Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

On 14.11.2017 at 1:40 PM, NikoS said:

Cream had a little problem with Rotor's espresso machine in the first part of the Spark of Life arc:

Reveal hidden contents

SU_71_P3.jpg

c'mom it's not that  complicated

Oh yes, Rotor's Rspresso Express; express yourself with a machine expressing espresso all over the place. ^_^

It's nice one doesn't need to drink coffee...

On 14.11.2017 at 5:48 PM, DaddlerTheDalek said:

I don't know if it's true. It's just hilarious that SatAM Hardliner had the exact opposite problems with Ian Flynn compared to Game Purists.

And here I remembered one comment about Archie Sonic cancellation coming from a person I feel is a somewhat pro SatAM person (in another forum, I happened to see the said comment while I searched info for something interesting few days ago).

They were somewhat content to see Archie stuff go since the "SatAM cast" was OOC in comics. Actually, that person was giving me an impression with the post those liking these intepretations were partly to blame for comic versions to differ too much from the SatAM.

And here I'm scratching my head again. Am I crazy when I think they were pretty much different characters right from the start? Yeah, they're based on the same concepts but down the line stuff happened and they went different ways. If one looks the Archie FF through SatAM lenses of course they feel OOC, but, I dunno, I always have this funny idea about Archie Sonic is its own canon, SatAM is it's own and so on and so on.

Really, what's there to destroy if it wasn't part of the darn thing to begin with? Of course comics were loaning stuff from the animation (like at least 1 story if I recall correctly) but weren't they loaning some stuff from AoStH too? I'd hate to see someone complaining over Scratch and/or Grounder being OOC when they were in comics for first time. They made faces so different they were almost seriously-taken characters in my eyes for example...

Seriously talking, my small head just doesn't take it. Comics are comics, they aren't meant to be the games/animations. If they were, they would be made in said format(s).

11 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Tails being a tech wizard doesn't mean there's no need for another, there are shows like Phenias and Ferb, Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra, even Megaman, and several other works where there have been more than one or two geniuses working together on something--make Tails more capable in Aerospace engineering while Rotor dabbles more in weaponry, and there's how these two can distinguish their science creds from each other (and that's without getting into their completely different backgrounds as characters).

Somehow this made me to remember this one "funny" out-of-context thing, skip ahead if you aren't interested.

In One Piece Unlimited Cruise there're these tool development "list things" in Usopp's workshops, where you pick what you want to turn your resources into. There're these small animations for these things, sometimes it's Usopp all alone, sometimes he's doing stuff with Franky.

One of these animations include them doing stuff together and Franky unintentionally pretty much beats Usopp up in the process, he's too oblivious to realise his workshopping's causing physical harm to Usopp performing his part few (centi)meters away. At the end Usopp's worn out and Franky's posing, things done but so is Usopp.

The thing is, I unintentionally started to wonder how this kind of "joke" would look like with, let's say, Tails and Rotor...

I tried to found a video for the animation but I couldn't, it's kind of interesting how it's even possible to happen, but still...

Ahem, away from the anecdote, back to the topic.

@Dr. Detective Mike, I'm truly sorry about the fact the FF felt to you like that, and I suppose I get it (even when I'm such a demanding idiot about some things). I suppose though that if the FF manages to get into the comics they would most likely appear once in a blue moon (something I'd be fine with myself). Somehow I doubt they'd stick around for many issues ever again.

---

But then again, something I've found hard to get is the fact people want to see their characters 24/7 without any care what'd be the best cast for the story to flow? I suppose it's the fact I've grown used to not to see my favourite main character(s) for ~year in irl -time when it comes to some comics *kröh One Piece kröh*. So I don't really get that "12 issues are for 1 year at best irl" time thing. I dunno, maybe I'm just that crazed of a person but well, I dunno anymore. I can wait for the good stuff patiently if I know it's coming, maybe I'm an exeption...

---

59 minutes ago, Korke said:

In the main book, post-reboot...

Hmm, this sounds interesting.

57 minutes ago, Korke said:

How many times did Tails talk to anybody who's name is not Sonic?

Well, at the "gather the FF" part pretty much in ~every issue.

Actually, first example I came up with was the whole deal with Honey at the "Champions" arc. I suppose I could go on if I'd have willpower enough to get the comics from their hiding place out here.

1 hour ago, Korke said:

Did Rotor ever talked to anybody at all? He had a great opportunity for a family in the villian side, but he wrote his father in a "easy-to-hate" mode, making him so uninteresting... Wasted opportunity.

Did he ever talk, well, umm yes? A lot? To many at once, those were many times, like in StH #272 when they wondered what to do with Knux's situation for example? Again the "gathering FF" part? The Meropis thing?

Just with one person? The talk with Cream when she'd get to go in missions, when she brought the Expressing Espresso situation at the table?

The thing was such a flooding river they hadn't time to go deep down with anything, hence the father thing remained pretty much untouched I suppose.

1 hour ago, Korke said:

Did Nicole ever said a single word to anybody who's name is not Sally?

Again, "let's find the FF" part, the very first thing they had after reboot. The second-last StH arc.

Again, all these characters fall in the same category; I could give more examples if I were to gather the issues in front of me.

___

There lies a problem with the new comics though, one I haven't really managed to talk myself out yet in any capacity.

Archie Sonic was cut kind of "abruptly" if I may. What's to assume it won't happen again with IDW? It happened already with Archie, who's to say it couldn't happen again? Another reason I feel uneasy to consider ordering anything licensed anymore, at least when it comes to stuff like Sonic...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

10 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Archie Sonic was cut kind of "abruptly" if I may. What's to assume it won't happen again with IDW? It happened already with Archie, who's to say it couldn't happen again? Another reason I feel uneasy to consider ordering anything licensed anymore, at least when it comes to stuff like Sonic...

It could, and probably will at some point. I'd say IDW seems competent enough to keep the ship sailing smoothly, but eh, SEGA. So.. just gotta enjoy it while it lasts, which will hopefully be for a long while. Probably not as long as Archie tbh, but for a long while.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

It seems likely that the reason Archie Sonic was so abruptly terminated was due to historical issues with Archie as a company specifically.  If at some point Sega decides to wrap things up with IDW, then unless it's a case of IDW making some calamitous decision of its own, I imagine their comic would at least get a decent send-off.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Oh yes, Rotor's Rspresso Express; express yourself with a machine expressing espresso all over the place. ^_^

It's nice one doesn't need to drink coffee...

And here I remembered one comment about Archie Sonic cancellation coming from a person I feel is a somewhat pro SatAM person (in another forum, I happened to see the said comment while I searched info for something interesting few days ago).

They were somewhat content to see Archie stuff go since the "SatAM cast" was OOC in comics. Actually, that person was giving me an impression with the post those liking these intepretations were partly to blame for comic versions to differ too much from the SatAM.

And here I'm scratching my head again. Am I crazy when I think they were pretty much different characters right from the start? Yeah, they're based on the same concepts but down the line stuff happened and they went different ways. If one looks the Archie FF through SatAM lenses of course they feel OOC, but, I dunno, I always have this funny idea about Archie Sonic is its own canon, SatAM is it's own and so on and so on.

This seriously reads like "It's not Exactly like the Cartoon so it was bad". Also yikes I went around and found a whole topic whining about Sallicole. Remind me to stay far FAR away from SaturdayMorningSonic.

• Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

This seriously reads like "It's not Exactly like the Cartoon so it was bad". Also yikes I went around and found a whole topic whining about Sallicole. Remind me to stay far FAR away from SaturdayMorningSonic.

It does, and it's a bit interesting. I can enjoy different versions just fine and have no problems to recognise them as different universes. Maybe some of us just are that different from the others... -_-

I'll remind myself too. Gee, I just wanted to find out if Kappei Yamaguchi really had anything to do with voicing SatAM/AoStH Sonic as I read from Sonic News Network, so I just Google-surfed around when YouTube didn't help me at all... gee. It was already a huge bomb to read about some game voice roles after all... Those I actually managet to find from YouTube. ^_^

6 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Off the top of my head, I recall [...]

I'm sure I could find more if I were to delve more into, but all this is off the top of my head.

I did a little research on the issues you wrote, well, at least I have nothing to right now since today is holiday, yay. After some re-readings tho, my point still stands.

7 hours ago, Korke said:

If you re-think about it, the list goes on and will get kinda long. And, of course, "talk" is not generic soldier Sonic-Forces-ish dialogue. If you want me to care about those characters for more reasons than SatAM nostalgia and mere design, show me their personal motivations. Sally, the ever hateful sue was the only one who I can remember that had some exposition in this area.

I was thinking about cutting some pieces of the issues and pasting here, but I don't know about the forum rules.... siiiince they are took from the internet. And honestly I don't see this leading us anywhere, so I'll just conclude my thought: That's how I feel when it comes to the FF's. Don't get me wrong, I like their presence, but I confess it's solely based on nostalgia factors from my own past. Flynn did not make a good job on making those characters interesting, as I see them like shells without... a soul. I guess that's the words. And the result is clear when many people from here and other forums says the book will be better as a whole with their complete removal.

I've popped in here in search of a picture.  Its been...several years. Way back when talk about Sally's redesign was a hot topic. Someone, an artist, drew a really cute picture of Sally as a red squirrel with a long tail and I think a black stripe going down the middle. I've looked all over for that image but I haven't found it. Does this description spark anyone's memories? I really want to find that picture.

11 hours ago, Dejablue said:

I've popped in here in search of a picture.  Its been...several years. Way back when talk about Sally's redesign was a hot topic. Someone, an artist, drew a really cute picture of Sally as a red squirrel with a long tail and I think a black stripe going down the middle. I've looked all over for that image but I haven't found it. Does this description spark anyone's memories? I really want to find that picture.

That vaguely sounds like Ben Bates'(who work on the comic prior to the reboot) redesign  concepts.

latest?cb=20140708025307

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Lol, thanks but that isn't it. It was drawn by a member of this forum. I searched nearly 300 pages for it but I guess its gone. It was Sally colored more red instead of brown with a squirrel tail that had a black stripe going down the center of it. It was cute but for the life of me the picture is lost to time.

57 minutes ago, Nerfuffle said:

Hey Deja, I do remember being a noob and posting the one one the upper left.
I had changed my user name to match my other accounts since then. =p

Hide contents

Dress scraps 1

Huh. Trying to decide if that could work or not.

Personally, I prefer her staying a Chipmunk. The color palette there is also kinda weird.

17 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Huh. Trying to decide if that could work or not.

Personally, I prefer her staying a Chipmunk. The color palette there is also kinda weird.

Wasn't she a hybrid?

Just now, RedFox99 said:

Wasn't she a hybrid?

By implication, yes: King Acorn(and Elias©) was a Squirrel(or a Fox--the design mentality was really odd there) while Queen Alicia© logically had to be a Chipmunk to have Sally make sense.

• Thumbs Up 5

Aaaaah she's so cuuuuteeeeee! I want Sally to look like this 5 everrrrrr!!!  I love Sally with black hair and I love that tail. Thanks Nerfluffle!

On 11/15/2017 at 8:58 PM, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

How about Rotor's facination with technology and progress? Of which his father's dislike of such led to him moving away to Mobotropolis where his ideas would be much more valued?

How about Bunnie's motivation to overcome the changes in getting cybernetics and find her own value, braving through her insecurities to become who she is despite not having a choice in the matter to be what she is now? Even better that said bravery would inspire her now-current husband Antoine to actually become braver as well instead of feigning it, as well as overcoming some misfortunes himself but ultimately continuing on and resulting in him being the dependable (if overly cautious at times) partner for everyone else that he is now?

And this was a summary off the top of my head, because I'm sure there are nuances that I'm completely unaware of post-reboot. These are in the characters backgrounds that have them as the characters they are now, and we've witnessed them go through this over the course of years. So I'm not sure how these are overlooked by those who are quick to jump against these characters while being more than eager to find such motivations in the game cast under the same conditions.

Which begs the question of how are the game cast any better in this regard than the non-game cast? The same writer is at the helm, so barring the fact that the game characters are...well, in the games, how are the game cast interesting while the others of not?

Because this doesn't sound like it has to do with them not being interesting characters to detractors. That result of other fans saying the book would be better with their complete removal is more often than not mostly due to prejudice than the claim of them not being interesting character with a soul (and I say "most" because some aren't as hardcore about it, and it's just simple preference), often boiling down to the simple logic of "I don't care much for any character that isn't in the games."

And I most definitely don't buy this justification when, under the same conditions, the game characters would also have this problem, yet they get a pass on this critique.

As odd as this may sound. I'm actually leaning more towards retiring the freedom fighters. Not because I don't like them, but because people have complained for years that they take screen time away from characters they actually want to see. Yeah, that's the game characters and I think they have a point. Sonic has a chance to start over and it only makes sense they focus on characters who are in the games, you know, the things Sega are trying to sell. Sonic has a healthy cast of characters already, without the freedom fighters. Give the game characters more attention. Surely they can fill story critical roles just as easily as the FF could.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Dejablue said:

Aaaaah she's so cuuuuteeeeee! I want Sally to look like this 5 everrrrrr!!!  I love Sally with black hair and I love that tail. Thanks Nerfluffle!

As odd as this may sound. I'm actually leaning more towards retiring the freedom fighters. Not because I don't like them, but because people have complained for years that they take screen time away from characters they actually want to see. Yeah, that's the game characters and I think they have a point. Sonic has a chance to start over and it only makes sense they focus on characters who are in the games, you know, the things Sega are trying to sell. Sonic has a healthy cast of characters already, without the freedom fighters. Give the game characters more attention. Surely they can fill story critical roles just as easily as the FF could.

Which falls in the face in that them getting more attention and critical roles doesn't require retiring other characters, it just needs the writers to simply find places for the other characters.

This logic of removing other characters to make room for others really doesn't make sense when that has more to do with the writer and the story they're trying to tell than the characters they put in it. It's basically the opposite of what people were criticizing the games for when they had plenty of room for other characters but dod nothing with them until Forces; does anyone ever thing about reorganizing the characters before removing them because they want to have others involved, or is that just an inconceivable afterthought?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

8 hours ago, Nerfuffle said:

Hey Deja, I do remember being a noob and posting the one one the upper left.
I had changed my user name to match my other accounts since then. =p

Reveal hidden contents

Dress scraps 1

Aw, they're so cute and snazzy!  Seriously if the comic gods have any benevolence left in them then I sure hope you wind up on the IDW team.  Your style gels so seamlessly with the material.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Which falls in the face in that them getting more attention and critical roles doesn't require retiring other characters, it just needs the writers to simply find places for the other characters.

This logic of removing other characters to make room for others really doesn't make sense when that has more to do with the writer and the story they're trying to tell than the characters they put in it. It's basically the opposite of what people were criticizing the games for when they had plenty of room for other characters but dod nothing with them until Forces; does anyone ever thing about reorganizing the characters before removing them because they want to have others involved, or is that just an inconceivable afterthought?

Three words "Trim the fat"  oh. and "Less is more".  There are already enough characters to write a story with even without the freedom fighters. There's nothing you can say that proves me wrong.  And Sega probably wants a more concise and cohesive universe. This comic only exists to promote the games/ whatever product Sega has interest in. At best the  FF can be reorganized or used as extras as most stories have secondary and tertiary characters. But I don't see them being main characters like they used to. They aren't as important. It doesn't hurt anything by them simply not being around anymore.  I'd be more upset if I never saw Vector than if I never saw Antoine. 

33 minutes ago, Dejablue said:

Three words "Trim the fat"  oh. and "Less is more". 

I have three words of my own: Reorganize and distribute. There's also "Plan and execute" and "write good stories" regardless of how many characters there are, all of which can work just as well without removing anything because "trimming the fat" and "less is more" do not equate to the good storytelling--Generation and Lost Worlds proved that much when they did just that and are among the most mixed stories in the games as far as reception goes. 

There are already enough characters to write a story with even without the freedom fighters. There's nothing you can say that proves me wrong.  And Sega probably wants a more concise and cohesive universe. At best the  FF can be reorganized or used as extras as most stories have secondary and tertiary characters.

Regardless of if Sega wants a more consice and cohesive universe--which is laughably hypocritical when they've failed to apply such a standard to their own main universe--there being enough characters doesn't justify removing established ones.

I'd support that mainly on the basis creating entirely new ones and not making use of the ones already around, but this isn't really a case as far as this debacle goes.

But I don't see them being main characters like they used to.  The freedom fighters aren't hurting anything by simply not being around anymore.  I'd be more upset if I never saw Vector than if I never saw Antoine. 

Yes because fans of Antoine or any of the Freedom Fighters totally wouldn't be upset that they can never see their favorite characters again compared to those that would be upset for not seeing Vector, even tho they have other mediums were the latter is still currently present in the event that somehow became a thing.

I'm sorry, but that's a textbook case of being selfish and inconsiderate, if not downright hypocritical to imply that you'd be hurt for not seeing Vector as if that wouldn't be the case for those who want to see Antoine, because who in the world wouldn't be upset and be hurt that they can't see their preferred favorite character anymore regardless of who they are?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

8 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I have three words of my own: Reorganize and distribute. There's also "Plan and execute" and "write good stories" regardless of how many characters there are, all of which can work just as well without removing anything because "trimming the fat" and "less is more" do not equate to the good storytelling--Generation and Lost Worlds proved that much when they did just that and are among the most mixed stories in the games as far as reception goes. 

Regardless of if Sega wants a more consice and cohesive universe--which is laughably hypocritical when they've failed to apply such a standard to their own main universe--there being enough characters doesn't justify removing established ones.

I'd support that mainly on the basis creating entirely new ones and not making use of the ones already around, but this isn't really a case as far as this debacle goes.

Yes because fans of Antoine or any of the Freedom Fighters totally wouldn't be upset that they can never see their favorite characters again compared to those that would be upset for not seeing Vector.

I'm sorry, but that's a textbook case of being selfish and inconsiderate.

I don't think being selfish or inconsiderate is really an issue when it comes to the comic book business.  If I'm Sega and I got games to sell then I want the comic to reflect those games. Not an alternate universe where Sonic's cast is filled out with characters who will never appear in the games.

Sooo. The FF can be used, but everything that made them who they were has been erased. We can't retrace Archie's footsteps. Antoine will look like Antoine but he won't be the same character. In appearance only but not in a way that counts. So I'd rather get new characters instead. We have a clean slate. Use the clean slate.

24 minutes ago, Dejablue said:

I don't think being selfish or inconsiderate is really an issue when it comes to the comic book business.  If I'm Sega and I got games to sell then I want the comic to reflect those games. Not an alternate universe where Sonic's cast is filled out with characters who will never appear in the games.

Which is completely beside the whole point of this discussion because what the comic book business decides has nothing to do with whether you would be upset with not seeing Vector over Antoine as opposed to your claim that "the freedom fighters aren't hurting anyone for not being around anymore." What they decide is what they decide, but that doesn't invalidate my point that it would hurt fans of any character if they can no longer have them around and that it's selfish and inconsiderate to brush that off and claim otherwise.

Nevermind that Sega more than likely doesn't make business decisions like that, even more when they greenlit an alternate universe called Boom that did just that. So lets not change the subject here.

Sooo. The FF can be used, but everything that made them who they were has been erased. We can't retrace Archie's footsteps. Antoine will look like Antoine but he won't be the same character.

Sounds like the Second Genesis Wave which rebooted everything and gave him a backstory. Except he still kept his same basic personality traits in addition to new ones. So I don't think Antoine fans would mind that.

In appearance only but not in a way that counts. So I'd rather get new characters instead. We have a clean slate. Use the clean slate.

Which is incredibly contradicting after the claim that Sega would rather have a comic to reflect games as opposed to an alternate universe with characters that would never appear in said games.

So which is it really? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

14 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Which is completely beside the whole point of this discussion because what the comic book business decides has nothing to do with whether you would be upset with not seeing Vector over Antoine as opposed to your claim that "the freedom fighters aren't hurting anyone for not being around anymore." What they decide is what they decide, but that doesn't invalidate my point that it would hurt fans of any character if they can no longer have them around.

Nevermind that Sega more than likely doesn't make business decisions like that, even more when they greenlit an alternate universe called Boom that did just that. So lets not change the subject here.

Sounds like the Second Genesis Wave which rebooted everything and gave him a backstory. Except he still kept his same basic personality traits in addition to new ones. So I don't think Antoine fans would mind that.

Which is incredibly contradicting after the claim that Sega would rather have a comic to reflect games as opposed to an alternate universe with characters that would never appear in said games.

So which is it really? 

Boom used Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles. All of them are game staples. Guess who isn't? The Freedom Fighters.

Pre Genisis Wave just broke up the previous canon, shook it up and pieced it back together as best it could. Still grounded in Archie lore. This totally new comic can't use any of it.  Is it really a thing in comic books where a popular and beloved character's backstory is constantly being rewritten from scratch? Or is it just re-imagined and reshuffled a bit. That would get annoying.

So which is it really? 

I don't understand what you're saying here.  How is what I said incredibly contradictory? Both of those statements make sense to  me. Sega would want a comic that reflects its product. I personally, wouldn't want a recycled Antoine.

So here are the options I guess. Use the FF's but they probably won't be known by that anymore. And they have a much more subdued role.

Or create expys of the FFs that are for the most part new characters but remind the reader of someone from the past.

24 minutes ago, Dejablue said:

Boom used Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles. All of them are game staples. Guess who isn't? The Freedom Fighters.

And Archie used those same characters and the Freedom Fighters. Doesn't change the fact that removing them will upset fans who like them.

The fact that game staples aren't going to suffer this fate makes it all the more trivial when fans of those characters have less to lose as opposed to the non game cast who frankly have nowhere else to be present in if their fans want to continue seeing them.

Pre Genisis Wave just broke up the previous canon, shook it up and pieced it back together as best it could. Still grounded in Archie lore. This totally new comic can't use any of it.  

Actually they can, they just opted to tell their own stories instead. Every in Archie post-Second Genesis Wave belongs entirely to Sega for them to decide. And nothing beyond their decision bars that.

Is it really a thing in comic books where a popular and beloved character's backstory is constantly being rewritten from scratch? Or is it just re-imagined and reshuffled a bit. That would get annoying.

Only if they don't have much options or if they want or need to reorganize things. It's not exclusive to comics either.

I don't understand what you're saying here.  How is what I said incredibly contradictory? Both of those statements make sense to  me. Sega would want a comic that reflects its product. I personally, wouldn't want a recycled Antoine.

You said and I quote:

37 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

f I'm Sega and I got games to sell then I want the comic to reflect those games. Not an alternate universe where Sonic's cast is filled out with characters who will never appear in the games.

Only to then later say:

55 minutes ago, Dejablue said:

So I'd rather get new characters instead. We have a clean slate. Use the clean slate.

In a rebuttal against bring back old characters like the Freedom Fighters. But creating new characters for this instead is essentially doing the exact same thing when these new characters wouldn't appear in the game either. That's the contradiction you've made here.

So here are the options I guess. Use the FF's but they probably won't be known by that anymore. And they have a much more subdued role.

Or create expys of the FFs that are for the most part new characters but remind the reader of someone from the past.

Yeah those are some pretty narrow options on something that might end up not doing either as far as anyone knows, but I consider the expies a spit in the face when hey could just use the oringals instead.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

At this point I've made my peace with the FF not returning. I'd rather see them scrapped than relegated to background roles and appear in 1-2 issues per year, especially since we aren't getting a Universe-esque spinoff anytime soon. Either bring them back or don't. 

Make new characters that don't have the baggage tied to them. Like I said before, its a clean slate. Sega has nothing to loose by not using the FF. They can be background characters but that's about as far as I'd take them.