Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Wasn't meant as a mocking on you, sorry, more a lament that even if there were no legal issues, no way modern companies would bother to give shoutouts to StC lol

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't think Fleetway is that out of the cards for a cameo. Probably way less than Archie if some minor deals could be handled. IDW is already a more worldwide oriented company than Archie was, so I'm sure they and SoE could talk some things out.

2 hours ago, The KKM said:

Wasn't meant as a mocking on you, sorry, more a lament that even if there were no legal issues, no way modern companies would bother to give shoutouts to StC lol

I might have overreacted a little. I jump to the worst conclusions a lot of the time. You may have noticed over the years. 

But honestly my point was more just it'd be cool if like they paid those royalties to let the characters from these different various continuities be in just a kinda Worlds Collide style special event. 12 issues 2 book ends 3 issues of the comic and 2 concurrent 3 issue miniseries for Archie and STC running alongside with an Annual to even it out to 12.

I will admit it is a pipe dream but man it would be so fucking cool to see them celebrate the 30th Anniversary by celebrating all 3 big western Sonic comics.

Another day another chapter coming out. Basically I don't really have anything to say, which kinda sums up the run. I feel very apathetic. Which is funny since I feel the idea is cool, but the execution is mundane. The messed up Badniks are about all that have interested me.

Sonic #39

Ehh, I agree with dbzfan7, this one was a bit lifeless.

The dimension gets less fascinating with each issue. Combiniks are still cool, but get like 3 panels. Instead we're waste time with much more generic boss from old game.

Even Tangle didn't exited me today (Chaos know I gave up on Belle). Issue acts like she outsmarted Orbot and Cubot , but I don't know. Did she really had to distraction to take them down. Her last plan was a little cute, but I'm pretty sure  It only worked because she was already going in right direction. I think by 4th gates even those two would figure out what she's doing.

Overall all mostly generic and I really want to get to next arc already.

Eh, I don't think this arc is meant to be that big anyway. Combined badniks look cool, but they're just badniks at the end of the day. Jump on them and they're gone. Main thing I'm interested about this arc is seeing how Eggman reacts to Belle.

So I'm not able to follow the comics but isn't the whole point of Evan's arcs/season 3 in general supposed to be that they're smaller and more character focused? Just seems odd to say that there's no big bombastic action when that's not what they're going for in the first place. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Its amazing how we've gone from wanting them to tone down the scale of these stories, and now we're complaining about how mundane it all is.  Sonic can never fucking win. 

In any case, I don't have much to say myself; this was all pretty clearly setup for the next issue, and there's no real mystery involved in this arc aside from what's happening with Belle, which didn't get much focus or elaboration in this issue. That said, it was cool seeing those elemental Egg Vipers. It's definitely low key and mundane, but I honestly don't see why that's a problem unless you were just expecting more out of this arc. 

• Thumbs Up 3

27 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

So I'm not able to follow the comics but isn't the whole point of Evan's arcs/season 3 in general supposed to be that they're smaller and more character focused? Just seems odd to say that there's no big bombastic action when that's not what they're going for in the first place. 

Yes, exactly. That isn't a bad thing, there just isn't much to talk about.

21 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Sonic can never fucking win. 

Well, that can't be right, the mandates say he has to.

18 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Its amazing how we've gone from wanting them to tone down the scale of these stories, and now we're complaining about how mundane it all is.  Sonic can never fucking win. 

Sonic can win by actually being good.

This arc, though? Not so good. It's not bad either, to be fair, it's just...there. It's like filler, and not even particularly creative or charming filler. Team Sonic's just running around and bopping robots, there's no real goal, no real stakes, no real tension, it keeps hopping between ideas without actually making them matter. There's a little more going on on the Tangle/Belle side, but Belle's business feels both dragged out and not developed enough. Tangle's fun at least but she's not enough to carry the whole arc.

• Fist Bump 1

10 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Sonic can win by actually being good.

This arc, though? Not so good. It's not bad either, to be fair, it's just...there. It's like filler, and not even particularly creative or charming filler. Team Sonic's just running around and bopping robots, there's no real goal, no real stakes, no real tension, it keeps hopping between ideas without actually making them matter. There's a little more going on on the Tangle/Belle side, but Belle's business feels both dragged out and not developed enough. Tangle's fun at least but she's not enough to carry the whole arc.

Whenever Sonic tries to overstep its bounds, it gets slammed for it. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. 

I definitely agree with you about the arc, but this is what people wanted when they said they wanted something "game accurate", and this series reflects what Sega wants Sonic to be. Something simple and easy to understand for easy consumption, and this is particularly after all of the legal bullshit that was happening with Ken Penders in the Archie continuity, and how people were complaining how "that wasn't Sonic".

So now we get something that reflects what Sonic is, and surprise, it's boring as shit. I'm not really surprised or shocked by this, it just illustrates to me that most people in the fanbase have different ideas on what makes Sonic "good" and creators have trouble reconciling that. 

7 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I definitely agree with you about the arc, but this is what people wanted when they said they wanted something "game accurate",

Nah.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

but this is what people wanted when they said they wanted something "game accurate"

Good sequel uses original material as foundation to tell new exiting stories, not 1) wallows in the past 2) burns it into the ground and completely changes everything (I mean the latter can still be a good story, but still)

Did you read Archie Mega Man comic. It was pretty game accurate, but what made it good?
Was it exploration of everyone's psyche , question ethic and implications of world of living robots, expanding the world?
Or was it the fact that Flynn insisted on fighting all Robot Master in order, like games did?

Edited by MetalSkulkBane

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Nah.

Yes, they did. It might not have been what YOU wanted specifically, but it's definitely what fans were complaining about.

They wanted a setting "more accurate to the games" and wanted the focus to be on the game characters, and that's exactly what IDW is giving us. 

3 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Good sequel uses original material as foundation to tell new exiting stories, not 1) wallows in the past 2) burns it into the ground and completely changes everything (I mean the latter can still be a good story, but questionable worth as a "sequel")

Did you read Archie Mega Man comic. It was pretty game accurate, but what made it good?
Was it exploration of everyone's psyche , question ethic and implications of world of living robots, expanding the world?
Or was it the fact that Flynn insisted on fighting all Robot Master in order, like games did?

Flynn was able to do all of that because Capcom allowed him to, something Sega aren't willing to let IDW do any time soon as a result of the craziness that occurred in Archie prior to the reboot. 

And even then, Archie Mega Man didn't last that long unfortunately for whatever reason. 

And the cynical part of me feels like the only reason Capcom allowed it was because they really didn't care much about Mega Man at the time. That was the point in time when Mega Man was a dormant series , and Capcom was focused on it's Western properties. I can't see Sega loosening the leash that much in recent times. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess Sonic characters just have to suck, then. You can't possibly write something similar to the games that is also good, it has to be aimless, lifeless filler. And that's definitely what people wanted, when they asked for a Sonic comic that was more like the games, just more bad things.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

It's why I'm honestly getting done with being in fan circles honestly. It doesn't matter what the games or the shows or the comics do there's always something that is going to make people call it the worst thing ever and frankly after 16 years of being a Sonic fan it's gotten really tiring. Sometimes I think it's best to just enjoy the series on my own and not interact with much of the larger fandom. 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

And even then, Archie Mega Man didn't last that long unfortunately for whatever reason. 

The reason Archie Mega Man didn't last is simple - they launched a Kickstarter to fund their big forthcoming relaunch of Archie and all titles relating to it (Jughead, Betty & Veronica, etc), and they faced massive backlash from comic store owners threatening to never sell their comics again because of it.

Archie - afraid of the consequences - cancelled the Kickstarter and announced they would handle funding the comics themselves. Unfortunately, there was kind of a reason why they needed the Kickstarter, and they took the money from Archie Action to handle the other comic launches.

Worlds Unite was created as an additional measure, because Worlds Collide had managed to successfully boost Mega Man sales in the past, so they were trying it again. Unfortunately, Worlds Unite is also one of the most vapid and boring story arcs done in any of the series, and the gigantic cost for all of the licenses involved ended up being a death-nail for Archie Action, especially since Archie were set on the new Archie reboot universe.

So Archie Mega Man and Sonic Boom were both cancelled, paying the price for Archie's mistakes, all caused by Archie's total mishandling of multiple situations. It had nothing to do with the original approach Flynn took to the MM universe.

• Thumbs Up 4

tfw people ask for a comic that's more like the games but they remember they don't like the game stories either

tenor.png

this arc and the last one were fine. they lightened the stakes and now focus entirely on action and humor, but that was seemingly directly in response to criticism of the last arc being too weighty, so I guess next year they'll try something a little more tense again and the same people will be in this thread talking about how it's too heavy for a sonic comic again. so the cycle goes.

I'm fine with that. I like the variety.

This issue was fine. It's an arc focused on humor/character interaction and they're delivering on that as always. Don't have much to add except I wish we could get more books coming out a month. Would probably alleviate a lot of the criticism if stuff like the Bell mystery was allowed to move along quicker than once every 4 weeks.

• Thumbs Up 7

25 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I guess Sonic characters just have to suck, then. You can't possibly write something similar to the games that is also good, it has to be aimless, lifeless filler. And that's definitely what people wanted, when they asked for a Sonic comic that was more like the games, just more bad things.

You've gone on multiple records saying that you hate the games too, so if you also hate the comics then its just par for the course.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just saying, if a product has tried to address it's perceived issues multiple times and you still find yourself not liking it, the problem is probably with the individual and not the product. 

Some of you probably don't like Sonic as much as you think you do. Or maybe you did like it at one point, and you just let the pessimism consume you to the point where you forgot why you even bothered liking it to begin with. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought these past two arcs being lighter than the Zombot arc was more as a break between it and the next big arc than as a response to people. This is just how comics tend to work. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Okay, let me clarify something. I don't' need "stakes" just "stuff" to happen.

Let's take my favorite issue ever, Sonic Universe #1. Only Sega characters, only game stuff

- Shadow gets to show as emphatic being, relating to Metal Sonic. Great.
= Right back him, Metal show his own interesting point of view.
- Fight is quick, energetic. Has fun ideas, like Metal using Marine as shield.
- Marine is hilarious through whole story.
- Shadow's angry face is priceless.
- Blaze, while gets less time to shine is tough, capable, but shows softer side when asking Shadow to be patient with Marine.

All in 1 issue. Stakes were fairly low, technically it was a filler but bunch of stuff happen, emotion were felt, things were fun. And guess what? IDW did much heavier stories and nicer drawn. But that issue had one things: density

Now what this issue has? What was most exciting moment, most heartwarming, the funniest? I thought whole point of stretching stories into 4 issue arcs is too give to develop ideas, give room for everything. But most of this issue is spend on fighting 4 nostalgia baiting bosses from old times. And fight drawn by competent artists, it looks way nicer than SU#1, but fight choreography isn't great and ultimately nothing is acomplished.
IDW #13 was a 90% filler, but fight was so fun, with so much personality to it that I'm willing to overlook it.

13 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The reason Archie Mega Man didn't last is simple - they launched a Kickstarter to fund their big forthcoming relaunch of Archie and all titles relating to it (Jughead, Betty & Veronica, etc), and they faced massive backlash from comic store owners threatening to never sell their comics again because of it.

Archie - afraid of the consequences - cancelled the Kickstarter and announced they would handle funding the comics themselves. Unfortunately, there was kind of a reason why they needed the Kickstarter, and they took the money from Archie Action to handle the other comic launches.

Worlds Unite was created as an additional measure, because Worlds Collide had managed to successfully boost Mega Man sales in the past, so they were trying it again. Unfortunately, Worlds Unite is also one of the most vapid and boring story arcs done in any of the series, and the gigantic cost for all of the licenses involved ended up being a death-nail for Archie Action, especially since Archie were set on the new Archie reboot universe.

So Archie Mega Man and Sonic Boom were both cancelled, paying the price for Archie's mistakes, all caused by Archie's total mishandling of multiple situations. It had nothing to do with the original approach Flynn took to the MM universe.

I will always always hate Archie for that shit. I loved their Mega Man comic and tge fact they canceled it to fund comics (something they should be able to do as one of the oldest and most well known comic publishers who aren't Marvel or DC) will always piss me off. Just a dumpster fire of a company. 

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Just saying, if a product has tried to address it's perceived issues multiple times and you still find yourself not liking it, the problem is probably with the individual and not the product. 

I guess that's why Sonic Forces was so well received by the gaming community at large.

• Chuckle 2

2 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Okay, let me clarify something. I don't' need "stakes" just "stuff" to happen.

Let's take my favorite issue ever, Sonic Universe #1. Only Sega characters, only game stuff

- Shadow gets to show as emphatic being, relating to Metal Sonic. Great.
= Right back him, Metal show his own interesting point of view.
- Fight is quick, energetic. Has fun ideas, like Metal using Marine as shield.
- Marine is hilarious through whole story.
- Shadow's angry face is priceless.
- Blaze, while gets less time to shine is tough, capable, but shows softer side when asking Shadow to be patient with Marine.

All in 1 issue. Stakes were fairly low, technically it was a filler but bunch of stuff happen, emotion were felt, things were fun. And guess what? IDW did much heavier stories and nicer drawn. But that issue had one things: density

Now what this issue has? What was most exciting moment, most heartwarming, the funniest? I thought whole point of stretching stories into 4 issue arcs is too give to develop ideas, give room for everything. But most of this issue is spend on fighting 4 nostalgia baiting bosses from old times. And fight drawn by competent artists, it looks way nicer than SU#1, but fight choreography isn't great and ultimately nothing is acomplished.
IDW #13 was a 90% filler, but fight was so fun, with so much personality to it that I'm willing to overlook it.

Sonic Universe #1 was also written to be one self contained story. Maybe they should give more 1-2 issue long story arcs a try again so that you're left more satisfied once a release finally comes around? Idk.

Last arc I thought they were kind of spinning their wheels until they ended up paying more things off than I thought they would by the end, so I guess I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Talking specifically about SU #1 I remember going into that with no other knowledge of Archie, I liked it but the while arc was kind of a mash up of episodic stories, it was simple fun but that's where it ends. Like this very arc. Tbh we did want them to do graphic novel format, 4 parters and it's fine, meh, I really don't care for this arc either, it seems really slow and not much is there. The weird expressions? Check. Fun action and teamwork? Check. New badnik ideas? Check. Humor and interactions? Check, it's all there but it is not that interesting, that's where it ends, exactly like the Shadow saga in Universe.

I don't mind either, but I don't really care. I wish Belle's story moved faster.

That is not to say this won't factor into the 50th issue plot, I bet it will in fact tie into that. So more story set up, again, like Archie, where development was mostly OC.

I also don't get what is wrong with wanting game accurate stories, Universe #1 was also like that, it works, I want game centric comic books because this way Modern Sonic doesn't suck, in a way it fixes the bad writing of the games, or tries to.