Awoo.

Sonic Mania Special Stage Revealed

Zippo

...oh. A combination of my two least favorite special stages.

...well, maybe the depth perception won't be terrible this time around?

The 3D model looks exactly like the Saturn one used in Sonic 3D Blast. Granted, it's a little out of place considering the rest of the game is in pixel art, but as long as it's fun, I'm in. Love me some Sonic CD Special Stages, combined with Sonic 3 then? Jackpot. And if you have to "catch" the Emerald, it will be similar to Heroes, chances are the Emerald CAN ESCAPE! D:

6 minutes ago, Jango said:

And if you have to "catch" the Emerald, it will be similar to Heroes, chances are the Emerald CAN ESCAPE! D:

At least there will be plenty of chances to get the chaos emeralds (at least two special stage rings per act) unlike Heroes one attempt per zone.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Aside from having a Mode 7 track and there being a UFO to catch... I'm not sure how this is a Sonic CD Special Stage derivative? It's a racetrack like F-Zero. The blue spheres make you faster. If anything, this is closer to Sonic Heroes because you need to catch the Emerald. But without the janky controls. 

It's not the rotating maze.

It's not the memorization-heavy halfpipe.

It's not the 3D map that's Blue Spheres.

It's not the UFO hunt in a flat 3D world.

Not sure how you could even make the association beyond surface level reactions and just going into it with a negative mindset. And, y'know, not reading things. They're taking the visual cues from the other ones, not the gameplay mechanics.

Whelp, don't let me ruin your pessimism! 

If people can have a laundry list about thins they don't like about Forces I think I can have one thing I dislike about Mania. Sorry I'm not drooling profusely over every single aspect of this game like the rest of you.

Also I don't see how comparing these special stages from ones from a game that I haven't played, and even if I had, probably wouldn't like is supposed to turn me around.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

If people can have a laundry list about thins they don't like about Forces I think I can have one thing I dislike about Mania. Sorry I'm not drooling profusely over every single aspect of this game like the rest of you.

It's fine to have critiques about Mania ofc, but yours doesn't seem based on what's actually being presented here; I have issues with CD's Special Stages myself, but this evidently is more of a linear chase thing, with less flimsy depth perception due to the shift to 3D. 

I'm still wary of how it'll control, mind, but I can't base my opinion on these off of the considerably different (gameplay-wise) previous stages. 

Also crying about people not liking how Forces is shaping up while taking a dig at people who (justifiably) like how Mania is shaping up is... kinda daft. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Just realized my nostalgia is probably going to kick into overdrive when I play this just cause I grew up with 3D Blast PC AND Sonic CD AND Sonic 3!!!!

Gaaaah! This game! :D

8 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

Fam, I'm just confused as to how you came to your conclusion when it's got none of the mechanics of the old special stages. It's a new thing, and you're calling it a combination of the two. I'm in perfect rights to call you out on that. 

If this was the halfpipe and you hated the halfpipe, then continue to hate the halfpipe, bruddah. I just can't even place what two special stages you're thinking of, because it's incredibly nebulous at this point.

The Forces argument is hardly relevant right now. The laundry list of Forces hate is based off of stuff we know. Mania's special stage is something we haven't seen yet. If it were something we've already played in a game previously, then yeah man go at it. If you happened to play the special stages and they suck, then we've got something to work on.

Just... It's a new thing man. Like. Just pointing out it's not the same thing. 

If it doesn't sound fun then aight. Just don't call it something it's not.

• Thumbs Up 2

Damn, looks good.

Didn't think they'd actually go with 3D models, I thought the polygonal Giant Rings were just a stylistic choice and just and weren't hints or anything, but look at that. I really like the bleak drop shadows everything has and the general look of it with those pillars, the "Emerald Chase" goal of the stages reminds me of Heroes, wonder how this will look in motion.

Also loving the snippet of the Special Stage's theme someone was able to record.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, this doesn't sound great to me with what has been presented. If it's challenging in any way, then I'll at least appreciate that aspect of it. I kinda like to be part of the group that accomplishes things that generally isn't doable by the majority.

I Hate the Sonic 3 Special Stages, while I love the Sonic CD Special Stages. This will be interesting...

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

Also crying about people not liking how Forces is shaping up while taking a dig at people who (justifiably) like how Mania is shaping up is... kinda daft. 

One sentence = crying. Good to know.

Regardless of what the special stages actually turn out to be, the fact remains that I've only ever liked one of them is this whole series and I have no reason to believe that Mania is gonna change that. Can I have that? Is that okay to say?

2 hours ago, Jango said:

The 3D model looks exactly like the Saturn one used in Sonic 3D Blast. Granted, it's a little out of place considering the rest of the game is in pixel art, but as long as it's fun, I'm in.

Sonic 3D Saturn uses pixel art for regular gameplay and 3D for its special stages, you know :P

4 minutes ago, Adamis said:

Sonic 3D Saturn uses pixel art for regular gameplay and 3D for its special stages, you know :P

What he means is that the Saturn Special stages are all 3D. This one is Mode7 style pixel art with a 3D model in it. There's a difference.

19 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

I have no reason to believe that Mania is gonna change that. Can I have that? Is that okay to say?

Gross.

(Im kidding, you're fine lol)

Am I really the only one who thinks of Sonic Colours DS instead of Sonic 3 when I see those spheres? I really doubt they are going to work even close to how they did in S3&K...

I'm seeing influences from all kinds of Sonic Special Stages, both Classic and Modern:

-Sonic 1: the background fish.

-Sonic CD: the UFO.

-Chaotix: the 3D behind-the-back and Rings as a time limit.

-Heroes: chasing the Chaos Emerald.

-Colours DS: blue and yellow spheres as collectables.

And all of this just from a single screenshot!

• Thumbs Up 3

@Ajavalo The blue spheres this time around function more like Sonic Heroes in the sense that it gives you a speed boost to reach the emerald quicker. Still wondering what the yellow spheres do, though. Prob the same thing, but doesn't fill your gauge as much.

I wonder if there's any nods to Sonic 2 though, like say you have to be at a certain mach speed level before each checkpoint / barrier before finally reaching the final goal where the UFO resides for added challenge? Wondering if they're gonna throw some half pipes and multiple road ways here and there along the race track, too, kinda like what Saturn 3D Blast did. Should be interesting either way.

2 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

We gots some music! 

Has anybody pointed out the Sonic Rush in that track?

Looks cool. Can't wait to play these special stages. I wonder if there are any red spheres in these special stages?

Every time I learn more about Sonic Mania....the love, the quality, the style, the charm....the overwhelmingly positive reception by everyone, not just Sonic fans.... It makes me wonder why Sonic Team has not been fired yet.
I've supported this franchise for its entire history, most of my natural life and these clowns are outdone by a ragtag group of programmers who have like a tenth of the resources they do. There is absolutely no excuse for this. If Forces doesn't sell well, they definitely need to be fired but they probably need to go anyway. They do not understand Sonic much at all. They've spent so much time trying to make Sonic something he is not. Mania is like a giant wake up slap to their faces. Quit the nonsense.

Just had a wild thought, maybe Mania has exclusive level themed special stages like Sonic 3 where color schemes matched the levels: first special stage = angel island, second = hydrocity etc. Or maybe I'm looking too closely at the cathedral pillars in the back...maybe it's a water themed level, those fishes btw...

:P

Okay. WOW.

If these 3D Special Stages control extremely well to the point of feeling like they can work for a fully-fledged game, then I seriously hope they go for it later.

I liked the Special Stages in Heroes and Generations 3DS, so a much more polished less stiff and janky version of those sounds absolutely fantastic to me. I actually feel comfortable being happy and hyped for this game again. <3

Woah, I really like this.

There are very few special stages I like, especially in the classic series (I don't like Sonic 1's rotating mazes, I HATE Sonic 2's half-pipes, I like the concept of Sonic CD's UFO hunts but not the execution, I like Sonic 3&K's blue spheres and I like Knuckles' Chaotix's... things) but I really, REALLY like this concept, I'm a sucker for early 3D graphics so I already love how these special stages look and the idea of combining what's good about other special stages to create a new thing is awesome.

Can't wait, maybe for once I'll actually have a shit ton of fun trying to get all the emeralds.