Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I just hope Ian turns out to still be working on the comics, as well as the artists. Even if the story goes full reboot and we lose the Freedom Fighters, Ian and co would probably still be enough to bring me to the new series.

Also, I just realised we lost Breezie and Honey. Fuck.

Honey is a game character (sorta)  so she could still come back.

As for the FF.  IDW does a pretty good job of using its books to show love to franchises legacy/history so the FF aren't that far fetched if SEGA plays nice.  Though they would probably show up a less or be regulated to back-up strips.

• Thumbs Up 5

I really hope they keep the Archie stuff out of this.

It just does not need that baggage. Just do something completely new with it.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, SonicComicFanboy said:

Honey is a game character (sorta)  so she could still come back.

As for the FF.  IDW does a pretty good job of using its books to show love to franchises legacy/history so the FF aren't that far fetched if SEGA plays nice.  Though they would probably show up a less or be regulated to back-up strips.

I have my doubts. It depends how much IDW/Whoever's writing would bargain for them. Keep in mind, SEGA didn't want them back, Ian had to flat out bargain with them in order to allow those characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, it'll be interesting to see what comes of this. If this is a proper new series and not some attempted continuation of Archie Sonic, and they manage to build a series that actually feels like the (good) games, I might actually find myself buying Sonic comics for the first time since I was a child.

Or it could turn out to be a huge mess like most things Sonic. Just gotta wait and see, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Mayor D said:

I really hope they keep the Archie stuff out of this.

It just does not need that baggage. Just do something completely new with it.

Why exactly would it matter if they reintroduced the FF in the same vein as the SEGA cast? 

Like dump all reboot stuff, and keep the FF alive in a new reboot.

• Thumbs Up 9

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Why exactly would it matter if they reintroduced the FF in the same vein as the SEGA cast? 

Because I want to see Sega/Sonic characters in the Sonic comic. I don't want loads of random characters taking up story time.

It's a new publisher. A new thing to get people interested again. Don't turn it into Archie 2.0 or diet Archie just because of legacy reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well,  I have it in good faith that IDW will do better with sustaining the comic than Archie were at least. 

They've had better track records. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Well Ian said that polite tweets and emails might help get him on board and continue the continuity that Archie left behind.

Here's there contact page if anybody is intrigued (I would think the people to talk to would be media inquires, though you could always just send them a letter):

http://www.idwpublishing.com/contact/

• Thumbs Up 7

Interesting. On one hand IDW is a better publisher than Archie. On the other, this could most likely be a complete reboot of the sonic comics. Let's just see what happens with this. 

Also people saying they want X and Y on board... shocking lack of Mr Elson posts in here.

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Like dump all reboot stuff, and keep the FF alive in a new reboot.

Personally speaking, I don't give a shit about them. They are not who I follow Sonic for. So if they were in this as major characters, I likely wouldn't bother with this, since they'd be taking away time from the characters I do care about.

Also if they start introducing a bunch of Archie Sonic elements, that starts building expectations of continuing what Archie Sonic was doing (in some form, not necessarily a literal continuation). And I think it would be better for a new comic to not be weighed down by all that.

• Thumbs Up 8

Announced the day after it became official the Archie comics were over. That's brilliant.

All the respect in the world to the fine folks who actually worked on the Archie comic book but I get all giddy inside imagining how this conversation went down with the corporate people up on top who make up the "company" side of things that everyone hates.

"Yeah Archie, your legal team was so shit that you had to fire them and re-hire some new ones, the Walking Internet Punch-line Ken Penders managed to get a leg up on you, and you pulling out of comic-con on top of your endless silence concerning the people who've been subscribed to you for that Sonic comic is making us look even worse than we already do. We've been in bed with IDW for a while now so we're just gonna take that ring we gave you back, dust it off, and hand it to them... so... thanks..."

And then when SEGA leaves the Archie household he just shouts back, "Riverdale sucks!" and then leaves. 

I'm playing around of course. I've never seen Riverdale.

• Thumbs Up 6

Juuuuuuust fascinating, I mean really, an even more game focused world?

As if the actual games weren't lackluster enough...Post Reboot Archie's continuity was absolutely perfect, it was amazing just the way it was by combining various elements, such as cartoons, forgotten obscure characters, and fixing the writing flaws the game suffered by making it all fit into well the new world which was already game focused and it worked so great.

But hey! Nothing beats having countless stories with the same 13 characters and most of them being very likely focused only on Sonic, Tails, and Eggman with occasional guest appearances from Amy, Knuckles, Shadow etc!

However, as such as it hurts and sucks eggs to lose the Freedom Fighters, Hooligans, Egg Army etc, I can forgive and have a shot at the new IDW continuity if it's handled the way Ian did by more world building, and new characters to keep things fresh.

And speaking of which....please bring him and the crew back...

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You said "I don't want Archie baggage". Fair enough, but introducing those characters in this new world without the backstory of the other universe would get rid of that baggage.

Yeah so there's utterly no point including them then.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Personally speaking, I don't give a shit about them. They are not who I follow Sonic for. So if they were in this as major characters, I likely wouldn't bother with this, since they'd be taking away time from the characters I do care about.

Also if they start introducing a bunch of Archie Sonic elements, that starts building expectations of continuing what Archie Sonic was doing (in some form, not necessarily a literal continuation). And I think it would be better for a new comic to not be weighed down by all that.

I have to agree with Dio here. Sonic's "friends" could get a little more action now. We already have them, why use the Freedom Fighters again if you're starting anew?

Although if they keep Nicole I'll be happy. But the rest... Eh...

• Thumbs Up 3

52 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

... now we just need confirmation that there isn't a reboot and the original creative team is back.

Said "new series" so... not even a reboot. New series, entirely.

I dunno anything about IDW, so I don't know their type of creativity.

• Thumbs Up 2

To SEGA, it probably is. That's entirely because of how they view old works. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Nice work cherry picking points to try make your argument sound good. 

Yeah because it would be a waste of my time to even bother replying since your opening line completely undermines your own argument.

"I want the Archie characters in. But they don't have to be like the old Archie characters"

So what's the point then? There isn't any other than you just don't want them gone.

I want the new sonic comic to tell me new stories about Sonic and his game buddies. Not to be about Sonic and the people he used to know in that old comic but not quite.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Because I want to see Sega/Sonic characters in the Sonic comic. I don't want loads of random characters taking up story time.

It's a new publisher. A new thing to get people interested again. Don't turn it into Archie 2.0 or diet Archie just because of legacy reasons.

Well some of us want am actual comic and not soulless a 32 page ad.

But again to each their own.  Just have to wait & see what comes in 2018! 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Mayor D said:

Yeah because it would be a waste of my time to even bother replying since your opening line completely undermines your own argument.

"I want the Archie characters in. But they don't have to be like the old Archie characters"

So what's the point then? There isn't any other than you just don't want them gone.

Uh no. That's not what I said at all. Considering characters are comprised of different personalities and thought processes. How would the characters not be the characters if they lost their previous baggage and their backstories were retold in a lighter way and they were reintroduced - the same personalities, but different stories/retold stories at some point down the line.

Or are you next going to start telling me that Knuckles shouldn't have been in the post-reboot world because he lost the previous baggage from Penders, including his entire backstory, cast of characters and world?

• Thumbs Up 8