Awoo.

*Spoilers* Zone Possibly Confirmed For Sonic Mania

Zippo

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=35709&st=6375

It looks like we may have accidental confirmation that Hydrocity is in Sonic Mania. 

DF2-cBYXYAEvQOS.png

Thanks to Sonic Retro user Dark Sonic, he noticed that Midio, one of the pixel artists for Sonic Mania, posted 3 Images of the three playable characters running through three environments on his Twitter account. Sonic in Green Hill. Tails in Chemical Plant, and according to him, Knuckles in Hydrocity. He was not able to capture a screenshot in time, though.  It was allegedly quickly taken down and replaced with art of Knuckles running through Flying Battery instead. 

Edit: Tweet has been found. 

G75MB4M_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I'm not surprised, as it looks as there wasn't any other Sonic 3 option left, going by what we know. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Considering that ice cap might be out due to the new japan/cathedral place likely being a snow/ice zone, and every other sonic 3 zones gimmicks, enemies, are in another zone or cant be used due to music issues, and thanks to this new info, it is most likely going to be Hydrocity

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I honestly thought Sonic 3 levels were somehow off-limits...

Mostly that was due to assuming because of hte music being compsed by MJ....Hydrocity's theme is not...therefore itd make sense.

But if this IS true id be OVER THE FUCKING MOON OH MY GOD MY FAVORITE SONIC STAGE OF ALL TIME IN MAINA LETS GOOOO

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I honestly thought Sonic 3 levels were somehow off-limits...

Taxman confirmed months ago that both halves of 3&K would get representation.

And considering the only other two Zones from 3 that we know for sure Sega owns the music to are Angel Island and Marble Garden, this seems like the obvious choice.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

These pictures look more like achievement icons.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would be very pleased if this were true.

Also, yeah, those icons look awesome. They definitely look like they could be for achievements, or possibly for a competition mode or something.

I tell you what, it's insane that we're so close to release. This zone mystery could finally be cleared up as soon as the end of this week, for all we know. If not this week, next week for sure. The game will start to go to well connected sources and reviewers very, very soon. 

• Nice Smile 1

It's very interesting, and it does seem to indicate that Hydrocity is a distinct possibility over the other zones for Sonic 3 representation.

Looking at the Retro forums was also enlightening as far as the users speculating on the new Steam file size for the game too in the same conversation, breaking it down and wondering if including the remasters for Sonic, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD was that far fetched, especially if the double up opening and ending cut scenes in the Sonic CD remaster were instead changed to just one set with two audio tracks synced up instead to lower the space required.

Its ramping up now, basically two weeks until release..can't wait to get it in my grabby hands.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Tenko said:

It's very interesting, and it does seem to indicate that Hydrocity is a distinct possibility over the other zones for Sonic 3 representation.

Looking at the Retro forums was also enlightening as far as the users speculating on the new Steam file size for the game too in the same conversation, breaking it down and wondering if including the remasters for Sonic, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD was that far fetched, especially if the double up opening and ending cut scenes in the Sonic CD remaster were instead changed to just one set with two audio tracks synced up instead to lower the space required.

Its ramping up now, basically two weeks until release..can't wait to get it in my grabby hands.

It's not implausible that the Sonic 1&2 remasters could be included in Mania or brought to current-gen as a separate collection, but it would still require additional development time.

What I do find strange and slightly suspicious is that Sonic CD was removed from PSN and android (Google play) quite a while back and still hasn't been added back. Are they updating it to include playable Knuckles as an unlockable in Sonic Mania? Highly unlikely, but you never know.

It was mentioned that the original Sonic was 33.4MB, Sonic 2 was 44MB, and Sonic CD was 192MB, which gives a grand total of 269MB. However if you removed the double up media files for the opening and ending cut scenes it would shave roughly 100MB from it's file size bringing it down to 92MB round-a-bout changing the total to 169MB for all three remastered games.

With Sonic Mania being roughly 400MB according to Steam that would still leave 230MB for Sonic Mania if it did have the games included. Even that is a far bigger file size than the previous games, even bigger than Sonic CD's with the lazy double up of video media and its double soundtrack etc. It's even been noted that the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast with it's 3D special stages didn't take up that much space once the video files etc were removed, a measly 57MB minus all the CDDA stuff, so even the newly announced 3D Saturn'ish special stages wouldn't boost it's file size by that much.

Its an exciting prospect, it really would be Mania if it had all the remasters included. Im trying to not get my hopes up, as I would think they would announce something like that to help sell the game (not that it needs it) but it could also be a hidden bonus or unlockable.

All that aside tho, I am pleased about Hydrocity, it was a level requested as DLC for Generations and Taxman/Stealth being from the community would have a good grasp on the popularity of certain zones and would know how the community would react to certain information etc having been outside fans with ears on the ground for so long. I really can't wait to see what secrets and hidden Easter eggs etc Mania holds!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

since hydro city is my absolute favourite out of all the classic games, i would be more then pleased by that. so far all the reimagined zones are great choices, now if they would double dip and include mystic cave zone I'd be perfectly fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Replacing the original image without acknowledgement definitely seems like a smoking gun (as opposed to, say, Hydrocity not being in and the image having been gotten rid of so as not to mislead - which seems like it would have been admitted).  Hydrocity has always been a good pick, too; a strong Sonic 3 entry that manages to stand out from previous attempts at the "water labyrinth" trope - which it can now also embrace by borrowing their gimmicks and layout elements, too.  I'm excited to see what a Mania version of Hydrocity could surprise us with.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Based on the concept art for the winter level were getting, there's a good chance that whatever level we get with that theme will be an original design. That's fine with me. I'm just glad we're getting Hydrocity. Ice Cap was a fun level, but it really didn't have too many memorable set pieces in my opinion not including the first act's snowboarding section, which I hope can somehow make a return in one of Mania's levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really wanted Hydrocity in Generations, so this would be pretty awesome. As long as they don't base it too much off Labyrinth zone. Hydrocity's original incarnation was clearly inspired by Labyrinth but took a different spin, and Mania's zones seem to be doing this too, so I'm not worried. But we need the speed man.

Chemical Plant, Stardust Speedway, Hydrocity... they're really picking all the fast zones aren't they?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Tee Lopes' Hidrocity remix.

Tee. Lopes'. Hidrocity. Remix.

Tee. Hidrocity. Remix.

TWO HIDROCITY REMIXES BY TEE LOPES.

BPw7TG_CEAA7RGt.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

This was one of the choices I hoped they'd go with. Assuming this is true then I'm very happy. 

Given we seem to be an all new ice level too, might be the one to overthrow Ice Cap ;) 

I hope it's still in. It's honestly the best Genesis water level.

Spoiler

I don't care much for the music though.

I had hoped for Ice Cap, but Hydrocity was always a fine choice and the more likely given the ostensible music issues. Hopefully we do get a new ice level as the concept art suggests.

So far the known Classic levels have been of the speedy variety. I can't wait to see what other levels they chose. Less than two weeks to go!