Awoo.

Sonic Forces Release Date Possibly Leaked - [Nov 7 2017]

Polkadi~☆

So the Australian site for EB Games may have leaked the release date of Sonic Forces by accident.

WPYEiV2.png

Tuesday, on the 7th of November, 2017.

It's also selling for $60 AUD, which is quite cheap compared to the usual $80 or $90.

And if you don't take my word for it, see it for yourself!

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

I'm going to guess that its a placeholder. If real, its nice its cheaper than normal, but damn is that deadly close to Mario Odyssey. Sonic Forces should be at least two weeks after Mario Odyssey to stand a chance at decent sales. If its $10-$20 cheaper than a AAA game, though, that could help its sales more while still being only a week away from Mario Odyssey. And granted, it is on all platforms while Mario Odyssey is Switch exclusive...

• Thumbs Up 5

Hmmm... didn't shop to also put this up for a cheaper price recently?

18 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Hmmm... didn't shop to also put this up for a cheaper price recently?

Yep, posted it in the pre-order thread I made a few days ago. £30 for PS4/X1 and £35 on Switch, I know Sonic games tend to lower a bit a few months or so after release but this is surprisingly cheap out of the gate!

Have any of these dates ever turned out to be legit? Like, we've been through this before, haven't we? And doesn't it always just turn out to be a placeholder date?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we all knew it would come out in November. Unless something goes horribly wrong during development, which isn't very likely.

• Thumbs Up 1

That means it'd be about $50 USD here, $10 less than standard retail on games. That's good to hear, it means I won't have to spend as much to play it.

Huh. Is there any chance that this price could be real? It seems really cheap. How much was the price for Generations and Lost World?

But if that's real, I'm not complaining. Cheaper games is always a +.

If this is true then that would mean that it's coming out on the same day as the Xbox One X along side: Crackdown 3, Need for Speed Payback , Super Lucky's Tale. 

Assuming that date is real.....good luck with that. They're pitting Forces directly against the exclusive Super Mario Odyssey and Super Lucky's Tale and the multiplatform Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, which will all be aiming for the same market (regarding demographics / genre) Forces is gunning for.

Forces will also have to hold on its own against major general releases coming out around that time such as Assassin's Creed, Wolfenstein, Call of Duty, Need for Speed, Pokemon, and Star Wars.

A big reason why Generations sold less than Colors and was considered to have underperformed in sales by the press was because it was put up against very stiff competition with its November 2011 release month. That November release date looks like Forces is going to be a repeat of that (albeit even worse, given how the market and landscape have changed against Sonic's favor and Forces' divisive pre-release reception).

Edited by Yeow
  • Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Yeow said:

Assuming that date is real.....good luck with that. They're pitting Forces directly against the exclusive Super Mario Odyssey and Super Lucky's Tale and the multiplatform Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, which will all be aiming for the same market (regarding demographics / genre) Forces is gunning for.

Forces will also have to hold on its own against major general releases coming out around that time such as Assassin's Creed, Wolfenstein, Call of Duty, Need for Speed, Pokemon, and Star Wars.

A big reason why Generations sold less than Colors and was considered to have underperformed in sales by the press was because it was put up against very stiff competition with its November 2011 release month. That November release date looks like Forces is going to be a repeat of that (albeit even worse, given how the market and landscape have changed against Sonic's favor and Forces' divisive pre-release reception).

This exactly. November was pretty much guaranteed, but to not be left in the dust it should've AT LEAST been two weeks after Mario Odyssey. Frankly, a December release for Forces probably would have been much, much better than its current position. Holiday titles are typically released before Black Friday. December would be less competition.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic's always released in the face of games like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed. Those mega titles stick to the early Nov release window. Sega has never had the Sonic series shy away from competition in the form of buyers fatigue across genres so there is no reason to expect that they will start now.

Putting it in direct competition with Mario is an odd choice, but understandable in that Sonic is multi-plat. The Early Nov release schedule works for Sonic. When you start messing with that, and running from other titles, it usually is a bad look anyway. If they are confident that their product will sell to the target demographic, then let it fly. Odyssey be darned.

$50 is what I always expected it to be, I'm hoping it'll be more like $40 even though that is wishful thinking.

I'm not sure how Forces will do. People raise a good point that Sonic Forces is going to be in direct competition with Mario Odyssey where its franchise continues to make some of the greatest and most innovative games for its time. That's simply a tough nut to crack since Sonic hasn't been up to snuff lately by continuing to do things that we've seen before and the reception that Forces has received is mixed. Looking at it that way makes it clear which game Switch owners are more likely to get.

In my case, I'll likely get Odyssey and wait a few weeks before getting Forces if the release date is real.

Sounds pretty likely to me. That pretty much falls in line with the same timeframe as all of the other major Sonic Team console releases since 2006.

Also, if I remember correctly, almost all of the recent Sonic Team games (going back to Unleashed I think) have been slightly below the standard “AAA game” price ($50 USD instead of $60), so that shouldn’t be surprising either.

And yeah, there is definitely going to be some tough competition with this, so it’s hard to predict what sales are going to be like.

The game is probably going to be given a cheaper price because of all the negativity surrounding it.

If they know folks aren't going to pay $60 because it looks like a bad product with a ton of bad publicity from critics AND consumers alike, they have to lower it so folks will still buy it even if they think it's crap.

• Thumbs Up 1

So this game could be sold at the same price as Crash N. Sane Trilogy? Huh. Guess I might be getting the game earlier than I thought.

4 hours ago, mikeblastdude said:

almost all of the recent Sonic Team games (going back to Unleashed I think) have been slightly below the standard “AAA game” price ($50 USD instead of $60), so that shouldn’t be surprising either.

That doesn't sound quite right. It might just be the general lower price of WiiU games in comparison to the PS4/XB1 titles. Lost World and Colors were naturally priced lower in comparison to what gamers who focused on the HD consoles would be used to. I can't recall Unleashed or Generations coming in lower than the max price point.

It is odd that more than one retailer has signaled a lower price point for Forces...

Oh, the release date has been changed to TBC 2017 now.

The secret is out, folks.

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

That doesn't sound quite right. It might just be the general lower price of WiiU games in comparison to the PS4/XB1 titles. Lost World and Colors were naturally priced lower in comparison to what gamers who focused on the HD consoles would be used to. I can't recall Unleashed or Generations coming in lower than the max price point.

It is odd that more than one retailer has signaled a lower price point for Forces...

Bad Game = Cheap Price

Only reason I could think of beyond pre-release deals but some deals seem too steep, making me think it's the first option.

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Bad Game = Cheap Price

Only reason I could think of beyond pre-release deals but some deals seem too steep, making me think it's the first option.

So I guess this also counts for all those 40 dollar 3DS games then?

No but seriously, it probably has a lot to do with content in the game, if the game really is 40 bucks its more than likely an indication of how long/content rich it is rather than for its quality.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, MegasonicZX said:

So I guess this also counts for all those 40 dollar 3DS games then?

No but seriously, it probably has a lot to do with content in the game, if the game really is 40 bucks its more than likely an indication of how long/content rich it is rather than for its quality.

I've been satisfied with 3DS titles by and large so I see that as okay, but folks thoughts will differ, same as with this.

If the $40 tag is a sign of the content amount in the game, that's something to worry about too.