Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

Its IDW its going to happen eventually. Mostly as a spin off. Godzilla will most likely never happen these days but transformers? Possibly down the line. Crossover are good and what many people who collect comics outside sonic like to see as big events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some kind of cross over is inevitable. I don't care for them though so hopefully it doesn't take over every active book like it did for Archie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 5:39 PM, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Bebop and Rocksteady with Rough and Tumble. Could be a fun combo. 

On the hero side, Amy and April. Casey and Whisper (both mask wearers)?

Starline/Eggman with Baxter Stockman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the very least I think IDW will be smart enough to shunt a crossover off to the side into its own book rather than take over page space in the actual book so it wouldn't necessarily be required reading. As far as I know that's been the case with their other events. The only problem I can foresee is, like TMNT, that sometimes involves including aspects of those events into the narrative (like a Pantheon member being introduced in the Ghostbusters crossover or whatever and being brought up in passing later on which is honestly annoying as fuck) but that may not even be a hard rule.

 

I was pretty ambivalent toward the Mega Man crossovers but was more soured to them due to them hijacking the narrative of both books. I give the first one a pass due to what Sonic was dealing with but it was annoying they did it a second time especially seeing the fallout from the rushed nature of Sonic's last arc or Mega Man's immediate cancellation due to Archie's awful mismanagement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt it will take over any "narrative" most as i said before are usually their own things. At best elements from the last will carry over to another or the sequel while the main book does its own thing. Do not understand why some dislike them. In the comic industry you typically do them to garner more interest in the medium to gain more readers. HARDLY any real comic I can think of in the past 30 years has not had a crossover of some kind. They just happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Its IDW its going to happen eventually.

That's something people need to remember about IDW crossovers. They are not run in the main books like the Sonic and Mega Man crossovers were they're given their own dedicated 4-5 issue miniseries and usually are not super canon. I believe that the only ones they've done that have plot relevance to either book involved are the 2 TMNT/Ghostbusters crossovers and the TMNT/Usagi Yojimbo one (which is also just regular Usagi canon because he was trying to summon the Mirage Turtles he knows but got the IDW ones instead).

Outside of that most crossovers are usually done for fun or in the case of the recent Transformers ones (Ghostbusters and Back to the Future) to promote their collaborations toyline. Oh, man could you imagine a TransformersXSonic Collaborations? The Tornado could be an Autobot. I feel like Tracy Yardley would just have to come back to draw that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SBR2 said:

That's something people need to remember about IDW crossovers. They are not run in the main books like the Sonic and Mega Man crossovers were they're given their own dedicated 4-5 issue miniseries and usually are not super canon. I believe that the only ones they've done that have plot relevance to either book involved are the 2 TMNT/Ghostbusters crossovers and the TMNT/Usagi Yojimbo one (which is also just regular Usagi canon because he was trying to summon the Mirage Turtles he knows but got the IDW ones instead).

Outside of that most crossovers are usually done for fun or in the case of the recent Transformers ones (Ghostbusters and Back to the Future) to promote their collaborations toyline. Oh, man could you imagine a TransformersXSonic Collaborations? The Tornado could be an Autobot. I feel like Tracy Yardley would just have to come back to draw that.

How do you think Transformers and Sonic characters would play off of each other?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EmTiven01 said:

How do you think Transformers and Sonic characters would play off of each other?

Honestly? No

Transformers don't have "characters". At least not iconic.

Autobots have Prime, Bumblebee and Grimlock. Decepticons have Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave. Maybe Shockwave.

Everyone else in state of constant flux. Ratchet is part of first line, iconic, classic. So what's his personality? Prime, Animated and IDW made him old grumpy tired sorta  guy. But it has no reflection in G1 Ratchet. So every new cartoon can change that out of whim.

Say what you want about Shadow being Out of Character, at least every version of him plays anti hero angle. Typical transformer can change from cooky scientist to loose canon rebel in span of 1 cartoon (Wheeljack).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Honestly? No

Transformers don't have "characters". At least not iconic.

Autobots have Prime, Bumblebee and Grimlock. Decepticons have Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave. Maybe Shockwave.

Everyone else in state of constant flux. Ratchet is part of first line, iconic, classic. So what's his personality? Prime, Animated and IDW made him old grumpy tired sorta  guy. But it has no reflection in G1 Ratchet. So every new cartoon can change that out of whim.

Say what you want about Shadow being Out of Character, at least every version of him plays anti hero angle. Typical transformer can change from cooky scientist to loose canon rebel in span of 1 cartoon (Wheeljack).

This is a bit of a simplification. Yes the characters change from show to show, but there's always character to them (outside of most the cyberverse cast) and as long as that exists, it can be played off of. Arguing they don't stay the same really doesn't matter at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, therealfalconpawnch777 said:

This is a bit of a simplification. Yes the characters change from show to show, but there's always character to them (outside of most the cyberverse cast) and as long as that exists, it can be played off of. Arguing they don't stay the same really doesn't matter at that point.

Look I'm just judging from crossover with ponies.

Arcee been girly girl in G1, damsel in distrress in Animated, badass warrior in Prime,  forced transgender in IDW (really).

Doesn't matter. In crossover with MLP:FIM she had to be "vanilla" version, meaning no personality. And Flynn wrote that story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EmTiven01 said:

What if the mandates on Shadow eventually result in his character degrading into something like this?

 

I can see it now. Between stuff like Shadow being characterized like a constant show-offy contrarian jerk and SEGA claiming Team Dark aren't his friends I can easily image some scene where Shadow like tosses Knuckles off of the Ark and has a tantrum in front of everyone.

Shadow: Hey, spines for brains. What do you think you're doing? Off the Ark. OFF THE ARK.
Sonic: You gonna make us, Shadow?
Shadow: No, he is. Omega! Omeg- Omega? OMEGA!? Get up here and do your job. Are you malfunctioning? I said take care of them!
Omega: I am sorry Shadow. I can only agree with them. I can not process what you did as "right."
Shadow: Hmph, what? Am I hearing that correctly? You don't think the ultimate life form is right? Who said your job was to think, bolt brain?
Omega: I-
Shadow: JUST USE THAT VAST RESERVE OF PROCESSING POWER TO CONSIDER THIS FOR A MOMENT, IF IT WASN'T FOR ME, NOBODY WOULD PAY ANY ATTENTION TO YOU AT ALL. In fact, my robotic friend, if it weren't for me you along with the rest of that damn planet would have been obliterated a long time ago so shut your mouth and get. Them. Off. The Ark. Do it. Now, Omega, or I'm throwing you off.

 

For real though, old Woody is such a monster compared to the final movie. Whenever I see this clip brought up again it's always a trip giving it another watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Postmodern Sonic said:

I can see it now. Between stuff like Shadow being characterized like a constant show-offy contrarian jerk and SEGA claiming Team Dark aren't his friends I can easily image some scene where Shadow like tosses Knuckles off of the Ark and has a tantrum in front of everyone.

Shadow: Hey, spines for brains. What do you think you're doing? Off the Ark. OFF THE ARK.
Sonic: You gonna make us, Shadow?
Shadow: No, he is. Omega! Omeg- Omega? OMEGA!? Get up here and do your job. Are you malfunctioning? I said take care of them!
Omega: I am sorry Shadow. I can only agree with them. I can not process what you did as "right."
Shadow: Hmph, what? Am I hearing that correctly? You don't think the ultimate life form is right? Who said your job was to think, bolt brain?
Omega: I-
Shadow: JUST USE THAT VAST RESERVE OF PROCESSING POWER TO CONSIDER THIS FOR A MOMENT, IF IT WASN'T FOR ME, NOBODY WOULD PAY ANY ATTENTION TO YOU AT ALL. In fact, my robotic friend, if it weren't for me you along with the rest of that damn planet would have been obliterated a long time ago so shut your mouth and get. Them. Off. The Ark. Do it. Now, Omega, or I'm throwing you off.

 

For real though, old Woody is such a monster compared to the final movie. Whenever I see this clip brought up again it's always a trip giving it another watch.

Yeah, Woody was a complete asshole in that reel. And just imagine if Shadow were to go from an arrogant blowhard to a cynical, spiteful, and downright vile bully who not only abuses Rouge and Omega, but does things that are flat-out villainous. Just like Woody in those storyboards.

The result would be an issue so awful it nearly gets the comic as a whole cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Postmodern Sonic said:

I can see it now. Between stuff like Shadow being characterized like a constant show-offy contrarian jerk and SEGA claiming Team Dark aren't his friends I can easily image some scene where Shadow like tosses Knuckles off of the Ark and has a tantrum in front of everyone.

Shadow: Hey, spines for brains. What do you think you're doing? Off the Ark. OFF THE ARK.
Sonic: You gonna make us, Shadow?
Shadow: No, he is. Omega! Omeg- Omega? OMEGA!? Get up here and do your job. Are you malfunctioning? I said take care of them!
Omega: I am sorry Shadow. I can only agree with them. I can not process what you did as "right."
Shadow: Hmph, what? Am I hearing that correctly? You don't think the ultimate life form is right? Who said your job was to think, bolt brain?
Omega: I-
Shadow: JUST USE THAT VAST RESERVE OF PROCESSING POWER TO CONSIDER THIS FOR A MOMENT, IF IT WASN'T FOR ME, NOBODY WOULD PAY ANY ATTENTION TO YOU AT ALL. In fact, my robotic friend, if it weren't for me you along with the rest of that damn planet would have been obliterated a long time ago so shut your mouth and get. Them. Off. The Ark. Do it. Now, Omega, or I'm throwing you off.

 

For real though, old Woody is such a monster compared to the final movie. Whenever I see this clip brought up again it's always a trip giving it another watch.

I feel like , The arc is a " don't mess with shadow zone " .  While I think shadow's characterization can get worse and think it will in the future (i will speak on that below ) I feel like they haven't full on gone " maria doesn't exist anymore" there are still references being made to sa2 and I figure if they ever have to be on the arc no one will really bother him because they know the deal. 

11 hours ago, EmTiven01 said:

Yeah, Woody was a complete asshole in that reel. And just imagine if Shadow were to go from an arrogant blowhard to a cynical, spiteful, and downright vile bully who not only abuses Rouge and Omega, but does things that are flat-out villainous. Just like Woody in those storyboards.

The result would be an issue so awful it nearly gets the comic as a whole cancelled.

However I can see something like this. I dunno about abuse because they aren't his friends or team mates anymore, I can see a scenario where shadow is brutally fighting them without any of the regard he had for them previously. Some people took his line from the end of the last arc as development. By the writers own words these characters don't actually develop, its the illusion of development. So the " don't get confused " line he says to sonic is quite likely litterally. No one there should get confused, nothing has changed. He's still a shit. 

I can totally see a scenario where someone at sega has a bad idea and what's to show shadow beating up the other members of team dark in a new game. And have that portrayed in the book, while I don't know about getting the book canceled. It may cause so much of a backlash that sega would actually have to come to terms with what they want to do with shadow. Get rid of him because they want to keep going with whatever plans they have, or change him back. It would be a rare scenario where the material is so bad the people handling the IP for the people who own the IP would have to flat out say " No one is buying this and no one likes this we can't do this " .

And I can see this happening. We are a couple of sega mandates away from that. It scares me to be frank,

All that said a scenario I think is more likely to happen first is. Sega tries to sell shadow toys, they want pack in comics, they see shadow looks bad in all the IDW comics. They get mad at IDW for a somewhat reasonable reason, but don't do the introspection of why those comic's happen and maybe their poor leadership and direction is how we got here. Sega's usual MO, and in that then makes them do a comic where he looks cool but it consists of maybe him killing off some villains. Shadow being thrash  and becoming much more unlikable because sega can't be bothered to change course is the most sega shit imaginable and I can see it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cadence said:

I feel like , The arc is a " don't mess with shadow zone " .  While I think shadow's characterization can get worse and think it will in the future (i will speak on that below ) I feel like they haven't full on gone " maria doesn't exist anymore" there are still references being made to sa2 and I figure if they ever have to be on the arc no one will really bother him because they know the deal. 

However I can see something like this. I dunno about abuse because they aren't his friends or team mates anymore, I can see a scenario where shadow is brutally fighting them without any of the regard he had for them previously. Some people took his line from the end of the last arc as development. By the writers own words these characters don't actually develop, its the illusion of development. So the " don't get confused " line he says to sonic is quite likely litterally. No one there should get confused, nothing has changed. He's still a shit. 

I can totally see a scenario where someone at sega has a bad idea and what's to show shadow beating up the other members of team dark in a new game. And have that portrayed in the book, while I don't know about getting the book canceled. It may cause so much of a backlash that sega would actually have to come to terms with what they want to do with shadow. Get rid of him because they want to keep going with whatever plans they have, or change him back. It would be a rare scenario where the material is so bad the people handling the IP for the people who own the IP would have to flat out say " No one is buying this and no one likes this we can't do this " .

And I can see this happening. We are a couple of sega mandates away from that. It scares me to be frank,

All that said a scenario I think is more likely to happen first is. Sega tries to sell shadow toys, they want pack in comics, they see shadow looks bad in all the IDW comics. They get mad at IDW for a somewhat reasonable reason, but don't do the introspection of why those comic's happen and maybe their poor leadership and direction is how we got here. Sega's usual MO, and in that then makes them do a comic where he looks cool but it consists of maybe him killing off some villains. Shadow being thrash  and becoming much more unlikable because sega can't be bothered to change course is the most sega shit imaginable and I can see it

Funny, that's EXACTLY what almost happened with the first Toy Story. Disney wanted it to have more edge, resulting in the infamous Black Friday reel that almost got the movie cancelled. Hell, even Disney execs hated it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 6:52 PM, EmTiven01 said:

What if the mandates on Shadow eventually result in his character degrading into something like this?

 

Eh, not really. Shadow is too much of an antisocial stick in the mud to even bother with that kind of toxicity.

 

19 hours ago, Cadence said:

 

All that said a scenario I think is more likely to happen first is. Sega tries to sell shadow toys, they want pack in comics, they see shadow looks bad in all the IDW comics. They get mad at IDW for a somewhat reasonable reason, but don't do the introspection of why those comic's happen and maybe their poor leadership and direction is how we got here. Sega's usual MO, and in that then makes them do a comic where he looks cool but it consists of maybe him killing off some villains. Shadow being thrash  and becoming much more unlikable because sega can't be bothered to change course is the most sega shit imaginable and I can see it

Being Thrash or being thrashed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Eh, not really. Shadow is too much of an antisocial stick in the mud to even bother with that kind of toxicity.

 

Being Thrash or being thrashed?

 Being thrash. 

Shadow should kill a bunch of characters people love, people will like our new direction then

I can see that out of touch level happening, then followed by. 

Why didn't people like this new direction, I guess they do not want the adventure era or shadow. So we will not do those

 

16 hours ago, EmTiven01 said:

Funny, that's EXACTLY what almost happened with the first Toy Story. Disney wanted it to have more edge, resulting in the infamous Black Friday reel that almost got the movie cancelled. Hell, even Disney execs hated it!

Out of touch people in positions of power tend to screw up media. Its a thing. And it is unfortunate. 

 

 

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Hey so uh we aren't getting an issue this month.

 

Initially it was gonna come out on May 5th but now they pushed it to May 12th.

At this point I don't even keep track of release dates. The books come out they come out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I wonder why they are delaying the next issue to next month?

Someone commented Sonic looks wrong, so they have to redraw ever panel of him.

Dude, why you're so surprised? IDW delays more regularly than Sonic curls into a ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Someone commented Sonic looks wrong, so they have to redraw ever panel of him.

Dude, why you're so surprised? IDW delays more regularly than Sonic curls into a ball.

This is the first time I've heard of the delays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cadence said:

 Being thrash. 

Shadow should kill a bunch of characters people love, people will like our new direction then

I can see that out of touch level happening, then followed by. 

Why didn't people like this new direction, I guess they do not want the adventure era or shadow. So we will not do those

 

Out of touch people in positions of power tend to screw up media. Its a thing. And it is unfortunate. 

 

 

At this point I don't even keep track of release dates. The books come out they come out. 

Thought so. Thing is, that's clearly not how things were supposed to go with the Knuckles vs Thrash subplot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2021 at 9:49 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Someone commented Sonic looks wrong, so they have to redraw ever panel of him.

Dude, why you're so surprised? IDW delays more regularly than Sonic curls into a ball.

 

Is this for real? I've been wondering why the Sonic series in particular gets delayed so much, and I can honestly see this being true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.