Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

55 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

I don't think we have confirmation about fish in general. Octopus feels like a special case since they can look humanoid enough without adding additional limbs. If they're gonna do fish again, I hope they're more weird and underwater-y instead of "regular mobian with fish theme". 

I was actually being literal with that, as Mimic is an unused Archie character that happened to work well as a villain for Whisper.

I was pleasantly surprised with how they handled most of the aquatic cast on the tail end of Archie. Opal the Jellyfish was great.

As for their current standing, we already know from prior lessons with Jewel that Sega is evasive when it comes to new insect characters (although to be fair, that could be due to their size, rather than their species). While we have no official insight on marine species, they do for the most part at least dodge the most glaring issue facing the insect cast.

It might also be worth noting that as long as Vector is around, we have a semi-aquatic species to build off of. Might be worth it to go through other similar species like Hippos, Otters, Beavers (we got a Beaver in Boom lol) and Seals Before we jump the shark over to sharks and fish again lol.

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I think a fish's body plan is closer to a human's than an octopus' is...

Eh, you get what I mean. Ocopus can 'look' human in a Octodad way. Can't do the same with a Jellyfish who's 95% water and doesn't really have a face/head/brain. Or when you gijinka a dolphin and give them humanoid proportions with legs, it doesn't feel fishy anymore.

I'm sure they were playing it safe, but having marine mobians that live in completely different environment from land mobians sounds like a perfect opportunity to go crazy with them. There's a bunch of weird fishes of various shape and sizes after all.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I was actually being literal with that, as Mimic is an unused Archie character that happened to work well as a villain for Whisper.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. 

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

As for their current standing, we already know from prior lessons with Jewel that Sega is evasive when it comes to new insect characters (although to be fair, that could be due to their size, rather than their species). While we have no official insight on marine species, they do for the most part at least dodge the most glaring issue facing the insect cast.

It might also be worth noting that as long as Vector is around, we have a semi-aquatic species to build off of. Might be worth it to go through other similar species like Hippos, Otters, Beavers (we got a Beaver in Boom lol) and Seals Before we jump the shark over to sharks and fish again lol.

I kinda wanna see an axolotl. They're a weird middleground of fish and amphibian.

11 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Eh, you get what I mean. Ocopus can 'look' human in a Octodad way. Can't do the same with a Jellyfish who's 95% water and doesn't really have a face/head/brain. Or when you gijinka a dolphin and give them humanoid proportions with legs, it doesn't feel fishy anymore.

Honestly I don't really agree. Even as inhuman as a jellyfish is, it's not that much more inhuman than an octopus as far as its shape goes; about the only difference I can see in "Sonicifying" them is that the latter already has eyes. And looking at Mimic, all they really did was take the stock Sonic character body structure and add tentacle hair, no reason they couldn't do something similar with a jellyfish (and did at some point in Archie Sonic, apparently).

That's not to say I wouldn't be interested in wilder takes on Sonic character designs rather than the same body 99% of the time, but there's hardly anything you can't represent by slapping a few key details onto that basic form.

On 3/21/2021 at 10:47 PM, Diogenes said:

Honestly I don't really agree. Even as inhuman as a jellyfish is, it's not that much more inhuman than an octopus as far as its shape goes; about the only difference I can see in "Sonicifying" them is that the latter already has eyes. And looking at Mimic, all they really did was take the stock Sonic character body structure and add tentacle hair, no reason they couldn't do something similar with a jellyfish (and did at some point in Archie Sonic, apparently).

That's not to say I wouldn't be interested in wilder takes on Sonic character designs rather than the same body 99% of the time, but there's hardly anything you can't represent by slapping a few key details onto that basic form.

I always considered Chaos to be a jellyfish kinda... maybe he actually isn't one lore-wise but the design would have been fine if he was.

#38 is out on Comixology. Nothing too much to say on it I think, kindof your typical part 2 of 4 issue where things just steadily move forward. Still enjoy it though, hoping it builds up to something good.

Tangle continues to be the best thing in this story. Belle continues to be alright, probably a bit better than last issue. The Mr Tinker theory feels more and more likely. Sonic, Tails, and Amy all get a few nice moments, and really do function very well as an actual team. Hoping the idea of combo-Badniks leads to an interesting climax.

Sonic #38 is....eeehh not much. I have really neutral opinion on this issue. Nothing really stands out.

Judging by end of last issue and the cover I though thing will get weirder and weirder, but frankly things only got plainer. We're still in Doctor Who episode, but one with smaller budget so to speak. Stanley's artwork is good, but sadly I'm comparing it to ABT's art last issue, which was better.

And some dialogue is a bit clunky, like discussion between Eggman and his lackeys. IDK, I feel like Flynn would put at least one good joke there.

We got some answers but, well, let's just say I hope there is more to it.

And finally, something I consider biggest missed opportunity of this issue. Belle.

Spoiler

So we're still dragging the "mystery" of Belle's origin. Fine, whatever. A predictable twist can be still fun if told well.

I think that Belle is in denial. All clues point to Eggman being her father, but she refuses to believe Tinker and Eggman are the same person.

And then we get the scene where she's passed by Badniks. This should be the most important moment of this issue, if not the whole arc. This should the emotional rollercoaster. Fear, surprise, denial. Tangle should be surprised, then accusing, then emphatic and supportive.

And it kiiiiinda is, but it goes just way too fast. Remember when Sonic decided to work with Mega Man in Collide. He was like "yeah, this cliche keeps happening, whatever, keep up". Well, Tangle deciding she still trusts Belle has a very similar feel.
And don't tell me "well, Tangle is such a good person, of course, she still trust her". That still deserves an extra page. Even to show Belle's reaction to such an act of kindness.

Who knows, maybe Evan has clever plans for the next 2 issues, maybe I'll be eating those words soon. But  I'm not that sure of it.

Oh, also I'm totally calling this new breed of robots "Combiniks". I'm pretty sure Fleetway Comics won't sue.

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Hide contents

So we're still dragging the "mystery" of Belle's origin. Fine, whatever. A predictable twist can be still fun if told well.

I think that Belle is in denial. All clues point to Eggman being her father, but she refuses to believe Tinker and Eggman are the same person.

And then we get the scene where she's passed by Badniks. This should be the most important moment of this issue, if not the whole arc. This should the emotional rollercoaster. Fear, surprise, denial. Tangle should be surprised, then accusing, then emphatic and supportive.

And it kiiiiinda is, but it goes just way too fast. Remember when Sonic decided to work with Mega Man in Collide. He was like "yeah, this cliche keeps happening, whatever, keep up". Well, Tangle deciding she still trusts Belle has a very similar feel.
And don't tell me "well, Tangle is such a good person, of course, she still trust her". That still deserves an extra page. Even to show Belle's reaction to such an act of kindness.

Who knows, maybe Evan has clever plans for the next 2 issues, maybe I'll be eating those words soon. But  I'm not that sure of it.

Spoiler

I said this before, but I don't think the Belle-Eggman relationship is supposed to be a mystery for most readers over a certain age. The bigger reason it is a plot-point is that it shows us Belle is in denial like you said which adds something to her character. She adamantly tells Tails that Dr. Eggman isn't her creator, so the bigger thing we learn is about Belle's sense of self acceptance. 

• Thumbs Up 3

14 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sonic #38 is....eeehh not much. I have really neutral opinion on this issue. Nothing really stands out.

Judging by end of last issue and the cover I though thing will get weirder and weirder, but frankly things only got plainer. We're still in Doctor Who episode, but one with smaller budget so to speak. Stanley's artwork is good, but sadly I'm comparing it to ABT's art last issue, which was better.

And some dialogue is a bit clunky, like discussion between Eggman and his lackeys. IDK, I feel like Flynn would put at least one good joke there.

We got some answers but, well, let's just say I hope there is more to it.

And finally, something I consider biggest missed opportunity of this issue. Belle.

Hide contents

Oh, also I'm totally calling this new breed of robots "Combiniks". I'm pretty sure Fleetway Comics won't sue.

It's like they pushed Tangle as some sort of kindred spirit to Sonic or something.

But yeah, not really getting much out of this arc/character and just waiting for the Zeti rampage at this point.

Got hold of issue 38 another way since the IDW app is still not right.

It was... okay? I’m not sure where or what it’s building up to at the moment. I’m curious how Sonic, Tails and Amy will be ‘pushed to their limits’ in the next issue or two since they were already pushed to their limits fairly recently in the Metal Virus climax.

Spoiler

ExXnxb0WYAElQdO?format=jpg&name=large

DreddStarin: Oh yeah, since Sonic #38 is out, I can finally share these Badnik fusion designs that I did!

• Thumbs Up 2

The IDW panel is in just a few hours. I'll be at work while it airs so won't be able to watch it live, if it is possible to watch it anywhere, I think Tails Channel might stream it? Be interesting to see if anything gets announced besides more info on the 30th anniversary book.

Welp, time to hype myself like I usually do whenever one of these things happen. Personally, like I keep saying, my hope is that a second monthly book is launched alongside the main Sonic book. Lesser hope is another mini-series. But also could just be nothing but the 30th book and maybe some upcoming issues of the main book.

Ah well, should be interesting regardless.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Silvereyes said:

The IDW panel is in just a few hours. I'll be at work while it airs so won't be able to watch it live, if it is possible to watch it anywhere, I think Tails Channel might stream it? Be interesting to see if anything gets announced besides more info on the 30th anniversary book.

Welp, time to hype myself like I usually do whenever one of these things happen. Personally, like I keep saying, my hope is that a second monthly book is launched alongside the main Sonic book. Lesser hope is another mini-series. But also could just be nothing but the 30th book and maybe some upcoming issues of the main book.

Ah well, should be interesting regardless.

Yeah, Tails Channel is covering the panel on their channel. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Yeah, Tails Channel is covering the panel on their channel. 

I wonder what kind of news we will get regarding the IDW comics?  Is there some big event that will happen in the comics or is it just information that we already know about at this point?  I guess we'll wait and see!

Going in this with low expectations. If it's good, I might try and get back into this comic.

So that sucked. Pretty sure there was no new information at all and the one surprise they had they couldn't even talk about. Makes me wonder why they even did this. 

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

So that sucked. Pretty sure there was no new information at all and the one surprise they had they couldn't even talk about. Makes me wonder why they even did this. 

Yeah, other than a few pages from the 30th anniversary comic, there was literally nothing new, other than Ian's usual teasing of a "big surprise i cannot speak of yet", as well as attempts to drum up hype for the 50th issue. 

The only info we really got is Zeti Hunt will supposedly focus on Zavok attempting to screw with the heroes mentally instead of his usual brawn tactics, and Issue 50 is planned to be a personal story. IDW Collection drops in June, as does the 30th anniversary issue, and the 30th anniversary comic has a story about Sonic learning to drive.

Oh - one more thing - it seems like the Hooligans might show up in the classic story. Ian mentioned there's a ton of characters planned, including ones he wasn't expecting, and we all know he wanted the Hooligans into IDW early, so it makes sense that they'd be these characters Ian wasn't expecting to be accepted. 

Incredibly disappointing. This was all just non-news and saying "we have cool things coming". I imagine we'll get another miniseries before 50.

I mean, another minisseries WAS announced from the start, remember? The one everyone thought was Classic Sonic. Now you guys know it isn't, so you're free to speculate what it is :P

(also consider that had Amazon not released their solicit last week, this would all be news.)

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Ian's usual teasing of a "big surprise i cannot speak of yet"

Ugh, I said it before and I'll say it again, I DO NOT like this at all.

You can't just tell me to get hyped without even hint at what it is. That's just manipulative.

Yeah, I get the idea is "advertising" and marketing for the general market who may not be paying attention to news on forums or Twitter, but it sort of doesn't make as much sense for an online venue. If the panel was part of comic con, and you would get casual passerbys (who may not know about the comics, or whatnot) who could check it out it would make more sense to just repeat old information. Because the event comes to the viewer and you are finding new customers.

But for a niche online event where the viewer chooses whether to tune in,  I am sure 99% of the people who are tuning in already follow a lot of Sonic news. The amount of time used to host an event doesn't really make much sense, especially when all the information could really be summed up in 10 minutes.

I didn't watch it but everythingI heard sounds good to me. I like that they're focusing more on smaller scale more personal arcs after 2 big world shattering ones and that #50 is going to continue that trend. It'll be kinda neat to see a finale and a milestone that's more character centric than just another big epic battle. 

Also loved the promo art I'm seeing from the 30th Anniversary Special. IDK I'm just not personally seeing anything to be upset about. 

Granted I would have liked to know if the 30th Anniversary Special was all we were getting to celebrate the Anniversary with or if the main book will be doing anything but that could be one if the things they can't talk about. 

Plus hey at least we finally got confirmation that Sega does have something in the works.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

501A4681-DF39-4E85-A76B-E61994966021-sca

The "Badniks" in this panel are robot versions of NiGHTS enemies.

In fact, this "Zone" is probably called "Spring Valley", which is one of the first levels in the first NiGHTS game.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The only info we really got is Zeti Hunt will supposedly focus on Zavok attempting to screw with the heroes mentally instead of his usual brawn tactics, and Issue 50 is planned to be a personal story. IDW Collection drops in June, as does the 30th anniversary issue, and the 30th anniversary comic has a story about Sonic learning to drive.

So a game of brains between the Karma Collector and the Master of Chaos, huh? Good to see those angles being brought in.