Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

HidroGarden? Mystic Palace? Ok, I doubt it's true, but it coooould work. Generations did it with Seaside Hill and Ocean Palace, but they are VERY similar, and unless the transition is smooth, it could trick the player into thinking the Act 2 is actually the next zone. Or not, IDK.

HidroGarden? Mystic Palace? Ok, I doubt it's true, but it coooould work. Generations did it with Seaside Hill and Ocean Palace, but they are VERY similar, and unless the transition is smooth, it could trick the player into thinking the Act 2 is actually the next zone. Or not, IDK.

• Nice Smile 1

There is an in-game in-universe explanation for how you get from Zone to Zone.

Various members of the dev team have already said it is longer than Generations and shorter than or on par with S3&K in number of Zones. So doing the math thats more than 9 but less than or equal to 14, right? Not spoiling what I've seen, just laying out what was already revealed.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

10 minutes ago, Jango said:

In the case of hidden palace, the framework is already there with the Sonic 2 remaster. They could just have Sonic jump into the pit at the end of Act 1 and go into Hidden Palace. They could either just call it Hidden Palace or call it Mystic Cave Act 2, kind of like how lava reef Act 2 was basically an introduction to Hidden Palace 

Thanks to all reviewers that haven´t spoiled anything up to now. The only question in my mind is whether the picture we saw and was also edited few times to look like in-game footage is really a zone in Sonic Mania...

• Nice Smile 1

23 minutes ago, Barry the Nomad said:

There is an in-game in-universe explanation for how you get from Zone to Zone.

Various members of the dev team have already said it is longer than Generations and shorter than or on par with S3&K in number of Zones. So doing the math thats more than 9 but less than or equal to 14, right? Not spoiling what I've seen, just laying out what was already revealed.

Yes; in the recent panel Christian mentioned that it is "comparable to" S3K which was the first time they have made an official statement publically which was/is exciting! :):)   Theoretically it may actually be longer, which would still be "comparable": I don't think they would necessarily want to call it the longest Sonic game publically themselves: it would be more of a positive for the game if this fact was realized excitedly by fans after release and built word of mouth excitement; rather than mentioned ahead of it; some more casual or new fans might think it will be too long of a game. 

To me comparable equates to equal or lesser but might make up in other areas, not sure he'd use it if Mania were longer. "Longer than S3&K" would be a selling point otherwise. 

1 minute ago, Barry the Nomad said:

To me comparable equates to equal or lesser but might make up in other areas, not sure he'd use it if Mania were longer. "Longer than S3&K" would be a selling point otherwise. 

I won´t say that it would be a selling point. It could be more counterproductive.

19 minutes ago, Barry the Nomad said:

I took it as a way of them answering the question without answering it too specifically. Just gives us a ballpark estimate 

1 hour ago, Sonicfan287 said:

I get what you're saying, I just don't know how committed the team is when it comes to explaining locations on Angel Island vs some other location. Technically wouldn't that mean Stardust Speedway is on another planet? 

I hope there's some cohesion but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Sonic just show up in other places without much explanation, especially since the nature of this game is a compilation of levels from different games and worlds. They may explain it by having Sonic take the tornado to these different islands but I also wouldn't be shocked if it's much simpler than that. 

Heck, up until Sonic 3 we never got an explanation for how Sonic gets from Zone to Zone. It was just "poof, here you are" 

I defintally see what you mean. They could easily use flying battery or the tornado as level transitions between islands. As for little planet, I'm not too sure. It does hover over never lake, but why go there for possibly only 1 zone? I'm sure this might be revealed on he 15th!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hai.

So the game has broken its street date. Sort of.

They technically have the game, and the code downloads just fine. However the game itself is locked.

The stuff that came with it, such as the statue, he can show off just fine.

https://twitter.com/SSF1991/status/895690722979926018

https://twitter.com/SSF1991/status/895690935971057665

https://twitter.com/SSF1991/status/895692509908807680

3 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Hai.

So the game has broken its street date. Sort of.

They technically have the game, and the code downloads just fine. However the game itself is locked.

895690722979926018https://twitter.com/SSF1991/status/895690722979926018

https://twitter.com/SSF1991/status/895690935971057665

https://twitter.com/SSF1991/status/895692509908807680

Well, that's something, I guess. 

Even though this game is merely days away, it still feels like we're months out. Seeing the box gives me hope lol. 

2 minutes ago, Zippo said:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=245850170

Here's something a bit odd. Guessing review codes go to the higher level people first?

Makes sense I suppose. They want to ensure that as little gets out about the game as possible prior to release so they may be more stingy with the review code until we get even closer to the release. The more review codes they give out, the more likely a leak is. Damn you Sega, I'm thwarted again!! 

Well see you guys in 5 days, I'm not gonna let a game i've been waiting my whole life get spoiled here and i have to resist my urge to see said spoilers.

• Thumbs Up 1

One last post in this topic before I officially bail for good.

You only get to experience this game for the first time once.

That is all I have to say.

JcXZEby.png

Later!

• Thumbs Up 1

Only thing I want spoiler is what the Sonic 3 zone is and the zone count. If someone who is spoiler hunting finds one of these out, you should pm me, I will be thankful :).

im out. peace!

Apparently, only the Switch version of the collectors' edition has a working download code, so if it's broken street date in your area, and you have the ability to buy it, there's a chance you can play the game right now.

3 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Apparently, only the Switch version of the collectors' edition has a working download code, so if it's broken street date in your area, and you have the ability to buy it, there's a chance you can play the game right now.

In this case I'll be out Best Buy. I'll let you know if I can get it. 

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=245857986

"I just wanna say, I'm reviewing this game, I finished this game 100% earlier today after a few days of play - all Chaos Emeralds, all unlockables, etc - aside from anything that might be unlocked from Tails/Knuckles alone runs - and seriously, if you can keep the secrets, do. As an old Sonic fan I cheered and hooted out loud at some of the things in this game - bosses, zone selection, etc, plus the gimmicks in the new versions of old zones. I honestly think it's worth going in not knowing.

If you're a hardcore fan who will relish the little references or even the bigger ones like zone selection, it's worth seeing it first time in your playthrough. Even saying [zone x] from [game y] is in it and in Act 2 it has the [thing] from [thing] in it is a massive downgrade on actually seeing it play out via the act transition or whatever."

1502397045178.png

HE'S STREAMING

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A DRILL 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Zippo said:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=245857986

"I just wanna say, I'm reviewing this game, I finished this game 100% earlier today after a few days of play - all Chaos Emeralds, all unlockables, etc - aside from anything that might be unlocked from Tails/Knuckles alone runs - and seriously, if you can keep the secrets, do. As an old Sonic fan I cheered and hooted out loud at some of the things in this game - bosses, zone selection, etc, plus the gimmicks in the new versions of old zones. I honestly think it's worth going in not knowing.

If you're a hardcore fan who will relish the little references or even the bigger ones like zone selection, it's worth seeing it first time in your playthrough. Even saying [zone x] from [game y] is in it and in Act 2 it has the [thing] from [thing] in it is a massive downgrade on actually seeing it play out via the act transition or whatever."

1502397045178.png

HE'S STREAMING 

I'm out. Good bye everyone, cya later