Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

You can totally see Lava Reef in that opening movie, at 0:50.

That opening movie is FUCKING OUTSTANDING. Tyson Hesse, I love you. It's beautiful. 

okay so i've read the thread up to this point (because i'm a weak piece of shit) and it sounds fuckin awesomeeeee. however, the fact that some levels don't have transitions is ?????? why??? hopefully taxman and the team can explain themselves soon on that one, because that's annoying.

(also the possibility of this being a prequel to forces is kinda cool, but also really weird. if forces turns out okay, it'll be neat, but if it turns out bad.... well, still cool to see some interconnectivity between games. hopefully it's not a prequel at all though, just to be safe)

So being that the intro is missing that scene with what appears to be the leader of the HBH unit, does that possibly mean there is an as yet unmentioned animated ending scene too then? 

Just now, Penny said:

okay so i've read the thread up to this point (because i'm a weak piece of shit) and it sounds fuckin awesomeeeee. however, the fact that some levels don't have transitions is ?????? why??? hopefully taxman and the team can explain themselves soon on that one, because that's annoying.

(also the possibility of this being a prequel to forces is kinda cool, but also really weird. if forces turns out okay, it'll be neat, but if it turns out bad.... well, still cool to see some interconnectivity between games. hopefully it's not a prequel at all though, just to be safe)

I'm not sure. They go from the bottom of Hydrocity and are suddenly on a plane with knuckles with no warning or scene. It's really weird

5 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

Y-yeah...? I said "I imagine", so, yeah...

So did you make up your own term (not even a cromulent one, "SEGA-Sense" is both hard to say and write) and philosophy (you couldn't actually tell me what that philosophy is, but considering the "nonsensical" part, I'm sure it's "whatever they do or could do that I don't like"), attached it to people and companies you don't even know, and used it to springboard your theories?

Do you actually believe that Sonic Team is filled with actual bullies who could and would actually "take over" a game's development from other people (across the globe, mind you)? You've already set up what exactly they'll make, somehow (is it a quality thing, or do you literally think they'd make a Generations 2 3, with 3D models and all?).

Can't even get that scenario straight since Classic Generations/Forces is massively different from 4, but alright. 

Hold on, we're still on the point of how, why, and what this conspiracy even is, we'll get to how it'll work later.

I don't see the concern here. Apparently in this reality Iizuka will brownbeat SEGA and actually beat Taxman for the right to make Mania 2 so they can ruin it because I guess they hate you uh, I mean Sonic, personally. So, we've got that all figured out.

Okay, a conversation with you just isn't happening. You're throwing in your own two-cents by twisting what I say in whatever manner you want and trying to basically tell me what my thought process is.

Literally none of that is what I believe or think. My entire belief is that SEGA/Sonic Team are nonsensical and self-indulging to a degree that's detrimental to this franchise that is where it begins and where it ends.

All of this other nonsense you're spouting is pretty much just that. I'm not dragging this out for 50 pages with you.

Back on topic.

9 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Oh Zavok... Eh

It would make sense for Chaos to appear in Knuckles story. M.E. and all of that stuff.

I would scream of terror and joy at the same time if suddenly in the Mirage Saloon tornado section f*cking Shadow appears and shoots the Tornado down

Wait... Zavok?

Now we're speculating him appearing?

Alrighty then.

deadly_six_by_orkimides-d7eblj7.png

Look like that probably.

• Thumbs Up 1

The idea of Sonic Team "taking back" a sequel to Mania is pretty ridiculous, even if things said and done by Sonic Team in the past may suggest that. I feel like in the past they were known for not liking their original work altered, or something along those lines, which I guess explains why it took so long to see actual remasters of the original games.

And anyway, wasn't the entire point of Mania to have Christian and Co. do it? And they've received tons of praise for it so far, good sales will only further cement these guys as the go-to for classic games.

I just don't see much point in spouting paranoia like that.

• Thumbs Up 5

The curtains in Mirage Saloon Act 2 totally make sense now. The Heavy featured there is a magician, so it's likely going to be a magic show of some sort.

3 minutes ago, EmmBee said:

The idea of Sonic Team "taking back" a sequel to Mania is pretty ridiculous

But they did take back a sequel to Sonic Mania.

sonic_forces_logo_by_nuryrush-db2jx06.pn

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 6

4 minutes ago, EmmBee said:

And anyway, wasn't the entire point of Mania to have Christian and Co. do it? And they've received tons of praise for it so far, good sales will only further cement these guys as the go-to for classic games.

I just don't see much point in spouting paranoia like that.

Believe you me, this is what I'm praying for, but the realistic side tells me to expect Sonic Team taking on a sequel in Whitehead and co.'s place.

Do hope it's the later returning though!

But they did take back a sequel to Sonic Mania.

...I love you and hate you for that @Faber-Of-Wisps-And-Might

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

10 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Okay, a conversation with you just isn't happening. You're throwing in your own two-cents by twisting what I say in whatever manner you want and trying to basically tell me what my thought process is.

Maybe it's just so... imaginative that even you don't believe it, but I'm not twisting a thing.

You seriously subscribe to this "SEGA-Sense" theory. It's apparently not just your little pet term, you honestly believe that SEGA believes in it. I've seen in the interview thread that you even made a little song. I'm not one to hark on people's theories... but, seriously, man.

My entire belief is that SEGA/Sonic Team are nonsensical and self-indulging to a degree that's detrimental to this franchise that is where it begins and where it ends.

And you made a term, not only a term, but a "philosophy", like the Ayn Rand of Sonic games, only instead of Objectivism it's Objectively Bad Sonic games.

You seem to have an innate understanding of their business too. Not to the rather mundane idea of how they work, how they come up with ideas or how they execute it, but a little hierarchy and society of alpha male! No, they take those, thank you very much. Most people would stop at "they're incompetent", but geez.

No but seriously do you not see how ridiculous this sounds:

They will, but the problem is that, likely, Sonic Team will take over and snuff Whitehead and his guys out so they can do it themselves, giving us more Generations at best, Sonic 4 at worst.

Not just take over, but snuff them. Really.

5 minutes ago, Zippo said:

The curtains in Mirage Saloon Act 2 totally make sense now. The Heavy featured there is a magician, so it's likely going to be a magic show of some sort.

Well that and it's a saloon, which did often have stages for dancing shows etc 

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Believe you me, this is what I'm praying for, but the realistic side tells me to expect Sonic Team taking on a sequel in Whitehead and co.'s place.

Do hope it's the later returning though!

I don't see that as realistic at all. I mean, for starters they'd receive a lot of flak over doing something like that. It would kind of be like a repeat of the whole Kojima and Konami thing, though I guess to a much smaller scale. People would for sure notice Christian missing from it's production and say something to Sega on one of their social media platforms.

The Sega of today is a much more open company and actually listens to some of the criticism they receive. Maybe seven or eight years ago your worries would be a bit more warranted, but they really aren't right now.

4 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

...I love you and hate you for that @Faber-Of-Wisps-And-Might

You feel it?

The fanbase collapsing on itself when at the end of Sonic Mania Infinite shows his ugly mug and laughs at the camera with a black screen and "To be continued..."? 

SEGA are genius for doing this I tell you. The unseen prequel is the deadliest. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Tenko said:

So being that the intro is missing that scene with what appears to be the leader of the HBH unit, does that possibly mean there is an as yet unmentioned animated ending scene too then? 

That animation:

1c2.gif

Looks like it became this scene:

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Well that and it's a saloon, which did often have stages for dancing shows etc 

And the Act 2 of Press Garden has snowy fields and japanesque aesthetics. Its Heavy is the ninja one. The medieval Heavy will be in a castle/mansion zone, which is awesome. I just wonder if the leader Heavy will have its own thematic zone or if he will be at the final zone of the game. That would make 8 returning and 5 new, 14 in total, same as Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

3 minutes ago, MainJP said:

That animation:

1c2.gif

Looks like it became this scene:

giphy.gif

New one flows much better, though I guess that's a given.

5 minutes ago, Jango said:

And the Act 2 of Press Garden has snowy fields and japanesque aesthetics. Its Heavy is the ninja one. The medieval Heavy will be in a castle/mansion zone, which is awesome. I just wonder if the leader Heavy will have its own thematic zone or if he will be at the final zone of the game. That would make 8 returning and 5 new, 14 in total.

I think unless he's a miniboss or the last zone is three acts then the leader will have a zone to himself and the final one with Eggman will be original. 15 is a decent number over S3&K.

Calling it...

The final boss?

It's a giant grey Death Egg Robo from Forces.

"The Conquest Begins" after you win.

• Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2

If the HBH's get away after whomping them in their respective stages then perhaps they come back for a large scale fight at the end. Or turn into a bigger robot...

• Promotion 2

5 minutes ago, Tenko said:

If the HBH's get away after whomping them in their respective stages then perhaps they come back for a large scale fight at the end. Or turn into a bigger robot...

1IIvRv.gif

Like a... Megazord? YOOO

• Thumbs Up 4

Haha that and Voltron came to mind. Then my brain moved into Eggman armour territory, using each bot as a piece of his new battle suit/mech.

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

1IIvRv.gif

Like a... Megazord? YOOO

...Gotta Go Sonic Rangers?

I could go for that.

• Chuckle 1