Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

So we need to collect all Chaos Emeralds and the weird purple emerald thing for the true ending...

THIS WILL BE MY MISSION FOR RELEASE DAY

I WILL FUCKING BE THE FIRST

• Thumbs Up 1

Except for there being no playable Amy or Metal-Sonic... I'm not even slightly disappointed with Mania! Looks to be most of what I could want out of a classic style Sonic game! Really excited to buy this... so much awesomeness. :3

Uh, like the fact it's clearly based on the concept art of the CD final boss I guess?

While we're at it, we haven't fought the last Hard Boiled Heavy, right? He must be the final final boss. 

Incredible game. My only two gripes are that 4 new Zones is pretty disappointing. This is assuming there isn't more, and my second one is Oil Ocean and Metallic Madness being there. Sonic 2 did not need two factory stages represented when there was plenty else to choose from. Metallic Madness is just a boring choice in general. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

OK, so now that we know all the zones from Mania, here's my wishlist for a dlc :

- Azure lake zone (autumnal mood, maybe with some mushrooms)
- Diamond dust zone (with some marble / roman style architecture, but made of ice)

- New medieval themed zone with dark grey color, rusty elements and toxic slime pits.

- New jungle themed zone

- Scrap brain zone.

Hope Sega will listen :grinning:

• Thumbs Up 1

Hearing talk on Neogaf, there is definitely one more new zone, and it's going to feature the main Heavy. Going to guess it's another Doomsday situation where all of the emeralds are needed. 

Also, going by what I've seen, a number of people's Switch collector's editions are being delivered today, so I would expect more streams soon.

5 hours ago, Joseph Henry said:

Yep we are NOT gonna see Lava Reef.

Good gosh we are not giving this guy a break are we...

...JK, he sucks and we should bash on him! :P

I don't want to sound like a hater, but does anyone else think that "the bad ending" boss is too easy?(bad=not all emeralds were collected)

Just now, DiamondX said:

I don't want to sound like a hater, but does anyone else think that "the bad ending" boss is too easy?(bad=not all emeralds were collected)

Is there a video of it yet? Links?

2 minutes ago, DiamondX said:

Thank you!

I liked the final boss honestly. It was a nice review of the other bosses in the game, with Eggman still at the forefront.

Am curious what the final final boss will be.

Four (?) new zones is definitely bummer. I was expecting five or six at least. Still hyped it's almost Tuesday, only a few days left. I'm sure I will enjoy this game greatly, even the old zones. There's hoping we will see a Mania sequel in the near future, with ALL NEW ZONES, PLZ!

1 minute ago, DiamondX said:

I don't Mania will get a sequel... At least not soon.

It's better as a one-time thing.

Completely disagree.

Mania is actually a quality 2D Sonic game, and if it sells well (it will), it makes sense to make more of them.

I'd honestly love it if we got an ongoing series of classic-styled Sonic games, perhaps letting Taxman and company have more creative freedom now that they've proven themselves with Mania; i.e., more original all-new zones.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Even if there are only four New zones - i will still enjoy mania for years to come. This is by far the Best sonic game since S3k.

Aww, they cut the medieval/Castle level (if there was one planned)? I've always wanted something like that ever since seeing Castle Eggman in Sonic Roboblast 2. Also, no Haunted level either? Oh well.. Press Garden and Titanic Monarch do look amazing and almost out of place compared to some of the old stages in how creative they are visually. Iizuka must be intimidated, and if the good ending does reveal a connection to Forces and Classic Sonic is supposed to be the same we play as in Mania, then that's a bigger joke than anything Pontac and Graff have written in the Colors-Lost World era.

I could have settled for five new stages, but they really went overboard with all the remixed zones so the new ones seem like leftovers from another game. The game also seems a bit rushed towards the end, not in the sense that it is bad, but the remixed Hydrocity/Oil Ocean/Lava Reef are kind of disappointing when compared to the amazing remixes for Chemical Plant/Flying Battery/Stardust Speedway (Metallic Madness has some fun new elements, though, and the implications of Eggman's Amy dolls are especially funny). I was so excited for the Hydrocity remix, but putting Labyrinth Zone elements in there kinda made the zone worse.

Back to the game being "rushed", next to many missing zone transitions, it seems really out of place how you fight that Heavy in Lava Reef in a setting that doesn't have anything to do with the fire element. And what about the leader? You don't even get to fight him (before the secret boss, maybe)? He would have made more sense in Titanic Monarch Act 1. He doesn't seem like final boss material to me in his current form.

Weren't the Heavies supposed to betray Eggman? I thought they were going in that direction after Green Hill, but then they kept working for him until the end. Why would Sega release that plot point if it doesn't happen until you collect all those Emeralds?

So from the looks of it, my favourite zones are probably going to be all the new ones as well as Flying Battery and Stardust Speedway. The latter two have such amazing boss fights in Act 2. I never knew I needed Spider Eggman in my life.

1 minute ago, LukA8 said:

Back to the game being "rushed", next to many missing zone transitions, it seems really out of place how you fight that Heavy in Lava Reef in a setting that doesn't have anything to do with the fire element. And what about the leader? You don't even get to fight him (before the secret boss, maybe)? He would have made more sense in Titanic Monarch Act 1. He doesn't seem like final boss material to me in his current form.

Dude, what if...

e1UwnFV.png

...this is the final Heavy, in his upgraded form? He's the Titanic Monarch base itself, and Eggman pilots him as one final giant mech against Super Sonic? That would be a cool finale for both the last Heavy, and for Eggman himself.

Just speculation for now, obviously I can't confirm, but the base looks like the final Heavy and Eggman mashed together, so... could be.

I actually assumed you'd fight the Titanic Monarch, since the first act of the zone is literally just building up to that with the robot in the background.

Oh my, that DOES look like him. Eggman upgrades him like a boss, only for his minions to betray him before the fight starts? Maybe good old Eggy actually aids Sonic in taking him down. That betrayal plot point has to come up somewhere in the game, even if it's overused. Someone with the game collect those damn Emeralds already.:P

Also, I couldn't quite recognize it in the final boss video, but is Little Planet still imprisoned behind the Death Egg? Could this game actually resolve that depressing ending from Sonic 4: Episode 2? How many other bad/unpromising games do they want to connect Mania with?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

Oh my, that DOES look like him. Eggman upgrades him like a boss, only for his minions to betray him before the fight starts? Maybe good old Eggy actually aids Sonic in taking him down. That betrayal plot point has to come up somewhere in the game, even if it's overused. Someone with the game collect those damn Emeralds already.:P

Also, I couldn't quite recognize it in the final boss video, but is Little Planet still imprisoned behind the Death Egg? Could this game actually resolve that depressing ending from Sonic 4: Episode 2? How many other bad/unpromising games do they want to connect Mania with?

Betrayal? Eugh, I hope not.

I want Eggman to maintain his final boss status in his grand return as a classic platformer villain. I see no indication that the Heavies are disloyal, so I'd assume that the final Heavy is still under Eggman's command.

...Unless you know something already. Has a betrayal plot been leaked? I hope it hasn't. It would leave a rather sour aftertaste to an otherwise great presentation.

I'm not a fan of the idea, but I can see it working.

I don't know how easy/hard it is to get the Emeralds in the first run, so it's great for the replay value.

Now not only do you get the Super form and a new ending, but also a better boss.

Sorry for my earlier "hate". I will play the game and review it after.

Wasn't it confirmed they would go rogue on the Sonic Channel website or somewhere else? I swear I read this somewhere about two or three months ago, but hopefully I'm wrong. : P

We really don't need two betrayal plots in one year, since we all know how Infinite will play out. Though I'd we okay if the Heavies betray him but he crushes them for it and uses their parts for the final boss.