid or not, but still I can tell you my hazy memory didn't give me any hints about the FF if I did see it when I started to read the comics.

I did know about the core game characters and about some others as well, yet I had no idea about this whole non-game characters thing, I really hadn't touched recent games and even less of an idea I had at that point about how interesting the Sonic fanbase was at that point so I had literally no other ideas than the most casual ones what I was getting into. I was case 1 casual for crying out loud!

And I digged the characters anyway. Yeah, I'm the crazy one but really, even if this comes out pretty hypochritically, the most important thing, when we get down to it, is the flow of the story. That's what I liked about the comics, and I liked the characters too. For me, Sonic had a "comics first, games second" value order.

I've said, pretty hypochritically and selfishly, it'll become painful for me if the characters I got invested in aren't in the new one, but you know what hurts more? The fact they've told nothing and still keep telling us to buy it and like it! I'm not too used to that kind of marketing so it pretty much rubs me on the wrong way. I hate being told to like stuff I know veeery little about, especially when I have so little money in my pockets. Yes, I know Mr. Flynn will make it awesomely and all, but it's still telling me what to do without giving me any space to use my own damn stupid brains for once. I hate to be told what to use my money on! I hate to be told to like something blindly, even when I know Mr. Flynn can pull it trough just fine. There's still the fact I might not dig some tiny nuance and decide it doesn't fit for me anymore to read Sonic comics for that one little nuance. How should I know when I know ~nothing about what's coming?

About art; At some point, I'd love to see Mr. Yardley do some artwork. And Spaz. And ABT.

Heck, after what Adam Bryce Thomas did with the unpublished SU artwork I'd buy the first issue just for him doing the artwork, and that's a lot coming from me. He has my respects just that much.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Confession: I don't really care about the whole FF's. All I wish is to Nicole to "survive". I still have hopes on seeing her being written in a way that uses her potential to the fullest.

Flynn has created a better background story in Spark of Life (honestly, anything is better than the mess it was, about Rotor building her and sending back in time...), but the way he wrote the characters, especially Nicole's character interactions, was just... shameful. Full of opportunities but never grasping them. Kinda like Sonic Forces, lmao

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a thought. Maybe Sally was telling the 5 Year old Girl to not go into the middle of battles because the comics separate Game play logic from story logic?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

7 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Here's a thought. Maybe Sally was telling the 5 Year old Girl to not go into the middle of battles because the comics separate Game play logic from story logic?

While I do see where your coming from (that it can be dangerous to send young kids go battle) Sally's comfortable sending in Tails, who is 8 which isn't much of an age gap, and Cream has been shown to be a capable fighter like in the PPP arc, during the Ambush arc, and when she helped defend Castle Acorn. Plus, remember that most of the games are canon so there's Advance 2 and 3 and Battle to consider.

30 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

She's 6 but if Sonic Wiki is accurate it's kinda BS since Cream and Charmy are the same age.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

She's 6 but if Sonic Wiki is accurate it's kinda BS since Cream and Charmy are the same age.

Plus, Sally doesn't seem mind having Charmy fight.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Plus, Sally doesn't seem mind having Charmy fight.

I guess it helps that Charmy is under custody of Team Chaotix and Cream is more under Sally's care with Vanilla's permission.

Anything happens to Cream, it will be Sally's ass on the line.

• Thumbs Up 3