Awoo.

Sonic Mania Competition Mode Revealed

Zippo

I'm pretty sure Sergio said that they wouldn't be revealing anything else until next week, but I guess not, lol. Looks great! I'm very, very nostalgic for the stretched split screen from Sonic 2.

We also get one more look at the final game's UI. Guessing that means they dropped the Mega Drive styled UI from last year:

FJ90cPW_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Thumbs Up 7

Special Stages, Bonus Stages, Time Attack, and NOW Vs Mode with full stages?!

• Thumbs Up 2

This game is looking set to have nearly every big gimmick of the old Sonic games.

And I've always wanted another 2D Sonic with split screen VS like Sonic 2 (sadly couldn't play upgraded VS on remaster).

No online multiplayer.... =(

...unless you have a PS4. Thank you Share Play! =D

Sonic basically this truly is a grabbag of things from the first three games. Sucks it l9cal play. I'll have no use of it living and no kids

4 minutes ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

No online multiplayer.... =(

...unless you have a PS4. Thank you Share Play! =D

Ah share play hmm hmm!

Holy shit, I don't believe they got THE Daytona's actual announcer. Is he also the responsible for the "GAME OVER YEEEEEEEAH!" ?

^That's some good fan service.

Anyway, I was never a fan of split screen, but at least here you can play all the full stages and use your abilities! A step ahead of S2 and S3's multiplayer!

Takenobu Mitsuyoshi‎'s voice is in Sonic Mania

This is the best possible timeline

• Thumbs Up 4

Ew, why's it all squashed like that? Just put some bars on the side to keep it 16:9.

It's always nice to have a couch co-op mode. Now I can take my laptop (or Switch if I ever get that version) over to a friend's dorm and play it there.

Though, I'm going to be pretty disappointed if there isn't an online option. That's a feature that even the Sonic 2 remake had so it'd be a pretty big oversight not to have it here.

I am so amazed how this game has yet to fail me ONCE. Like... what the fucks going on here? Why is this so perfect for me!?

On another note though, I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but where are you guys finding where it says this isn't online? I'm reading the Youtube description and it's kinda implying it is with that whole "play with your closest friends anytime you want" line. Unless this was clarified elsewhere?

I've been asking for 2P mode ever since the initial announcement of this game, so glad it's in there! Also, they completely trolled us by saying they won't show anything new until the 14th. I was caught completely off gaurd!

3...2...1... Go!

GOAL!!!

Time, Score, Rings, Total Rings & Items. My favorite 2-player vs mode is back. I'm so fucking happy! I knew they'd include it.

Took a screenshot of the results screen:

Posted Image

Oh look, it was a tie :P

Also, here's the Famitsu article I mentioned in the status updates which shows 2-player screenshots of Studiopolis, Mirage Saloon & Chemical Plant. Unfortunately the image is too small:

WF 0831 _ 120 _ 121

• Thumbs Up 3

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

YES!!

I wish this mode was available online as well, but hey, local is perfect. Thank you Mania Team!

Super happy to see Competition Mode is back. One of the best things about Sonic 2 that wasn't replicated as good in later Sonic games w/ multiplayer. (SA2:B came the closest.) Hopefully we have online races in addition to local, even Sonic 2 Remastered on mobile devices had that.

Not a fan of the game replicating Sonic 2's flattened aspect ratio, though. skullomania on NeoGAF posted an image edit that shrunk the screens to a more natural aspect ration, like in Sonic 3's Competition Mode (or if you're going for a more obscure example, the multiplayer display option in the emulated Sonic 2 release in the Sega Smash Pack 2 compilation).

qR6CRHC.png

Hopefully this or something similar is in the game as an alternate display method option. At least the multiplayer won't chug in framerate like Sonic 2 did, at least.

Only one week away...!

• Thumbs Up 3

The squashed split screen is headache inducing. It wasn't good back then and it isn't good now. But I guess certain fans want their nostalgia. I'll pass thanks.

Doesn't the game have a 4:3 mode or setting? Surely the screens would be normal with that on?

But this is perfect. It looks like multiplayer Sonic done right.

Guys I just realized Sonic 2 had a 2 player competition for the special stages. What if we get one for Mania? I mean it's pretty much like Sonic R could you imagine?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

That announcer sounds kinda familiar... 

Aha, reminded me of Pokemon Stadium.