Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Man, you REALLY don't want Eggman to be upstaged do you lol.

If I'm not mistaken he has been upstaged more than he has been the main villain at this point, in the main series at least.

2 minutes ago, サイヤ人の王子 said:

Oh come on, that's a rather innocuous connection. 

It doesn't help that the game ends with Sonic being sent into a black hole

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

5 minutes ago, サイヤ人の王子 said:

Lol, I hear Mania is tied to Forces. I'm not sifting through 47 pages to find out if that's true, so can someone confirm? If so, in what way is it tied? Is Infinite in it or something?

The gem used in the plot has the same SFX as infinite's cube in the E3 trailer. The good ending has Sonic stripped of his Super form and dragged into a portal the gem created and makes a pose similar to Force's early reveal (Although in all honesty the moves might be coincidental).

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

It doesn't help that the game ends with Sonic being sent into a black hole

It's not a black hole really. If it were he would have been literally ripped to shreds so much that there wouldn't be a piece of him the size of dust left.

• Promotion 3

18 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Well, the only thing I'm thinking is we might be getting into gore territory with Forces plot where Eggman forced the gem into some poor sap corrupting whoever this person is while doing something to make this person subservient to him.

...Can you hear the tormented screaming from the doctors laboratory as a soul is ripped to shreds by the evil from within...?

"Don't worry, if it kills you I have many more waiting in line..." - Eggman in Forces

-insane laughter as a gruesome cutscene plays-

giphy.gif

...you know what?

I hope that's sorta the case! (Except the gore territory part. is an E+10 game for gods sake lol)

Eggman could be the one who corrupted Infinite when he was a normal guy, but at the same time he gave Infinite those amazing powers, so Infinite respects him even if was Eggman who corrupted him. (Kinda like an abusive relationship plot lol)

So basically he was born with this pain, and this pain persists, but that's what it takes to be Infinite!

HMMMM?

• Chuckle 1

Just now, Joseph Henry said:

...you know what?

I hope that's sorta the case! (Except the gore territory part. is a E+10 game for gods sake lol)

Eggman could be the one who corrupted Infinite when he was a normal guy, but at the same time he gave Infinite those amazing powers, so Infinite respects him even if was Eggman who corrupted him. (Kinda like an abusive relationship plot lol)

"You shoved an evil all-powerful gem into my heart that tortures me constantly but now I too am all-powerful so I will love and obey you."

That's more depressing than my initial idea! XD

Shadow has nothing on a plot like that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

It's not a black hole really. If it were he would have been literally ripped to shreds so much that there wouldn't be a piece of him the size of dust left.

Yeah, It's more of a wormhole.

So guess it's confirmed Mania doesn't take place in the original Classic Sonic timeline(1-3&K) if its tied to Forces, since wasn't if confirmed classic in Forces isn't the same classic from gens/Classic games?

Just now, MainJP said:

Yeah, It's more of a wormhole.

My thoughts.

Plus it's not likely a black hole would just open and shut like that. It would likely remain for a time, expand gradually, suck up a ton of mess, if not maybe the world or more, then kind of explode more than a thousand nukes and destroy whatever it didn't initially suck up.

...SPACE!!!

Nature is one HELL of an SOB.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, watched the ending. Fairly inoffensive IMO. Oh and can Super Sonic actually fly in stages or is that a final boss thing?

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

So guess it's confirmed Mania doesn't take place in the original Classic Sonic timeline(1-3&K) if its tied to Forces, since wasn't if confirmed classic in Forces isn't classic from gens?

Seems to be the case. Mania Sonic seems to be just an alternate timeline Sonic, which is cool because it means more classic games.

(also more Dragon Ball parallels.)

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

There's a huge difference between playing a game normally and recording yourself especially if it's a blind run trust me.

This isn't true, especially if your used to recording something...

12 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So guess it's confirmed Mania doesn't take place in the original Classic Sonic timeline(1-3&K) if its tied to Forces, since wasn't if confirmed classic in Forces isn't the same classic from gens/Classic games?

If anything else, I think it implies the Classic series, which Mania is apart of, takes place in an alternate continuity. Effectively, Modern and Classic are different dimensions with some similarities.

So then what the fuck was Gens and why did modern sonic remember green hill? And why did certain events in Gens happen exactly like in the Classic games? I mean yeah sure maybe the events in modern sonics past happened exactly the same as Classic, but then what's the point in dividing the two?

Now that I’ve had time to process the game’s ending I’m left with a feeling of betrayal. Sega has been marketing Mania as its own main title since the beginning. It looks glorious and I can’t wait to play it, however, unlike 1, 2, 3(&K) and CD I won’t get an epic ending with a feeling of closure.

The true ending to this main title is a cliffhanger and nothing is going to change that. I’m always going to be left with this feeling of an uncompleted story. What makes this worse for me personally is that other fans won’t get that at all because Forces has peaked their interest and they will purchase the game. I won’t however because nothing about Forces has peaked my interests.

So yeah, at the end of the day I’ll be left with an uncompleted narrative because Sega wanted to tie two different styles together. I’m let down but I also know I’m going to love playing Mania.

That’s my two cents.

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So then what the fuck was Gens and why did modern sonic remember green hill?

A retcon? Its not the first time. 

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Generations Classic Sonic is the younger Modern Sonic

Mania Sonic is from another dimension

They live the same adventure until the gem screw things up for Mania Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

well, this at least makes me pretty interested in forces story. you know, how they're gonna reference mania and all the stuff associated with that. i doubt they'll pull it off well, but who knows. though while i don't mind the connection so much, it kinda feels like its not good for mania. none of the other classic games (hell, none of the other games period) had a cliffhanger ending like this. but at the same time, just because its never been done in the series before, doesn't necessarily make it bad. hell, i loved halo 2's cliffhanger ending so at the end of the day, i actually kinda dig this. just hope forces is competent enough to pull the connection off on its end

I have a question? Who the fuck cares about continuity in Sonic the god damn Hedgehog?

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I've already said when SEGA messes with time travel and dimensions it messes things up in general more often than not.

What the hell even is continuity?

1 minute ago, サイヤ人の王子 said:

I have a question? Who the fuck cares about continuity in Sonic the god damn Hedgehog?

A bunch of nerds. i.e., us.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

If anything else, I think it implies the Classic series, which Mania is apart of, takes place in an alternate continuity. Effectively, Modern and Classic are different dimensions with some similarities.

Are we sure it's that? I was thinking Mania Sonic is from a different timeline.

Because the events in the Classic games were directly mentioned in Sonic Adventure:

tumblr_orjr0gpszo1tzzngso1_500.png

tumblr_orjr0gpszo1tzzngso2_500.png

And in Generations that Classic Sonic is treated as a younger version of Modern while the one in Forces is stated to come from another dimension. Seems to me like Mania Sonic and Generations Classic Sonic are two different Sonics.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

A retcon? Its not the first time. 

Just now, MudHunter said:

Generations Classic Sonic is the younger Modern Sonic

Mania Sonic is from another dimension

They live the same adventure until the gem screw things up for Mania Sonic.

But ultimately what's the point in dividing them if they experienced the same shit. It seems completely arbitrary compared to just pulling time travel again 

1 minute ago, MainJP said:

Are we sure it's that? I was thinking Mania Sonic is from a different timeline.

Because the events in the Classic games were directly mentioned in Sonic Adventure:

tumblr_orjr0gpszo1tzzngso1_500.png

tumblr_orjr0gpszo1tzzngso2_500.png

And in Generations that Classic Sonic is treated as a younger version of Modern while the one in Forces is stated to come from another dimension. Seems to me like Mania Sonic and Generations Classic Sonic are two different Sonics.

I did say it's possible they retconned it.

Just now, Dr. Mechano said:

A bunch of nerds. i.e., us.

We're all nerds,  but there comes a time where you have to accept that this series's continuity is an absolute clusterfuck, lol.

• Thumbs Up 2