Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

Okay, so most people have seen the wonderful & Knuckles joke ending if you beat the Final Final Boss as Knuckles, right? This is done by selecting and beating the level as Knuckles by accessing the Level Select screen. 

I have to wonder if anyone has played the level as Tails and uncovered another joke ending themselves. I'd love to know if there's a fun Tails Easter Egg. 

And speaking of Easter Eggs and Sonic Mania, there's a lot of good ones in here. Have a video~ 

(For note, TheCatGoneCrazy isn't related to me)

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

But... that's a bad... right right, dealing with sega.

A company who cant differentiated between bad ideas and bad gameplay, criticism is a mystery to them 

Yeah, I was trying to see the situation from his point of view. Lol.

Flying battery act 2 kicked my butt especially the spider boss. But I ended up enjoying the spider boss gimmick and Act 2 taking place during a thunderstorm

• Thumbs Up 1

But... that's a bad... right right, dealing with sega.

A company who cant differentiated between bad ideas and bad gameplay, criticism is a mystery to them 

Except it can be argued that that "mysterious" criticism is exactly why we have Mania in the first place.

And why Colors was made.

And feedback is why Shadow's game was made.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/08/19/sega-discusses-all-things-sonic-mania/amp/

This seems to be the bulletpointed translation from the recent Mania interview done in Japan with Izuka. Some interesting statements in there.

Apparently Izuka wanted Flying Battery in due to a personal like of the music and level design going in and out of the ship. Blue Spheres wasn't originally meant to be used and was a place holder but got left in. But what's odd is it mentions Sega/Mega CD being the targeted hypothetical system for the game not the Saturn as Tax/Stealth etc mentioned?

38 minutes ago, Tenko said:

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/08/19/sega-discusses-all-things-sonic-mania/amp/

This seems to be the bulletpointed translation from the recent Mania interview done in Japan with Izuka. Some interesting statements in there.

Apparently Izuka wanted Flying Battery in due to a personal like of the music and level design going in and out of the ship. Blue Spheres wasn't originally meant to be used and was a place holder but got left in. But what's odd is it mentions Sega/Mega CD being the targeted hypothetical system for the game not the Saturn as Tax/Stealth etc mentioned?

I always said it was more SegaCD32X than Saturn.

"There was talk of another port, but Iizuka thought fans would desire something new from the old games"

iizuka, how should we tell you we want something new AND Sonic 3 remastered? >_<

I've collected all PSN trophies in Mania:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6477-sonic-mania/StonecoldSAS1mgs

The final trophy I got was the "Professional Hedgehog" where you have to beat Titanic Monarch act1 without taking damage (which includes the boss figh)t and you aren't allowed to take shield damage.

Speaking of which I've only just realised that if you have the normal shield equipped with Sonic then you cannot transform into Super Sonic just like if you had an elemential shield equipped, unlike in Sonic 2 where you transform into Super Sonic regardless if you have the normal shield equipped or not.  For this reason when going for this trophy if you intend to use Super Sonic then you'll need to avoid the shield box near the start.

3 hours ago, Tenko said:

"The team felt the need to continuously connect stages from various eras, which it does with the Phantom Ruby story".

The whole "warping to each stage to explain how they get to each location" is a good idea because Mania needed a story to explain why they revisit old zones. However, the game only has about six transitions and there are 12 zones. So why is the story only half finished? If this is the complete story then its almost as bad as Gens and I'm very disappointment because the warp cutscenes in Mania are really good.

The story feels unfinished. Looks like they couldn't finish it prior to release which is baffling considering how much complete content is in the game.

In years to come I won't remember Mania for having a great story which is such a bloody shame. Whereas Sonic 3&K, Sonic CD...hell even Sonic 2 and Knuckles Chaotix have better stories. 

The decision to leave in blue sphere as a bonus stage also sounds like a last-minute rushed decision.

I can understand if Iizuka/SEGA wanted Mania released before Forces, but if more development time was needed to polish it up and add content then Team Mania should have been given more time. 

2 hours ago, OcelotBot said:

The whole "warping to each stage to explain how they get to each location" is a good idea because Mania needed a story to explain why they revisit old zones. However, the game only has about six transitions and there are 12 zones. So why is the story only half finished? If this is the complete story then its almost as bad as Gens and I'm very disappointment because the warp cutscenes in Mania are really good.

The story feels unfinished. Looks like they couldn't finish it prior to release which is baffling considering how much complete content is in the game.

They probably had to reshuffle the stages after playtesting them for difficulty. That would explain why most of the latter half's transitions are gone, given how important it would be to get that side of progression right as you approach the end.

Maybe Hydrocity and Lava Reef were between Flying Battery and Mirage Saloon? It would make sense given that the first three take place on Angel Island and you do fall into Hydrocity. Taking a plane from the top of a mountain at night, meeting Knuckles and and arriving at Mirage Saloon at dawn makes sense too. Knuckles' fight with the Heavy King would seem a bit early though... but it would mean that you could could be teleported from Oil Ocean to Press Garden (going from an intense level to a more chill one is pretty much tradition) and finally to Little Planet for the remaining zones. Then again, I've just remembered that there's no scene between Metallic Madness and Titanic Monarch. I don't know where MMZ would go otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

People already discovery everything on this game ? maybe we can ask Christian on tweeter, I doubt we have a answer but ...

if we have some other Easter Eggs unlocked by putting codes on Sound Test like on Cd's .

or just wait for people have fun when the PC version comes .

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, OcelotBot said:

I've collected all PSN trophies in Mania:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6477-sonic-mania/StonecoldSAS1mgs

The final trophy I got was the "Professional Hedgehog" where you have to beat Titanic Monarch act1 without taking damage (which includes the boss figh)t and you aren't allowed to take shield damage.

Speaking of which I've only just realised that if you have the normal shield equipped with Sonic then you cannot transform into Super Sonic just like if you had an elemential shield equipped, unlike in Sonic 2 where you transform into Super Sonic regardless if you have the normal shield equipped or not.  For this reason when going for this trophy if you intend to use Super Sonic then you'll need to avoid the shield box near the start.

"The team felt the need to continuously connect stages from various eras, which it does with the Phantom Ruby story".

In years to come I won't remember Mania for having a great story which is such a bloody shame. Whereas Sonic 3&K, Sonic CD...hell even Sonic 2 and Knuckles Chaotix have better stories. 

The decision to leave in blue sphere as a bonus stage also sounds like a last-minute rushed decision.

I can understand if Iizuka/SEGA wanted Mania released before Forces, but if more development time was needed to polish it up and add content then Team Mania should have been given more time. 

That's a tough one. I'm not sure how people would have reacted to a delay for all systems. Hopefully the team learnt the lesson for the next game.

43 minutes ago, MainJP said:

This happened.

Reveal hidden contents

6Z41PMA.png

He also just kinda stays there after the crash happens.

Happens with me as well .

Has anyone discovered this yet? Unused capsule room in Titanic Monarch Act 2. The room has some Rings, a checkpoint post, and some Hard Boiled Heavy Flags. This room can only be accessed via debug mode, there is no other entrance to it. The camera locks once you reach the capsule and you can't get out of it. Guessing this is a beta leftover?

Edit: Should mention that opening the capsule ends the level and takes you to the boss room of the level.

599a672118d45_166FF4309DD2E787EA45380BCD0E531121058773D656248677pimgpsh_fullsize_distr(2).thumb.jpg.d99169f25debedd930230c4334c4e903.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

My PC version of the collector's edition has shown up via Amazon today, due delivery date was the 30th so it got here pretty fast. Looking forward to trying the PC version once it unlocks to see if there are any updates or changes from the console release due to the delay.

48 minutes ago, MainJP said:

Stealth had a great stream. 5 hours long!

I don't know his channel, is there a link to the archive? Would love to see one of the devs play their own game.

And yeah the story is the weakest part by far. I'm a little bummed that Blue Spheres wasn't relegated to a bonus mode with more traditional bonus stages in place, but oh well. I think if we ever get a Mania 2, and given the reception I'd have to believe that's likely, the team would probably improve on that aspect. Both have been brought up a lot as being some of the weaker parts of the game.

Just now, CleverSonicUsername said:

I don't know his channel, is there a link to the archive? Would love to see one of the devs play their own game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I like Blue Spheres and unlocking extras by completing them is a great idea, but it does kinda bum me out that you can't get stuff like power ups since that was the best thing about 2 out of 3 of Sonic 3&K's bonus stages. Are the Rings you collect added to your in-level count, at least? (It's possible they are and I just never noticed in any of the footage I've seen, lol.)

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Yeah, I like Blue Spheres and unlocking extras by completing them is a great idea, but it does kinda bum me out that you can't get stuff like power ups since that was the best thing about 2 out of 3 of Sonic 3&K's bonus stages. Are the Rings you collect added to your in-level count, at least? (It's possible they are and I just never noticed in any of the footage I've seen, lol.)

Just tried it. Both on a bonus stage failed and on one cleared perfectly it did not add to my ring count.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

And yeah the story is the weakest part by far. I'm a little bummed that Blue Spheres wasn't relegated to a bonus mode with more traditional bonus stages in place, but oh well. I think if we ever get a Mania 2, and given the reception I'd have to believe that's likely, the team would probably improve on that aspect. Both have been brought up a lot as being some of the weaker parts of the game.

What a game would Mania 2 (or whatever the name) be if Mania Team takes all feedback into account. Ok, maybe Mania is not better than S3&K, but after this first attempt, and taking into account how much attention they've given to details, the next game can easily be the best classic hands down. I mean, Mania Team already had the knowledge from the past, but had never introduced stuff of their own. Now they have, and they're learning what's been welcome and what not. Next game can only be better. They'll surely try more new stuff and probably make new mistakes, but progression looks promising on this team.

5 minutes ago, molul said:

What a game would Mania 2 (or whatever the name) be if Mania Team takes all feedback into account. Ok, maybe Mania is not better than S3&K, but after this first attempt, and taking into account how much attention they've given to details, the next game can easily be the best classic hands down. I mean, Mania Team already had the knowledge from the past, but had never introduced stuff of their own. Now they have, and they're learning what's been welcome and what not. Next game can only be better. They'll surely try more new stuff and probably make new mistakes, but progression looks promising on this team.

The only thing that would worry me in regards to a Mania 2 is whether or not Sonic Team mandates that classic stages return, again. For the record I think Mania does an extremely good job at breathing new life into old zones, rather than have them come off as cheap nostalgia cash-ins. Almost every classic zone finds representation in some way, be it a wink and a nod, or by effectively becoming mash-ups with returning stages (Stardust Speedway and Marble Garden, for example.) Mania functions well as a celebration of Sonic's past, but I really want the classic style of gameplay to continue with all new ideas, tropes, and levels. Studiopolis, Press Garden, and Mirage Saloon are major stand outs to me and proof positive that the Mania team can handle a wholly original series of levels.

Man, forgive the nerding but I've been trying to headcanon together patch jobs for the missing chunks of story in the game and this is what I got:

Spoiler

Green Hill Zone
Chemical Plant Zone
Studiopolis Zone
Flying Battery Zone

• The Flying Battery lands on Angel Island , where Press Garden is located at the foot of Ice Cap.

Press Garden Zone

• In the cut-scene, Eggman uses the Phantom Ruby to warp Little Planet so it is now connected to Angel Island.

Stardust Speedway Zone

• Eggman blasts Sonic off of Miracle Planet down onto Angel Island, and is then shown returning inside the under-construction Titanic Monarch (I thought it was just a big ole' cool statue and didn't appreciate it's significance originally).

Hydrocity Zone

• Sonic and Tails get split up before the boss fight, falling down seperate crumbling chutes.  After the boss fight, Eggman again uses the Phantom Ruby to warp the Angel Island/Miracle Planet above Westside Island.  The ground crumbles in Hydrocity and Sonic falls out the bottom of Angel Island.  Tails catches him on the Tornado and they fly down towards Westside Island.

Mirage Saloon Zone
Oil Ocean Zone

• Eggman is caught sending fuel tankers up to Little Planet for some reason.  He spots Sonic and activates the machinery below him, and Sonic is blasted away back up to the underside of Angel Island, and into Lava Reef.

Lava Reef Zone

• Sonic discovers the chain connecting Little Planet and heads on up.  Upon arrival he sees the completed Titanic Monarch in the distance and heads into the base surrounding it.

Metallic Madness Zone

• Just a simple cut-scene of heading to the next area would be all that would be necessary here.

Of course this is just a fanfic of how they COULD have connected all these together... the reality is of course my idea cannot work with the opening (where Angel Island is in the sea, still without explaination), and the ending (where Little Planet is above Never Lake as usual).

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

The only thing that would worry me in regards to a Mania 2 is whether or not Sonic Team mandates that classic stages return, again. For the record I think Mania does an extremely good job at breathing new life into old zones, rather than have them come off as cheap nostalgia cash-ins. Almost every classic zone finds representation in some way, be it a wink and a nod, or by effectively becoming mash-ups with returning stages (Stardust Speedway and Marble Garden, for example.) Mania functions well as a celebration of Sonic's past, but I really want the classic style of gameplay to continue with all new ideas, tropes, and levels. Studiopolis, Press Garden, and Mirage Saloon are major stand outs to me and proof positive that the Mania team can handle a wholly original series of levels.

Well, of course the most important feedback they should take into account is that, ok, Mania's reimagined levels have been handled very well, but next time we want ALL new zones.

I mean, as a restart of the 2D classic, Mania is a perfect step, but this reimagining thing shouldn't be repeated in 10 years.