Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

4 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Sonic comics are unpredictable and almost always last longer than they were ever meant to. Remember when Archie was a miniseries? Or when it was supposed to end with the Endgame arc?

Didn't Fleetway get cut early?

I'm not sure that IDWSonic and MLP:FiM is 100% comparable, as FiM is kinda over (replaced with a spin-off or something like that ?). So I feel that even if no the comics won't be "eternal" (nothing really is, and it will certainly have changes, maybe change of ownership, or stuff like that), I'm not sure about how much they can be compared, especially knowing what could make them end (except "no one buying them and tries to have more sales have failed").

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Didn't Fleetway get cut early?

Probably. Archie did as well, but I doubt anyone expected either to go as long as they did.

2 hours ago, Slashy said:

IDW MLP is ending so no I don't think we will get a crossover. This also gives an idea of how long IDW Sonic could last.

It really doesn't, come on, think a bit man. IDW MLP is being closed because it's associated with a brand of the franchise that's now over- it's more comparable to Archie's Sonic X being replaced with Universe. Sonic the Comic got cut early because of really bad editorial decisions leading to bad sales (I promise you even the best selling DC comic around out there wouldn't be able to sustain itself with three years of reprints and no new content), same way how Archie Sonic ended because of editorial bad decisions.

• Thumbs Up 4

Early is subjective. The way I see it comics aren't often made with the goal of an end in mind, and are expected to keep going until contracts end, money dries up, or something pulls the plug, and yeah after the SA1 story Fleetway went inclusively into reprints just recycling it's old material. 

2 hours ago, The KKM said:

It really doesn't, come on, think a bit man. IDW MLP is being closed because it's associated with a brand of the franchise that's now over- it's more comparable to Archie's Sonic X being replaced with Universe. Sonic the Comic got cut early because of really bad editorial decisions leading to bad sales (I promise you even the best selling DC comic around out there wouldn't be able to sustain itself with three years of reprints and no new content), same way how Archie Sonic ended because of editorial bad decisions.

Wasn't Sonic X already over when the comics started though?

The Wiki says it was potentially canned for licensing issues.

4 hours ago, Slashy said:

Wasn't Sonic X already over when the comics started though?

The Wiki says it was potentially canned for licensing issues.

The first Sonic X comic came out in fall 2005, about the same time the Metarex Arc began airing on American television, so it was a relevant tie in when it began. The comic was incredibly successful for Archie though, which is why it continued for several more years even after the television series ended premieres. The decision was made to replace Sonic X with Sonic Universe because the creative team wanted to quit while they were still popular (all the old articles and conversations are probably offline now, but they compared it to "taking a page from Seinfeld" or something to that effect), and were more interested in the potential of a spin-off series set in the main continuity and Archie didn't want three Sonic titles running congruently at the time. When it was announced, the possibility of having new Sonic X stories in Sonic Universe was raised, but nothing ever came of it sadly even though Ian had a third El Gran Gordo story planned (the closest we ever got to something like this being the cancelled Underground story for SU #50).

• Thumbs Up 4

On 6/21/2021 at 10:35 AM, Slashy said:

IDW MLP is ending so no I don't think we will get a crossover. This also gives an idea of how long IDW Sonic could last.

...Fucking what bro?

MLP is ending because G4 is over and G5 is about to start. This has absolutely nothing to do with anything. 

If anything if the ongoing ended they could do miniseries or a second volume like Ghostbusters or something and like TMNT is on like issue 118 or so. 

Oh hey, look who got their copy of the Collection. 

Maybe its a perspective thing, but I thought it'd be a bit bigger. 

1 minute ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Oh man! They got theirs already?  I really need to order mine soon!

Well, this isn't something I thought I'd be doing today. I headed down to my local comic store today and managed to buy a copy of the 30th Anniversary one-shot a day early!

20210622_205347.thumb.jpg.04c4705425cdd102401df6c29dff6526.jpg

So I figured I'd give my thoughts on it while they're fresh: (SPOILER WARNING)

Spoiler

- The first (and biggest) story, "Seasons Of Chaos" was a genuinely fun adventure. Getting to see so many returning faces - especially Metal Knuckles and the Hooligans - put a huge smile on my face! Sure, Bean's not exactly like his Archie self, but his incredibly loony personality made up for it.

Heck, all the characters were just a joy to watch! I think the artwork really helped too; it's incredibly vivid and expressionate, both here and in the other two stories. Speaking of...

- The second story about Sonic learning to drive was pretty humorous. Something about Sonic being so against the idea of slowing down in the vehicle just had me chuckling through most of the story, especially when he reveals the whole reason he's learning to drive in the first place.

That said, it's not as great as the first story imo. The secondary character, Kip is just kind of your standard "driving instructor" character without much else going for him, and the ending feels a little rushed and anticlimactic. Still, it's a funny one.

- The third and final story, "Eggman's Birthday" was a nice little read, even though nothing much happens in it. It was kinda fun seeing Eggman just dreading the fact that it's his birthday, all because his badniks always try to throw parties for him.

However, there's really not much else to the story, which left me feeling a little disappointed. I wouldn't call it a bad story, though, just kind of... there. At least the art's great.

Overall, I think this is a pretty fun comic, though after the first story it started to falter a bit. Still, while it's not what I'd label as a "must-have", it is something I can see myself coming back to read every now and then. Not bad for my first IDW Sonic comic.

Edited by NegaMix
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 6/21/2021 at 10:35 AM, Slashy said:

That is like comparing a steak from walmart to a steak from a 5 star restaurant. Sonic is still ongoing. MLP as some have said is pretty much over. There is only so much over both in seasons and shows. At best the series where they are human could possibly get a spinoff but whens the last time you have seen mlp on tv. IDW series last as long as they need to last and more so. Like transformers.

8 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Nah that's the size of the TMNT hardcovers. They're slightly larger than a trade paperback but only slightly. 

The 30th anniversary special was amazing.

The main story was fun enough, but then we get "Dr. Eggman's Birthday," and just...

Spoiler

SPOILER_unknown.png

SPOILER_unknown.png

My heart

This comic is adorable, and shows how much Eggman and his Badniks genuinely care about each other; the Badniks about making sure Eggman's happy on his birthday, and Eggman when he worries about their safety when they irresponsibly go off to try fighting Sonic all on their own.

Seeing him on good terms with the Hard Boiled Heavies after Mania is nice as well.

This is the kind of Sonic content I love to see.

• Promotion 2

30th Anniversary Special... Let me review in backward order

Dr. Eggman's Birthday: There is nothing wrong with it, but I didn't like it that much

Spoiler

And I'm not saying it because Metal only gets small cameo....bastards

Art is best part, it's cute, Eggman has funny faces, background gags and  really makes badniks adorable. My favorite touch is Spikes badnik wearing party hats on his spikes.

My gripes are with the writing. Mostly because
- Well, it's one of those plots you seen million times before. Which isn't automatical failure, but this script doesn't feels fresh enough.
- My suspension of disbelief doesn't hold. I can buy that Badniks love Eggman (they are programmed to it), but would Eggman care for Moto Bugs? Sure they are his "kids" but he sends them to die. Like all the time. At least with Bowser you can pretend those Goombas go to hospital, but we know all badniks break so little critters can get free.
And I could buy Orbot, Cubut, Egg Pawns, E-100 series, Metal Sonic (whoops, slipped) to care for Eggman. But Hard Boiled Heavies?  They guys with only one game, in which they betray Eggman? It's a little thing, but it's a little story, It kinda bugged me.

Sonic Learns to Drive: Good enough. Simple, but fun

Spoiler

Again, nothing mind blowing. "Sonic in a car" old joke, haha. But I feel like there was enough though put into it, to make things feel fresh enough.

I actually like how friendly Sonic is. He's dealing with "boring bureaucrat" sorta guy, you don't expect Sonic to get along with him. But it feels like he's genuinely trying to make friends with him, which makes ending work.

But mostly it's bunch of little gags. And they work. Chiii Daaaaawgs

(Also, Nite the Owl is here. Huh. I wonder if this story is canon with IDW-verse. It's not impossible)

Seasons of Chaos: You know, I could really easily hate it. Classic Sonic. Again. Down to Core 4 vs Eggman. Again. Basically Mega Drive minus Hesse's beautiful artwork. That's a bad formula. And yet

Spoiler

First thing  that helps a lot is that it's finished story. Long (like 4 issues long), but it has a lot of characters to play with. Mega Drive 2: Next level felt a bit too much like repeat of first one and I suspect Overdrive would be similar.

Secondly, tons of humor. Again, Mega Drive had epic artwork. But I still though a lot "well, that was easy victory". Focus on comedy much remedied that.

Thirdly, characters! So many and so fascinating! You could argue that not all of them get a chance to shine, but frankly I can point many stories with small cast that can't do that either. And there are plenty great character moments.

Did you notice that Metal Knuckles got redesign? Round hands, retractable claws, lanky dreads, etc? Personally I like original much more. Look at both fists and tell me which one looks like it would hurt more. He was much tank-ier, so to speak. Still, I don't hate it. Nice to see him again.
Tails Doll is ... just here. I wish he did anything actually creepy rather than just floating ominously.

Hooligans are back and it's fascinating that they are very similar to Archie, but clearly not identical. Nack is back to "Fang" for some reason for example. Bean seems a liiitlle saner (he doesn't Break 4th wall anymore), Bark is "big softy" now. It's odd, but they still welcome back.

Heavy King is nice surprise. Admittedly he isn't that interesting. When HBH were made I pointed out that they aren't more interesting characters than Deadly Six, but they work better in context (if you have very basic personality, you don't need long cutscenes to show it off), so for now IDW Zavok is way superior. But you know, it's single story, he has limited time. And it's still nice too see him, and goofier tone fits him.

Which leads to Mighty & Ray. I don't have much to say about their personalities, but I have comments on appearances
Ray: I don't like his blue shoes (I know, I'm few years late to say that). Or to be more specific. I don't like that he changes shoes, but Mighty still has identical to Sonic. It just feels weird. What's worse, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Mighty all have red shoes, so those blues really stick out. The ironic part is that Flynn tried to make Ray and Mighty more "modern" design, and somehow it became part of his "classic" clothes.
....gimme a break, I'm one of those "OCD" sorta people.
Mighty: I really like his new fighting style. Back in Archie he was just "mighty", strong guy. You know, Knuckles. Except Knuckles punched, while Mighty tore of arms from robots, so he felt even stronger. That made him feel a little redundant.
Now he's still strong, but the focus is on defensive, like in Mania. He keeps getting shot, punched, hit and he's taking it like a tank.  It's just different enough to feel fresh from Knuckles and makes sense for armadillo.

(And hey, while art is not Hesse comparable, it's still really good, I liked Nights references in first zone).

Overall, while not even near trying to do anything daring, this was pretty fun.

Spoiler

" But Hard Boiled Heavies?  They guys with only one game, in which they betray Eggman? It's a little thing, but it's a little story, It kinda bugged me."

In the Mania manual, it says they're loyal to Eggman, but the Phantom Ruby "loosened a few of their screws."

850d54206bc8e2980e1f2c34a7a9f575ecac154d_hq.jpg

The Heavies weren't traitors (aside from King, who seems to be depicted as a serial traitor, as seen in the earlier story); they were just overloaded by the Ruby and went berserk. 

The artwork in the 30th anniversary special was spectacular. Dare I say I liked it more than Tyson Hesse's artwork in Mega Drive. Amy in particular looked absolutely adorable. The story was pretty standard fare, though the triumphant return of 

Spoiler

Mighty, Ray, Metal Knuckles, Bean, Bark and Nack--er, Fang--was a pleasant surprise.

The best thing about the Sonic learning to drive story was Sonic's dialogue. I don't know much about the McElroy brothers' other writing work, but I was laughing out loud throughout the whole story. Sonic's complete lack of comprehension on how a car worked was comedy gold. Keep these guys around, IDW.

The Eggman birthday story was cute. His relationship with his badniks was a treat to see. Sort of reminds me of Dr. Wily's dynamic with his robots in the Mega Man Megamix manga.

I hope this isn't just a one time thing and we can see more classic Sonic stories in the future, maybe even on a regular basis. They're super fun.

Spoiler

Still hard to get used to Nack getting the "Eggman" treatment and officially being renamed to Fang.

• Thumbs Up 4

I honestly enjoyed this special far more than anything in the serialized series. I want more of this honestly. 

I suppose having to tell the entire story in a single issue makes it flow a lot better. The monthly format really hurts the main series imo, and we can see that here. 

This might be an insane take but maybe the comic shouldn’t be monthly and just be released in a series of graphic novels instead to make things flow better. 

I think the comic would benefit from a bi-weekly schedule for its pacing provided it isn't too taxing on staff. And shift back to monthly when special issues (i.e Bad Guys, T&W, etc.) are in print.

33 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I think the comic would benefit from a bi-weekly schedule for its pacing provided it isn't too taxing on staff. And shift back to monthly when special issues (i.e Bad Guys, T&W, etc.) are in print.

Wouldn't that mean shorter issues?

I honestly like the take on the characters here more than the mainline too. Well Sonic & Tails are pretty much the same, but the others it was great to see how they were portrayed. I liked Amy as a character here more, Bean was really entertaining, Fang played really well off others, Bark maybe a bit underdone but kinda respectable. Only people I honestly couldn't give a crap about was Mighty and Ray. Kinda felt like a discount Sonic and Tails relationship without anything interesting to add or do differently with. Knuckles I just liked how he bounced off Sonic and called him a weirdo lol. Really liked how he was so adamant on forcing Bark into a proper fight to just slug it out. The only downside was the gag with Tails we kinda have seen like 3 or more times now so mileage may very.

Eggman was pretty enjoyable with his relationship to his robots and I couldn't help but chuckle at how the Tails doll is his teddy bear. This confirms my theory that Tails is a very fluffy boi and great snuggles that Eggman made his own. Even funnier when Tails whines that Sonic and Knuckles get this cool Metal duplicates but he gets a shitty doll XD. A fluffy boi who deep down wants to be cool too despite adorableness being hard to take seriously. Yep that's a kid alright.

Sonic driving I was afraid at first was gonna just be LOLZ CHILI DOGS but seeing just how much pain Sonic is in when it comes to following rules and speed limits just emotionally breaks him inside. That kind of humor I far enjoyed more than the chili dog gag. He just wants a car to win a race that requires cars, have some tunes on the go, and have a place to rest when he gets blisters after saving the world.

It's been a long time since I actually enjoyed a Sonic comic quite a bit and it's something I plan to read again sometime unlike most of the IDW run. I feel even if it was broken up into poor pacing like IDW main series has unfortunately had, the good stuff would still help it shine through even while being brought down by scheduling.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/23/2021 at 11:48 PM, Dr. Mechano said:
  Hide contents

In the Mania manual, it says they're loyal to Eggman, but the Phantom Ruby "loosened a few of their screws."

850d54206bc8e2980e1f2c34a7a9f575ecac154d_hq.jpg

The Heavies weren't traitors (aside from King, who seems to be depicted as a serial traitor, as seen in the earlier story); they were just overloaded by the Ruby and went berserk. 

Ok, fair point. But

1) It implies that Egg Robo were loyal, but Heavies are not. They gained sentience and decided to rebel.
I mean, I think, who can be certain with so little exposition? And even if they did really rebel, they got patch so now they "really" love Eggman. Except

2) Well, it still FEELS weird, since main tittle only shown them as rebel and this is tiny spin-off. It's like if Sonic in Minecraft revealed that Espio now works for Eggman, like forever now. You would be confused.

18 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Ok, fair point. But

1) It implies that Egg Robo were royal, but Heavies are not. They gained sentience and decided to rebel.
I mean, I think, who can be certain with so little exposition? And even if they did really rebel, they got patch so now they "really" love Eggman. Except

I mean, all the Heavies except for King are assisting Eggman in the second-to-last final boss battle, which seems pretty consistent with the way all the Heavies (including King) were depicted in this special.

It would seem, in the absence of the Phantom Ruby driving them crazy, the other four Heavies are happy to work for Eggman, and King - well - is just naturally ambitious and power-hungry on his own. Which I guess makes sense, his whole shtick is that he's a king. Of course he wants to be in charge of everyone.

• Thumbs Up 3