Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

10 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

He is a Master Planner, I mean he manipulated Robotnik and Rogue into Gerald’s (and Black Doom’s) plans of destruction.  

Gerald would be more so the master planner then. He built the cannon to counter Doom, then later brainwashed Shadow to triggering earth's destruction, while the latter was just following his (re)programming.

• Thumbs Up 3

Spoiler

So what does anyone else think of the ending of the bad guy miniseries, with Starline deciding that he should give up trying to prove himself and just focus on using his own methods to take the world for himself? Still believe he will end up suffering fro his own short sightedness

The only problem I have with how Shadow's been handled so far is that they haven't really taken the time to get us into Shadow's head. Shadow, more than any other character, plays things close to his chest; most of the rest of the cast is incredibly straightforward, or if they're shifty, it's obvious to the point of being a joke, but Shadow is just walled off. And there's probably multiple reasons for that, but I feel that part of it is that they're still trying to throw together everything all at once. Even this "small" arc has like 10 major characters juggling 2-3 separate stories; it can never slow down and tease out the motivations of the character least likely to offer them willingly.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Gotta agree that Bad Guys ended on a bit of an anticlimax, but I'm used to that from Flynn at this point. For what its worth, it accomplished what it set out to do, and hey, we have an actual Rogues Gallery now so that's something to look forward to. 

It's something I've been saying about Ian for years. He's good at characterization, build up/set up and tension but his major issue is pacing and forming a resolution cause his story arcs just come to an underwhelming end. Still this story arc more than the main book tho if it means anything. 

Shadow is a character that is defined more by the story arcs he's at the center of than his own personality. While his personality doesn't exactly take a backseat, the focus of his plotlines are generally external rather than internal. So I'm assuming this is Sega's attempt at making him into a character that's driven less by the plot, and more by his own personality. I like the idea of it, but the execution of it is why so many problem have a problem with it. They're overplaying his negative traits and forgetting that underneath all of his "edginess" that yes, he has the capacity to care and empathize even if he rarely expresses it. 

I get that Shadow is an introverted character, which means its difficult to express his personality without going overboard but without really being privy to his thought process, he comes off as unnecessarily aggressive and dismissive. His actions probably make sense to him, but unless the audience is aware of that, it falls flat. I don't need to like every action Shadow takes, but I should be able to understand. 

I didn't like when he tried to commandeer Angel Island and the Master Emerald from Knuckles back in Total Eclipse, but I at least understood WHY he did it and it makes it easier to accept. 

2 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

It's something I've been saying about Ian for years. He's good at characterization, build up/set up and tension but his major issue is pacing and forming a resolution cause his story arcs just come to an underwhelming end. Still this story arc more than the main book tho if it means anything. 

Yea, like I said, I've just accepted it for what it is. I still enjoyed the arc overall for what its worth. 

I remember when it used to be theorised that Ian's pacing issues came down to the four-issue structure that Archie had forced him to adhere to - because that was their structure for all arcs - four issue storylines that could easily be bundled into an affordable graphic novel (Although that became a moot point when Archie also became cheap as hell, and reduced the quality of the GNs down massively, while still demanding the same price).

It seemed like this was the case, since Worlds Collide was 12 issues, and that was fairly decently paced out, with a alright conclusion, since each act had four issues a piece, and there was a solid beginning, middle, and end to the storyline.

But I don't know man, I can't think of a satisfying conclusion that Ian's really managed to do since WC. Worlds Unite is insulting with how idiotic it was, and how much of an absolute unsatisfying ass-pull it was (Sigma is so OP that they literally just have to 06 the plot of the storyline and erase it). 

The Shattered World Crisis was alright, I guess - although with the events that would happen just two to three issues later, I'd be lying if I said it didn't have a bad taste nowadays.

Battle for Angel Island was kind of alright, if not rushed by being forced into a single issue. But it had some decent ideas.

The Metal Virus arc on the other hand was absolute crap IMO. An epilogue with not nearly enough time to breath, bringing up ideas that have literally zero point to them because they can't be explored properly (Mr. Needlemouse), a needless battle in an arc that was already non-stop action for nearly 20 issues with no room to stop and breathe, and very lazily resolving the conflict that resided at the story's core (Sonic just throwing away all of his doubts about Eggman, and how he indirectly led to the Metal Virus arc by letting Eggman stay free, and it ends with Sonic just saying "Oh, I'll stop you whenever you start something Eggman!!").

I do honestly think that Ian really is just hindered by conclusions. He's had plenty of chances where he isn't hung up by the 4 issue format, and still can't stick the landing with conclusions IMO.

The most effective one to me was Worlds Collide. I remember being on the edge of my seat for #252 following Eggman ramming down Super Sonic and attempting to destroy everything in one final jealous fit of anger. When everything just shattered into broken glass, and desolved into white, the next month was a painful wait to see just what the hell Eggman did. But even at that, Ian pretty much had no choice to do that with the forced reboot and lawsuits occurring, so it's difficult to tell how much that was Ian, and how much that was him being forced to figure out how to reboot.

• Thumbs Up 3

Every single conclusion to an arc in this book has been a dud, but it seems like the scheduling and production is kind of haphazard behind the scenes so I wonder how much of it is Ian's fault. We'll see how Evan does with endings, I guess?

3 hours ago, RadicalLaRuby said:

Gerald would be more so the master planner then. He built the cannon to counter Doom, then later brainwashed Shadow to triggering earth's destruction, while the latter was just following his (re)programming.

Is that the Shadow The Hedgehog story? I recall SA2 being different. 

Spoiler

I like Starline's poison attack and his logo, which is a reference to the glitch in Knuckles Chaotix

9 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I like Starline's poison attack and his logo, which is a reference to the glitch in Knuckles Chaotix

Game Apologist just uploaded an entire video about that glitch last week. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I must be the odd man out because honestly I've never really gotten this feeling that the four issue arc's end poorly. More often than not I feel they give a pretty satisfactory end.

But especially nowadays where one arc is not the complete story but just half of it I try to personally wait for them to be completely over and read altogether before I form a final opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

I’ve always seen them as no different to the “to be continued” endings we’d see in multi-part series due to the ongoing nature of the comics.

Only time I’ve really had problems with the endings were when it had pacing problems, but I usually don’t have as much a problem with them so long as they end and build up the next incoming threat.

Spoiler

Ending reads like Starline's going to take advantage of the fact that he's a comic-exclusive character to develop and learn unlike Sonic and Eggman, who are bound by their Sega status-quo mandates.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I’ve always seen them as no different to the “to be continued” endings we’d see in multi-part series due to the ongoing nature of the comics.

\

There are ways to close a story arc while keeping the overarching narrative going better than they've been doing in this comic. The conclusion they end up reaching pretty rarely feels like it has anything to do with what they've been building up.

49 minutes ago, Wraith said:

There are ways to close a story arc while keeping the overarching narrative going better than they've been doing in this comic. The conclusion they end up reaching pretty rarely feels like it has anything to do with what they've been building up.

I know because I’ve seen better before Sonic went to Archie, which had similar lacking moments as well.

I’m just lenient in that aspect regardless due to the ongoing nature. Mind you, I haven’t been able to keep up with IDW as often as I did with Archie for outside reasons, so I can only offer so much input over what’s going on.

2 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Is that the Shadow The Hedgehog story? I recall SA2 being different. 

Oh I was referring to both games  as a whole. Just that Gerald's usually the one pulling the strings. 

The ending of Bad Guys kinda makes that cover for the main book confusing.

9 hours ago, The Deleter said:

Before that happens it's far more likely SEGA will lax off on the mandates themselves. They obviously brought them into play to standardize the characterizations of Shadow and whoever else across all branches of media, in a "Paper Mario can't have toads with different body designs" for the sake of series homogeny kind of way. Once they've got this, the TV show, the movies, and whatever else they have planned, they'll have accomplished what they set out to do in the first place in terms of brand consistency, and probably will back off from how strictly they demand portrayals. Look at Sonic X; they didn't have any problem with that series developing him further than what he was originally, even though he had to be exactly as he was in SA2 when he was introduced.

It's funny you bring that up since Shadow was originally supposed to be in the series more as a part of Eggman's team.

7 hours ago, Diogenes said:

The only problem I have with how Shadow's been handled so far is that they haven't really taken the time to get us into Shadow's head. Shadow, more than any other character, plays things close to his chest; most of the rest of the cast is incredibly straightforward, or if they're shifty, it's obvious to the point of being a joke, but Shadow is just walled off. And there's probably multiple reasons for that, but I feel that part of it is that they're still trying to throw together everything all at once. Even this "small" arc has like 10 major characters juggling 2-3 separate stories; it can never slow down and tease out the motivations of the character least likely to offer them willingly.

That's a good way to put it.

5 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

What glitch?

14 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What glitch?

340?cb=20120426072858

In Knuckles Chaotix, there's a character fans call Wechina, that is a glitched out version of Knuckles.

In the game, his name is a line of stars.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

340?cb=20120426072858

In Knuckles Chaotix, there's a character fans call Wechina, that is a glitched out version of Knuckles.

In the game, his name is a line of stars.

This glitch came to mind when I remembered blue Knuckles. They both have odd data that's shared with Tails in some way.

I just read the finale to the Bad Guys series.

Would you look at that? A final issue that didn't feel rushed at all. I'm glad when Ian manages to pull it off. This was a really well paced story with a ton of fun set-pieces and character moments. It's a shame what happened to Starline and Zavok's developing bromance but that's the nature of being a baddy. I also really enjoy seeing Starline just admit to everything that's been wrong with him up to this point and how he needs to chill with the prideful demeanor. His new lease on life seems to be what's going to cement him as his own thing going forward.  I'm rooting for him to make it big in his own way. Hopefully this'll be good, humble beginnings for a new evil badass in his own right. 

It's gonna suck not having constant Sonic comics to look forward too every two weeks again though. Hopefully, the next mini-series or that Classic Sonic comic gets here soon.

17 hours ago, Wraith said:

Every single conclusion to an arc in this book has been a dud, but it seems like the scheduling and production is kind of haphazard behind the scenes so I wonder how much of it is Ian's fault. We'll see how Evan does with endings, I guess?

I disagree partially. Neo Metal Sonic saga finale was okay, it set up Eggman's glorious return, Metal Sonic unexpectedly achieved his goal of bringing him back, surprisingly, while the heroes disbanded finally. It was nice.

But issue #29 is my favorite finale so far, with the climax before them going super, although the fight was super short, it was heartwarming to see everyone in relief, and then worried again at Sonic's disappearance, it was a good cliffhanger that should have taken more time IMO. This is also why I'm not a fan of issue 32. Now that was rushed.

Tangle & Whisper, the Metal Virus epilogue and Bad Guys have the only bad endings for now.

As for my favorite arc so far, you know what? It's still season 1, it was a good introduction, nice mystery villain gimmick, payoff, then heroes team up in the final arc, while setting up the next arc, it wasn't too short, and we still have consequences to Eggman's time as Tinker through Belle. So it's a perfect jump-in arc. 

Metal Virus not only last for too long, but it was like "Ian was gonna leave so they needed to do it immediately after the first arc" if it was meant to be an Archie ending, then do it later in IDW...

I didn't mind the build up to the apocalypse, even though I think I enjoyed the final arc more. At that point I was tired of the Metal Virus and wanted out, now I'm already looking forward to the next major arc although I'm liking what we have now.

Also, hot take: I'm glad Evan put Shadow in this non-major threat level arc, I know SEGA gets in the way as always and Shadow acts like he wants to fight only, and that is all that gets approved, but at least they tried, and who knows, it may end well? I still think it was a good opportunity to have him around, to work around the mandates, and he should NOT be gone from the book just because of bad writing, just improve him, don't you think? I'm definitely not done with Shadow as a fan of the character.

1 hour ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

....just improve him, don't you think?

No, this isn't a thing.

This won't be a problem for Evan as she just got the chance to start writing him, but no, the answer for problematic characters isn't to force yourself to keep using them as if that will magically make them better.

Shadow is a character with restrictions, so the only reason they should keep using him is for testing boundaries....since he's the only one who's causing trouble to begin with.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:42 AM, Kuzu said:

You know the backlash is bad when both Evan and Reggie had to step in.

I'm two days late but I wanna drop this link to a question Evan answered on Tumblr.

I may not like Shadows character in this series so far but I'm gonna reserve judgement until the full issue comes out.

Also it was speculated to come on Dec 30th but now comixology is saying it comes on Jan 6th 2021.

Never did I ever think we'd get some Toy Kingdom Zone Artwork.

I love how Badniks from different Advance Games are sprinkled in the background :D

EqGQoFHUwAEeymR?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Sending warm holiday wishes from all of us at SEGA!

We also have more Christmas outfits

EqFC759W8AA_ARM?format=jpg&name=large

A very quick Merry Christmas doodle!

• Thumbs Up 5