Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

I mean, I was finding Mark to be oddly well-behaved today compared to yesterday, but here we go. Hope those of you watching like naked muscly men showering. I'm off :V

1 minute ago, Faber-Of-Wisps-And-Might said:

Classic Eggman probably will appear in Forces. Just to tie this game with Mania. Probably at the end. 

I can see it happening. You start the game as Modern Sonic, and at the end of the first stage a giant special stage ring appears with the background being the purple void from the ending, and Classic Sonic jumps out of it. 

It's fucking happening everyone.

WE'RE IN A TRAIN WITH NO BRAKES BOYS. COLLISION COURSE.

Didn't they say no other classic characters in Forces? 

3 minutes ago, McGroose said:

All you did was go through a void with Little Planet

"FORCES FORCES FORCES FORCES FORCES FORCES FORCES FORCES FORCES"

Give me a reasonable alternative and I'll believe otherwise.

Downer ending in a Sonic game? Sonic lost in the eternal limbo between dimensions with no way to escape? Sounds odd.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Faber-Of-Wisps-And-Might said:

It's fucking happening everyone.

WE'RE IN A TRAIN WITH NO BRAKES BOYS. COLLISION COURSE.

See? Again... I can't tell if this is what we wanted or not lol

Just now, Miru the Living Planet said:

Didn't they say no other classic characters in Forces? 

Classic Eggman appears on goal posts for Classic Sonic in that game, so he's probably involved somehow.

I guess I don't really mind that much that it connects to Forces. Sonic Team and Sega have said before that they want Classic Sonic to have a reason to be alongside Modern Sonic (I think this was when Sumo was thinking of adding Classic to Transformed), so I guess that's why they're using Mania's ending like this.

giphy.gif

Color me disappointed if Sonic being transported to Sonic Forces is the "good" ending for this.

I guess that also means no Hyper Tails/Knuckles in this then?

• Chuckle 3

GIF-bad-luck-bothered-disappointed-it-fi

Yep, looks like Iizuka ruined the plot.

Should've known Sonic Team would be desperate enough to make a colossal side project to "help" sell "their" game by using "fans" to make a "prequel" to "their" game.

I legitimately feel sorry for Whitehead Team now that it's pretty obvious they were used just for this.

The title is still absolutely perfect, don't get me wrong. But now that this is known, yeah. They were used, in many good ways, but also one terrible way.

They suck, so they got people that don't suck to make a game that doesn't suck for their game that will suck.

SEGA-Sense shines, always has and always will.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, AuroraRedwinters said:

giphy.gif

Color me disappointed if Sonic being transported to Sonic Forces is the "good" ending for this.

I guess that also means no Hyper Tails/Knuckles in this then?

In before "There's nothing good about this at all" comments. 

4 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Should've known Sonic Team would be desperate enough to make a colossal side project to "help" sell "their" game by using "fans" to make a "prequel" to "their" game.

I legitimately feel sorry for Whitehead Team now that it's pretty obvious they were used just for this.

The title is still absolutely perfect, don't get me wrong. But now that this is known, yeah. They were used, in many good ways, but also one terrible way.

They suck, so they got people that don't suck to make a game that doesn't suck for their game that will suck.

"Will" is a really strong word lol

I honestly don't care because it makes Classic Sonic a lot more meaningful in Sonic Forces

12 minutes ago, Sonicfan287 said:

I've never seen a game that ends on a somewhat sad note like that. 

I agree it's a sad ending, but what about Sonic Adventure's ending? It pretty much ends with an entire city being flooded; no plot device to fix the damages or anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

That's a bit harsh but it's true in a way... I think Mania was fine as a standalone project but it was Iizuka and Sonic Team who insisted the game have more rehashed levels, most likely so they could make a time travel plot out of it that would tie into Forces and classic Sonic being in the game which was an arbitrary decision to begin with, and has now been used as the official ending to this game. It doesn't make Mania any less great to me, it just would've been nice to see this be its own game and not just a tie in to another game. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 2

It's not played as a sad ending at all, incidentally. Tails and Knuckles look happily as the Little Planet's rescued, Sonic goes off to face his next adventure.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

"Will" is a really strong word lol

Critically it might be average, in the market I'd say "meh" to "lucky" at best, though I still count that as sucking.

3 minutes ago, EmmBee said:

Stop trying to make Sega-sense happen. It isn't happening.

Why so much negativity just because of this ending? Does it really ruin the rest of the game for some people? I just find that kind of petty.

I don't need to try. It's a term I coined based on how they operate. You're welcome to make a term for it of your own.

2 minutes ago, Sonicfan287 said:

That's a bit harsh but it's true in a way... I think Mania was fine as a standalone project but it was Iizuka and Sonic Team who insisted the game have more rehashed levels, most likely so they could make a time travel plot out of it that would tie into Forces and classic Sonic being in the game which was an arbitrary decision to begin with, and has now been used as the official ending to this game. It doesn't make Mania any less great to me, it just would've been nice to see this be its own game and not just a tie in to another game. 

This, all of this. Wholeheartedly agree.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well at least now we know why they've been quiet about Forces this whole time and Classic is essentially Sonic from another dimension. 

I don't think is a sad ending either, the aftermatch could be sad (Tails missing Sonic thinking that he is dead) but we won't see that.

Now I think Classic's not really headed for Forces's world, just out of the picture for an Eggman victory so Infinite can make an illusion of him. 

Maybe this is why the ending animation looks so bad compared to the opening.

Maybe there was something else planned then they enforced the prequel concept resulting in something else slapped together for the ending last minute.

Only a guess though.

1 minute ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

Now I think Classic's not really headed for Forces's world, just out of the picture for an Eggman victory so Infinite can make an illusion of him. 

Yeah but doesn't Robotnik go away too?? That's the part that's confusing me,.... Robotnik (his modern iteration) seems to be the main antagonist of forces (or one of them) but this ending kind of is a setback for both Sonic and Robotnik so how does this set up the good doctor's eventual world domination??

1 minute ago, Sonicfan287 said:

Yeah but doesn't Robotnik go away too?? That's the part that's confusing me,.... Robotnik (his modern iteration) seems to be the main antagonist of forces (or one of them) but this ending kind of is a setback for both Sonic and Robotnik so how does this set up the good doctor's eventual world domination??

Robotnik stays back, only Sonic gets transported.

1 minute ago, Sonicfan287 said:

Don't start thinking too much into it is my suggestion, we're heading into the mess that will be Forces plot now.

Going by Mania, the future doesn't bode well. More "what?" and "why?" than you could imagine is coming.

I like it how when Classic Sonic showed up in Forces people were whining about why he's even there in the first place. Now that we MIGHT actually get a logical reason/tie-in to why he's in Forces people find a way to whine about that too. Can't please everyone I guess ?. Mania looks and sounds awesome BTW

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1