Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I am more bothered by the uncreative plot that seems to not give the D6 anything particularly interesting in regards to motivations or actions than I am about them being used again.

Rather than parrot others over not being a fan, I’m gonna give credit where it’s due: the Deadly Six live up to their names in the comics.

The Metal Virus being one of most intense stories to come out of Sonic, the franchise wasn’t dealing with the same loons that Sonic could handle in the past. In fact, in a lot of ways, the Metal Virus was actually Lost Worlds done with more teeth, and even the goofball Zomom had to be approached with greater caution.

The more of this I see of them, the more I can warm up to them.

• Thumbs Up 3

So, is Belle's origins actually gonna be addressed in this story or what? Cause aside form Cubot asking if she's one of theirs(?), it didn't exactly feel like it.

21 hours ago, Slashy said:

I am more bothered by the uncreative plot that seems to not give the D6 anything particularly interesting in regards to motivations or actions than I am about them being used again.

Oh, so it's the premise. Gotcha.

I think this is just a case of the solicit generally having to go "The Zeti are here and they're bringing some chaos" whereas Zavok's actual plan of action going forward will be revealed and developed within the actual comic for a future issue to bring to fruition.

29 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

So, is Belle's origins actually gonna be addressed in this story or what? Cause aside form Cubot asking if she's one of theirs(?), it didn't exactly feel like it.

Oh, so it's the premise. Gotcha.

I think this is just a case of the solicit generally having to go "The Zeti are here and they're bringing some chaos" whereas Zavok's actual plan of action going forward will be revealed and developed within the actual comic for a future issue to bring to fruition.

It looks like Starline is hijacking the plot again. I don't buy it that the Zeti have a far deeper motivation or plan than the solicits suggest.

Solicits haven't been very unreliable so I am not keeping my expectations high.

43 minutes ago, Slashy said:

It looks like Starline is hijacking the plot again. I don't buy it that the Zeti have a far deeper motivation or plan than the solicits suggest.

Solicits haven't been very unreliable so I am not keeping my expectations high.

Yeah, I really understand why he is here. Especially when you considering that the Zeti's powers actually go beyond electronics to manipulating bits of the environment as well. What could Belle have to do with his plans, given that he wants to engineer two genetic experiment assistants?

Anywho, attacking the village is not the plan--its just a coincidental place for them to meet up.

FCBD preview!

Looking to be a very cute little story. Also, IDW is teasing a big Sonic announcement for June:

Guessing it might be a new mini or storyline, but anything possible.

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh my God it looks so adorable! 

Also I know it won't be but as I've said before maybe June could be the announcement of an Archie revival. Yes I know Archie Sonic is dead but I still don't think it's impossible. 

Mind says it's a Classic series/mini-series. 

Heart wants them to make some major moves to liven up the main series. 

The preview looks too cute and fullof fanservice, I love it already.

The announcement... it's either a Universe esque thing or a Prime tie in series. Both are possible. People are speculating and expecting Sally, as usual I would not mind her, Sticks, etc. The legacy characters, I'm sick and tired of killing people hope that Sega eill acknowledge them, I've been hoping for a lot of time, after Katie said multiple times there are no plans for Sally, I won't go that far to expect her, even though if there is a place for her, it's right in the comics. I just don't think it is happening for now with what has been stated. In the future though, never say never.

Gosh I just love announcement of announcements. Lack of details allows me to  build up my expectations so high that that they can't be met.

I genuinely can't remember if Flynn was making winks for this or for something else.

But yeah, comic does look nice.

That has to be Spaz doing the art of the 30th anniversary cover, it looks exactly like Spaz's Classic style Archives covers:

255?cb=20100206095923

Spoiler

latest?cb=20080418100652

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a thought.

Given that next month is pride month and that IDW is pretty LGBTQ+ friendly, it could be the announcement that an LGBTQ+ character could be revealed. I dunno the odds of that happening, but it's a possibility.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I had a thought.

Given that next month is pride month and that IDW is pretty LGBTQ+ friendly, it could be the announcement that an LGBTQ+ character could be revealed. I dunno the odds of that happening, but it's a possibility.

Evan Stanley has said she wants to introduce the first confirmed in canon LGBTQ character so if Sega is cool with it I can see it happening. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Plus, Evan Stanley made Modern Honey & Nack

E2MlQcvVUAEUIlB?format=jpg&name=4096x409E2MlfdAVgAAgoWm?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Hey Sega, can you scratch that BS “Classic only” status and give us these characters in IDW, please? Bean and Bark too?

Also, they seem to have made Honey more Lion-like from the tail. Or maybe that’s just me?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Hmm, Nack is missing a finger. Very consistent with his original design. Nice attn to detail there.

6 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Got some cover variants!

E2UfbkKWEAMZpaf?format=jpg&name=largeE2UgHrBXMAU2l2G?format=jpg&name=large

Plus, Evan Stanley made Modern Honey & Nack

E2MlQcvVUAEUIlB?format=jpg&name=4096x409E2MlfdAVgAAgoWm?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I absolutely love the modern honey design

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

E2WOJV2XwAcxL1H?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Tracy Yardley on Twitter: From seeing Sonic run through Green Hill at EB Games in '91, to buying the original Archie miniseries in my local drugstore, all the way to drawing more than 2000 pages of comics about him, the Blue Blur has been a big part of my life for 30 years. Here's to many more! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

Those are commissions, she didn't create the Nack design. Fang Bark and Bean are not getting incorporated in the main IDW book.

53 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Those are commissions, she didn't create the Nack design. Fang Bark and Bean are not getting incorporated in the main IDW book.

I don't know, I like the concept of an artist being commissioned to just create a new design for a character --- with no reference.

A modern design for a Sonic the Hedgehog character.

Sure, just saying,

1. That's not "IDW Nack the Weasel", much like how that drawing of a modern Sally that ABT did was just fanart, not "IDW Sally" as touted about

2. Evan didn't even create that design

• Thumbs Up 2

Man I do like those Nack & Honey designs. It's too bad that they are off-limits.