Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

7 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

This along with stuff like Bean being a woodpecker, Nack being a jerboa

These two specifically... I kind of doubt they'd bother changing things now when people have become so familiar with Bean the Dynamite Duck and Nack the Weasel over the years.

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

What in the hell is a jerboa.

Four-toes-jerboa.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Mister X said:

These two specifically... I kind of doubt they'd bother changing things now when people have become so familiar with Bean the Dynamite Duck and Nack the Weasel over the years.

Four-toes-jerboa.jpg

Rofl is that real. What in the world. add a gun to it and im dying lol

Personally, I would have been shocked if any Archie-exclusive cast had survived. Ian-made or not, SEGA-owned or not, it doesn't alter the fact that previous tendencies were against the notion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Personally, I would have been shocked if any Archie-exclusive cast had survived. Ian-made or not, SEGA-owned or not, it doesn't alter the fact that previous tendencies were against the notion. 

Even how IDW Ghostbusters is a menagerie of past Ghostbuster material, even Extreme and Answer The Call? Even with the mention of Boom stuff?

Very hoping Speedy be white. We already have two green birds, Bean and Jet.

2 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

This along with stuff like Bean being a woodpecker, Nack being a jerboa, the ugly original witchcarters... 

Will any of this be used?

Small correction, Nack is a half between a wolf and jerboa. As for whether they will be used....they're going to be "new" anyway, might as well.

Changing Bean's beak (minor detail) shouldn't be too much a problem. As for Nack's "the weasel" name, maybe change it to Japan's "Fang (Nack) the Sniper" ? And who knows, the witchcarters may get redesigns again.

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

Even how IDW Ghostbusters is a menagerie of past Ghostbuster material, even Extreme and Answer The Call?

All of that is irrelevant to SEGA's history of handling the franchise. 

2 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Even with the mention of Boom stuff?

Boom seems to be an exceptional case due to the way it was conceptualised and implemented (and only applies to Sticks, not any other Boom character). Other Sonic branches have not had luxury (even Sonic X, which had ST input and some character designs by Uekawa, just like Sticks). 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

12 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

All of that is irrelevant to SEGA's history of handling the franchise. 

Boom seems to be an exceptional case due to the way it was conceptualised and implemented (and only applies to Sticks, not any other Boom character). Other Sonic branches have not had luxury (even Sonic X, which had ST input and some character designs by Uekawa, just like Sticks). 

Yes, I also kinda assume by “Classic” material, they only mean stuff like Mighty or the Hard-Boiled Heavies.

We could also at least get a crossover with the Archie version to wrap things up.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

We could also at least get a crossover with the Archie version to wrap things up.

In my honest opinion, Archie Sonic is dead, and should stay dead. Maybe, just MAYBE, after a few years, once (or if) the comic has got off the ground, maybe Ian could introduce some ELEMENTS of Archie, but I highly doubt a full blown crossover.

4 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

What do you guys expect from the first four issues?

Starts with Sonic running in Green Hill Zone, and then there's robots, and he blows up the robots, and he saves Tails or a random animal. The animal/Tails looks up and says:

latest?cb=20120521221009

while Sonic smirks and the opening credits show. The name of the first part is a pun/reference to something or other. 

• Nice Smile 2
  • Fist Bump 1

8 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

- Sonic Forces aftermath

- Focuses on Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy... as it should be

- New but familiar robot designs

- Cameos by other characters

- General introduction of the characters and story

- Simple story

- New allies, as it's said in the description

- Dr. Eggman appears at the end of the first issue, showing he survived Forces (obviously)

- Possibly Infinite's whereabouts

- Iconic locations, including Green Hill Zone and "City" from Forces

- Some kind of world map, or maybe later in the comic

- Simple references to previous games

- No Freedom Fighters... for now

That's all I got.

12 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I really don't know, but i expect something structurally akin to Countdown to Chaos, we see Sonic and Tails doing something, something happens, and they go to assemble the team (whoever they are), so we are presented to the characters and locations, maybe we'll have a side plot with Eggman too (again, like in CtC), that would be interesting.

On a side note:

S O O N

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Btw, on the note on whether any of the Archie original characters could ever return, it's worth noting/reminding that pretty much anything Mr. Flynn and Co made for the comic--that isn't based around Penders and other older contract writers' concepts(besides Conquering Storm, oddly enough)-- technically belongs to SEGA and thus is fair game if they should ever allow it.

12 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

which had ST input and some character designs by Uekawa, just like Sticks). 

Oooh, so that's why she's just about the only Boom original that looks like a real Sonic character! Okay, it all makes perfect since now!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2

5 hours ago, Dr. Jack said:

- Focuses on Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy... as it should be

If Sonic can't be "bogged down" by the Freedom Fighters, I don't see why Amy and Knuckles (esp. Knuckles who has no reason to be tagging behind Sonic the whole time) should be given a pass. I'd rather have it focus solely on Sonic and Tails with regular appearances by Amy and Knuckles as necessary than have them shoehorned in 100% of the time for nostalgia.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2

58 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

If Sonic can't be "bogged down" by the Freedom Fighters, I don't see why Amy and Knuckles (esp. Knuckles who has no reason to be tagging behind Sonic the whole time) should be given a pass. I'd rather have it focus solely on Sonic and Tails with regular appearances by Amy and Knuckles as necessary than have them shoehorned in 100% of the time for nostalgia.

Because they are main and iconic characters? (Unlike the Freedom Fighters)

This is why I prefer Boom sometimes, Knuckles can stay in the group without having to worry about the Master Emerald, and fans can't complain about plotholes.

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Dr. Jack said:

This is why I prefer Boom sometimes, Knuckles can stay in the group without having to worry about the Master Emerald, and fans can't complain about plotholes.

Main and iconic due to their respected roles and so they can’t be there all the time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Jack said:

Because they are main and iconic characters?

So the "Sonic must be free and not attached to any city or group that slows him down" premise is false, given that we got an exception here... Look, i'm totally for Sonic being free most of the time having smaller adventures be with Tails or any other character, and reuniting in a group only on major arcs when the stakes are higher, now to complain about the Freedom Fighters and give that premise as to why the group structure don't work or it compromises Sonic's character in some way but give the same structure a pass 'cause "oh they are the main and iconic characters" and completely ignoring the lore just to have Knuckles around too...

• Thumbs Up 2

Well for one, there's a slight difference in that Knuckles and Amy revolve around Sonic, not the other way around. More like Mega Drive than Genesis, in terms of comics. 

The second is that...unfortunately, that's already the approach modern alternate media seems to be taking. Did anyone read the excerpt from that Tales of Deception book? That would give people a reason to complain. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

The only thing I'm worried about is how SEGA will interfere. Yes, Ian has his flaws, But he makes really good stories and characters. The main problem, however, is SEGA giving a laundry list of what Ian can or can't do. The conference said that SEGA will let them situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis, but we don't know if SEGA will listen to them.

Of course I was never talking about Sonic being attached to other characters, I meant the focus should be on those 4 plus Eggman, Knuckles and Amy could as well have their side stories with other characters involved, to mix up the teams and interactions, I just want them to be a full time presence like in Boom and like the Freedom Fighters used to do in the previous book.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Jack said:

You can say a lot of characters are "Main and iconic." (yes, that includes the Freedom Fighters since we're talking about the comics). Doesn't mean they need to be shoehorned into every single issue of the new books, especially since Amy and Knuckles' roles detach them from Sonic a lot (Knuckles has Angel Island to guard and Sonic spends a lot of time actively avoiding Amy)

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

The only thing I'm worried about is how SEGA will interfere. Yes, Ian has his flaws, But he makes really good stories and characters. The main problem, however, is SEGA giving a laundry list of what Ian can or can't do. The conference said that SEGA will let them situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis, but we don't know if SEGA will listen to them.

Didn't they say the mandate/limit will be more loose? Most of the mandates that I heard of were either reasonable or "uh, ok, whatev" for me.

Sonic can't cry his eyes out? There are many other ways to express sadness or despair. Sonic can't be in romance? Well there are other type of relationship/dynamics, and apparently flirting doesn't count (please no more shipping wars). No relatives for game characters? Don't make the lack of them feel unusual. Cream can't fight, and wasn't allowed to appear until later? Give her a support role, and give her an intro instead of suddenly appearing. Sonic need to always win? Doesn't mean a grand victory, and doesn't mean he can't suffer some (permanent) loss. 

I think the writers can write a good story that don't feel limited or mandated as long as they do it right. There were times Ian had found loop holes/twists or did great without breaking rules, and in another time did something sloppy that made "well the mandate..." feel like an excuse. Of course I don't know the whole mandate and I can't write, so I shouldn't judge... 

• Thumbs Up 2