Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

17 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

It's much better when all of his own creations at the very least are terrified of him. I couldn't care less if some random God he's dumb enough to set free takes control of the scene, but his own creations screwing him over while he cracks zingers with Sonic?

I'm okay with his creations actually respecting him and following him because they like him too.

Like, genuinely loyal minions could be interesting in their own way, and we so rarely see them with Eggman. He's an intelligent and charismatic leader; One would think at least some of his employ would genuinely admire him.

• Promotion 2

Annoyed at Mania delay, giving up my spoiler embargo. I don't feel like reading all of this thread or actually watching streams online so lay it on me: how many zones, which ones, what's the final boss, are there other animated cutscenes

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Sean said:

Annoyed at Mania delay, giving up my spoiler embargo. I don't feel like reading all of this thread or actually watching streams online so lay it on me: how many zones, which ones, what's the final boss, are there other animated cutscenes

Here is the lowdown.

Spoiler

• Game has two animated cut-scenes (currently); the intro and ending. The intro is more detail-rich while the later is less impressive. Game might have another ending scene if you get all the chaos emeralds; game ends with 'Get all Emeralds' screen upon beating final boss.
  • Final Boss is Eggman in some spider-mech suit; can see how it looks above your post.
  • Game has tweleve stages in total, eight remixed ones, four original ones. 
  • Remixed ones include Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Stardust Speedway, Hydrocity, Flying Battery, Oil Ocean, Metallic Madness, Lava Reef.
  • New Zones include Studiopolis, Marge Saloon, Press Garden, and Titanic Monarch 

•  

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, RK64 said:
  • Game has tweleve stages in total, eight remixed ones, four original ones.
  • Remixed ones include Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Stardust Speedway, Hydrocity, Flying Battery, Oil Ocean, Metalic Madness, Lava Reef.
  • Remixed Zones include Studiopolis, Marge Saloon, Press Garden, and Titanic Monarch 

To be fair, I think there's still one more zone left. I mean, granted it's probably a small one ala Doomsday Zone, but still. I'm curious about the game's good ending.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, SSF1991 said:

To be fair, I think there's still one more zone left. I mean, granted it's probably a small one ala Doomsday Zone, but still. I'm curious about the game's good ending.

I agree, should have mentioned a likely 'extra new zone' for the final boss. Besides, maybe we might get SURPRISED and unlock a hidden zone after completing the final FINAL boss or completing all the blue-sphere challenges.

Thanks. I'll exercise some restraint by avoiding footage of Press Garden and Titanic Monarch, but that final boss looks hilariously amazing. Also, I think that's a good list of remixed zones personally

Just now, Sean said:

Thanks. I'll exercise some restraint by avoiding footage of Press Garden and Titanic Monarch, but that final boss looks hilariously amazing. Also, I think that's a good list of remixed zones personally

I feel it's a very good list honestly. 

Spoiler

Love what they did with Oil Ocean, Stardust Speedway and Metallic Madness specifically. 

Just now, Sean said:

Titanic Monarch...

Imagine if we were playing on the actual Titanic...

Act one is celebratory themed fun...

Act two is catastrophe...

Sonic jumps on the iceberg and survives.

sonicmightyno9twitter.png

• Chuckle 7

HOLY SHIT I DON'T KNOW IF I WANT TO FOLLOW IT OR NOT

EDIT: Ok, I think I'm officially out! See ya in a thread where we discuss what we think of the game after it comes out!

4 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

SUPER SONIC

How in the actual hell did this guy get all the chaos emeralds? Hell, how did he beat the game once?? While it doesn't look like an easy game, if he can beat it, I have high hopes for myself lol. 

Forget how he beat the game, I just want dat soundtrack uploaded.

• Promotion 1

1 minute ago, Sonicfan287 said:

How in the actual hell did this guy get all the chaos emeralds? Hell, how did he beat the game once?? While it doesn't look like an easy game, if he can beat it, I have high hopes for myself lol. 

There's a huge difference between playing a game normally and recording yourself especially if it's a blind run trust me.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Dejimon11 said:

There's a huge difference between playing a game normally and recording yourself especially if it's a blind run trust me.

Well this is true and I'm sure he just went back and played older stages to get the special stage rings and the emeralds. I'm just joking around because after watching him last night, I had no hope of him even reaching the final level. But hey, good for him. Also, on a side note :

Spoiler

Titanic Monarch may legit be the best final level I've ever seen.... I mean, we've seen plenty of Robotnik base type levels but my god is this incredible looking... I'm trying to resist watching too much of it but it's such an epic level and Act2 looks even better! My god I'm glad to see Robotnik has a truly ominous looking base of operations again! 

Well I was going to go to sleep but maybe we'll get something else out of this stream. In the meantime have some Super Sonic screens.

vDLX9gg.png

w5DRZi3.png

IMO, I don't really dig this look but I'm being pretty nitpicky.

7 minutes ago, gato said:

Well I was going to go to sleep but maybe we'll get something else out of this stream. In the meantime have some Super Sonic screens.

Hide contents

vDLX9gg.png

w5DRZi3.png

IMO, I don't really dig this look but I'm being pretty nitpicky.

I'm actually really annoyed that his eyes aren't green.

I don't really want to be spoiled as far as the final final level goes (I'm assuming there is one when you beat the final boss with all 7 emeralds but I'm still holding out hope that it's called "EggMania Zone". Again, I'm calling it now in case it happens. I have no insider knowledge. I'll just be incredibly curious to see if they use that name. To me, it just seems like an obvious choice for a last level for a game like this 

2 minutes ago, Speedi said:

I think that they might be green, but it's a dark shade of green and the poor video quality certainly isn't helping to show that. If I squint my eyes, I think I see them as green.

6 minutes ago, Speedi said:

When were Super Sonics eyes ever green? I only remember them as red in the adventure games 

1 minute ago, Sonicfan287 said:

When were Super Sonics eyes ever green? I only remember them as red in the adventure games 

His Sonic 3&K sprite had green eyes.

superSonic2-sonicxpress.gif~c200

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MainJP said:

His Sonic 3&K sprite had green eyes.

superSonic2-sonicxpress.gif~c200

Wow.... super zoomed in I can kind of make out the 2 green pixels but hey, you're right. Well played. 

6 minutes ago, McGroose said:

I think that they might be green, but it's a dark shade of green and the poor video quality certainly isn't helping to show that. If I squint my eyes, I think I see them as green.

Yeah, I can kinda see what you mean, especially in the second screencap for some reason.