Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

Which is perfect because now we can have both types of games.

I'm haply about the tie-in, but I'm scared to check SSMB when it launches.

I've been thinking it could be that the Sonic, Tails, and Eggman seen in Mania are the ones who went through the events of Generations. Some characters gaining knowledge of the future (even if it's mostly just locations and stuff in this case) does lead to alternate timelines in some time travel stories out there, so that might be what Eggman means about "Classic" being from another dimension now.

Though it's more likely they're just retconning (or, more accurately, ignoring) Generations since I think it's been said outright that they consider "Classic" and "Modern" separate. But to be honest, SEGA's doing so much wild stuff with the series right now that I...actually could see them trying to reconcile all this with Gens somehow, and I think it'd be really easy to do--see the first paragraph. XP

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, DiamondX said:

Which is perfect because now we can have both types of games.

I'm haply about the tie-in, but I'm scared to check SSMB when it launches.

I'm pretty wary of Forces in general, but maybe it'll surprise me.

Sonic has historically not handled "darker" villains and premises very well, with the likes of Black Doom, Mephiles, etc. So I'm not really expecting Infinite to be a particularly compelling villain (plus I'm still convinced that he'll betray Eggman).

Eh, guess we'll see though! My expectations are through the floor, so I can't be disappointed; Only pleasantly surprised.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uhh, bad night's sleep and a dodgy internet connection for an hour. Bloody sucks, but with the Mania stuff died down places like 4chan and here can't have gone that fa--

*Sees what happened*

Well that's just hilarious. 

As someone mentioned before, that probably diminishes the chances of Super Knuckles being a thing because the ending wouldn't really make too much sense with it. Although Sonic & Knuckles pulled the same thing, so eh. 

Also I think this diminishes the chance for any unlockable characters at all if it's not so standalone. 

• Chuckle 2

I like the Forces connection. On one side, I find it, as the kids would put it, "neato burrito". And on the other side, the freak outs will be great. So win-win for me. It's not like the connection seems to get in the way of the game.

That said the ending feels really weak. Seems like there's something missing. Maybe you get another ending when you collect the Emeralds with all characters?

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked the idea of Mania simply being an untold story instead of an alternate timeline thing altogether...

But honestly if that means more Mania games and that Modern Sonic can break away from literally having Classic Sonic then that's cool.

I haven't seen the ending yet but it doesn't sound bad at all. It's largely kept to the very end instead of interfering with the main game.

I didn't expect to see him in Mirage Saloon and suddenly:

DvR8C_.gif

TOOT! TOOOOOT!

Man, I love Eggman's portrayal in this game. They really did an excellent job making him a whimsical, over-the-top villain while still making him competent and dangerous.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 6

6 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

But honestly if that means more Mania games and that Modern Sonic can break away from literally having Classic Sonic then that's cool.

"Before I say goodbye to you, one more last fist bump."

• Chuckle 1

5 minutes ago, molul said:

Is there finally an explanation for revisiting old zones?

Magic stone did it. 

This game is awesome, I hope they will keep this as a separate series and mostly I hope the next game will keep the same physics but with entirely new 2D sprites and animations, to look more like the awesome intro :)

Honestly, this is looking like the best Sonic game in over  two decades. 

Even with the superfluous Forces tie-in, Mania looks like it's almost everything I ever wanted from a Sonic game. I'm definitely on board the "Make Mania an ongoing series" train too.

• Thumbs Up 2

C'mon guys and gals, let's think positive. MAYBE SONIC GOT SUCKED INTO MANIA 2! 

Ah, who am I kidding, it's Forces isn't it? Sonic even does the same pose from the debut trailer. Then there's the drop dash in Forces and Infinite's SFX in Mania. 

It's true I guess. Anyways, now that the Classic series are confirmed as being a different Sonic (not younger self), can we PLEASE have it as second branch? Like what Boom! tried to do, but you know... SUCCESSFULL? Sonic Team can do the eventual cross-over if they want to, I just want more CW-HC-PW Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Jango said:

C'mon guys and gals, let's think positive. MAYBE SONIC GOT SUCKED INTO MANIA 2! 

Ah, who am I kidding, it's Forces isn't it? Sonic even does the same pose from the debut trailer. Then there's the drop dash in Forces and Infinite's SFX in Mania. 

It's true I guess. Anyways, now that the Classic series are confirmed as being a different Sonic (not younger self), can we PLEASE have it as second branch? Like what Boom! tried to do, but you know... SUCCESSFULL? Sonic Team can do the eventual cross-over if they want to, I just want more CW-HC-PW Sonic games.

I'd be fine with that.

The classic series would have consistently high quality, and well... The modern games would be good sometimes? They've always had super varying quality, but an ongoing classic series will at least bring some stability to the Sonic brand.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Honestly, this is looking like the best Sonic game in over  two decades. 

Even with the superfluous Forces tie-in, Mania looks like it's almost everything I ever wanted from a Sonic game. I'm definitely on board the "Make Mania an ongoing series" train too.

I definitely want a Classic series, but I do I hope that next time they refrain from the Zone rehashing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Marcello said:

I definitely want Classic series, but I do I hope that next time they refrain from the Zone rehashing.

Same.

As I understand, that was a Sega mandate, so hopefully now that Whitehead's team has proven themselves with Mania they'll be a little more free to do their own thing next time around!

• Thumbs Up 3

If this isn't a confirmation, it's a very BAD TASTE easter-egg.

They just couldn't let Tax and crew do their game, could they?

This better sell a lot and get great scores to ensure a REAL sequel, *sigh*. (Watch as Iizuka demand a sequel and forces Tax and crew to drop the physics and add the homing attack).

1 minute ago, Jango said:

This better sell a lot and get great scores to ensure a REAL sequel, *sigh*. (Watch as Iizuka demand a sequel and forces Tax and crew to drop the physics and add the homing attack).

If that happens, then Mania 2 will basically just be Sonic 4 again, and not worth glancing at.

Hopefully they won't shoot themselves in the foot like that, though.

...Forces?

...FORCES?!

...FOOORCEEESSS!!!

Oh-ho, this upcoming Tuesday's gonna be one hell of a day! Now I simply wait to play the game...

(Yeah, I decided to semi-spoil the game for myself. Only reading the descriptions, though, no screenshots or videos.)

Maybe at the end of forces, classic sonic returns to his dimension to set the stage 4 mania's sequel. 

Gemoji image for :trollface:

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Jango said:

Yeah, and maybe he'll add Shadow and give Sonic a gun and turn it into a Shadow the Hedgehog sequel because as we all know Iizuka is the actual devil and hates us personally (and Sonic too, I guess).

What an awful easter egg, sharing a pose that came from an existing source anyhow.

LSE5BYP.jpg

So pretty much we're blaming everything we don't like on Iizuka and everything we do like on Taxman then. 

I wonder if anyone's willing to entertain the sheer impossible idea that Taxman didn't at all mind making a connection to two games? 

• Thumbs Up 8

10 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

I wonder if anyone's willing to entertain the sheer impossible idea that Taxman didn't at all mind making a connection to two games? 

I don't think he minded. It's a job and he got paid to do it.

But I also don't think it was something he'd have done on his own either. If left to his own creative vision with no interference, I believe we'd have more (possibly all) original zones, and no connection to Forces whatsoever.

So it's not that I think he minded, but I do think it was definitely a compromise of the creative vision he had for the game. Which is why I hope that in his next game, he'll be more free to steer the ship without Izuka's interference.

Either way, I don't think Izuka hates us or the series, but I do think he usually has awful ideas for it. His track record is pretty bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Jango said:

How paranoid lol It's a neat connection to Forces that doesn't actually hurt Mania at all. I don't understand the anger.

• Thumbs Up 7