Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

A couple of things I want to get off my mind:

Archie characters and canon immigrants in general I feel are the perfect fit for the comics, because there is more time here to deal with the extended cast. So yeah it would not be a problem.

I don't want IDW to become Archie. 2.0. either, I feel like it should be games focused which it is, it is strictly Modern Sonic here. Abd honestly they are vastly different from Archie so far. Just look at the less world building and cast size differences.

Eggman is 100% game Eggman, an asshole, immature and doesn't care about anything, pretty egoistical. Besides he has done plans on par with zombie apocalypse in recent games.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure Archie stuff is off limits because Ian said it, Ian obviously wanted the Freedom Fighters back and he said that. Imo they can only be brought back in a reboot fashion.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Slashy said:

I can't see games/X Eggman wanting the whole world to be mindless zombies.

...he's already tried that at least 3 separate times...

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Slashy said:

I can't see games/X Eggman wanting the whole world to be mindless zombies. He would probably use the virus as a threat and at the very least be concerned when the zombots stopped responding to commands.

Didn't Eggman suck the life out of an Alien species, Blow up the Planet, Suck the life out of the planet and  straight up conquer it in the games though?

I'd say that as usual the difference is one of tone and nuances- Eggman's done all that, but what're the negative, shown, slowly over 18 months focused over consequences of any of that? Again, logically Eggman's a much worse villain than, say, Hannibal Lecter, but if in Eggman's case he does silly absurd dangerous things that we don't focus hard on the negative effects of and then they're solved, while Hannibal just kills a few people but in gruesome detail, Hannibal will feel more threatening.

There's probably other nuances, but the main reason IDW Eggman will feel different from Games Eggman is simply that a game about Zombots wouldn't have spent 18 months focusing on the cast one by one being picked off in emotionally distraught ways. They might even say all that happens, but it'd be done in quick scenes and likely often off-camera.

• Thumbs Up 1

The main reason why Eggman comes off as less threatening in the games is due to the format of the games; they're not focused on exploring the ramifications of the actions Eggman takes, because there's more focus on the gameplay. 

The only thing Flynn does is just show the logical consequences of how Eggman's actions would actually affect the cast. There's nothing really different about him otherwise. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

The main reason why Eggman comes off as less threatening in the games is due to the format of the games; they're not focused on exploring the ramifications of the actions Eggman takes, because there's more focus on the gameplay. 

The only thing Flynn does is just show the logical consequences of how Eggman's actions would actually affect the cast. There's nothing really different about him otherwise. 

THIS. It's why Colors has some stakes that really would feel like a big thing, but it never truly gives off the feel. Ensnaring worlds and draining creatures should feel huuuge...but somehow they make it feel like it's not that big a deal.....

50 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

....but somehow they make it feel like it's not that big a deal.....

Tone & Limited scale

Implications aren't a replacement for depth or consequences in a story most of the time and Eggman's plan was surprisingly not that far along.

We have the cover for the FCBD Issue

Ews2dR3XEAsRLIb?format=png&name=900x900

Sonic The Hedgehog 30th Anniversary FCBD will be releasing on August 14, 2021. 

EDIT: Here's the textless version

EwtvNoFXMAQ9wz4?format=jpg&name=large

Tracy Yardley: Big thanks to IDW_David_M for letting me do another Sonic #FreeComicBookDay cover after a lot of years. Here’s a good look at the clean art with a fun theme on the legacy of Sonic in comics!

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

We have the cover for the FCBD Issue

Ews2dR3XEAsRLIb?format=png&name=900x900

Looks pretty cool!  I wonder what the story will be about.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://mobile.twitter.com/IDWSonicNews/status/1372273178194632704

The Sonic 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition is coming out in October. It'll feature a new story revolving around Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Mighty and Ray gathering the Chaos Emeralds in different season based zones. As well as a few different backup stories.

I don't know if this is a trade paperback or an OGN but I'm betting the FCBD story is like a teaser for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Re: Eggman, I was talking more about how he's presented tonaly, rather than what he's actually doing. I think of Eggman from like X and the earlier games as this guy who does terrible things but is so lighthearted about it. He grins and chuckles when he hits you, creates adorable robots, poses like he's a beloved entertainer, calls himself a romanticist, ect. The latest games feature him as a more common cartoon villain where he's always seen scowling, yelling and ranting at his minions, brooding, strategizing like a warlord and grumbling about how much he hates that hedgehog. IDW's version essentially just looks deeper into that kinda thing, making him come off more dark and SatAM-like (especially with stuff like him chokeslamming Starline). I just find it a wee bit less interesting than the comedic yet sociopathic Eggman. That being said the stuff with Mister Tinker and that being buried in his subconscious, only to come out when he's forgotten his ego, or his affection for Metal Sonic is great and leans more towards that older Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 2

Should be interesting, I guess. Got to be honest though, I have little interest in "Classic Sonic". I mean, I liked the Mania Adventure shorts, but honestly I'd rather have whatever this 30th special turns out to be tie-in to the IDW run, rather than it being it's own thing, especially with no annual this year. But y'know, that's just my opinion. I'm sure Ian Flynn will do a good job with it, and I guess with current Sega mandate, this will be the only way to get more stuff with Ray and Mighty, and who knows, perhaps Team Hooligan will get to turn up in this?

I defintally want more of IDW eggman goign forward. For the goofy eggman he is welcome to stay in the classical universe where that tone is well the tone of the series now. Goofy and whimsical with a splash of action here and there. Modern eggman/comic eggman is much more interesting to me cause he is an actual threat. He actually makes sonic suffer and sonic has to overcome greater odds against a villian with an actual plot and drive to conquer the world rather than a comical eggman who constantly makes cute robots sonic and normally just walk around. I honestly dont think classic sonic ever struggles against that eggman.

As for the 30th anniversary book as long as they leave classic sonic in his own universe/time frame and modern in his ill be a happy camper :)

• Thumbs Up 1

New covers 

uj6ymfsqrqptfjasexyg.jpg

fyskijtbr95otp7pk4ph.jpg

Flynn, alongside Hammerstrom and Graham on art, will write “Seasons of Chaos,” which sees Sonic go on the hunt for the titular Chaos Emeralds with his friends Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Mighty, and Ray. Galligan, teaming up with Rothlisberger, will invert the usual Sonic lens to focus on his villainous foe, Doctor Eggman, in “Dr. Eggman’s Birthday,” highlighting that this is also his 30th birthday. Lastly the McElroys will work with Fonseca to answer the age-old question: what happens when the fastest being alive tries to get behind the wheel of a car? The answer might not be Sonic Team Racing in “Sonic Learns to Drive”!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/celebrate-sonics-30th-birthday-in-style-with-idws-new-a-1846504743

Congragulations to @The KKM for getting the chance to draw in a Sonic comic book. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

21 hours ago, Natie said:

Re: Eggman, I was talking more about how he's presented tonaly, rather than what he's actually doing. I think of Eggman from like X and the earlier games as this guy who does terrible things but is so lighthearted about it. He grins and chuckles when he hits you, creates adorable robots, poses like he's a beloved entertainer, calls himself a romanticist, ect. The latest games feature him as a more common cartoon villain where he's always seen scowling, yelling and ranting at his minions, brooding, strategizing like a warlord and grumbling about how much he hates that hedgehog. IDW's version essentially just looks deeper into that kinda thing, making him come off more dark and SatAM-like (especially with stuff like him chokeslamming Starline). I just find it a wee bit less interesting than the comedic yet sociopathic Eggman. That being said the stuff with Mister Tinker and that being buried in his subconscious, only to come out when he's forgotten his ego, or his affection for Metal Sonic is great and leans more towards that older Eggman.

So grandstanding vs plotting?

14 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I defintally want more of IDW eggman goign forward. For the goofy eggman he is welcome to stay in the classical universe where that tone is well the tone of the series now. Goofy and whimsical with a splash of action here and there. Modern eggman/comic eggman is much more interesting to me cause he is an actual threat. He actually makes sonic suffer and sonic has to overcome greater odds against a villian with an actual plot and drive to conquer the world rather than a comical eggman who constantly makes cute robots sonic and normally just walk around. I honestly dont think classic sonic ever struggles against that eggman.

:)

I don't see why those have to be mutually exclusive?

So I guess the Deluxe Edition is a Hardcover version of this. Neat. I am wondering how long each story is since the Hardcover is at least 92 pages and there seem to be 3 stories in here.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So grandstanding vs plotting?

I don't see why those have to be mutually exclusive?

cause when you make a villain to goofy they come off less threatening aka classic eggman. Oh he is still "evil" and attempts to conquer the world but is so comical that from the start you know he wont. At least idw eggman nearly brought about a end to everyone even if not how he meant to do it nor what he wanted.

Looks like the Deluxe Edition will also include a bonus fourth story:

"Check out a few more variant covers for the issue below, as well as a look for the deluxe edition of the issue releasing later this year—which features bonus material including a new story by Galligan, scripts, and a cover gallery."

3 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

New covers 

uj6ymfsqrqptfjasexyg.jpg

I like this cover a lot, I dunno, nice colors, and the theme of seasons which I've always liked in art. I find it interesting to base a whole story around the concept of seasons, I'm kinda curious.

3 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/celebrate-sonics-30th-birthday-in-style-with-idws-new-a-1846504743

Congragulations to @The KKM for getting the chance to draw in a Sonic comic book. 

Congratulations!

After years of trying to read every Archie comic ever, I am so close to finally achieving that goal. I am on issue 273. 

But, I came here to say I absolutely cannot wait to start the IDW comics. I have been subscribing to the comic ever since it started (I got the Halloween promo issue). Shout out to G-mart Comics for the sub! This may sound crazy but I haven't read any of them yet. I wanted to finish the Archie series before starting it. So this is a long time coming.

Speaking of Archie, here's a treat: this press release for the Anniversary one-shot reveals that the two retail incentive variant covers will be done by Tyson Hesse...and Patrick Spaziante! Spaz is back!

Also solicits:

YoT74vx.jpg

StH #42

Ian Flynn (w) • Adam Bryce Thomas (a) • Priscilla Tramontano (c)

“Zeti Hunt,” part two! Now that Zavok has his pack, it’s time for them to make a big move. But Jewel the Beetle, newly appointed Restoration leader, has called on Sonic, Tails, and the Chaotix to run interference. Will they be able to stop the Zeti and make it home in time for spaghetti!?

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

GKeFMRz.jpg

StH 30th Anniversary 

Ian Flynn; Gale Galligan; Justin, Travis, and Griffin McElroy (w) •Aaron Hammerstrom & Reggie Graham, Mauro Fosenca, Thomas Rothlisberger (a) • Sonic Team (c)

After 30 years of going fast, it’s time for fans to celebrate the speediest hedgehog of all time! It’s an unbelievable birthday celebration for Sonic the Hedgehog with his first Classic Sonic special!

First, in “Seasons of Chaos” by longtime Sonic scribe Ian Flynn and artists Aaron Hammerstrom & Reggie Graham, Sonic goes on an adventure from pleasant spring valleys to wintry wonderlands in search of the Chaos Emeralds. But Sonic’s not alone, with a little help from his friends Miles “Tails” Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, Amy Rose, Mighty the Armadillo, and Ray the Flying Squirrel, they’ll race, fight, and fly their way to victory against the baddest of baddies!

Then, in “Dr. Eggman’s Birthday,” the vile, villainous Dr. Eggman takes center stage in a story written by New York Times bestseller Gale Galligan (The Babysitters Club)! And how does the bad doctor celebrate the occasion? Only his Badniks know for sure…

Finally, in “Sonic Learns to Drive,” Sonic’s up against a tough challenge: Driving! When the fastest thing alive can outrun any car, will Sonic have the patience to learn… or will he finally get left in the dust? Written by the hosts of My Brother, My Brother, and Me, The Adventure Zone, and New York Times bestsellers, the McElroy Brothers!

Grab a slice of chili dog cake and don’t get left in the dust on the most way past cool book of the year!

FC • 80 pages • $8.99

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Dangerous Duck CC14 said:

Speaking of Archie, here's a treat: this press release for the Anniversary one-shot reveals that the two retail incentive variant covers will be done by Tyson Hesse...and Patrick Spaziante! Spaz is back!

I'm so happy to see Spaz getting to work on this series but I'm so miffed it's for a cover I won't be able to buy lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Mmm, Zeti spaghetti...

The 30th anniversary story sounds fun. Sort of a new take on the super popular Mega Drive trilogy duology that Archie did.

And congrats, @The KKM! And a big yay also to Spaz finally making his way to IDW. Felt weird having a new Sonic comic without the most prolific artist in the Archie comic's history involved.

• Thumbs Up 1