Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Something just occurred to me: we know the first four issues are coming in April, and that initially led to the assumption that we would see the solicits for them in the April solicits released in January, right?

Except, don't issues released in solicits correspond to the month they're shipped out rather than the sale month?

If that's the case, then shouldn't we really be getting at least the first issue in the March solicits (December) since April 4th release = late March shipping?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 2

6 hours ago, Eerie-Ernest-Panda said:

Something just occurred to me: we know the first four issues are coming in April, and that initially led to the assumption that we would see the solicits for them in the April solicits released in January, right?

Except, don't issues released in solicits correspond to the month they're shipped out rather than the sale month?

If that's the case, then shouldn't we really be getting at least the first issue in the March solicits (December) since April 4th release = late March shipping?

Sorry but what are solicits and how do they work?

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Sorry but what are solicits and how do they work?

Solicits are the previews that come out for upcoming issues, they usually come 4 months prior to a issue release

this is a solicitation:

Spoiler

Sonic283.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #283
Script: Ian Flynn
Art: Jamal Peppers, Jennifer Hernandez, Terry Austin, John Workman & Gabriel Cassata
Sonic the Hedgehog #283 CVR A Reg: Diana Skelly
Sonic the Hedgehog #283 CVR B Variant: Adam Bryce Thomas, Gary Martin & Gabriel Cassata
SONIC and the FREEDOM FIGHTERS are GO in “The Mission”: Sonic and Sally put out the call to the world! They have the Chaos Emeralds, they have the Gaia Keys, and now they have a plan! And the central hero to it all is… Cream?! Then, in “Zero Hour,” Dr. Eggman finally tracks down Phage! And when Tails Doll gives the mad doctor some crucial info, will Sonic’s plans for saving the world fall apart? Featuring cover art by the delightful Diana Skelly and a “GUARDIANS” variant cover by the amazing Adam Bryce Thomas!
On Sale Date: 4/13
32-page, full color comic
$3.99 U.S.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, NikoS said:

Solicits are the previews that come out for upcoming issues, they usually come 4 months prior to a issue release

this is a solicitation:

Hide contents

Sonic283.jpg

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #283
Script: Ian Flynn
Art: Jamal Peppers, Jennifer Hernandez, Terry Austin, John Workman & Gabriel Cassata
Sonic the Hedgehog #283 CVR A Reg: Diana Skelly
Sonic the Hedgehog #283 CVR B Variant: Adam Bryce Thomas, Gary Martin & Gabriel Cassata
SONIC and the FREEDOM FIGHTERS are GO in “The Mission”: Sonic and Sally put out the call to the world! They have the Chaos Emeralds, they have the Gaia Keys, and now they have a plan! And the central hero to it all is… Cream?! Then, in “Zero Hour,” Dr. Eggman finally tracks down Phage! And when Tails Doll gives the mad doctor some crucial info, will Sonic’s plans for saving the world fall apart? Featuring cover art by the delightful Diana Skelly and a “GUARDIANS” variant cover by the amazing Adam Bryce Thomas!
On Sale Date: 4/13
32-page, full color comic
$3.99 U.S.

Ok thanks.

• Nice Smile 1

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:24 AM, Eerie-Ernest-Panda said:

They're three months apart, man. We just got the January Solicits so logically in January we'll be seeing April Solicits.

• Nice Smile 1

25 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

They're three months apart, man. We just got the January Solicits so logically in January we'll be seeing April Solicits.

I think you're missing the point.

Issues revealed in solicits, unless I'm wrong, correspond to the month that they're shipped out as opposed to the month they go on sale. Issue 1 is releasing on April 4th, meaning it'd need to be shipped out in late March to make that date. Ergo, it'd show up in the March solicits, releasing in December.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

3 minutes ago, Eerie-Ernest-Panda said:

I think you're missing the point.

Issues revealed in solicits, unless I'm wrong, correspond to the month that they're shipped out as opposed to the month they go on sale. Issue 1 is releasing on April 4th, meaning it'd need to be shipped out in late March to make that date. Ergo, it'd show up in the March solicits, releasing in December.

I'm not sure that's how it works. I'm pretty sure it's the month they're supposed to be released.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or not, but I really hope we just start with a complete blank slate with these IDW comics. I want Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Eggman, and the characters I know, and not the 90's cartoon characters I never watched. I don't want the Sally's, Bunnie's, Nicoles, whatevers. I just want the iconic characters to be the ones to follow. And that's not me saying those other characters are bad or whatever....cept for Scourge that seemed really dumb. It's just I get completely lost/disinterested when any focus is on them. Especially when characters I want to see take a back seat to them. As much shit and pure potentially unrivaled hatred I give Sonic Boom, at least it always focuses on at least one or all of the main cast, and doesn't make them a back seat to some other folk.

As an outsider as well as a person not groomed/not raised with those characters in a sub series, I can't bring myself to care for em. I am not against them returning, but so long as it doesn't take away from the characters I want to see front and center. I don't want the iconic characters to become supplementary/background characters to their stories. If anything I'd rather it be the flipside. Though I do understand the ire some long fans have. I think those comics have gone on for so long, it's about time for a new fresh take that will allow a new generation of people/readers to follow along. Or an older generation who never really followed the comics/SATAM.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Okay, so before Forces came out I was heavily against a comic adaptation of Forces being a thing.

Now that it's out and I've seen what the "Story" actually had in store for us I want an adaptation about it from this comic more than fucking ever.

It doesn't have to be the thing we start off with or anything like that but ... I need to see what COULD have been so fucking badly now. 

The intense let-down is hurting so much.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

• The title was changed to IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog (coming 2018)

Agree with the detective, that could be so sweet to see Forced done properly. As for RedFox's question, the simplest answer would be 'all of them'. I really hope we're getting a Sonic Universe-type of book eventually.

Overall I hope we don't start with blank slate and Green Hill zone. I'm 90% sure the first story will be mostly fighting Eggman in "hey, remember that?" kind of way, but I want to move to the new type of stories ASAP.

Funny enough there is no character I MUST see. I mean, Flynn is the writer, I know how he writes Shadow or Knuckles. Unless I learn some game-changing info, I'm pretty calm.

• Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or not, but I really hope we just start with a complete blank slate with these IDW comics. I want Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Eggman, and the characters I know, and not the 90's cartoon characters I never watched. I don't want the Sally's, Bunnie's, Nicoles, whatevers. I just want the iconic characters to be the ones to follow. And that's not me saying those other characters are bad or whatever....cept for Scourge that seemed really dumb. It's just I get completely lost/disinterested when any focus is on them. Especially when characters I want to see take a back seat to them. As much shit and pure potentially unrivaled hatred I give Sonic Boom, at least it always focuses on at least one or all of the main cast, and doesn't make them a back seat to some other folk.

As an outsider as well as a person not groomed/not raised with those characters in a sub series, I can't bring myself to care for em. I am not against them returning, but so long as it doesn't take away from the characters I want to see front and center. I don't want the iconic characters to become supplementary/background characters to their stories. If anything I'd rather it be the flipside. Though I do understand the ire some long fans have. I think those comics have gone on for so long, it's about time for a new fresh take that will allow a new generation of people/readers to follow along. Or an older generation who never really followed the comics/SATAM.

You're not a minority, just for information sake. Although I firmly believe that brand new OC's will come out because the SEGAcast is heavily mandated (for obvious reasons). I'd bet 20 euros in 50 issues in max.

21 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

So what characters would you guys like to see get their own stories in the new comics?

Every game character. If things go well, I’m all for another Sonic Universe esque comic. 

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

So what characters would you guys like to see get their own stories in the new comics?

Outside of the usual three/four/five, Rouge, Cream, Espio, Charmy, Omega, Gemerl, Wave, Marine and Gardon could all use some dedicated focus. And that's just purely game characters.

Wish there were more villains to cycle through.

Hopefully, the newer contracts mean a lot of the more notable Reboot characters can return.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Let’s see if they can make the Deadly Six decent characters. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It might be neat if they held off on a Forces adaptation until they might be able to use it to spin a Classic Sonic book off from it. And maybe the FF could be a part of that universe, if they aren't going to be a part of the Modern stuff.

Or even if they are.

• Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I'm going to have to remind folks that the game characters shared and alternated the spotlight with every other character and were given fair treatment, and were only given the back seat when the story wasn't about them no different to when characters like Sally and Rotor took a back seat when it wasn't about them. 'K?

People tend to exaggerate their background roles more than it really is to the point that it comes off as greedy and silly. The game cast can afford to share, and they've gotten more than what they would have gotten from the games despite that. That's not me saying people should love characters they don't like, but to understand that them not getting the spotlight isn't as bad as people seem to think ot is.

Agreed. Although honestly the more I see people complain about the FF the more I want them in IDW completely out of spite.

Honestly I really do hope we get a melting pot of characters like IDW tends to do. I'd love a mix of Game, DIC, Archie, Topaz and maybe even a little bit of Boom. Plus their own original stuff too.

Aaaaaand cue the Game only people.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

I will always think IDW should go clean slate given this opportunity. Clean slate as in "no stuff they built in Archie comic because that would just be Archie Sonic 2.0", and not "no original whatsoever". I'm totally fine with adding stuff from various series and obscure materials, and having original main characters as long as they don't start pulling in Archie's Sonicverse in. I want something new. But that's just me and some other people. 

Doesn't mean I will not read if they add Archie's stuff. In the end I'm fine with anything as long as they do it right. I don't think arguing "I want the comic to (not) have this/that" would change anything so I don't mind what people want or don't want.

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I'm going to have to remind folks that the game characters shared and alternated the spotlight with every other character and were given fair treatment, and were only given the back seat when the story wasn't about them no different to when characters like Sally and Rotor took a back seat when it wasn't about them. 'K?

People tend to exaggerate their background roles more than it really is to the point that it comes off as greedy and silly. The game cast can afford to share, and they've gotten more than what they would have gotten from the games despite that. That's not me saying people should love characters they don't like, but to understand that them not getting the spotlight isn't as bad as people seem to think ot is.

Can't say I ain't being greedy. I kinda am. I read some of those stories and just got really bored of seeing these 90's characters take front and center stage. For a long time comic fan, I can see why it would be fine. Why this isn't a problem. If I were a long time fan following, I probably would be on the side to potentially keep all the characters. But I'm from the casual outside and I dislike seeing characters I want to see take a back seat, or take orders/subservient to non game characters. And that's not going into if said other characters are more competent than some of the frontline iconic ones. 

But these are my personal feelings, not at all coincide to fact or whatever as I don't have enough experience with the comics to make these calls. I've only seen the more recent ones before cancellation. None of it is based on facts or understanding of all the comic characters, as I don't have that. These are new comics, and I don't really want them to have to either continue a extremely long comic series, or try and just pony off it. Just like with Marvel, DC, etc. I want a clean slate. I want a whole new universe of comics that don't rely on Archie. Archie had a ridiculously long run so it ran it's course. It's a shame how it abruptly ended though.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dbzfan7 said:

Can't say I ain't being greedy. I kinda am. I read some of those stories and just got really bored of seeing these 90's characters take front and center stage. For a long time comic fan, I can see why it would be fine. Why this isn't a problem. If I were a long time fan following, I probably would be on the side to potentially keep all the characters. But I'm from the casual outside and I dislike seeing characters I want to see take a back seat, or take orders/subservient to non game characters. And that's not going into if said other characters are more competent than some of the frontline iconic ones. 

But these are my personal feelings, not at all coincide to fact or whatever as I don't have enough experience with the comics to make these calls. I've only seen the more recent ones before cancellation. None of it is based on facts or understanding of all the comic characters, as I don't have that. These are new comics, and I don't really want them to have to either continue a extremely long comic series, or try and just pony off it. Just like with Marvel, DC, etc. I want a clean slate. I want a whole new universe of comics that don't rely on Archie. Archie had a ridiculously long run so it ran it's course. It's a shame how it abruptly ended though.

That’s not to say those characters couldn’t be included in some other way. Probably just as minor characters. I’d even take a crossover with the old continuity.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

That’s not to say those characters couldn’t be included in some other way. Probably just as minor characters. I’d even take a crossover with the old continuity.

I agree. I said I'd be ok if they appeared in some form. Just not as relevant. Or maybe as a crossover in the future which I'd be ok with.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Infinite, as an antagonist

He have potential as a villain, i wish Ian could write him someday

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 3