Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

Cool! I wonder what would that involve. I don't think you'll be able to switch from default instruments to 16 bit ones, but it would rock.

I really like this style much more.

50 minutes ago, ad516 said:

Tee Lopes pinned a comment on his Mirage Saloon 16 bit remix saying that there should be a 16 bit soundfont in Sonic Mania

If that is the prize for 100% the game and not Amy i'll rip my hair off

I. Do. Not. Care. About. Nostalgia.

However if is separated I'll be okay with that.

Just... Please be a sequel, not a nostalgia grabber

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Dude you really need to relax like seriously. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Dejimon11 said:

It was a joke, most probably.

• Thumbs Up 4

26 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

It's not a 100% pure sequel (reimagined stages), but it's a spiritual sequel.

15 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Sorry, it was an exaggeration on purpose. Is just that my "internet persona" is way louder than normal me :P

If Amy isn't in Mania I'm sure I will love it anyway.

Hovever relying on nostalgia for a prize could make me disappointed not gonna lie. Because 16-bit tracks aren't really that amazing of a prize to non nostalgic people.

• Thumbs Up 5

10 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Sorry, it was an exaggeration on purpose. Is just that my "internet persona" is way louder than normal me :P

Hovever relying on nostalgia for a prize could make me disappointed not gonna lie. Because 16-bit tracks aren't really that amazing of a prize to non nostalgic people.

It would appeal to the intended audience of the game, though. Not that I don't expect it will be available straight away.

32 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Well, the game is targeted to nostalgia fans above any other, so... It would be a good prize.

2 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

It was very clearly semi-sarcastic, do you not do this kind of humor or...?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Alienrun said:

It was very clearly semi-sarcastic, do you not do this kind of humor or...?

To be fair knowing the fanbase...

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it's going to take a bit longer to leak because it's a downloadable title. If this had a physical release, then I have no doubt that the game would have broken street date by now and would be spoiled rotten by this point. 

While we're waiting for spoilers, here's something interesting and entertaining I found on /v/.

"Reminder
Toot-Toot Sonic Warrior Predicted Sonic's Future

>10-10 Here we go again 
Sonic the Hedgehog, the 10th main series game has the same title as the original Genesis Game.
>9-9 Don't fall behind 
Shadow the Hedgehog, the 9th main series game marks the beginning of Sonic's decline.
>8-8 Say, don't be late. 
Sonic Heroes, the 8th entry is delayed.
>7-7 Destination Heaven
Sonic Adventure 2, the 7th entry in the series is met with positive reviews. Sonic seems to be on the track to success.
>6-5 stayin alive.
(Sonic Adventure and Sonic and Knuckles)
Sonic games begin to get a bit stale, and Sonic Adventure is just the thing to shake things up. They're keeping the series alive.
>4-3 now it's you and me
Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 introduce Tails as a playable character.
>2-1 Now we're going to have fun.
Not really predicting the future, since it's referencing itself and Sonic 1. It's basically just boasting that CD and 1 are the best games.
>What do ya mean? - Give & Take
Predicts the split of modern sonic and classic sonic. SEGA will have to compromise to make both sides happy.
>Heads up, Jake - It's Sonic boom!
Sonic Boom, an animated series aimed at children. Jake's head was previously down due to the disappointment in Sonic Unleashed, Lost World, and others. Sonic Boom is the light in the tunnel. The future looks somewhat good for Sonic.
>Take a little chance - Slip on through 
>Y' gotta survive no matter what you do
After failure, the series needs to do something drastic.
>Toot, toot, Sonic Warrior Forever in your mind!
Sonic Mania. Yet again.
>You've got the power to save the land!
Sonic Mania has the potential to save the series. It HAS the power, but only time will tell if it will.
>The power is in your mind
Def of Mania: mental illness marked by periods of great excitement, euphoria, delusions, and overactivity.

In Conclusion: Sonic Mania will mark the return of Sonic. It's what Sonic CD's been hinting at all this time.

Don't call me a loony. This is 100% fact."

• Promotion 1

10 minutes ago, Tenko said:

That leaves me with one burning question..what does the leather and lace line mean then?!

The bizzare fan art? 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Tenko said:

That leaves me with one burning question..what does the leather and lace line mean then?!

I always thought it meant Sonic getting prepared for his run.

Comes from someone on /V/ as well.

Yawn.
Speculation of new characters on /v/ is driving me nuts, as I would much rather people discuss their opinions on the games mechanics, and just adhere to funposting. 
I work in a large development studio in the UK (not going to tell you which), and have met a few people working at PagodaWest. I've discussed the game, and have swapped a few NDAs for NDAs. I'll tell you what I'm aware of. This was back in September of last year though, so it's likely I don't know everything.
Medals straight up unlock new content. 
I'm aware that Metal sonic and Amy Rose (CD) are two of the unlockables. I have been told they are for unlocking all medals of a particular checkpoint stage, I was told they had already intended to have 30 unique blue sphere stages which can all be used toward unlocks.
Additionally, Blue Sphere can be selected from the main menu, with procedurally generated stages. These do not unlock medals, they're just a bonus.
So there's silver and gold medals. I was never told about bronze, but apparently they're a thing, according to people who have played it recently. From what I gather, there are also unlockables tied to completion with different characters, and finishing the game is a very short space of time. Apparently you unlock something if you can beat the game in less than 45 minutes total, not sure if it's a separate mode. (Boss rush maybe?)
Hydrocity Zone is in the game.
First act is as normal. The second act is a blend of Hydrocity and Marble garden, which leads straight into Mystic cave zone, with the second act blending straight into Hidden palace. Most of the old zones show up in one way or another. There are no recycled bosses. They wanted to play with people's expectations. Part of the reason they haven't publically talked about the zones in the game, of which there were 17 of when I asked about it, but they delayed it significantly, so they've probably added more since then."

9 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Comes from someone on /V/ as well.

Yawn.
Speculation of new characters on /v/ is driving me nuts, as I would much rather people discuss their opinions on the games mechanics, and just adhere to funposting. 
I work in a large development studio in the UK (not going to tell you which), and have met a few people working at PagodaWest. I've discussed the game, and have swapped a few NDAs for NDAs. I'll tell you what I'm aware of. This was back in September of last year though, so it's likely I don't know everything.
Medals straight up unlock new content. 
I'm aware that Metal sonic and Amy Rose (CD) are two of the unlockables. I have been told they are for unlocking all medals of a particular checkpoint stage, I was told they had already intended to have 30 unique blue sphere stages which can all be used toward unlocks.
Additionally, Blue Sphere can be selected from the main menu, with procedurally generated stages. These do not unlock medals, they're just a bonus.
So there's silver and gold medals. I was never told about bronze, but apparently they're a thing, according to people who have played it recently. From what I gather, there are also unlockables tied to completion with different characters, and finishing the game is a very short space of time. Apparently you unlock something if you can beat the game in less than 45 minutes total, not sure if it's a separate mode. (Boss rush maybe?)
Hydrocity Zone is in the game.
First act is as normal. The second act is a blend of Hydrocity and Marble garden, which leads straight into Mystic cave zone, with the second act blending straight into Hidden palace. Most of the old zones show up in one way or another. There are no recycled bosses. They wanted to play with people's expectations. Part of the reason they haven't publically talked about the zones in the game, of which there were 17 of when I asked about it, but they delayed it significantly, so they've probably added more since then."

This seems pretty likely I'll be honest. It seems sorta solid.

Just now, Zippo said:

1502327461878.png

Three acts Lmao 

What's that from? It seems fake somewhat. Or is this new we haven't heard of yet?

11 minutes ago, Terriful said:

What's that from? It seems fake somewhat. Or is this new we haven't heard of yet?

Fresh from 4Chan

Edit: And quickly confirmed fake. 

• Chuckle 1

10 minutes ago, Terriful said:

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=6f7ebaeac03969cc0c966aa5c7681391&showtopic=34835&st=0

It is actually from a special one zone game created by Markey Jester; to me something about it feels like the predecessor to Mania and Studiopolis, although Studiopolis may have already existed around the same exact time of this game's release! 

Please enjoy playing this if you haven't yet, via this link if you don't have time to read the original thread

http://mrjester.hapisan.com/01_Public/S1NXL.bin

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, that's from MarkeyJester's hack Sonic 1: The Next Level (which is still brilliant and I recommend giving it a try at some point—I still love the music choices).

EDIT: Ninja'd. :P

21 minutes ago, Terriful said:

Damn sorry to hear that's fake because it looked excellent. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one Zone has 3 acts