Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

On one hand it is sad that we will maybe never see Sally and the rest of the Archie characters anymore, but on the other hand it would be better to only focus on the canon game characters. Sonic is a surprisely complicated series with way to many spin-off series which confuses the main stream costumer way to much. Sonic needs a clear direction for once. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

A small part of me is hoping that, with how IDW likes to revive old incarnations of their IP's, this could lead to miniseries' based on SatAM, AoStH, Underground, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

1 minute ago, Ernest the Snowpanda said:

A small part of me is hoping that, with how IDW likes to revive old incarnations of their IP's, this could lead to miniseries' based on SatAM, AoStH, Underground, etc.

I remember Ian planned to do a continuation of Underground, but it was scrapped.

"The characters he created." 

Flynn only wrote the new backstories for the Freedom Fighters. There's every chance that they may still appear in future, just not as you may remember them. Just a thought. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

37 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

"The characters he created." 

Flynn only wrote the new backstories for the Freedom Fighters. There's every chance that they may still appear in future, just not as you may remember them. Just a thought. 

And several characters from the reboot were not even created by him, but by other authors.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp, RIP every post-reboot Ian character.

No Coral

No Razor

No Spike/Sonar/Trevor

No Eclispe or Relic

No Thunderbolt, Conquering Storm, (poor CSS) or any of the Egg Bosses.

Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

My condolences to all the fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

As i’ve lost confidence in him to make interesting new characters (see: Og), RiP. At least Aleah Baker, Evan Stanley, and Tracey Yardley’s characters can still get in. Were there reasons why he couldn’t use his characters? 

43 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

As i’ve lost confidence in him to make interesting new characters (see: Og), RiP. At least Aleah Baker, Evan Stanley, and Tracey Yardley’s characters can still get in. Were there reasons why he couldn’t use his characters? 

Because this is a clean slate, without the Archie elements. Also, if Ian can't use his characters, I highly doubt he'd be able to use the other characters, since again, this is a clean slate.

• Thumbs Up 5

25 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Because this is a clean slate, without the Archie elements. Also, if Ian can't use his characters, I highly doubt he'd be able to use the other characters, since again, this is a clean slate.

Archie stuff could be included in this new slate without what made it Archie, like what they are allegedly doing with Classic and Boom.

4 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Archie stuff could be included in this new slate without what made it Archie, like what they are allegedly doing with Classic and Boom.

Maybe in the future, but don't get your hopes up.

BTW, in that same BumbleKast, there won't be any Boom elements in the foreseeable future, with the exception of maybe Sticks. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

I have conflicted feelings about this, in order:

1. The Ian created characters not being in the new comic is just a pity, a waste, because they were such good characters, I'll miss Eclipse, Relic, Razor, and the rest of the aquatic mobians, even the concept was just so cool, it's just wrong that it won't be used again, same for the Egg Bosses.

2. No Boom elements? I'm okay with this, I think they just don't mash well with the main Sonic universe, I didn't like Comedy Chimp and Fastidious Beaver in the crossover, they should stay in their own universe.

3. Sticks available? Yes! Finally some good news, he said because she proved popular they are using her in the main universe, so she will probably be in the comic, I think she deserved it for being such a great and unique character with so much potential.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Jack said:

3. Sticks available? Yes! Finally some good news, he said because she proved popular they are using her in the main universe, so she will probably be in the comic, I think she deserved it for being such a great and unique character with so much potential.

You mean, she'll appear in the main series games?

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

You mean, she'll appear in the main series games?

I don't know, but Ian basically confirmed her for the comic.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Jack said:

I don't know, but Ian basically confirmed her for the comic.

Keep in mind, he said it's a possibility. 

37 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Keep in mind, he said it's a possibility. 

I don't remember the exact quote, but he said she is available, so she can be used.

On 12/26/2017 at 4:22 AM, Red said:

Not sure if anyone's posted it here yet, but the recent BumbleKast had Ian deconfirm all the Archie Sonic characters he created. He keeps saying new a lot and repeating everything is new. So it seems like the IDW Comic will be a 100% clean slate.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXz6_GITGOY&feature=youtu.be

Well that’s disappointing...

I suppose the only silver lining here is that I didn’t have my hopes up for this, so it doesn’t impact as much.

Still sucks.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

20 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Og is fantastic. I honestly don't see what everyone's problem with him is.

• Nice Smile 1

On 24.12.2017 at 1:47 PM, RedFox99 said:

So I was reading this guy's post about why he doesn't like Ian's writing and he brought some pretty good point criticisms about the reboot. 

https://whitefox55.tumblr.com/post/168879508567/why-shattered-earth-is-a-mess-or-why-i-dont

Well, I finally got some time for reading this one and...

O__________________________O

That's not the way I mentally consumed the stuff printed in the issues! :blink:

Gee I feel alienated yet again, maybe I should go to the doctor for a quick check or something... seriously, that's not how I understood the stuff at all!

Gee abstract stuff's hard to approach, everybody has their own ideas about what something means and stuff.

One of these days everybody should make their own scripts, they should be drawn etc. by professionals and we could all find out what kind of storytelling works best for each of us.

Sadly there's no money for pulling out something like that.

Like writing an arc about Eggman means automatically the writer wants to make him the protagonist... gee that sounded like a tube-dimensional mentality...

---

After I heard of that no-Flynn-characters thing I started to wonder... The countdown has really started. Any guesses how long it takes from here to admit there'll be no FF anymore too?

I'm sad to see awesome and especially interesting characters gone for good.

Okay guys, where should I leave my keys if I decide to leave for good? I'm just making preparations...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2017/12/26 at 2:22 AM, Red said:

Not sure if anyone's posted it here yet, but the recent BumbleKast had Ian deconfirm all the Archie Sonic characters he created. He keeps saying new a lot and repeating everything is new. So it seems like the IDW Comic will be a 100% clean slate.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXz6_GITGOY&feature=youtu.be

I was wondering when he (or anyone working for IDW) would make it clear. Not a surprise, more of a relief tbh. 

Just hoping the fans of those characters won't say "the comic isn't worth reading anymore!" without giving a try. I know many were attached to the Archie series and are bummed. But Ian and other staff who made the characters/stories/art, which most of those people praised and loved, are coming back for IDW Sonic.

• Fist Bump 1