Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

Just now, ad516 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Holy shit Silver Sonic from the Game Gear Sonic 2 is in this game.

So what would you want exactly? You seem unpleasable.

No, I'm pretty easily pleasable.

Just make Eggman the sole main antagonist without pulling in these "darker and grittier" other villains that have plagued the modern games for so long. It isn't hard, really.

Just now, Dr. Mechano said:

Just make Eggman the sole main antagonist without pulling in these "darker and grittier" other villains that have plagued the modern games for so long. It isn't hard, really.

Having another villain isn't inherently bad though. Sonic CD had Metal Sonic and no one complained about it.

Why is the stream working for some and not others? is it still going on? It's not working for me.

3 minutes ago, gato said:

It's a city, with hydrogen and maybe some oxygen.

Hide contents

e5VeUTa.jpg

OH YESSS

This is from Sonic 2 on the Master System!!!

Why am I so weaaaaakkkkaaaaaaahhh dem spoilers

1 minute ago, ad516 said:

Having another villain isn't inherently bad though. Sonic CD had Metal Sonic and no one complained about it.

Metal Sonic was Eggman's minion though, not some "eviler than thou" character who shoved Eggman out of the way and supplanted him as the main antagonist. So while he was a new villain, he was still operating as an extension of Eggman's will.

...until Heroes, anyway, but Heroes was terrible.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Nah, I mean, I'd be equally annoyed if Mania had its own "original" generic monster of the week villain too. It's not just because it's from Forces.

Mania has six of those though.

I'm sure we'd get complaints about how suddenly Eggman's a competent enough threat to single handedly take over the world.

Just now, NoKaine said:

Mania has six of those though.

Nah, the Hard-Boiled Heavies are fun, quirky "robot master"-esque minions.

They're fine and can stay.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Metal Sonic was Eggman's minion though, not some "eviler than thou" character who shoved Eggman out of the way and supplanted him as the main antagonist.

Are there Forces leaks too? I haven't heard these story bits about Infinite yet.

1 minute ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Metal Sonic was Eggman's minion though, not some "eviler than thou" character who shoved Eggman out of the way and supplanted him as the main antagonist. So while he was a new villain, he was still operating as an extension of Eggman's will.

...until Heroes, anyway, but Heroes was terrible.

But Infinite works with Eggman?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Something that caught my eye from the leaked cutscene and 

Spoiler

that gem

Made me think that maybe Infinite isn't a godlike superdimensional entity like all the other monsters of the week. What if Eggman creates Infinite? That'd explain why Infinite is the leader of Eggman's forces.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NoKaine said:

Are there Forces leaks too? I haven't heard these story bits about Infinite yet.

Nah, but c'mon. I think we can pretty clearly predict that Infinite's being set up to be the final boss who betrays Eggman. I'll be really surprised if that doesn't happen.

Which, hey, that's fine. Izuka's game, Izuka's vision, have at it. I just think it's kinda lame that that's crossing over into Mania now. It's not going to ruin the game for me, but I'm still disappointed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Robotnik in a scuba suit! This boss is hilarious, you use his Hydrocity boss against him XD

That boss was hilarious.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Nah, the Hard-Boiled Heavies are fun, quirky "robot master"-esque minions.

They're cool bosses (not characters, bosses) with a single gimmick and that's it. They're as superfluous as Dark Gaia.

I'm pretty sure we're not all going to rave about how great the Hard-Boiled Heavies are.

OH MY GOD THE ACT 2 REMIX IN MY VEIIIIIIINS

IT'S SO GOOD. It has a bit of the Sonic & Knuckles Collection FM synth into the mix!

Just now, ad516 said:

Metal Sonic makes total sense tho, Eggman builds robots, of course a robot replica of the guy that keeps beating him will cross his mind eventually.

The other ones, known as "Monsters of the Week" don't often make sense even when given elaborate stories. Like Iblis, Bio Lizard, Black Doom etc, they all seem to be out of left field and don't really make sense in universe. Especially if they replace the main series villain as the final boss. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to get Press Garden uploaded on YouTube. 

Sega will come after my ass, but I'm going to do it anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Tenko said:

Metal Sonic makes total sense tho, Eggman builds robots, of course a robot replica of the guy that keeps beating him will cross his mind eventually.

The other ones, known as "Monsters of the Week" don't often make sense even when given elaborate stories. Like Iblis, Bio Lizard, Black Doom etc, they all seem to be out of left field and don't really make sense in universe. Especially if they replace the main series villain as the final boss. 

So what if Eggman created Infinite? That explains why he works with him.

Nah, but c'mon. I think we can pretty clearly predict that Infinite's being set up to be the final boss who betrays Eggman. I'll be really surprised if that doesn't happen.

Do you think that because that's where the story beats are going, or because you want that to happen?

Which, hey, that's fine. Izuka's game, Izuka's vision, have at it. I just think it's kinda lame that that's crossing over into Mania now. It's not going to ruin the game for me, but I'm still disappointed.

Okay so if it's not ruining the game what's the problem.

Iizuka this Iizuka that, you know other people work on the games, right?

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, NoKaine said:

They're cool bosses (not characters, bosses) with a single gimmick and that's it. They're as superfluous as Dark Gaia.

I'm pretty sure we're not all going to rave about how great the Hard-Boiled Heavies are.

Either way, they fit the tone and aesthetic of the game a lot better than Infinite does, in my opinion.

I want to clarify again that I'm not seriously angry over this, just mildly annoyed. I don't want to give people the wrong impression; Mania still looks great despitet it the Forces connection, but I can't help but roll my eyes at it anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Dr. Mechano said:

Either way, they fit the tone and aesthetic of the game a lot better than Infinite does, in my opinion.

I want to clarify again that I'm not seriously angry over this, just mildly annoyed. I don't want to give people the wrong impression; Mania still looks great despitet it the Forces connection, but I can't help but roll my eyes at it anyway.

If you're not angry why are you still talking about it?

2 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

Do you think that because that's where the story beats are going, or because you want that to happen?

No, I definitely don't want that to happen. Forces' premise is that Eggman finally took over the world, so I feel it'd be thematically appropriate for him to be the main antagonist and final boss.

But Infinite's being set up as the "cooler and edgier" new villain, so I feel like he's gonna take that spot instead. Like I said, I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

1 minute ago, ad516 said:

If you're not angry why are you still talking about it?

Because people are responding to me and quoting my post(s), and it's polite to respond back rather than ignore them. 

• Thumbs Up 2

What has Infinite done? He's a gem. Do Chaos Emeralds clash with the game too?

Like, he hasn't actually done anything. Not in the "his character is so useless" but the "he's a flying diamond". 

Okay, you know what Infinite's like in Forces, but what is he like in Mania? We haven't even gotten to that point, if we ever will.

Also how do I stop this BEEPING

4 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

No, I definitely don't want that to happen. Forces' premise is that Eggman finally took over the world, so I feel it'd be thematically appropriate for him to be the main antagonist and final boss.

But Infinite's being set up as the "cooler and edgier" new villain, so I feel like he's gonna take that spot instead. Like I said, I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

The Deadly Six and the Time Eater didn't take that role from him. If all you want is Eggman as the final boss, they could just have Infinite dealt with beforehand and Eggman whips out his giant egg-shaped robot against Super Sonics and Super Avatar (they're DEFINITELY going to do that).

Okay but let's stop talking directly about Forces though. Where's some pics?

• Thumbs Up 1