Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

PSN trophies are now up! Seems that each stage gets its own unique little objective, in addition to some generic ones.

I see Mark's up to Stardust Speedway as Knuckles now. What do you think are the odds that we'll see Metal Knuckles in the boss fight?

It seems six people own the PS4 version. 

Edit: No change to Stardust Speedway Act 2's boss, it's Metal Sonic. 

Okay, now I see how the fight with the little Silver Sonic works, there's no way they could have personalised that for each character.

Maybe it's just the visual lag, but I don't think the "Time" display started flashing at the minute-to-go mark to warn you of a Time Over. If that is the case, do you think they'll change it in a patch?

Well then. Now we know what medals do. 

How many people are going to flip shit if the one of the medals unlocks the homing attack?

Just now, Eggman said:

Metal Sonics phase 2 is kinda strange. Whats with the random spike wall covering the whole screen?

They probably wanted to encourage you to keep running as in the original Stardust Speedway boss, but felt that keeping the original's instant-death laser would be too hard now that you have to hit Metal to win.

So, HOLY SHIT MEDALS GIVE ABILITIES. Kinda strange that Up + Jump doesn't seem to activate it and there's no documentation about it anywhere, though. I really hope this means you can unlock the Instant Shield as a replacement for the Drop Dash! Wonder if the other characters get some unique abilities, too... or even additional characters altogether?

• Thumbs Up 1

Are Time Overs even a thing here? ...Serious question. XP I don't see why they wouldn't be but you never know.

edit: Oh shit, so that's one thing the medals unlock. I wonder just how deep that goes.

Just now, Celestia said:

Are Time Overs even a thing here? ...Serious question. XP I don't see why they wouldn't be but you never know.

Yes. He got one on the Stardust Speedway Act 2 boss first time tonight. 

1 minute ago, A_W said:

They probably wanted to encourage you to keep running as in the original Stardust Speedway boss, but felt that keeping the original's instant-death laser would be too hard now that you have to hit Metal to win.

So, HOLY SHIT MEDALS GIVE ABILITIES. Kinda strange that Up + Jump doesn't seem to activate it and there's no documentation about it anywhere, though. I really hope this means you can unlock the Instant Shield as a replacement for the Drop Dash! Wonder if the other characters get some unique abilities, too... or even additional characters altogether?

Yeah, guess there's still more surprises in store.

Also I'm sorry that I'm so terrible at blue spheres, but at least I'm not banned from SEGA events anymore.

Just now, Celestia said:

yup, just died from one when fighting metal sonic, tricky little bastard

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mark447 said:

Honestly they shouldn't really expect me NOT to leak it, most people who aren't under NDA just wanna share information with others. So to be upset at me is foolish, be upset with Nintendo. I wouldn't have got the game if not for their incompetence when it comes to this kinda thing.,=

You're not wrong. Welcome to SSMB. PLEASE PLEASE do a non SFX 

Spoiler

Press Garden Act 2

That song is amazing! I WANT IT AND I WON'T WAIT TILL Youtube GETS IT! NAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Seriously, ONE single medal out of THIRTY (I think) unlocks an ability.

What the rest is gonna do?! Insta Shield is pretty much confirmed.

Spoiler

*BREATHS* AMY PLAYABLE PLZ

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

2 minutes ago, Eggman said:

Anyone else saw that screenshot of modern sonic in green hill? If its real maybe hes unlocked from medals too

That was a fakery. The creator up and said so. 

A bunch of these medals probably unlock artwork, music, filters, perhaps even game changes, like 16-bit style music or moon gravity. New playable characters would be awesome. The homing attack will be one unlockable skill, I feel it. Hopefully the insta-shield is too. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm wondering the same thing. Do you equip it like the skill shop in Generations? 

Also, I know a lot of people are now wishing for a Sonic 3 Sprite variation.

1 minute ago, Zippo said:

I'm wondering the same thing. Do you equip it like the skill shop in Generations? 

Also, I know a lot of people are now wishing for a Sonic 3 Sprite variation.

I bet there is. And yeah, how do you equip it? 

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

I bet there is. And yeah, how do you equip it? 

We don't know lol

Mark couldn't do the Peel-Out