Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

5 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Before we drop the subject of Infinite and Mephiles....

The thing is that, I really don't want to believe that Infinite is Mephiles, he had his moments, but they were minor, and just evil for the sake of being evil.

Infinite being a normal guy who wanted to be better somehow, and Eggman offering the those powers from the gem to him, in exchange of losing everything else and turning Infinite into his minion, and forcing to obey and respect him (somehow).

Something like this, (depending on the execution) could work really well. Making Infinite one of the best villians in the series, and at the same time making Eggman above him even if Infinite is all powerful, because we never saw Eggman ruining someone's life in the games. (In the comics but not in the games) Eggman is comical, he is goofy, but he is still evil.

Infinite seems to be in control if you ask me, those cubes are the source to everything that'll happen in Sonic Forces.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

...I thought this was a Mania topic/

Before you shoot yourself, you may want to know Sonic Mania may be a prequel to Sonic Forces...

You may fire when ready...

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

...I thought this was a Mania topic/

Mania is connected to Forces, so we can't help it.

7 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

He doesn't need to, there's no guarantee that Generations isn't about to be retconned. Also, being one who could control time and space is actually the very meaning of infinite.

The amount of non-original stages here is very disappointing.

Even if there is a story reason, this is lame.

I believe it would make much more sense if the zone order was:
Green Hill -> Chemical Plant -> Studiopolis -> Flying Battery -> Mirage Saloon -> Press Garden -> Oil Ocean -> Hydrocity -> Lava Reef -> Stardust Speedway ...

Just now, superman43 said:

I believe it would make much more sense if the zone order was:
Green Hill -> Chemical Plant -> Studiopolis -> Flying Battery -> Mirage Saloon -> Press Garden -> Oil Ocean -> Hydrocity -> Lava Reef -> Stardust Speedway ...

Not talking about the zone order,  just the lack of original stages in general. Fuck sake Sonic Team... Why couldn't you've just let Whitehead do his own thing?

Just now, TargetWatch said:

Not talking about the zone order,  just the lack of original stages in general. Fuck sake Sonic Team... Why couldn't you've just let Whitehead do his own thing?

Wasn't it already established that the original plan was to only make it a few stages with the other remaster bundles anyway? Or am I missing something?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

Infinite seems to be in control if you ask me, those cubes are the source to everything that'll happen in Sonic Forces.

Before you shoot yourself, you may want to know Sonic Mania may be a prequel to Sonic Forces...

You may fire when ready...

4 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Mania is connected to Forces, so we can't help it.

Yea, but we're not even talking about Mania at all anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Jetronic said:

Wasn't it already established that the original plan was to only make it a few stages with the other remaster bundles anyway? Or am I missing something?

Not from what I recall. Plus I heard it was Iizuka's bright idea to have re-imagined stages at this rate. Guess he learned nothing from Sonic 4...

Can SEGA just knock that hack down a peg or two?

It's quite clear that Yuji Naka was the brains behind Adventure era, not Iizuka...

He's shown he can't even ensemble a concrete vision.

4 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Exactly. There's already an Infinite theory thread for that type of discussion. Back to Mania.

Really hoping for a hard mode or mirror mode!

5 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Well...

We are waiting to see what more the medals unlock. Besides Debug Mode, mean bean mode, and... "and Knuckles" mode (?)

2 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Exactly. There's already an Infinite theory thread for that type of discussion.

I'm disappointed how there's only 4 new zones... I predict people not taking too kindly to that and neither should they. This is getting ridiculous now...

Sonic Team are becoming consumed by nostalgia.

Infinite is alt-Avatar character, corrupted by Eggman using the Purple gem. That's my theory.

Like what I've seen from the Mania leaks, though I chose not to watch too much of it. Linking the games doesn't bother me that much since it was confined to story, it didn't change the gameplay of Mania at all. Then again, I'm rather optimistic on Forces so my opinion would be different from those who are negative on the game.

3 minutes ago, Crazizzle said:

Infinite is alt-Avatar character, corrupted by Eggman using the Purple gem. That's my theory.

Like what I've seen from the Mania leaks, though I chose not to watch too much of it. Linking the games doesn't bother me that much since it was confined to story, it didn't change the gameplay of Mania at all. Then again, I'm rather optimistic on Forces so my opinion would be different from those who are negative on the game.

I'm still negative on it, it looks like it'll redefine the meaning of cluster-fuck.

There's just no concrete vision there, it feels flimsy and as if it cannot decide which audience it wants.

When you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one.

Let's drop the Infinite subject here, and move to the Infinite topic:

But remember to hide any type of Mania spoilers.

12 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

Not from what I recall. Plus I heard it was Iizuka's bright idea to have re-imagined stages at this rate. Guess he learned nothing from Sonic 4...

This might help

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Jetronic said:

This might help

Seriously Iizuka... GET LOST!!!

Quit being CEO of Sonic Team and give the position to someone who actually gives a dam...

Is his fault that Mania has reimagined stages.

But is also thanks to him that Mania (A new Classic Sonic game, something that people wanted since 20 years ago) exists in the first place.

12 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Is his fault that Mania has reimagined stages.

But is also thanks to him that Mania (A new Classic Sonic game, something that people wanted since 20 years ago) exists in the first place.

Aye, Sonic Team is on crash course for the nearest ocean with this idiot in charge. People are already getting angry at Classic Sonic being in Forces... They're going to be furious when they find out Mania is simply a prequel to Sonic Forces. And good cause hopefully it'll get Sonic Team to finally pull its head out of its arse before it becomes forever stuck... If they want to maintain relevance then they need to create multiple development pillars like Nintendo does. Instead of wasting their time creating hap-hazard messes like Sonic Forces.

• Nice Smile 1

I don't get why people are annoyed about the connection.

I though you guys didn't care about the story.

3 minutes ago, DiamondX said:

I don't get why people are annoyed about the connection.

I though you guys didn't care about the story.

Cause it makes zero sense... You can't have the same character with completely separate designs in the same room as each-other and expect people to just go with it. Besides, gameplay wise Classic Sonic will suck in Sonic Forces compared to Mania... (I'm looking forward to all those automated S-tubes and blocky terrain...  As well as the lack of momentum based physics...)

I want to point this out.

Not only does Infinite's design callback to Mephiles, his powers are exactly the same as Mephiles as well.

Time and reality distorting as well as the power to influence how gravity works.

You can also notice how in Mania attacks omitted from the gem is circular in nature, akin to the giant round eyes from the final part of 06.

You could make a stretch and say the sky during the final boss is everybody being sucked into the same void from the end of 06 as well.

Have fun with this.

Spoiler

Studiopolis, Mirage Saloon, Press Garden, Titanic Monarch (New)

Green Hill (Sonic 1)

Chemical Plant, Oil Ocean (Sonic 2)

Hydrocity (Sonic 3) Flying Battery, Lava Reef (Sonic & Knuckles)

Stardust Speedway, Metallic Madness (Sonic CD)

12 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

Cause it makes zero sense... You can't have the same character with completely separate designs in the same room as each-other and expect people to just go with it.

This isn't even new to Sonic games let alone the franchise, or other games, or any kind of fiction.

Multiverse theory, time travel, or just buggering with the artstyles... 

DC, Marvel, Disney, even Star Wars, this is nothing at all special.

9 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I want to point this out.

Not only does Infinite's design callback to Mephiles, his powers are exactly the same as Mephiles as well.

Time and reality distorting as well as the power to influence how gravity works.

Overpowered time bending characters have similar abilities, yes. Can't really do much with that concept.

In terms of design he does look like Mephiles but the powers aren't the same, Infinite is more like Time Eater. 

You can also notice how in Mania attacks omitted from the gem is circular in nature, akin to the giant round eyes from the final part of 06.

Do you really think that's not stretching? "When they attack, circles come out... and like with Mephiles!" Circles coming out is like the most basic representation of power. Honestly Infinite's having more in common with ZA WARUDO than Mephiles.

Spoiler

and Mania totally stole The World's sound effect and it's awesome.

You could make a stretch and say the sky during the final boss is everybody being sucked into the same void from the end of 06 as well.

That's a pretty big stretch, yeah. Voids are voids. Can't be "the same void" because they're voids. '06's void also was bits and pieces of the previous levels too.

But guys, seriously. This is the Mania thread. Let's talk about Mania. Okay?

I'll start. Did anyone listen to the final boss music? It totally sounds like

Spoiler

It has a similar rift to Fist Bump. Mania x Forces Forever!!

1 minute ago, NoKaine said:
  Reveal hidden contents

and Mania totally stole The World's sound effect and it's awesome.

But guys, seriously. This is the Mania thread. Let's talk about Mania. Okay?

Mania is the prequel to Forces, thus we ARE discussing Mania, that is a thing now and there's no changing it, Forces is now relevant to mania thus relevant to its threads. Might as well get used to it. This happens with bad decisions.

1 minute ago, NoKaine said:

This isn't even new to Sonic games let alone the franchise, or other games, or any kind of fiction.

Multiverse theory, time travel, or just buggering with the artstyles... 

DC, Marvel, Disney, even Star Wars, this is nothing at all special.

Overpowered time bending characters have similar abilities, yes. Can't really do much with that concept.

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with the same character having two completely different designs in the same story.