Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

Just now, Sonicfan287 said:

I can't tell if people WANT this game to be linked to Sonic Forces or they don't. I personally don't care either way but it seems like some people are just TRYING to find links to Infinite and Forces while others want nothing to do with it. I personally don't think the games are related but I won't be upset if they are. 

I've come to believe they unknowingly want it to so that they can find something irrational to complain about.

I imagine I'll be taking a lot of piss for that claim.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, The KKM said:

Honestly at this point I want since tbh if it is, there's MORE of a story than the game actually has. Without the Forces element, the story as shown so far is literally just "Eggrobos find purple rock, weird unexplained shit happens for an entire game".

I mean, what do you want the story to be? Lol. Classic Sonic games were rarely about the story. S3&K did the best about having some kind of narrative but even that was pretty light for the most part. Sonic games are more about gameplay than the story with the exception of a few. 

Sure, but the small story they had tended to be cohesive, even if simple. Not literally "Random robots find random thing and random things happen".

EDIT: Not that big a deal, just a bit disappointing.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, McGroose said:

I've come to believe they unknowingly want it to so that they can find something irrational to complain about.

I imagine I'll be taking a lot of piss for that claim.

Sometimes I wonder... because I saw a lot of people leading up to this game saying "I hope it's not linked to Forces, it better not have anything to do with Forces" and now that we've seen some of the story, people are going "Oh look, that could be Infinite, omg, it's happening!" almost like they want it... so I don't know... 

I mean, that's the thing. 3&K did make more of an effort. You'd think the sequel would take that further.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, whoever said it was a collaboration between the bosses seems to be correct? At least Eggman's still here. I don't get if they're both fighting you or if you're fighting them while they fight each other.

na02-mEJR1mIiqRAw8Badg.png

Hah! that's actually pretty funny! I think that while you're fighting both the HBH and Eggman, they're both trying to get their hands on the emerald. Not a really succesful betrayal if it's done like this. I love this idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the purple rock thing is connected to Infinite, I'd rather that connection be established in Forces rather than Mania. 

1 minute ago, Sonicfan287 said:

Sometimes I wonder... because I saw a lot of people leading up to this game saying "I hope it's not linked to Forces, it better not have anything to do with Forces" and now that we've seen some of the story, people are going "Oh look, that could be Infinite, omg, it's happening!" almost like they want it... so I don't know... 

Is like people have different opinions!

I want it to be linked

I will admit, the "purple stone" and purple energy stuff really seems to have no explanation whatsoever and apparently Robotnik just has it. It would've been cool if there was an 8th special stage where you can get it and that would alter the ending as well but apparently Robotnik gets it at the end regardless (until you beat that last boss I'm guessing). Still, it hopefully has a name that will be revealed sometime after release or in a manual or something... I'm not satisfied with "random purple energy". Hell, they could even call it Gaia energy for a little Sonic Unleashed reference. 

At least we can all agree that this player is fucking awful.

I really don't want him to play through the entire level again. D:

Eh, be fair on the idiot. He's doing better than yesterday, and I think multiple game overs on the last boss is warranted.

More than in Oil Ocean at least.

7 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I mean, that's the thing. 3&K did make more of an effort. You'd think the sequel would take that further.

Here's my only gripe as far as the story being kind of arbitrary goes. Just like with the new zones thing (the original reveal trailer said "New Zones" as if that would be at least half the game when really it's more like a third at best), it was somewhat advertised or stated that there would be a story that would explain why Sonic is returning to old zones and there would be cutscenes (even just pantomime type stuff) to explain it and there are a few of those but it is a bit unsatisfying and if they had said from the beginning the game had little to no story I would've been fine with that. It was just the whole build up of "Oh, we'll reveal some of the story later" and kind of building it up like this was going to have some elaborate story when it's just your basic "run through the levels because they're there" kind of thing. 

Something about this final boss didn't feel as grand as it should have felt. 

Is "grand" even the right choice of words? Something feels missing, but I can't pinpoint what. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, MainJP said:

So....Sonic just got sucked into that purple vortex.

Headcanon: 

The purple rock is a bit of time eater that Classic Eggman sent into the past in lieu of himself, to open a gate for the modern version. 

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

So I missed it what happened? 

As Sonic beats Eggman and the Heavy, he and the purple rock are dragged into a portal. The rest of the ending plays like the bad ending, just without Sonic; because as he's shown in the end, he's travelling through a purple void. No guesses as to where to.