Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Please sir Ian? A moresol of Freedom Fighters? A dollop of Team Hooligan? A whiff of the Egg bosses? I'm oh so very hungry 

30 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Please sir Ian? A moresol of Freedom Fighters? A dollop of Team Hooligan? A whiff of the Egg bosses? I'm oh so very hungry 

None of those are up to him. Besides the Hooligans showing up in that Classic Sonic comic they announced before.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, Dangerous Duck CC14 said:

Gale Galligan, writer of 30th Anniversary Special and Sonic FCBD

So the 30th Anniversary Special will be written by a new person ? Pretty interesting ! I've looked a bit the work of Gale Galligan (basically I've just gone on her website and looked at the cover), and it seems to be a "feel-good"/"feelings" oriented judging from the covers, and I'm pretty interested to see what direction she'll give to Classic in her written, it could be interesting after ~5 years of the Megadrive/Mania Adventure style we got (not that I'm saying how it was done was bad, just that I'm interested to see how she'll do it).

I'm really curious.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ian is writing something, he teased an usual knowing smile hashtag.

As for the 30th special, what will it be about? I'm assuming something standalone from whatever the games will be doing, or will it be like a sneak peek?

Freedom Fighters aren't coming back, like them or not, Katie from social media answered that plenty of times, and so is not anything Archie related or Boom related.

Honey is definitely likely for the classic mini, and Mighty and Ray and the Hooligans are a lock. Yeah, I think I'm hyped for the classic series but I'm just curious about the 30th one.

Also, they are calling it a "blockbuster" yay, more power to IDW Sonic.

2 hours ago, Jack-ted said:

Freedom Fighters aren't coming back, like them or not, Katie from social media answered that plenty of times, and so is not anything Archie related or Boom related

OH I didn't realize this was a definitive thing rather than a maybe maybe not , rip that sucks then 

They'll never say it's a definitive no since legally, it's still possible, so it's only on the realm of the companies wanting, which could feasibly happen some day.

It's just so very, very, very, very unlikely to happen, and so very, very, very unlikely to happen anytime soon, that there's no point asking for it or waiting for it. You know there's people in IDW who'd like it to happen, so whenever the circumstances allow for it, they'll do it. But meanwhile don't hold your breath.

1 hour ago, The KKM said:

They'll never say it's a definitive no since legally, it's still possible, so it's only on the realm of the companies wanting, which could feasibly happen some day.

It's just so very, very, very, very unlikely to happen, and so very, very, very unlikely to happen anytime soon, that there's no point asking for it or waiting for it. You know there's people in IDW who'd like it to happen, so whenever the circumstances allow for it, they'll do it. But meanwhile don't hold your breath.

Thats pointless to not ask. Whining gets plenty done and it encourages IDW and SeGA to be in talks. Not likely, but less point not doing it. 

Only if you dislike the Freedom Fighters which I dont. 

Katie explicitly repeated there are no plans to bring Sally back, who is the one people keep asking for. Besides I am tired of asking, I lost characters I cared about too but I'm willing to let them go, their story is over I guess, and I know there are legal hurdles and complications for these things to happen other than Sega saying "fuck the past" (I know they like doing that). People can choose to keep being vocal about forgotten characters, I want to enjoy the new book and its stories personally.

32 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Thats pointless to not ask. Whining gets plenty done and it encourages IDW and SeGA to be in talks. Not likely, but less point not doing it. 

Only if you dislike the Freedom Fighters which I dont. 

It'd be pointless not to ask if you didn't have multiple old Archie staff members, who like these characters, working in the comic, and thus obviously pushing for it.

What's possible to be done right now is already being done. And meanwhile all you're doing is being the person who brings this albatross into every conversation if you keep pushing for it whenever they say "we have an announcement" etc. You're (general you, not you specifically) drowning the comic in the shadow of what came before, basically, out of a mistrust that staff aren't also wanting to bring that stuff back as soon as they can, which is just absurd in the case of us talking about people like Flynn.

IDW's had the license for like 3 or 4 years. They already know there's demand. People already made that very clear. They literally hired Ian because of demand. If they haven't brought back the FF already, it's obviously because they can't yet.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is why I keep my expectations low, even if I’m hoping for that news to arrive.

It’s not like it’ll never happen—ask and ye shall receive. But you’ll be in for a long wait if history is any indicator.

And of course, when it does happen, be ready to be potentially disappointed. Based entirely on SatAM, Archie-introduced elements gone, radically different designs, etc.

Would you be happy with getting StC-O's Sally instead of Archie's? Because that might be the level of difference, in the end.

13 hours ago, Dangerous Duck CC14 said:

Gale Galligan, writer of 30th Anniversary Special and Sonic FCBD

1. I think they were probably gonna announce that at the panel so...whoops. 2. New Writer! I'm interested in seeing what she can do and hopefully this special will actually be collected in a trade unlike the Team Sonic Racing one!

6 minutes ago, The KKM said:

And of course, when it does happen, be ready to be disappointed. Based entirely on SatAM, Archie-introduced elements gone, radically different designs, etc.

Um...no, because as much as I didn’t want the last reboot, I still enjoyed it because it kept the spirit of what I wanted from Sonic.

And as much as didn’t want IDW to drop the characters from Archie, I still enjoy it for the same reasons.

The only way I’m going to be disappointed is if the writing team is forced to do to the characters what they did to Shadow because Sega has no idea how characterization works. But I’m not anal over different directions and designs and such; or rather, I encourage them as long as they keep the spirit intact where I can recognize them.

Just now, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Um...no, because as much as I didn’t want the last reboot, I still enjoyed it because it kept the spirit of what I wanted from Sonic.

And as much as didn’t want IDW to drop the characters from Archie, I still enjoy it for the same reasons.

The only way I’m going to be disappointed is if the writing team is forced to do to the characters what they did to Shadow because Sega has no idea how characterization works. But I’m not anal over different directions and designs and such.

Yes, forgot to add the "potentially", there lol. There'll be fans of the new versions, both old fans ok with new interpretations and new fans entirely. Just saying that a lot of the fans asking for them aren't quite considering the radical changes that'd happen if it did happen.

Wasn't it revealed that Emails claiming that Archie owning the redesigns of the Freedom Fighters were faked by Richard Kuta?

Honestly if just if there's a chance I almost hope the book does a 30th Anniversary story of it's own which includes a crossover between the IDW continuity, the Post-Reboot Archie continuity and the STC continuity. Maybe if the rumors of the next game leading into Prime are true then maybe even have the plot slightly tied to the events of the 30th Anniversary game.

9 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Wasn't it revealed that Emails claiming that Archie owning the redesigns of the Freedom Fighters were faked by Richard Kuta?

Honestly if just if there's a chance I almost hope the book does a 30th Anniversary story of it's own which includes a crossover between the IDW continuity, the Post-Reboot Archie continuity and the STC continuity. Maybe if the rumors of the next game leading into Prime are true then maybe even have the plot slightly tied to the events of the 30th Anniversary game.

Probably except that Mr. Flynn has had even more direct contact with Sonic Team since Idw started, including Iuzuka-san himself, and explicitly stated that is the case.

He also mentioned that IDW has been passing around ideas for what they could do with in the event they got the go ahead.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Probably except that Mr. Flynn has had even more direct contact with Sonic Team since Idw started, including Iuzuka-san himself, and explicitly stated that is the case.

He also mentioned that IDW has been passing around ideas for what they could do with in the event they got the go ahead.

Fair enough. I just think it'd be fun to crossover the big 3 comics for the 30th Anniversary. Like even if it's just a one time thing.

Though preferably it'd maybe lead to an Archie revival as a second ongoing but that's hoping for too much.

9 hours ago, SBR2 said:

First I've heard of this. Does anyone have the relevant links?

43 minutes ago, Pengi said:

First I've heard of this. Does anyone have the relevant links?

Mhmm.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I don't get is why SEGA is so against legacy characters. There's a huge audience for them. Other IPs like TMNT thrive by acknowledging the past continuities and reimagining them.

So why are SatAM/AoStH characters such a hard sell? Really boggles the mind.

5 minutes ago, Mega said:

What I don't get is why SEGA is so against legacy characters. There's a huge audience for them. Other IPs like TMNT thrive by acknowledging the past continuities and reimagining them.

So why are SatAM/AoStH characters such a hard sell? Really boggles the mind.

I mean, the simple the answer is that they don't consider them legacy characters lol. They don't care about them. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I have few guesses:

1) They lost Archie, Fleetway is in the air, I have no idea what's with Sonic X, but there is something off about it. So Sega said
"Screw it, do-over. Clean slate, We leave old stuff behind and for chaos sake, let's keep all the paperwork straight this time."

2) Absolutely pathetic attempts at having "pure Sonic". Fandom is so divided that's it's time to remove all the branches. Failure of Boom was final nail that convinced them to do that. Now it's "pure Sonic only."
"But Sega, you just released movie, announced new cartoon and split Modern/Classic Sonic into 2 separate being. How it that..."
"Stop trying to confuse me with your human-logic!"

3) This might be economical decision. There is money in promoting movie or IDW, but not in promoting long dead cartoon.
Sally Acorn fandom is waaaay smaller that Sonic's. But real problem that they overlap, like very uneven Venn diagram.
In other words. How many Sally Acorn fans aren't ALREADY buying Sonic stuff? 5%? 1%?

Not that Sega will tell us this, since
A.) Never burn bridges, you might always change mind later
B.) Hey, those Rally4Sally guys are doing free advertisement. If we put Sally in, they would stop banging on about our game.

• Thumbs Up 6

10 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I mean, the simple the answer is that they don't consider them legacy characters lol. They don't care about them. 

I mean yeah pretty much this. They're weird American creations they had barely any involvement in. 

Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see a revival of the Archie comic (honestly I'd rather that then just trying to hot glue the Freedom Fighters onto IDW continuity) but it's really just not very likely to happen.