Awoo.

Anyone else miss "3D"?

knuckles20

1 hour ago, Azure P said:

Just please don't include Amy or Big as a game play style. I replayed Sonic Adventure recently and it reminded me why I liked Sonic Adventure 2 a whole lot more.

That's why Detective Kaito specified "Sonic's story". Alternate gameplay styles aren't even being considered here.

I agree that the Sonic Adventure Sonic style is DEFINITELY worth going back to. It needs to improve and advance for sure, but you can see the basics of a 3D game that follows at least the broad ideas of the classics. It just needs to be advanced and furthered to be even better, but the overall style is closer to bringing the original Sonic gameplay to the third dimension than anything we've had since, from what I can tell. (It may not be super close, of course, but I'm speaking broadly and comparatively here.) Which I agree is awesome and important. I may LOVE 2D Sonic, but there's something about 3D gameplay that's special and can't be replaced.

Trouble is that Sega decided to move farther rather than closer to the classic gameplay principles in the future, which has certainly not always resulted in BAD games, but it's not what I, or anyone else who wants to see the original Sonic gameplay expanded upon rather than discarded, are looking for.

• Thumbs Up 6

29 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

There's nothing wrong with having Amy playable...seriously. Increase her accel and turning ability then there's literally no problem.

Or better yet, make Sonic the only playable character in the story mode. When you're done with the story, you'll unlock Tails, Knuckles, and/or Amy so you can replay all stages with them. Super Mario 3D Land did the same with Luigi and it worked well.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Or better yet, make Sonic the only playable character in the story mode. When you're done with the story, you'll unlock Tails, Knuckles, and/or Amy so you can replay all stages with them. Super Mario 3D Land did the same with Luigi and it worked well.

I prefer Super Mario 3D World style more where most of the characters are unlocked from the start, so I can play as who I want off the bat and skip the rest. Honestly by the time I beat a game... I don't want to replay the exact same game right away but with another character instead that barely plays differently. It's like "I been there and done that already" kinda deal. I'm not the type to replay games a lot except a few of my top faves.

• Thumbs Up 4

To me, the HUGE advantage of Detective Kaito's unlocking suggestion is that it alleviates some of the pressure to make the levels still be challenging with Tails' and Knuckles' (and possibly others') abilities, since they're just bonuses. To me, this is way better than the alternatives of either not including the characters as playable at all or designing whole different gameplay styles for them. I mean, it would be even better if they found a way to make it work with them being playable from the start, because that's the ideal for me too, but since I don't like changing gameplay styles and do like playing Tails and Knux, this is definitely a solution I personally can accept happily.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, one thing is for certain here. All of these suggestions are better than having multiple character campaigns and they all play the same.

2 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I prefer Super Mario 3D World style more where most of the characters are unlocked from the start, so I can play as who I want off the bat and skip the rest. Honestly by the time I beat a game... I don't want to replay the exact same game right away but with another character instead that barely plays differently. It's like "I been there and done that already" kinda deal. I'm not the type to replay games a lot except a few of my top faves.

True, this is an ideal situation just like how the classics work. But the problem is that there can't be a story focusing on Sonic if you can play as any character right from the start, at least in the Modern Sonic style of telling stories. This concept won't work unless SEGA is willing to ditch stories and make them like the classics with barely any cutscenes, but if we give every character their own story (as minimalistic as it is) and make them go through the same stages, we'll end up with something similar to Sonic Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

True, this is an ideal situation just like how the classics work. But the problem is that there can't be a story focusing on Sonic if you can play as any character right from the start, at least in the Modern Sonic style of telling stories. This concept won't work unless SEGA is willing to ditch stories and make them like the classics with barely any cutscenes, but if we give every character their own story (as minimalistic as it is) and make them go through the same stages, we'll end up with something similar to Sonic Heroes.

If we must have only 1 single story mode focusing only on 1 character... Then I say make the story not focus on Sonic himself and instead make the role of the MC in the story more generic so that any hero can fit the part. But I suppose some fans may not like that. But I'd take it if it was the only way.

For me, perfect Sonic game (gameplay wise) would be SA1, only slightly 'cleaned' (like those green homing attack circles from Boost games, so I won't jump to my death). With extra characters either very similar gameplay, just with special quirks ala Mario Bros 2 (like Shadow) or levels changed to fit their unique, yet platform based gameplay ala Shovel Knight (Knuckles is obviously too broken for 3D Sonic stages).

I'm not against the idea of Knuckles treasure hunting or Eggman mech shooting, but Adventure games made those much too shallow. So either put a lot of effort or stick to platforming.

• Thumbs Up 4

Another reason I miss the Adventure games is precisely because of this. IMO, Sonic Adventure had Sonic's traversal of a 3D space the best they've ever managed to get it. He didn't accelerate so fast that navigation becomes a nightmare, and his momentum and physics felt the most up-to-scratch. From Heroes onwards, things get iffy. The boost formula definitely isn't good for 3D, but I feel we're stuck with it until there's a massive restructuring.

just rejoining the fandom, i've never actually played colors/generations/lost world/whatever yet. when i first heard about the 2d sections i was just kind of confused and didn't really know what to say about it. personally, it looks ugly to me lol. like the character models from a 2d perspective just doesn't look right for me.

On 07/27/17 at 2:40 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

(like those green homing attack circles from Boost games, so I won't jump to my death).

This addition was never the solution...the only advantage they actually have is knowing how far the homing attack's range is. Otherwise, not being able to HA off-screen enemies should've been a thing from the beginning.

I never minded 2D sections as long as they struck a good balance and had it complement the boost formula in the way Generations did. The way they've done it in the other Sonic games were in ways which I cannot appreciate. Unleashed had an abundance of automation in some of its 2D sections, Colors had generic 2D platforming though I respect it for its creativity in executing the Wisps, and Forces seems empty and restrictive and like Colors, had way too much 2D.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd argue that SA2 had the best movement system, but I generally agree that yes, if Forces doesn't take the boost gameplay anywhere new, it's time to move on. 

But does anyone here think ST is even capable of this? Their interpretation of Classic Sonic shows how bad they are at resurrecting the past. How many of the Dreamcast-era crew are still around? Iizuka seems to do little to hone the series into any kind of focused or confident creative vision, but then again he did direct SA. It's all very confusing. 

* I guess what I want is a real display of passion. People have all sorts of opinions on Sonic Adventure, but we generally agree that there was a real sense of pride and love going into that game. That to me is the biggest difference between current Sonic and the Sonic of the Attitude Era. The developers weren't just inspired to create something, they knew they needed that inspiration. So what did they do? They packed their bags and headed to the jungles of South America. And while we don't know much of the details about this trip, we know that it wasn't easy. But they did it, in he name of Sonic. I'm not saying they need to toil in the sun like that again to make a great Sonic game, but my issue is that I'm not really convinced that they'd be willing to.

• Thumbs Up 2