Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

16 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I mean, to be fair, that's exactly what I was arguing.

The difference is that you like that about him, while I find that it makes him a really unengaging character.

But we do agree that he doesn't really have much in the way of personality.

That's fair. We just have different interpretations on what can or can't be engaging. To me Mephiles wasn't engaging in the traditional sense, but he was engaging enough for me in a embodiment of evil kind of sense. He was quite a twisted and sadistic character and that emptyness to him made him feel more eerie as well as dead, it was how far they went with the character that made him interesting to me personally. He's probably one of the most evil character's I've ever witnessed in a video-game.

12 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

That would imply whoever wrote 06 had the foresight that 11 years from that point, they'd make a villain called Infinite, who'd turn out to be Mephiles, and then would be foreshadowed here in an extremely vague motion made by two emeralds that was never mentioned by anyone.

But even if you want to go by that logic, Infinite's prototype name was ''Zero'' so the infinite correlation wasn't something they planned from the get go.

You mean Shun Nakamura? Director of Sonic 06 as a whole? Same guy writing Forces?

If you ask me it's as if Shun has simply revisted one of his infamous character's.

Also, it's not just the emeralds. It's the fact it's the infinity symbol and it just, so happens just before Mephiles creates infinite copies of himself...

6 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

You mean Shun Nakamura? Director of Sonic 06 as a whole? Same guy writing Forces?

If you ask me it's as if Shun has simply revisted one of his infamous character's.

Also, it's not just the emeralds. It's the fact it's the infinity symbol and it just, so happens before Mephiles creates infinite copies of himself...

...You're missing the point here.

You know just going ''Shun Nakamura wrote this'' doesn't validate it that much right? He worked on other stuff, just being involved in 06's writing doesn't automatically means he's tying it to this game.

And the whole ''infinite copies'' is just grasping at straws, honestly, going by that logic I can argument ''Sonic has collected an infinite amount of rings so he must be Infinite''.

30 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Beats me as to why. Mephiles was about as inspired as Black Doom, with an equally generic personality.

Which, given that, I can understand why people think he was something to do with Infinite.

Didn't someone say it was due to his voice? If Black doom sounded like him, we would get fanfics about Amy becoming the Black Arms Queen.

9 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

...You're missing the point here.

You know just going ''Shun Nakamura wrote this'' doesn't validate it that much right? He worked on other stuff, just being involved in 06's writing doesn't automatically means he's tying it to this game.

And the whole ''infinite copies'' is just grasping at straws, honestly, going by that logic I can argument ''Sonic has collected an infinite amount of rings so he must be Infinite''.

How is it straw-grasping?

Mephiles juggles two Chaos Emeralds in lazy eight fashion (Infinity.) specifically and whilst he does this he creates infinite copies of himself...

I fail to see which straws are being grasped here?

Plus, isn't Solaris itself infinite in the literal sense? The begnning and the end?

A super-dimensional being that could control the past and future?

6 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

Didn't someone say it was due to his voice? If Black doom sounded like him, we would get fanfics about Amy becoming the Black Arms Queen.

Yeah, I didn't like Dan Green all that much either...

But dat fanfic WTF...

• Thumbs Up 1

Because you're looking for symbolism where there isn't.

Mephiles juggling the emeralds in an infinite symbol means whoever storyboarded the scene (Which fyi wouldn't be Nakamura) wanted it to look cool

Mephiles didn't make infinite copies of himself, infinite is a never ending number. Shadow defeated all the copies, so no, it wasn't an infinite number of copies.

And once again. Infinite wasn't even his original name, he was Zero, which breaks all connections you've previously stablished.

The way you're saying it implies Shun Nakamura decided to bring Mephiles back, looked at that one random scene where Mephiles played with the Chaos Emeralds, then made a bunch of copies of himself, and made an entire concept for his return out of that.

Either that or you're implying he planned for Mephiles' return way back then, which again, implies 11 years of foresight on this random foreshadowing.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

Meh, even if Infinite's not Mephiles, he might as well be.

He's a dark, floating, vaguely Sonic-shaped character who goes on sinister soliloquies about how evil and powerful he is.

"Official" callback or not, he's still essentially Mephiles in all but name.

• Thumbs Up 3

So backing off from the Mephiles thing for a bit. In Mania we got a scene at the beginning where a bunch of eggrobos were just trying to get the new mc guffin and they end up turning into the Hard Boiled Heavies, all with different kinds of skills. With this in mind, could there be a chance that...

All the past antagonists we are fighting in forces are also just regular robots or something else that got warped by the gem?

I should remind you that one of the heavies could transform into THE BOYS at will.

It's kinda funny how the Mania spoilers thread is turning into Forces speculation. Also, the fact that Sonic can learn new moves in Mania kinda implies that he might be able to learn them in Forces too which is pretty neat.

24 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

Because you're looking for symbolism where there isn't.

Mephiles juggling the emeralds in an infinite symbol means whoever storyboarded the scene (Which fyi wouldn't be Nakamura) wanted it to look cool

Mephiles didn't make infinite copies of himself, infinite is a never ending number. Shadow defeated all the copies, so no, it wasn't an infinite number of copies.

And once again. Infinite wasn't even his original name, he was Zero, which breaks all connections you've previously stablished.

The way you're saying it implies Shun Nakamura decided to bring Mephiles back, looked at that one random scene where Mephiles played with the Chaos Emeralds, then made a bunch of copies of himself, and made an entire concept for his return out of that.

Either that or you're implying he planned for Mephiles' return way back then, which again, implies 11 years of foresight on this random foreshadowing.

Look...

Mephiles + symbolising infinity = Infinite copies of himself.

I shouldn't have needed to write it like that, but you're in denial if you're sincerely trying to claim the use of infinity isn't symbolism there.

Shadow defeated copies of Mephiles cause video-game, doesn't mean he hadn't the ability to make more. (In fact he uses this ability 3 times throughout 06.) Only, that it was a boss that needed to be defeated in two instances.

This is grasping at straws.

Also, I said nothing about Mephiles's name being Infinite, only that he, esspecially Solaris could be interpreted as infinite in the literal sense of what it was they were.

1 minute ago, gato said:

So backing off from the Mephiles thing for a bit. In Mania we got a scene at the beginning where a bunch of eggrobos were just trying to get the new mc guffin and they end up turning into the Hard Boiled Heavies, all with different kinds of skills. With this in mind, could there be a chance that...

Hide contents

All the past antagonists we are fighting in forces are also just regular robots or something else that got warped by the gem?

I should remind you that one of the heavies could transform into THE BOYS at will.

It's kinda funny how the Mania spoilers thread is turning into Forces speculation. Also, the fact that Sonic can learn new moves in Mania kinda implies that he might be able to learn them in Forces too which is pretty neat.

That's an interesting idea. And look, Eggman has four returning villains in Forces, five if you include Infinite.

Five is also the number of Hard-Boiled Heavies.

Maybe they got warped through space and time and somehow took on the forms of Chaos, Shadow, Metal Sonic, and Zavok? With the leader Heavy fusing with the gem and becoming "Infinite?"

8 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

That's an interesting idea. And look, Eggman has four returning villains in Forces, five if you include Infinite.

Five is also the number of Hard-Boiled Heavies.

Maybe they got warped through space and time and somehow took on the forms of Chaos, Shadow, Metal Sonic, and Zavok? With the leader Heavy fusing with the gem and becoming "Infinite?"

Or they could be an illusion, I mean doesn't Chaos and Metal Sonic flicker in the trailer?

We know Infinite's theme song references illusions in the chorus. I reckon it may have something to do with those cubes of his.

Sonic Team dropped a hint.

The cubes turn a dark red during the chorus?

Almost as if Infinite is controlling the environment around him with them.

4 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

Look...

Mephiles + Symbolising infinity = Infinite copies of himself.

I shouldn't have needed to write it like that, but you're in denial if you're sincerely trying to claim the use of infinity isn't symbolism there.

Shadow defeated copies cause video-game, doesn't mean he hadn't the ability to make more. Only, that it was a boss that needed to be defeated.

This is grasping at straws.

Also, I said nothing about Mephiles's name being Infinite, only that he, esspecially Solaris could be interpreted as infinite in the literal sense.

So uh anyways, did anyone else hear Fist Bump's main riff on the final boss theme? I thought at least the main riff was clearly inspired by it.

6 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

So uh anyways, did anyone else hear Fist Bump's main riff on the final boss theme? I thought at least the main riff was clearly inspired by it.

Hasn't this more or less already been pointed out a few pages back?

Hm, interesting that in every Sonic anniversary title since 2006 Eggman f**ks with time or another dimensions. Coincidence ? Definitely not.

2 minutes ago, superman43 said:

Hm, interesting that in every Sonic anniversary title since 2006 Eggman f**ks with time or another dimensions. Coincidence ? Definitely not.

Only one coincidence... Nakamura.

Though I'm personally hoping Sonic Forces is an illusion created by Infinite and that there's no other dimension, but Infinite's illusion are what the character's are mistaking for a different dimension.

Just now, Rodx said:

Why if infinity have some connection to Tails ?  

Miles per hour becomes Infinity ?

this is my definitive theory now .

Needs a little work :P

Though a bad future tails would be interesting.

Just now, Rodx said:

Why if infinity have some connection to Tails ?  

Miles per hour becomes Infinity ?

this is my definitive theory now .

that´s what I thought too... Tails from yet another dimension xD

Just now, TargetWatch said:

Needs a little work :P

Though a bad future tails would be interesting.

Maybe Mania's Tails ending hints at that ?

1 minute ago, Joseph Henry said:

my opinion.

All of those are wrong lol, Infinite is just a guy who got corrupted

All is fair in theory and war :P

Though illusions in particular seem to be a pretty big thing if the theme song of Infinite has anything to say.

• Nice Smile 1

Anyway let´s forget about Infinite at all as this is Sonic Mania forum... 

Zones:

Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Studiopolis, Flying Battery, Press Garden, Stardust Speedway, Hydrocity, Mirage Saloon, Oil Ocean, Lava Reef, Metallic Madness, Titanic Monarch

I don´t think that Metallic Madness was originally planned... you come to Little Planet only to get back to Angel Island and coming back to Little Planet after 4 zones ? No way.

Mephiles was some time thing, right? And with time things end. Which kind of goes against the name Infinite. 

And for a more confident argument: SEGA isn't gonna bring back Mephiles.

24 minutes ago, superman43 said:

20 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

Only one coincidence... Nakamura.

Though I'm personally hoping Sonic Forces is an illusion created by Infinite and that there's no other dimension, but Infinite's illusion are what the character's are mistaking for a different dimension.

Nakamura didn't write Generations and Forces isn't an anniversary title.

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

Mephiles was some time thing, right? And with time things end. Which kind of goes against the name Infinite. 

And what is it ? With Mania advertised as late anniversary titles... 

7 minutes ago, Marcello said:

He doesn't need to, there's no guarantee that Generations isn't about to be retconned. Also, being one who could control time and space is actually the very meaning of infinite.

7 minutes ago, superman43 said:

Anyway let´s forget about Infinite at all as this is Sonic Mania forum... 

Zones:

Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Studiopolis, Flying Battery, Press Garden, Stardust Speedway, Hydrocity, Mirage Saloon, Oil Ocean, Lava Reef, Metallic Madness, Titanic Monarch

I don´t think that Metallic Madness was originally planned... you come to Little Planet only to get back to Angel Island and coming back to Little Planet after 4 zones ? No way.

The amount of non-original stages here is very disappointing.

Even if there is a story reason, this is lame.