Awoo.

Do you think Sonic Forces or Mania will have an online functionality besides online leaderboards?

Detective Kaito

At various interviews, Aaron Webber was asked about online in Sonic Forces and Mania, and from what I recall, all he had to say is that they'll talk about that later.

Seeing as Aaron also confirmed that Sonic Forces is only a single player game and anytime someone asks about multiplayer in Mania he only talks about how a second player could control Tails.

From what I could gather, this means there won't be any sort of local multiplayer for the 2 games (besides 2nd player controlling Tails), let alone online multiplayer. Now I could be wrong about all this, but I won't expect any sort of split-screen or whatever like Sonic 2 had.

With that said, do you think these 2 games will have any online functionality besides online leaderboards?

Forces will have a dating sim where you can RP chat with other people and swap fanfic ideas. (Among other things)

Jokes aside, I doubt there will be any other online features. Only things I can think of are uploading replays and maybe trading Gadgets/Accessories for Custom Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 4

The online features will likely be sharing/publishing your custom character's assets, clothes and gadgets for others to download and stuff

I do think there will be a coop or competitive 2 player mode in Mania. It could be like Sonic 2 remastered's, but with matchmaking with unknown players.

Mania is a possibility for multiplayer thanks to multiple playable characters but it wouldn't work in Forces due to both Sonic's and the avatar being limited strictly to their own stages/play styles.

I guess you COULD have online multiplayer in Forces by allowing folks to use their custom characters...

But that's why I see a feature like multiplayer absent from Forces, don't think there's a reason for Mania though besides "Don't want to"

Unless Sonic Mania has online versus races like Sonic Rush Adventure, I'd doubt anything else of interest will be there.

Sonic 2's vs mode was awesome, and while I'd understand the absence of split screen, an online multiplayer would totally make sense. 

Online competition mode with race tracks for Mania - would love to have more characters for that ("the boys", metal sonic, eggman, amy...). I bet they're going for Sonic 2 & 3 style.

• The title was changed to Do you think Sonic Forces or Mania will have an online functionality besides online leaderboards?