Awoo.

IDW Sonic Comic: Who do you want to see new or old

Meta77

Really, I just want new things. We get thrown so much nostalgia bones for the last decade that anything would be acceptable. Also the MAIN characters changing throughout the story. Not too stuck on status quo. Though, I guess it depends how they do it. It may be a comedy for all I know. But, yeah. I just want to see what IDW can do with Sonic. Not to copy anyone else.

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly forget Cream exists half the time until people mention her name or she pops up in a comic issue or a game.

She was supposed to be Amy's Tails but she kind of fell by the wayside.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

It's OK for people to not like the idea of bringing back a character they don't like even if you change them significantly. Many people are of the opinion that Chris doesn't have a whole lot of redeeming value, so if you brought him back and made him good, you would be changing him so much there would be no point of it being him other than to remind them of a hated character. And some people don't like the very concept of the character even with the modifications you suggested.

I'm fine with people disagreeing with me. I'm not fine with their reasons. Plus, you're all assuming the only way of going about a reworking of his character would be a significant change up to the point of him being unrecognizable from his initial characterization. And if he was rewritten in a way that made him more popular, the initial premise about his previous characterization falls flat. Truthfully, none of you want to accept the very plausible possibility so you just focus on what you already don't like about him and make it seem like it's impossible to move on.

I know a handful of people disliked Amy for her stalker, possessiveness. These days, she's practically an entirely different person. It's a lot more common to see positive reception of her.

I'm in favor of bringing back the Freedom Fighters, the Egg Bosses, Breezie and the S6, Gold, Von Schlemmer, and Nigel Acorn, Ellidy, and Uncle Chuck  as far as the more ambiguous selection go.

Scrapped game characters would be nice as well, but they're in a stronger placement by comparison (even if they might not appear).

Honestly, what I want is a format of appearances based on context and not on the so-called "Main Four" who show up just because people expect them. That was one of the better aspects of Archie as characters like Knuckles didn't just skimp out on guarding the Master Emerald without a strong reason forcing him to (and I'm not talking about the cop out "Eggman is threatening the world" excuse people make as a dog whistle to ignore all of this) and often minded his own business, and Silver actually had more room to maneuver in his appearances due to events making holes in time-space. And if we want to make things more balanced, we could rotate the character's appearances so that it makes sense for them being involved as well as giving more dynamic interactions between characters that haven't associated with each other much or at all, like Shadow, Blaze, and Marie, or Amy, Cream, and Blaze with Team Dark.

• Thumbs Up 9

If this is really a new book with a new direction, there is no way the Archie characters are showing up, and the Freedom Fighters may actually be the reason the original book was cancelled.

3 hours ago, Chameleon94 said:

If this is really a new book with a new direction, there is no way the Archie characters are showing up, and the Freedom Fighters may actually be the reason the original book was cancelled.

One can always hope, though?

Isn't this topic for telling about who you'd want to see?

I have my ideals, others have theirs. I rather dig the idea Conquering Storm's Servant has in their post.

And new direction can mean many things, you know... we don't know what they mean with it yet, at least I don't know, one can always speculate, though...

I just want fun and interesting stories that don't make me feel as though I need to have read any backlog material in order to understand what is going one.

• Thumbs Up 4

28 minutes ago, BonkersTheAutomaton said:

I just want fun and interesting stories that don't make me feel as though I need to have read any backlog material in order to understand what is going one.

This. I don't really want more adaptions of the same game stories. They've already attempted it and it is usually never as good as the original. I hope all of these stories are original and fun.

• Nice Smile 1

5 hours ago, Chameleon94 said:

Haven't we already been through why the original book was cancelled and found out that they weren't the reason as opposed to Archie's own fumbles?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

5 hours ago, Chameleon94 said:

This is more of a who you'd like to see regardless of they show up.  only ff I would care to see are Sally.....maybe....nicole....ehhhhh....thats all hahabut

Got to have breezie I love her hair look. And I'd prefer a mix of dark story and humor. By dark I mean eggman actually does something and not be to big a joke

35 minutes ago, Sgt Jack V said:

CAUTION: THE FOLLOWING TEXT HAS BEEN SPOILERED FOR YOUR CONVIENIENCE

Reveal hidden contents

Freedom Fighters OR ELSE.

Lol You silly goose.:lol:

5 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Haven't we already been through why the original book was cancelled and found out that they weren't the reason as opposed to Archie's own fumbles?

Uh, no? We haven't been told jack all, so all any speculation on why it was ended is is pure theory. 

I've given up almost all hope on everybody. But since her last game appearance was 2010, I'd like to see Honey return.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Uh, no? We haven't been told jack all, so all any speculation on why it was ended is is pure theory. 

I'm pretty sure the writing is on the walls given Archie's mismanagement of everything starting with the Penders fiasco.

That's still a farcry from making the FF a scapegoat over the matter.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I'm pretty sure the writing is on the walls given Archie's mismanagement of everything starting with the Penders fiasco.

That's still a farcry from making the FF a scapegoat over the matter.

That still doesn't mean we can definitely say that Archie's thing was the cause, nor does it mean it can't have more than one factor playing into it. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

That still doesn't mean we can definitely say that Archie's thing was the cause, nor does it mean it can't have more than one factor playing into it. 

Okay, now you're just changing the subject I was refuting.

Regardless of whatever the case was, the FF weren't the main factor in the comic's cancellation. This is the usual fandom habit of finding a scapegoat to blame when something goes wrong.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Okay, now you're just changing the subject I was refuting.

Regardless of whatever the case was, the FF weren't the main factor in the comic's cancellation.

You tried to refute it by saying "It wasn't them, it was this" and I'm just saying we don't know what it was. For all we know, the FFs could have been the main factor. It's very unlikely, but again, nothing is concrete as to the reasoning for SEGA's change. 

5 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

You tried to refute it by saying "It wasn't them, it was this" and I'm just saying we don't know what it was. For all we know, the FFs could have been the main factor. It's very unlikely, but again, nothing is concrete as to the reasoning for SEGA's change. 

Given the events prior to this point, it seems pretty concrete over what is and isn't a strong factor, and they're just not coming out and saying it for the sake of damage control.

Either way, as far as I'm concerned, jumping straight to the conclusion of blaming the FF as opposed to the fumbles by Archie (and that's regardless of whatever is the actual cause) is the usual fandom scapegoating. 

• Thumbs Up 2

My biggest wish list would be to have the Freedom Fighters back, and a bit of the extended Satam cast thrown in as well (Lupe, Dulcy ect.). To me, the comics just wouldn't feel right without their expanded scope. They are characters you can use in a bunch of creative ways. Comics need that kind of flexibility.

After them, some of the extended game cast that Flynn started re-purposing late in his Archie run would be great to see. Honey is a fan favorite waiting to happen, Tikal serving as a spiritual guide is awesome an appropriate. and Nack serves to help fill the gap for animal antagonist. They are safer bets, and can be thrown into a story without much fuss.

Finally, as much as I like the Egg Bosses (its a dang shame we lost the Archie book before getting deeper into that lot) I honestly wouldn't want to see them included unless we get Flynn back in the writers chair. As much as it pains me to let them go, I have to give whoever has the pen over at IDW a chance to create their own stories and you can't effectively do that if you are stuck catering to the partial backstories of a bunch of characters. So the bosses make my short list, but they get an *.

But Sally, Bunnie, Nicole, Antoine and Rotor? I'm not ready to live in a world where I can't get my fix of those guys.

• Thumbs Up 2

There is a simple reason why FF couldn't be a reason for comic's cancellation: they weren't removed in 252. If someone wanted them gone, they would be gone.

As for IDW I have only one important wish: have ambition. Have continuity, have new characters, explore new concepts. Be more than a glorified add for games and nostalgia trap.

It would be nice to give more focus to Shadow, bring Archie characters, hire Yardley, Evans & Skelly, etc. But as long as the point above is met, I'll probably be satisfied.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2