Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Did SEGA actually say the comic will be game-only? I know adaptions that only used stuff from the game and still managed to be good by interpreting and expanding them. So I am not so worried, but that is surprising. They learn something with Archie?

I think this discussion is over, but I want to post my opinion...I agree that the new comic does not have to have all the Archie “baggage”: the Eggboss, the “Hooligans” team, various freedom fighter and their background, etc etc… I would see it more as poor and lazy effort. They should want people to see and enjoy “IDW Sonic”, not “Archie Sonic renamed to IDW Sonic”. I think it's better to start fresh with their version of Freedom Fighters, new OCs and scrapped game characters. If Ian and the crew manage to get hired and continue their story that's totally fine. But if not even a reference can risk fans only looking at Archie’s nostalgia and critique the new comic based on them than looking at the creativity IDW may be able to offer.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Hide contents

Seriously though, what is he even talking about?

I believe he's going on about how everything before he left is copyrighted by him and previous authors due to Archie's legal fumble.

But wait, what if they contact him first? If it involves money they HAVE to do it right? RIGHT? /PendersMode

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Did SEGA actually say the comic will be game-only? I know adaptions that only used stuff from the game and still managed to be good by interpreting and expanding them. So I am not so worried, but that is surprising. They learn something with Archie?

Nothing has been said to what exactly they will be doing with the IDW book. We gotta wait and see.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Hmmm, so the only characters and concepts they can use are ones that were introduced from 2005 and onwar--

Screenshot_2017-07-21_20.39.41.png

Everyone...it's time for the rightful main character to take her place.

smile-blaze-blaze-and-honey-rules-273049

Reveal hidden contents

Seriously though, what is he even talking about?

I am good with that.  Blaze The Cat co staring Marine & Bean The Dynamite coming March 2018! 

* with random back-up strips for Sonic & The FF of course.*

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

I hope you're ready for this crossover. IT'S GONNA FUCKING HAPPEN!

MLP02.jpg

When I was commenting about the next game after Forces I WAS JOKING!!!!

Oh lord...

SO many people actually WANT this to happen, and now even if not in game form, it CAN...

...After 24 years I'm considering sucking my thumb again...

Need me a panic room.

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

Oh lord...

SO many people actually WANT this to happen, and now even if not in game form, it CAN...

Need me a panic room.

You get stressed out too easily. 

So what if it crosses over with it?

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

It'll apparently ruin Sonic's reputation since the franchise is too good for that(LOL). Or what @Strickerx5 has been tell me both fanbases will be at war and all hell will break lose or something like that idk. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

You've NO idea. I've been through some sh@% nobody should have to go through.

Forever ruined...

I'll share the twisted tale with you in a dark corner one day.

When you step into my mind...

You'll never be the same again.

Eh, don't really care. It's just one of those "Oh lordy" shaking your head kind of things.

Edit

The "art" would be interesting though...

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Why does it matter? We have an entire topic on here for MLP fans. Can't we just ignore it if it happens and let them have fun with something they enjoy?

You're preaching to the choir man. MLP is just too easy of a target for people. It's why I was against IDW getting the new comic in he first place because it would just spark all that shit up along with the usual Sonic mess.

Though, the entire idea of it is pretty far fetched to begin with. It would make more sense for the new comic to gain some ground on its own first before it even thinks about a cross over. Though, I trust in IDW on that front.

Plus, MLP is far from the only property IDW has. I mean hell, Dr. Who is in there I think. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

If this seriously comes to a MLP/Sonic crossover, I'm taking thermite to everything Sonic I own.

6 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

You're preaching to the choir man. MLP is just too easy of a target for people. It's why I was against IDW getting the new comic in he first place because it would just spark all that shit up along with the usual Sonic mess.

Though, the entire idea of it is pretty far fetched to begin with. It would make more sense for the new comic to gain some ground on its own first before it even thinks about a cross over. Though, I trust in IDW on that front.

Plus, MLP is far from the only property IDW has. I mean hell, Dr. Who is in there I think. XD

You do realize what site we're on right? Especially considering how sonic is a franchise where the media has a "bias" hatred towards it with that controversy with IGN. And for the last time guys IDW doesn't make Dr. Who anymore another company does it.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Oh lord...

Need me a panic room.

Fine, fine, fine. Sonic will crossover with the Micronauts, and the Streets of Rage characters can crossover with MLP. Everybody wins.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Except you're constantly making the assumption that they have to be there at the very beginning, stealing focus from the game cast, and we never see a Sonic focused arc...despite the fact I've said multiple times that the obvious compromise for both sides would be that the book starts with a focus on game cast and game stories and then can later start introducing some characters from other continuities. No one's asking for the Freedom Fighters to be there 24/7 and in every single story, but exactly why is it unreasonable that some point down the line, they're introduced and occasionally guest star in some stories, the same way Bean/Bark/Nack/Mighty/Ray did so in Post-Reboot Archie? 

Big difference. Boom!Knuckles has had practically every element stripped away from him that made the original character in the first place, and keep in mind, I like Boom!Knuckles, but calling him an accurate version of Knuckles isn't going to cut it. If the Freedom Fighters were to be introduced, they'd have the same personalities/personality traits but all of the baggage like backstories, Archie canon etc would be retold, altered and such to make it easier for the new comic's fans. Again, this is speaking hypothetically in a compromise where they have far less focus and only occasionally guest star with characters.

And you're right, 13-15 characters is enough to start a story off, but it's nowhere near enough to create a long narrative world like Archie did, so I don't know why we have to be completely against bringing in other characters that isn't strictly from the games. No one's saying they have to steal focus from the game cast, or be in every single story like the FF were in Archie, but the very idea that we can't have any other characters outside of the games to populate the world and occasionally show up just doesn't make sense to me.

And that's once again cherry picking out of context. Having the characters appear again, even briefly/in occasional stories would be enough to lessen the blow to Archie fans who practically got a long running history ripped away from them twice, this time including a cast of characters a lot of them grew up with. Once again, I don't see why it has to be this whole "my way or the highway mentality" when there's so many easy compromises to suit both sides that want only SEGA stuff, and those who want a bit more.

All of your points are very great, but there are some things you have to ignore M-D and Dio on.

There are just some fans who want Sonic/Tails/Eggman and a tight nit circle of the "usual" cast around them and nobody else no matter how detrimental it has been and will be to the franchise and those stances will never change.

Live and let live, have your opinions, let others have theirs, and leave it at that to avoid melodrama, that's how I feel.

I will say that I'm not about to play the games then read all about them in great length through a crap ton of comics. That's the problem with a comic series following the games too closely and focusing on the game cast.

You see them enough, you've been in the locations enough, you've already been through the story, there's no need to go through it all again through countless chapters of painstakingly drawn art dedicated to material you're already done with that would be better suited for working on completely different places and characters in a world that's an alternative to what you've already experienced.

I've ran through Green Hill a thousand times it feels like. I don't need to see it in comics another thousand, same as all the other locations in the series. Generations and Forces AND Mania isn't doing having a comic based on the games any favors as well.

If they're doing a new comic series, it needs to separate/differentiate itself from the games, have things NOT in the games, otherwise you're just reading what you've already played over and over.

In my opinion, screw that.

• Thumbs Up 6

My view is this.  I'm a grown man who is still a fan of an anthropamorphic cyborg rabbit.  It is by no means my place to judge others for liking magic talking horses.

I may not have much of any interest in that franchise myself, but there is an intersection between the two fanbases so if IDW did a crossover thats fine.  Those that want it could read it and the rest of us could ignore it like any other crossover out there.

Also does this mean we can get A Sonic VS Godzilla comic!? 

• Thumbs Up 5

Took them couple days to reveal this after the Archie comics are dead news, but at least SEGA didn't leave us hanging for long this time. So the comic series is going over to IDW huh? Can't say I know them much beyond the group that puts out the TMNT comics. I have no idea if I trust them to make the comic good or not and what characters they will include. Time will tell I suppose!

59 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Everyone...it's time for the rightful main character to take her place.

smile-blaze-blaze-and-honey-rules-273049

My very bias tastes make me say I wish! xD

Now for a more realistic wish... I'd love for Blaze to get a spin off series in the future with her as the MC. P;

• Thumbs Up 4

Comic Artist Caitlin Rose Boil (they did Jonsey for Boom) started drawing pics of Bunnie Rabbot after the IDW announcement.

Probably doesn't mean anything, but you never know.  Maybe SEGA wants a more SOL/Comedy direction for the new book!?

20170721_230442.png

• Thumbs Up 5

9 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Comic Artist Caitlin Rose Boil (they did Jonsey for Boom) started drawing pics of Bunnie Rabbot after the IDW announcement.

Probably doesn't mean anything, but you never know.  Maybe SEGA wants a more SOL/Comedy direction for the new book!?

20170721_230442.png

Now see... Here's my stance...

Bring the main Sonic cast, him, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Eggman.

Bring the main Freedom cast, Sally, Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor...

And completely REBOOT their origins and designs for an all new reality, an all new continuity.

Forget the whole kingdom thing, forget the whole Robotropolis thing, hell, they could even make Sally some ordinary citizen, maybe Tails assistant in his shop alongside Rotor.

You can bring BOTH teams to the new comic without ANYTHING from the past comics. It's called "introducing your cast" and you can tell any type of story to do so, you can give them any origin you want.

That's the point of a new series.

(And why BOOM failed initially due to lacking any sort of backstory acting as if the series existed from the very beginning)

No uncles, no parents, no royalty, none of that. Just the hedgehog and his ordinary friends that just so happen to stop the deeds of a man trying to conquer the world.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

(And why BOOM failed initially due to lacking any sort of backstory acting as if the series existed from the very beginning)

To be fair... BRB wanted the Sonic Boom game to be a origins story, but Sonic Team said "NO!"

• Thumbs Up 8

6 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

To be fair... BRB wanted the Sonic Boom game to be a origins story, but Sonic Team said "NO!"

Sonic Team: Where Our Motto Is If We Can't Put Out Good Sonic Media Then You Can't Either!

Still feel sorry for Big Red Button. :(

• Thumbs Up 6

30 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

They had the games, a TV show, AND a comic that could have told how Sonic and co. met in BOOM, how they came to live where they are, how Eggman came to start trying to take over their home...

An origin story for BOOM would have been COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to the games from Sonic Team so any explanation and/or reason for Sonic Team/SEGA hammering down on the BOOM FRANCHISES origin is completely...

(takes breath)

Be nice... Drink tea... Your check comes in the bank tonight...

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Somewhere, the person who runs Archie's social accounts is thanking God that he's going to be constantly annoying and mentioning IDW now.

Oh that's already starting...

Starting the royalties argument again and making up his own news about IDW wanting the back catalog even when all official word states "new adventures" etc

Poor IDW do they know what they have inherited along with the Sonic publishing rights...

• Thumbs Up 9

2 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Oh that's already starting...

Starting the royalties argument again and making up his own news about IDW wanting the back catalog even when all official word states "new adventures" etc

Poor IDW do they know what they have inherited along with the Sonic publishing rights...

IDW

I'll-Definitely-Whale on whoever causes us trouble.

I wouldn't worry about it. The way it sounds IDW is an entirely different beast than Archie so Poodles is barking at the Doberman now.

• Thumbs Up 6