Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

You guys still doubt the connection isn't real? I've also noticed the similarities between Fist Bump and the final boss' song, but I didn't said anything... 

I think Infinite might be inside the purple gem (like Chaos was inside the Master Emerald), or he's the leader Heavy. Or to top it all, Mephiles...

*Sigh* why did Sonic Team went there?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Just now, Jango said:

You guys still doubt the connection isn't real? I've also noticed the similarities between Fist Bump and the final boss' song, but I didn't said anything... 

I think Infinite might be inside the purple gem (like Chaos was inside the Master Emerald), or he's the leader Heavy. Or to top it all, Mephiles...

*Sigh* why did Sonic Team went there?

Cause Sonic Team

Cause Nakamura

1 minute ago, TargetWatch said:

latest?cb=20150222175933

latest?cb=20140907113302

Ah I thought you meant Infinite by that line. Who has yellow iris and red sclera.

Note that RIGHT before the E3 trailer, in an interview, Iizuka said we might see Chaos again, giving a hint about his return in Forces

However in the same interview he was asked about Mephiles returning and flat out said ''No, he doesn't exist anymore, he was erased and he'll never come back''.

So yeah kinda doubt they're related.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Team wouldn't reference 06 in a serious light. They wouldn't.

They either like to pretend the game never happened, or they'll make fun of it in self-deprecation, as seen in Lego Sonic. Surely they wouldn't make an unironic callback to one of their most reviled games... right?

• Thumbs Up 1

Nah, Infinite isn't Mephilies, similar maybe, but they aren't the same

I'll go with my theory that Infinite was a normal guy corrupted by the power of that purple gem implemented by Eggman.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Sonic Team wouldn't reference 06 in a serious light. They wouldn't.

They either like to pretend the game never happened, or they'll make fun of it in self-deprecation, as seen in Lego Sonic. Surely they wouldn't make an unironic callback to one of their most reviled games... rights?

As if Iizuka hasn't lied before... I've learned to not believe a single thing he says anymore. He's about as reliable as swischeese.

The fact is Infinite is wearing a mask and happens to have the same eye change as Mephiles did.

Not to mention Mephiles was Shun Nakamura's character. He's writing Sonic Forces.

It's not even just the similarities in facial appearance, but his actual abilities. Whenever Mephiles fought someone he'd create multiple, infinite copies of himself.

He also had the tendency to juggle Chaos Emeralds in a lazy eight fashion before creating infinite copies of himself.

Just now, Joseph Henry said:

Nah, Infinite isn't Mephilies, similar maybe, but they aren't the same

I'll go with my theory that Infinite was a normal guy corrupted by the power of that purple gem implemented by Eggman.

I like this idea. He's not a devious eviler-than-Eggman villain who's going to betray him... He's Eggman's victim, and you'll save him by removing the corruption from him, leaving Eggman as the true final antagonist.

One can dream, at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

Note that RIGHT before the E3 trailer, in an interview, Iizuka said we might see Chaos again, giving a hint about his return in Forces

However in the same interview he was asked about Mephiles returning and flat out said ''No, he doesn't exist anymore, he was erased and he'll never come back''.

So yeah kinda doubt they're related.

This. Like I'm not opposed to Mephiles being back but that's SUCH an easy way to get immediate backlash, imo. I doubt they'd do it and I think there may be a connection between the two, but I don't think we'll actually be seeing Mephiles back. 

2 minutes ago, rosedust said:

This. Like I'm not opposed to Mephiles being back but that's SUCH an easy way to get immediate backlash, imo. I doubt they'd do it and I think there may be a connection between the two, but I don't think we'll actually be seeing Mephiles back. 

Not really, cause for all the flak 06 got people actually liked Mephiles as a villain.

Just now, TargetWatch said:

Not really, cause for all the flak 06 got people actually liked Mephiles as a villain.

Uhhhh, where exactly? From what I know, he got pretty poor reception.

Honestly, if you ask me, the reason why Forces is giving so many 06 vibes isn't a direct relation to it, but  basically because Nakamura's probably trying to redeem himself.

As in, he's aware of how much 06's plot sucked and wants to give another go to that concept, only removing most of the stuff that didn't work and keeping what he thinks did or can work in the story. 

3 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

As if Iizuka hasn't lied before...

The fact is Infinite is wearing a mask and happens to have the same eye change as Mephiles did.

Not to mention Mephiles was Shun Nakamura's character. He's writing Sonic Forces.

If Iizuka lying before invalidates his word then anyone in a non-disclosure agreement should ever be trusted. 

Having the same eye as Mephiles doesn't mean much, it can just be a red herring, besides, if he WERE to be Mephiles, they wouldn't show his eye, because any mystery about his character dies right there, as it'd be a dead giveaway it's him. It's way too obvious.

Shun Nakamura also made Elise so by your logic he has the same chances of being Elise as he has of being Mephiles.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, rosedust said:

Uhhhh, where exactly? From what I know, he got pretty poor reception.

Where? The internet, where else?

Beats me as to why. Mephiles was about as inspired as Black Doom, with an equally generic personality.

Which, given that, I can understand why people think he was something to do with Infinite.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

Honestly, if you ask me, the reason why Forces is giving so many 06 vibes isn't a direct relation to it, but  basically because Nakamura's probably trying to redeem himself.

As in, he's aware of how much 06's plot sucked and wants to give another go to that concept, only removing most of the stuff that didn't work and keeping what he thinks did or can work in the story. 

If Iizuka lying before invalidates his word then anyone in a non-disclosure agreement should ever be trusted. 

Having the same eye as Mephiles doesn't mean much, it can just be a red herring, besides, if he WERE to be Mephiles, they wouldn't show his eye, because any mystery about his character dies right there, as it'd be a dead giveaway it's him. It's way too obvious.

Shun Nakamura also made Elise so by your logic he has the same chances of being Elise as he has of being Mephiles.

Like I said it's not just the fact they have the same eye colour transition from yellow to green, but cause of things like this as well...

• Thumbs Up 1

Damn, watch the staff credits and notice that the game's creation itself consists in actively 12 people. These guys pulled a miracle.

As for Mephiles coming back, I don't doubt anything anymore...

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

Like I said it's not just the fact they have the same eye colour transition from yellow to green, but cause of things like this as well...

I don't see any relation other than the two opening their arms to do an attack.

Which by itself isn't something exclusive to Mephiles, even in this franchise.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Beats me as to why. Mephiles was about as inspired as Black Doom, with an equally generic personality.

Which, given that, I can understand why people think he was something to do with Infinite.

Meh, that's your opinion. Though to me villains like Mephiles don't really usually have a personality. Mephiles to me is simply the embodiment of evil.

1 minute ago, Ratcicle King said:

I don't see any relation other than the two opening their arms to do an attack.

Which by itself isn't something exclusive to Mephiles, even in this franchise.

Not even the infinite symbolism just before Mephiles create infinite copies of himself?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

Where? The internet, where else?

Yeah uh, that's your opinion, honestly from what I've seen, many, including people here, agree Mephiles was one of the worst parts of 06.

• Thumbs Up 2

Though to me villains like Mephiles don't really usually have a personality.

I mean, to be fair, that's exactly what I was arguing.

The difference is that you like that about him, while I find that it makes him a really unengaging character.

But we do agree that he doesn't really have much in the way of personality.

1 minute ago, Ratcicle King said:

Yeah uh, that's your opinion, honestly from what I've seen, many, including people here, agree Mephiles was one of the worst parts of 06.

Well that makes us even.

5 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

Not even the infinite symbolism just before Mephiles create infinite copies of himself?

That would imply whoever wrote 06 had the foresight that 11 years from that point, they'd make a villain called Infinite, who'd turn out to be Mephiles, and then would be foreshadowed here in an extremely vague motion made by two emeralds that was never mentioned by anyone.

But even if you want to go by that logic, Infinite's prototype name was ''Zero'' so the infinite correlation wasn't something they planned from the get go.