BonkersTheAutomaton

Advice for getting back into YuGiOh?

So I remember playing YuGiOh a lot when I was a Kid.  It mostly started in Primary school and summer school where I even had the fortune to have a shiny Summon Skull that I got from a booster.  Which to my stupid 7 year old self I ended up trading for a shiny Scape Goat (I will never forget that day where I made that mistake).  When Secondary school came round, like most people it was time to grow up and be into more "mature" things, and by mature I mean "I have absolutely no idea and come to think of it, secondary school was stupid in that regard".  However during year 10 I believe I got back into the card game thanks to a few people I was friends with at the time.  It was a bit cringe worthy though if I'm honest since one of us was a full blown Weaboo who every time we played a match would always act as though he was in the first generation anime, with the expressive hand gestures and over the top characterizations of playing cards.  Sadly as most people out there, once I left secondary school it was time for college and from this point on all forms of YuGiOh or pretty much any card game for that matter was lost on me.  After leaving college I got into Magic the Gathering for a good long while but eventually stop playing because I didn't enjoy the whole pay-to-win aspect of it (even though I know it isn't pay to win, but I could imagine most MTG players out there have a slight understanding as to what I referring to).  More or less MTG just became too expensive for me to want to keep investing into especially since I wasn't seeing progress with my decks.

But anyway I feel as though I am getting a little off topic slightly.  Basically, I would like to get into YuGiOh again but my only question is how?  My local game shop I think those a YuGiOh night everyweek, but just like I wrote before with that one friend in secondary school, the posts this guy who runs the YuGiOh side of it puts on facebook seem a little cringey if I'm honest, putting post just saying "Time to Duel" and such.  So I'm not sure if I'm willing to go to that sort of event if that is the type people that are going to be there.  I also here that the Steam game YuGiOh: Lagacy of the Duelist is now really out of date and that nobody plays it.

Forgive just sounds as though I'm being a bit of a douche with everything I just wrote.  But I mostly just wanted to hear what you guys would have to say.

I highly suggest to go find and download YGOPRO... or one of the other fan-made yugioh card games on PC. YGOPRO has nearly all the cards up to date, including new cards from japan, and you can play against players or a A.I. bot. Personally I don't feel the need to play Yugioh IRL anymore... and that's saying something because I've been into the game since 2001.

I suggest playing Yugioh Duel Links. It has alot of the old school cards plus a lot of modern ones. It only features fusion and ritual summons though so no other advanced methods to get into. 

I left the series long ago too. When synchros came out I left. But thanks to @Princess Jellicentshowing me Arc-V. I got back in, learned how to pendulum summon, and got some XYZ monsters added to my deck strategy. Plus I've added more cards from Dark side of dimensions into my deck.

I'm glad you are trying to get back into the game.

I second Duel Links

About 8 months ago or so I got the same feels where I wanted to get into Yugioh. The only tie I had to it back in the day was that PS1 game Forbidden Memories (which plays by it's own rules anyway), watching the show once a blue moon, and about handful of random Yugioh cards. Anyway I never really learned legit Yugioh rules and also didn't really care about playing legitimate Yugioh, so I set out to find a video game that wouldn't be too crazy to get into. I first got the Steam game Legacy of the Duelist which lets you play through the anime stories of each arc. Which is neat because you can cherry pick which ones you're actually interested in and it'll stick to the rules of that time period. However it was kinda overwhelming and obtaining cards wasn't really special at all; basically seemed to be a game on getting cards as fast as possible to PVP or something.

Then I heard about Duel Links. Its surprisingly a very quality mobile game, and this is coming from a dude that usually has 0 interest in the matter. It sticks to the original series but the twist is a variant of speed duel format, which I have found to be the best way to play the game anyway. Each player starts with 4000 LP and draws 4 cards in a deck of 20 to 30 cards only and there isn't a second a standby phase. Just draw, standby, and battle. It's heavily based around a leveling up system where you duel random NPCs to obtain keys to fight against duelists from the show to obtain good cards. Mix in special events literally happening every week and new packs of cards becoming available and it gets addicting pretty fast haha.

The big addition that other games don't have however is each character can use a "skill" that give you kind of an edge in the battle. Lots are just common skills all characters can use, but the more interesting ones are character specific and allow you to build decks around them. For example, Bandit Keith has "Baggy Sleeves" which when you take 1500 LP of damage, on your next draw phase you can also draw up a 7 Completed that's separate from your deck. Others are like Kiaba can start the duel with Mountain on the field, or another of his called "Beatdown" when a 5 star or higher monster is on the field, you can increase each monster of yours by 300 ATK for that turn for each 5 star or higher you control. Just fun stuff that keeps things interesting.

I will warn you that while free to play is absolutely viable, you have to go in with the mindset of "there's this one deck I want to build, and I'll use my free gems toward this one pack only" kinda thing. That or use more common cards that are as hard to come by, which there's surprisingly a good amount of decks that can do this. That said these decks aren't as "fan favorite" to say, such as Naturias are really big and cheap right now, but equally as strong (if not stronger) at the moment are Red-Eyes decks which are probably one of the most expensive decks to piece together in this game currently. All that and some RNG on character drops from events and etc and you'll be good <3.

Sounds like a lot but if a person like me who had next to no experience with the game can get into it and learn the game from near scratch, I'm sure it'll be fine for you haha. Would fully recommend Duel Links as it kinda "remembers" all the rules for you and you can concentrate more on just playing the game. Maybe from there it'll spark your interest to play TCG or something! 

I play this game at times.

There's a lot of things to consider, but for getting back into it, there's a lot you could do, there's Duel links if you like the first series characters, and the cards you get access to in that game mean that Blue-eyes, Dark Magician, and Red-eyes are all pretty worthwhile cards to use and build a deck around. It's not up to date with the current game however, and uses different rules such as having only 3 zones for your monsters. It's pretty fun though, and building a deck like @Wolfy said is enjoyable. 

Your other option is YGOPro which is a simulator that updates regularly with the latest cards. There's a basic AI you can go up against or there's other online players, the AI's pretty good for practice if that's what concerns you. If you wanted to learn how the game currently works, this is something you can look into. 

Chances are though, you'd need to practice to get up to speed with everything that's going on in the current game, meaning the summoning types. It's not hard to understand really, so you'll probably be fine.

If you wanted to play the game without simulators you'd probably need to use YGOPro to just test your deck out anyway, so I'd recommend you get that. You can build whatever deck you want, but you'd need certain cards to survive going up against others if you wanted to use something like a Summoned Skull deck.