Awoo.

Nakamura interview on Sonic Forces' premise, decisions for playable characters, porting to the Switch, and more

The Deleter

I could theoretically say that this descision was practical and due to budget reasons, with them literally ripping Classic from Generations's code due to the resources expended on the custom character, which didn't allow proper style development. They likely had a choice between this or the Werehog. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Miru the Living Planet said:

I could theoretically say that this descision was practical and due to budget reasons, with them literally ripping Classic from Generations's code due to the resources expended on the custom character, which didn't allow proper style development. They likely had a choice between this or the Werehog. 

But then why have a third gameplay style at all?

I would've taken the werehog in a heartbeat.

At least it was interesting and would be part apart of Modern Sonic therefore wouldn't technically take up a character slot. 

Gameplay maybe sure....

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

But then why have a third gameplay style at all?

Padding, maybe? Or to try and expand the story? 

Just now, Miru the Living Planet said:

Padding, maybe? Or to try and expand the story? 

I guess that would make sense

Not to mention, this is Shun Nakamura we're talking about, the Lead Designer, Co-Writer and Director of Sonic 06, it's not like he has proven that he's capable of being the head of a big Sonic project.

...So because he was behind 06 you'd think we'd get a more Adventure styled gameplay for Forces which would've fitted this game such more better.

But, since apparently more people wanted Boost and this is a better direction, guess they just went screw it I guess.

Keep in mind, that I didn't even hate 06 that much, the darker tone Forces will have and Infinite are probably the only 06-ish elements this game has.

Kinda gets ridiculous when this game so far has pretty opposite ideas from 06 such as the cast being  unplayable and such.

I honestly would've expected an improvement from Nakamura if not for these decisions.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, pppp said:

Not to mention, this is Shun Nakamura we're talking about, the Lead Designer, Co-Writer and Director of Sonic 06, it's not like he has proven that he's capable of being the head of a big Sonic project.

To be fair 06 wasn't entirely his fault there was circumstances surrounding that game that went beyond his control so I'm not gonna harp on him with that. 

• Thumbs Up 9

Here's my opinion on this article:

The one thing I don't like about this game is Classic Sonic. He has NO reason to be here.

The stort will most probably find a way to explain it, but... did we really need him?

If they wanted the Avatar mechanic, did they need to add Classic too? He got his own game.

And how did they look at all these characters and said... let's go with Classic Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, pppp said:

I don't believe the "I decided to pick Classic Sonic" statement for a second.

What actually happened was, making the game marketable to mass audiences was more important to SEGA than actually appealing to Sonic fans, and Classic Sonic is viewed by gaming masses and critics as the only good way to make Sonic games, so Classic Sonic has to be in there no matter what.

Not really when Mania exists. It just comes off redundant and the laziness is apparent when a classic sonic that plays like classic sonic is releasing as well 

9 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

To be fair 06 wasn't entirely his fault there was circumstances surrounding that game that went beyond his control so I'm not gonna harp on him with that. 

While it is true that he wasn't the only culprit, he still helped Maekawa and Yoshimura write that atrocity of a story and like Clement said in his review, maybe if he managed the game's content better(Delete hard modes, multiplayer, town missions, hub worlds and pointless Tails Wave Ocean to focus on the main campaign) he could have polished the game better and tightened its focus.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, pppp said:

What actually happened was, making the game marketable to mass audiences was more important to SEGA than actually appealing to Sonic fans, and Classic Sonic is viewed by gaming masses and critics as the only good way to make Sonic games, so Classic Sonic has to be in there no matter what.

Yeah I have to agree with this. No way Classic Sonic is going away after Sonic Generations. He'll show up EVERYWHERE every year from now on because matter of fact, Classic Sonic gains more sales than Modern Sonic every day of the week. 

59 minutes ago, pppp said:

I don't believe the "I decided to pick Classic Sonic" statement for a second.

Oh dear, I hope the statement about him choosing classic voluntarily isn't true. 

Woah, woah, hold up now. You mean to tell me that Sonic forces lacks a clear understanding of gameplay and proper direction?

Mildshock.gif

"If only there was some way we could've seen this coming" this user said sarcastically.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 5

So can we just point out that they said that one of the big problems that they had wit the game was developing it for the Switch? I know it's nothing new since gameplay previews and impressions have pointed out that the Switch version has a lot of issues but it's pretty obvious that this is a sign of things to come. 

As for Classic Sonic this is just stupid no way of sugar coating it. It means that Sonic Team is doing whatever the hell they want and running wild with it because they can get away with it. This game is going to be such a clusterfuck it's glorious. 

When wondering who should be made playable among the heroes, he came up with Classic Sonic.

This is the definition of "bullshitting a proper reason because we really didn't have one/the real reason is NDA'd to shit"

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1

For the story, Nakamura wanted to depict heroes that would feel like Sonic. He hopes that by controlling different characters, he can show a story that extends to explaining the world setting as well. The story concept has been “Hero Army vs. Eggman’s Army” from the start. When wondering who should be made playable among the heroes, he came up with Classic Sonic.

tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

I'm sorry, just what? I get you guys wanted heroes that "would feel like Sonic," but choosing Classic Sonic is just a cop out. And you mean to tell me that other characters were in consideration, but you went with the one who is technically already playable again?

I know that when the first game play trailers were revealed I was white knighting a bit on Sonic Team's behalf but give me a break, even I can see just how retarded some of these choices are. I'm still expecting the game to turn out fine, but it certainly seems we're getting a lesser experience than we could have.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think this is topping the bullshit meter more than Nintendo's "Link's a man cause if he was a girl that'd mess with the triforce" cop out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also lets not sleep on this

Nakamura said they did so because if they just show Eggman saying “I have conquered most of the world,” it wouldn’t seem convincing enough

Way to undermine your own villain guys, thanks for asserting his incompetancy despite making him the main threat for three games in a row lmaoooooo

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

Also lets not sleep on this

Way to undermine your own villain guys, thanks for asserting his incompetancy despite making him the main threat for three games in a row lmaoooooo

That's all they really done with Eggman the past few years: Assert him as being the big bad despite the game usually only showing him as incompetent for the majority of the game until the very end.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol, even the developers said Eggman isn't competent enough to take over the world on his own. HAHAHAHA, that's great. They literally just justified Sonic's attitude towards him lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, KHCast said:

Not really when Mania exists. It just comes off redundant and the laziness is apparent when a classic sonic that plays like classic sonic is releasing as well 

I don't entirely disagree with your point, but Mania didn't exist until 2015, two years after Forces started development (according to Iizuka, at least). I highly doubt Sonic Team are the kind of people to just throw out the work they did for classic Sonic once a sister game featuring him was greenlit.

So yeah, now his inclusion comes off as pointless and redundant, but at the time I'm sure they thought it was a smart (albeit incredibly safe) move once Sonic's reputation began to falter again after Lost World and Rise of Lyric. Maybe they still do despite Mania's existence.

Of course, this is all assuming that Forces has actually been in development for around four years, which is something I'm starting to doubt. I'll wait until more of the game is revealed to judge, but as of now I'm not exactly seeing anything that screams it needed more development time than the standard Sonic title. 

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Nice Smile 1

18 minutes ago, Clewis said:

I don't entirely disagree with your point, but Mania didn't exist until 2015, two years after Forces started development (according to Iizuka, atleast). I highly doubt Sonic Team are the kind of people to just throw out the work they did for classic Sonic once a sister game featuring him was greenlit.

So yeah, now his inclusion comes off as pointless and redundant, but at the time I'm sure they thought it was a smart (albeit incredibly safe) move once Sonic's reputation began to falter again after Lost World and Rise of Lyric. Maybe they still do despite Mania's existence.

Of course, this is all assuming that Forces has actually been in development for around four years, which is something I'm starting to doubt. I'll wait until more of the game is revealed, but as of now I'm not exactly seeing anything that screams it needed more development time than the standard Sonic title. 

Still, you'd think by 2015, they'd have some improvements to the classic formula vs do literally nothing but shit with it, especially since by 2015, Mania was a thing, so they had time to go back and make some fixes to better correlate with how Mania functioned. It comes off like Classic was a last second inclusion.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Well, they did include the drop dash, as opposed to fixing anything else.  Possibly they already had a certain amount of the level design in place by then, and didn't want to have to redo it all for tweaks to the physics, whereas the drop dash they could justify as essentially a shortcut move that didn't really change how the levels needed to be designed...

This all goes in line, of course, with the theory that Sonic Forces was originally a big anniversary crossover title between Modern, Classic, and Boom Sonic; hence this nonsense about Classic being from another dimension, because that made more sense when they had a third playable Sonic with a similar background.  They had the physics all in place for Modern and Classic straight from Generations, and for Boom they coded in an Enerbeam-grappling high-speed gadgeteer, and as a celebratory anniversary crossover they rounded up a bunch of old big-name villains for nostalgic purposes.  In this light, Infinite is really just Time Eater Version 2.  When Boom went belly-up, they quietly delayed the game but couldn't waste all the work they'd done coding physics and levels for someone who played like Boom Sonic.  Needing a generic character to take his place, they invented... a generic character, effectively throwing up their hands and asking the fans to fill in the gaps.  More and more, it all lines up.

Would also also explain why none of the species have any noteworthy abilities besides really boring passives.

• Thumbs Up 4