Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Alright, #37

After last lukewarm arc and ensuing debate that wasn't all that fun, I went into this issue actively trying to be positive. And considering I had pretty bad day at work, I was in perfect position to sympathize with Belle. In brief, I'm on board so far. (But as always the case, value of this issue will depend on quality of next 3).

If there is one down side it's Belle herself. She still doesn't grab me, nether personality wise or as mystery. IDK, maybe because book tries too hard to make me feel bad about her? And I really hope there is more to her backstory than "Tinker build her". Also I'm starting to question her tail-kick thing. Who design it that way? I get it that toys have functions like that, but 1) She's alive and can move on her own. 2) positioning is really uncomfortable to use unless you're a giant holding her in your hand.

Lastly, only I think she's a little bit like Gold from Archie comics? She's female made by Evan Stanley, nervous, not fully controlling her abilities, tied to villain (sorta), and with mysterious past.

On positive site, Tangle is great as always. It's almost unfair how she keeps stealing spotlight. Little part of my brain keep accusing her of being shallow, but frankly, she's just fun. I think it's because her optimism is really infectious.

Helped by ABT's art which is once again quite gorgeous. So many background characters, great faces and there is Gadget from Rescue Rangers hidden in 1 panel. And I think the Restoration is hidden under Silver's garden, that's kinda neat.

Which leads us to climax and I guess I'll finally put spoiler box.

Spoiler

Like I said before, Even likes making mysteries and this one gives just tons of questions.

What is this place?

Is Eggman behind it or someone else?

Why would anyone put Egg Pawn witch chalk there? As a clue?

My only guess is that Even Stanley really wanted to make a cooler "Null Space" and this is some form of Special Zone... which really doesn't answer any of the questions.

So yeah, this is a bit more engaging than "person in a hood" mystery.

For now call me cautiously optimistic about this arc.

• Thumbs Up 3

I do like how Evan is a bit more of a slow burner  in terms of storytelling, and the focus is more on the setup than getting straight into the action. This issue served two purposes of integrating Belle into the cast, and setting up just what the hell is this Tower that Eggman has built. I'm still not completely sold on Belle yet, but it's clear they're trying to build up this mystery surrounding her origins, and Tangle is fun as usual; she's really just an adrenaline junkie isn't she. Still don't know what the deal with this tower is, or Eggman is actually trying to do, but it's just nice to see Sonic, Tails, and Amy together, a very underrated trio that is. 

• Thumbs Up 2

My taste might be entirely different, but I usually love the mystery, and Belle feels like the most relatable character of them all, being shy and insecure, not believing in herself. One thing I'm not liking is things are getting extra slow right now, and I'm gonna have to wait another month sans possible further delays, ugh. Belle's mystery is already no one's secret, between her design and "Dr. Eggman is not my dad".

The tower seems the one mystery I can't unfold yet. Smaller and more focused cast I quite like, plus Belle and Tangle are quite the team up.

I just want more Knuckles and Eggman at this point. And Blaze.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm interested a lot in the Trap Tower stuff, but I have to admit, for some reason, the Restoration felt off to me, or at least - mildly mean-spirited? Like, I remember that there was some talk earlier about Belle being a bit uncanny, but the way she was treated her felt weirdly...distrusted for some reason. Amy and Jewel kind of pawn her off to the machine workshop quickly, Lanolin (IIRC - that's her name) seemed to have a constantly annoyed expression while guiding her, you had all of the random people talking behind Belle's back as if Belle was some uber-creepy robot design or something, and then her getting kicked out of the Machine Workshop over several accidents, idk. 

Spoiler

I know Belle messed up several things, but it felt very oppressive, as if everyone was immediately against her and just waiting for an excuse to validate themselves. Part of me also has to admit I'm starting to get weary of the Restoration as a setting in general too. It didn't really hit me until this issue, but it felt weird how much of all this had so much paperwork and busywork involved, and felt more like an army ready to fight off Eggman's assaults again. Ironically, it feels a bit more militaristic than even the Freedom Fighters in Archie, between Amy requesting equipment, everyone having scheduled tasks, and the whole chain of command deal.

The other thing is Belle. She's not really doing much for me at the moment, and I feel like it's in-part because of the mystery Evan's trying to build. I wouldn't be that against it, but like - it's kind of obvious she's a creation of Eggman when he was in the Mr. Tinkerer persona, and it was so easy to guess from the very beginning. Her colour scheme is 1 to 1 to Mr Tinkerer, her tool-set is a direct copy of Tinker's tools, she was found in an Eggman base, implying she was either incomplete or not activated yet when Eggman took her with him, she clearly has some connection to Eggman etc, it feels like Evan's making this whole mystery an integral part to the character, but it's not really a mystery and it's kind of ridiculous that it's being treated as a core part of the arc that should keep us guessing. There's parts of her I like, but I feel like the whole mysterious aspect doesn't work too great when the mystery is so obvious.

The stuff with the Trap Tower was pretty interesting at the very least, and Sonic, Amy and Tails is a fun trio, and I can't until next issue where we'll get to see more to the tower itself, but this issue felt a bit off to me, personally. Hoping things pick up again next issue.

Spoiler

I guessed way back when Sonic first found her that they were building up to a subplot about her being treated differently because she's a robot. My guess is that's where the "meanspirited" attitude is coming from. Belle's insecurities are going to be doubled when she realizes everyone is inherently suspicious of her. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

I'm not gonna be too critical of the "mystery" surrounding Belle. It's been almost three years since the Mr. Tinkerer storyline, so its likely many younger fans have likely forgotten about it. I'm not making an excuse, I'm just aware of the target demographic of this series, who probably aren't as inclined as most of us adults to critically analyze everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

I kind of like the idea of there being some resentment or fear towards robots after the entire Metal Virus arc.  Eggman really messed with a lot of people's minds after turning a good portion of the populace into robots(or nearly in some cases).  The fact that the Restoration would have some members be resentful against Belle is understandable but it's something that needs to be worked out, just like anything else.  Always a pleasure to see good ole' Tangle. :)  She makes up for Sally's absence in having that one character to look forward to in the comic for me.   I also loved her little moment in feeling guilty about running out on Jewel and wanted to turn back but Belle quickly took care of that notion.  Looking forward to 38(sooner than later...really IDW, get it together!).

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Kuzu said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm not gonna be too critical of the "mystery" surrounding Belle. It's been almost three years since the Mr. Tinkerer storyline, so its likely many younger fans have likely forgotten about it. I'm not making an excuse, I'm just aware of the target demographic of this series, who probably aren't as inclined as most of us adults to critically analyze everything.

Spoiler

Well see, I mentioned this before, but Belle denies to Tails that Dr. Eggman is her creator.  So I think the bigger drama isn't about a secret reveal. It is more about why she is lying, or if she genuinely does not know that Mr. Tinker and Eggman are the same person, or is just in denial. If she didn't actively deny it that means somehow her mindset is not accepting facts. 

I think most of the "drama" being built up has to do with her personal conflict rather than a mystery.

• Thumbs Up 1

The best part of the issue for me was Tails staring in anger at the chalk in his hands. Never before has a genius mind ever looked so disgruntled and confounded by a mere piece of chalk.

I hope whatever this arc does ends up giving me a mind-fuck. I could use one of those right about now.

• Thumbs Up 3

#37 is out, Eggman's got a new tower, the mystery of Belle continues, but most importantly... Lanolin gets lines! And interacts with people! She'll have her own book in a year's time.

Still, I enjoy this. I must admit, yeah, Belle isn't quite clicking with me, which is a little bit of a shame. I feel like I clicked with Tangle, Whisper, Jewel, the Skunk Brothers, Starline... Maybe it'll help when she starts to bond with another character like Tangle? And yeah the robot shaming thing, while making sense, does seem a little weird since I don't think it has ever really been established in this particular book before. I mean, Omega is literally a former Eggman robot and I don't think I've seen anyone give him shit for it. (Although if they did, they'd risk getting shot for it I imagine.)

Still, hoping to grow on Belle more, maybe after the mystery with her is resolved, which I'm kindof hoping will happen by the end of this little arc, I don't see the point of prolonging it. The tower facility seems interesting, feels like a very different kind of story. Just hoping it isn't just mindless running around. I like the new Restoration HQ, hope we get to visit it often. Really think this book could benefit from having a home base of some kind and I like the little we've seen so far. I think Jewel is really working in her new role.

I just enjoy Sonic just being affable with everyone. And Tangle is infectiously optimistic. I don't know, I like these characters even if they can be fairly simple personality wise sometimes. It feels very refreshing compared to the sortof bogged down feeling the Archie comics often felt like. Tangle reminds me on Mina in a way, but in Archie Mina tried to be a Freedom Fighter but couldn't due to lack of experience. Feel like Tangle getting to do her own thing with her own ability with no ifs and buts just feels pleasant and fun.

So yeah, I'm having fun with Evan Stanley. Hoping the rest of the arc is good. And hey, more Lanolin the better.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:32 PM, Sonictrainer said:

ABT posted a reference sheet for Linolin

EvA8PxUXYA0v-TZ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Just make her a officially named character at this point.

She is an official character, that's why he posted the reference sheet. She's been pitched at Sega, approved, and will futurely be used in the recurring role of "resistance member". A secondary character to Jewel, who's already a secondary character. Still a background character, just now an officially approved one rather than a design sneaked in.

• Thumbs Up 3

56 minutes ago, The KKM said:

She is an official character, that's why he posted the reference sheet. She's been pitched at Sega, approved, and will futurely be used in the recurring role of "resistance member". A secondary character to Jewel, who's already a secondary character. Still a background character, just now an officially approved one rather than a design sneaked in.

Wait, really? Is there a source on this? I just assumed he made his own character sheet just because, similar to how he keeps including her in the background.

If she is official, I'd think he (or any of the other staff) would announce because a fan character being "official" would be pretty surprising news. Although, I'll be surprised Sega would approve a preexisting fancharacter without any tweaks or edits whatsoever. Even Evan had to design the background character in the annual (rooster and owl) from scratch w/ feedback.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gonna have to agree that I don't really dig this issue while still being open to whatever she'll bring.

I guess it's because there's less of Belle in and of herself and more of setting up her place in the world, in contrast to the other characters primarily being about selling either themselves or their connection to another character we're familiar with. Not to mention that most of them were introduced in an eye catching way, established a memorable mood, and then we're given time to stew until their next appearance--even Tangle was ultimately some nobody with an odd physical trait; meanwhile, Belle is just kinda around when Sonic & Tails visit where she was and immediately stuck around as something to have be around continually without the gravitas or surprise factor Starline had, since she was already shown off beforehand like Tangle and I think Whisper(who is better than both of them, mind) were.

Her design/color scheme may also contribute to this, as her clown nose stands out way more than even Sonic & Antoine's bean noses on her facial structure and its pink color has this weird effect of throwing off whatever balance her orange hair may have had on her green clothing. It's worth noting that she is explicitly kinda sketchy now rather than being an obvious doe held under fruitless suspicion, as she's noting that she has to be careful not to make anyone ask more questions. Which make it seem less like an ambiguous case of denjal and more like she has something to hide.

On 2/24/2021 at 1:56 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

. Also I'm starting to question her tail-kick thing. Who design it that way? I get it that toys have functions like that, but 1) She's alive and can move on her own. 2) positioning is really uncomfortable to use unless you're a giant holding her in your hand.

Yeah, I'm really questioning why it would even be there.

On 2/24/2021 at 1:56 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Lastly, only I think she's a little bit like Gold from Archie comics? She's female made by Evan Stanley, nervous, not fully controlling her abilities, tied to villain (sorta), and with mysterious past.

Oh?

I guess I see something, but I think that's more a product of Gold not getting a chance to really go anywhere beyond what we know of her background and what was said after the fact.

On 2/24/2021 at 3:15 PM, Jack-ted said:

I just want more Knuckles and Eggman at this point. And Blaze.

I could go for a Knuckles story about now, yes.

On 2/24/2021 at 3:29 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'm interested a lot in the Trap Tower stuff, but I have to admit, for some reason, the Restoration felt off to me, or at least - mildly mean-spirited? Like, I remember that there was some talk earlier about Belle being a bit uncanny, but the way she was treated her felt weirdly...distrusted for some reason. Amy and Jewel kind of pawn her off to the machine workshop quickly, Lanolin (IIRC - that's her name) seemed to have a constantly annoyed expression while guiding her, you had all of the random people talking behind Belle's back as if Belle was some uber-creepy robot design or something, and then her getting kicked out of the Machine Workshop over several accidents, idk. 

Hide contents

I know Belle messed up several things, but it felt very oppressive, as if everyone was immediately against her and just waiting for an excuse to validate themselves. Part of me also has to admit I'm starting to get weary of the Restoration as a setting in general too. It didn't really hit me until this issue, but it felt weird how much of all this had so much paperwork and busywork involved, and felt more like an army ready to fight off Eggman's assaults again. Ironically, it feels a bit more militaristic than even the Freedom Fighters in Archie, between Amy requesting equipment, everyone having scheduled tasks, and the whole chain of command deal.

The other thing is Belle. She's not really doing much for me at the moment, and I feel like it's in-part because of the mystery Evan's trying to build. I wouldn't be that against it, but like - it's kind of obvious she's a creation of Eggman when he was in the Mr. Tinkerer persona, and it was so easy to guess from the very beginning. Her colour scheme is 1 to 1 to Mr Tinkerer, her tool-set is a direct copy of Tinker's tools, she was found in an Eggman base, implying she was either incomplete or not activated yet when Eggman took her with him, she clearly has some connection to Eggman etc, it feels like Evan's making this whole mystery an integral part to the character, but it's not really a mystery and it's kind of ridiculous that it's being treated as a core part of the arc that should keep us guessing. There's parts of her I like, but I feel like the whole mysterious aspect doesn't work too great when the mystery is so obvious.

The stuff with the Trap Tower was pretty interesting at the very least, and Sonic, Amy and Tails is a fun trio, and I can't until next issue where we'll get to see more to the tower itself, but this issue felt a bit off to me, personally. Hoping things pick up again next issue.

Not really? I mean Sonic was quick to assume she was a Badnik in a darker space, so it makes sense that the still recovering resistance would take notice.

As for everyone else, though, not really seeing it: Amy and Jewel wanted to get back to touching base with Sonic and Tails in the command room, Lanolin seemed more bothered at the two girls being adverse about Belle especially when she can hear them, and the Orangutan guy(who's even hippy like) seemed chill n down with her regardless. He only got upset she she nearly got crushed and made it clear that he's just as worried for her safety alongside everyone else's, especially when Tangle apparently mucked up worse in one incident.

But yeah, the chance of an Untwist is pretty strong

10 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Wait, really? Is there a source on this? I just assumed he made his own character sheet just because, similar to how he keeps including her in the background.

If she is official, I'd think he (or any of the other staff) would announce because a fan character being "official" would be pretty surprising news. Although, I'll be surprised Sega would approve a preexisting fancharacter without any tweaks or edits whatsoever. Even Evan had to design the background character in the annual (rooster and owl) from scratch w/ feedback.

Evan's confirmed it in the IDW News discord server.

image.png.c11e332735c48904bbe1ab7456caf6f2.png

(the "not for now" regarding someone asking if she'd ever be explicitly named in-comic)

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, The KKM said:

(the "not for now" regarding someone asking if she'd ever be explicitly named in-comic)

Ooh thanks for the screenshot, that's pretty darn cool. I was skeptical because ABT posted the image without any comments. 

Still, very surprised considering she started out as an artist's OC. Wonder if minor characters are allowed more freedom? Also curious if some of the other characters I vaguely remember seeing several times are included in this category.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm imagining it was just luck, per se- they pitched the design to sega only now, as if it were a new character, and lucked that sega didn't really feel the need to have the design changed

14 hours ago, The KKM said:

Oh I wasn't aware of that. Great for them that they managed to bring her in as a official minor character.

On 2/25/2021 at 12:06 AM, Silvereyes said:

#37 is out, Eggman's got a new tower, the mystery of Belle continues, but most importantly... Lanolin gets lines! And interacts with people! She'll have her own book in a year's time.

Still, I enjoy this. I must admit, yeah, Belle isn't quite clicking with me, which is a little bit of a shame. I feel like I clicked with Tangle, Whisper, Jewel, the Skunk Brothers, Starline... Maybe it'll help when she starts to bond with another character like Tangle? And yeah the robot shaming thing, while making sense, does seem a little weird since I don't think it has ever really been established in this particular book before. I mean, Omega is literally a former Eggman robot and I don't think I've seen anyone give him shit for it. (Although if they did, they'd risk getting shot for it I imagine.)

17 hours ago, The KKM said:

To be fair, Omega never really cared about being around others. If anything, he'd probably take such aversion as either a compliment or a chance to flaunt.

5 hours ago, The KKM said:

16 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Oh shoot, is she?

Wow, I guess they just really liked ADB's design as up to snuff with their standards that she got an okay even after what happened with that cover.

That or she falls under the radar enough for her popularity that they honestly didn't mind as long as she passed through the proper channels.

• 2 weeks later...

Some awesome art of the Sonic Girls from Evan Stanley.

Ev-QEtqVgAMigsk?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Happy #InternationalWomensDay  to all of the women on and off screen who continually inspire us every day!

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Some awesome art of the Sonic Girls from Evan Stanley.

Ev-QEtqVgAMigsk?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Awesome!!!

Also, I don't know why I just noticed this now, but the tower in our story does look like a Giant Star Post.

WonderCon panel with comic news (including IDW's plans for the Anniversary) happening on the 26th. Now I'll have this AND the release of the Banjo and Kazooie amiibo to look forward to on that particular day. Full details:

The creative minds behind IDW’s blockbuster Sonic The Hedgehog comics break down Sonic’s 30th Anniversary in 2021. The team will announce details about the Sonic 30th Anniversary Comic Special with guest appearances by top-secret blockbuster talent who will be writing Sonic comics in 2021!

Panelists:
Bracardi Curry, colorist/Inker/cover artist of Sonic The Hedgehog (Ongoing) and Annual 2020

Evan Stanley, writer/artist of Sonic The Hedgehog (Ongoing)

Gale Galligan, writer of 30th Anniversary Special and Sonic FCBD

Ian Flynn, writer of Sonic The Hedgehog (Ongoing) and Bad Guys

Michael Cisneros, manager of licensing, SEGA of America

Moderator:
David Mariotte, editor

Start time: Mar 26, 2021 11:00 am (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)

End time: Mar 26, 2021 12:00 pm (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, that's pretty cool. It does feel like in a way the 30th anniversary special will replace the annual for this year I guess. Hopefully it'll come out in June/July.

• Thumbs Up 1