Awoo.

Nakamura interview on Sonic Forces' premise, decisions for playable characters, porting to the Switch, and more

The Deleter

46 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

At this point, all of this is just depressing. Either they're really stupid or they're lying. One thing for sure, Classic Sonic won't be returning to any more Main Series games after all the backlash he's gotten over the past year.

Nor the Wisps. It's possible the wisps won't show up again at all if the backlash continues.

Just now, Miru the Living Planet said:

Nor the Wisps. It's possible the wisps won't show up again at all if the backlash continues.

I really doubt that. They've been receiving backlash for years and years. Sonic Team wants the Wisps to be what Mushrooms, Fire Flowers, etc. are to Mario. Sonic already had other power ups like the elemental shields, but these aren't as iconic or marketable as Mario's Mushrooms or Fire Flowers.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Detective Kaito said:

I really doubt that. They've been receiving backlash for years and years. Sonic Team wants the Wisps to be what Mushrooms, Fire Flowers, etc. are to Mario. Sonic already had other power ups like the elemental shields, but these aren't as iconic or marketable as Mario's Mushrooms or Fire Flowers.

But if it continues for long enough, will they finally be dropped?

8 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

But if it continues for long enough, will they finally be dropped?

I don't know. People have been asking for playable characters other than Sonic in Main Series games for almost a decade now and we still don't have that (you could count the Avatar if you want, I really don't), and Sonic Team still doesn't want to do it. They can be stubborn and unpredictable, so I really don't know.

This is why we're not seeing any more of the game aside from Park Avenue and Green Hill. Nobody at the company cares, they know their game is not worth promoting, basically let's just do whatever and see what happens, nobody likes 3D Sonic games anyway, so no point in trying to make it good. As long as we get our paychecks it's cool, no other company will hire us since we wouldn't be good enough assets for them. If SEGA wants to achieve their goal of becoming great again, then how come these old, tired and unmotivated old men are still in there?

If i read a lot of the post about 3d games from some on here I wouldn't care either. But what if they want to wait for tgs you don't toss a book out giving away your entire games levels

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

At this point, all of this is just depressing. Either they're really stupid or they're lying. One thing for sure, Classic Sonic won't be returning to any more Main Series games after all the backlash he's gotten over the past year.

That's saying a bit much. All it simply means is that they're most focused on a specific demographic than what any of us want.

2 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

If i read a lot of the post about 3d games from some on here I wouldn't care either.

Excuse me if some us have standards and won't just eat up anything Sonic Team makes.

Maybe if they made a game with the passion and effort being shown in Mania we wouldn't be negative about Forces, have you thought of that?

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, pppp said:

This is why we're not seeing any more of the game aside from Park Avenue and Green Hill. Nobody at the company cares, they know their game is not worth promoting, basically let's just do whatever and see what happens, nobody likes 3D Sonic games anyway, so no point in trying to make it good. As long as we get our paychecks it's cool, no other company will hire us since we wouldn't be good enough assets for them. If SEGA wants to achieve their goal of becoming great again, then how come these old, tired and unmotivated old men are still in there?

Or you know maybe it's because Sonic Mania is coming out in a few days and want to focus all their attention on that and with Gamescon at the end of the month why show stuff now?  Don't get me wrong I am seeing only Green Hill Zone and the burnt city level but if we don't see anything by the end of August then it'll be time to worry. 

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

If i read a lot of the post about 3d games from some on here I wouldn't care either.

As someone who does read a lot of posts about 3D games from people here, I often find myself wishing I had the skills/resources/dedication to make games to prove people wrong. If there was any amount of actual passion at Sonic Team I would expect to see a genuine desire to make better games and for criticism to fire them up.

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, pppp said:

This is why we're not seeing any more of the game aside from Park Avenue and Green Hill. Nobody at the company cares, they know their game is not worth promoting, basically let's just do whatever and see what happens, nobody likes 3D Sonic games anyway, so no point in trying to make it good.

Or perhaps it's because there is another Sonic game coming out this year and they would rather dump a lot of information about Forces after Mania is already out.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Hottub said:

Or perhaps it's because there is another Sonic game coming out this year and they would rather dump a lot of information about Forces after Mania is already out.

Promoting Forces in no way harms Mania's sales, that's ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, pppp said:

Actually it does. I've seen plenty on YouTube saying there more excited for forces than mania. Now if forces had not been announced yet than it be mania 247 but tgwrw trying to balance the two

Just now, Meta77 said:

Actually it does. I've seen plenty on YouTube saying there more excited for forces than mania. Now if forces had not been announced yet than it be mania 247 but tgwrw trying to balance the two

Examples? Sonic fan youtubers seem to be excited for both, non fans seem to care mostly about Mania, some only Mania.

46 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

That's saying a bit much. All it simply means is that they're most focused on a specific demographic than what any of us want.

I don't think this is this, for a few reasons. But to keep this focus, I've been " not the demo for a lot of things" hell, that's how I feel everytime a new transformers movie comes out. It happens, sometimes it sucks more than other times such is the nature of being interested in things put out by businesses. This isn't that, because this isn't for a new or defined demo, this has a bunch of shit that is suppoused to appeal to almost every sonic demographic in existence, poorly. This isn't for " not us" it is, but its also for everyone else, and its not doing any of those things well.

I'll be the first one to say that almost no company is out to get me or any one person, personally. That's a very warped view of the world , however that doesn't exclude them from saying dumb things or lying. Do I think this this is dumb or a lie, I think its both. But we'll figure out whatever it is when the game comes out. 

Its not looking great however

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, pppp said:

I'm not studying any sort of marketing, so I might be talking out of my ass, but I think this seems more logical that a company wants to push the product that comes out very soon to get more potential sales, then after release go full on with another product, no? 

Earlier it was easier to balance that out, but now it would be really weird to promote Forces, when the hype train is already full force for Mania.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

I'm not studying any sort of marketing, so I might be talking out of my ass, but I think this seems more logical that a company wants to push the product that comes out very soon to get more potential sales, then after release go full on with another product, no? 

Earlier it was easier to balance that out, but now it would be really weird to promote Forces, when the hype train is already full force for Mania.

By that logic Level-5 would make no money, they make multiple IPs and market them heavily and simoultaneously and they get by just fine.

2 minutes ago, pppp said:

By that logic Level-5 would make no money, they make multiple IPs and market them heavily and simoultaneously and they get by just fine.

And here's the difference. Level-5 market multiple IPs. Sonic Mania and Forces are under one franchise/IP. I didn't specify that, but my point still stands.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, pppp said:

Think of it like they announced 2 Layton games coming out this year and when the first game is near it's release they just focus on the one coming out on a later date which might kill any interest in getting the first game. 

The truth is that the game comes out in like 4 months and so far as far as I can tell the game only has 2 zones.

I fail to see how this marketing tactic is supposed to make me interested in the game.

4 minutes ago, pppp said:

The truth is that the game comes out in like 4 months and so far as far as I can tell the game only has 2 zones.

I fail to see how this marketing tactic is supposed to make me interested in the game.

You know 3-4 months is enough to show more of the game and promote it, right?

Just now, Bobnik said:

You know 3-4 months is enough to show more of the game and promote it, right?

I've never seen a company wait till so close to release though, If their plan is to just market it non stop during 3 months then I don't really like that either, I think marketing needs to be done more cleverly than that.

Just now, pppp said:

I've never seen a company wait till so close to release though, If their plan is to just market it non stop during 3 months then I don't really like that either, I think marketing needs to be done more cleverly than that.

Ubisoft is literally doing that right now. 

3.jpg

4 minutes ago, pppp said:

It's actually more common than you think nowadays. Ubisoft are doing that, as stated above, Nintendo does that for several games. Hell, iirc we a major reveal recently for Mania and the promotion has been much more prevalent for the last month or 2 with OST releases, a panel, etc.

Just now, Bobnik said:

It's actually more common than you think nowadays. Ubisoft are doing that, as stated above, Nintendo does that for several games. Hell, iirc we a major reveal recently for Mania and the promotion has been much more prevalent for the last month or 2 with OST releases, a panel, etc.

But Mania showed us more than 2 zones way before Forces did. Mario Odyssey's reveal trailer showed us a good number of different worlds, Why can't Forces actually tell me what levels can I expect? There is such a thing as getting bored with something. I can't care if they don't give me more than 2 reasons. I'm tired of not being shown anything. Yes Generations showed us too much, but that doesn't mean we need to do the exact opposite.