Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

9 minutes ago, blueneedlemouse said:
  Hide contents

Studiopolis, Mirage Saloon, Press Garden, Titanic Monarch (New)

Green Hill (Sonic 1)

Chemical Plant, Oil Ocean (Sonic 2)

Hydrocity (Sonic 3) Flying Battery, Lava Reef (Sonic & Knuckles)

Stardust Speedway, Metallic Madness (Sonic CD)

Spoiler

Here's the exact Zone Order in Mania Mode:

1. Green Hill Zone (Sonic 1)
  2. Chemical Plant Zone (Sonic 2)
  3. Studiopolis Zone *NEW*
  4. Flying Battery Zone (Sonic & Knuckles)
  5. Press Garden Zone *NEW*
  6. Stardust Speedway Zone (Sonic CD)
  7. Hydrocity Zone (Sonic 3)
  8. Mirage Saloon Zone *NEW*
  9. Oil Ocean Zone (Sonic 2)
  10. Lava Reef Zone (Sonic & Knuckles)
  11. Metallic Madness Zone (Sonic CD)
  12. Titanic Monarch Zone *NEW*

49 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Mania is the prequel to Forces, thus we ARE discussing Mania, that is a thing now and there's no changing it, Forces is now relevant to mania thus relevant to its threads. Might as well get used to it. This happens with bad decisions.

No, you're using Mania as a proxy to complain about Forces. You're not talking about what Mania is doing, you're talking about what Forces is doing. Nevermind you're putting all of your issues with Forces too. Mania only exists as a bludgeon on Forces. There is no actual interest in the connection, it's just yet another complaint about how awful Forces is, look, it even ruined Mania!

Infinite as a character doesn't exist in Mania, so comparing him to Mephiles here makes no  sense. If a person who's never seen Forces but played Mania gets into this thread, they'd have no idea who this "Infinite" guy is or why the game has anything to do with this other game they never heard about or what any of you are talking about.

49 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with the same character having two completely different designs in the same story.

Did you... did you not play Generations then?

And yes, that does have something to do with what you're saying: Earth-2 of the DC Universe was made to explain why, among other things, modern Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman looked similar with similar origins, but had different Green Lanterns and Flashes, and Earth-2 regularly crosses over with every other universe.

To make this meta, there are shows and movies that have their sequels recast characters but when they have flashbacks they have the old actor as the same character.

Let me put it this way: Action Movie has Stallone plays Buff Hardback, but in Action Movie 2 Buff Hardback is recasted as Keanu Reeves. BUT, when Action Movie 2 flashes back to Action Movie, Stallone is Hardback (because archive footage), despite Reeves being Hardback now. And yes, they want you to accept this with no problem.

This happens a lot. In-story and out. This isn't new, or even that confusing.

Classic and Modern were created in acknowledgement of the two's drastically different design philosophies and settings, while still accepting them as part of the same series. That is why they are considered separate enough to co-exist, but not enough to be different characters. It's a similar thought to why "Adventure" Sonic isn't in Generations, because he's not different enough from Modern to be in the same.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just a reminder to those living in the southern hemisphere/Oceania.

The game should be up in your area in the next 18 hours or so. 

Just wanna say

The first credits theme (8:20) is probably my favorite credits theme from a Sonic game.

Spoiler

Is just so cheerful, is a mix of Sonic Heroes and Mario Kart 8.

55 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with the same character having two completely different designs in the same story.

Say hello to Doctor Who.

five-doctors-rifftrax-doctor-who.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Adamis said:

Say hello to Doctor Who.

five-doctors-rifftrax-doctor-who.jpg

How did I forget Doctor Who? That would've been a much easier comparison.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question. What is your favorite track from Mania? Mine is Titanic Monarch Act 1 and Staff Roll 1

I've been working a guide for Sonic Mania and I realized that a lot of the old and new Badniks and Bosses either have names that don't make sense in English or have remained nameless for all these years (like all of the Metallic Madness Zone Badniks).

Now I do like to be creative and come up with nicknames for some of them, while sticking to rules set up by other Official Badnik Names, but sometimes I can't come to a final decision between 2 or more ideas.

Take this beautiful weapon of destruction:

scd-mm-objectsimg26.png

I thought of the names: "Saw Beetle" or "Bug Saw" (Buzzsaw wouldn't work because then you'd have to find a way to contrast between actual Buzzsaws and the Badnik)

Or this guy

scd-mm-objectsimg28.png

For him I thought of the names "Mover" or "Carrier"

Should I just do a Badnik/Boss Naming Contest to get better ideas and have people vote on them or should I just flip a coin and use a random generator to come to a decision?

scd-mm-objectsimg31.png

Someone came up with the name "Firefry" for this one which I thought was good.

W

2 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Question. What is your favorite track from Mania? Mine is Titanic Monarch Act 1 and Staff Roll 1

I really like Mirage Saloon

Just now, blueneedlemouse said:

W

Studiopolis is also great

4 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

1 minute ago, blueneedlemouse said:

W

Studiopolis is also great

I like many tracks from Mania... but what I appreciate the most is Oil Ocean Act 2... that Arabic remix... 

8 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Studiopolis remains in my head.

I also like the first trailer's music and the intro music.

Did anyone post about unlockables yet? Because the Retro forums are talking about

Spoiler

The Insta-Shield, Peel-Out, Mean Bean Machine, Sonic & Knuckles as a player option, Debug Mode being unlocked through Blue Sphere.

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Has he tried Tails & Knuckles as a possibility?

It's just "& Knuckles Mode" so maybe?

W92wtrQ.png

KNOCK KNOCK ITS KNUCKLES

I'm gonna assume Metal Sonic is one of the unlockable characters. His "unlocking message" will be "STRANGE ISN'T IT?". So is Amy, with the message saying "Have no fear!".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

I'm gonna assume Metal Sonic is one of the unlockable characters. His "unlocking message" will be "STRANGE ISN'T IT?". So is Amy, with the message saying "Have no fear!".

I'm giggling just thinking about that

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Jango said:

If that was true what would be Stardust Speedway Act 2 Boss for him...

After watching the Mania final boss on the video further up the page I realised something in the first half of the fight (the non Super part)

Spoiler

The music is actually a remix of Fist Bump from Forces. Or at least a part of it.

Don't know if that's been mentioned on here yet.

10 minutes ago, superman43 said:

If that was true what would be Stardust Speedway Act 2 Boss for him...

STRANGER isn't it?

29 minutes ago, Jango said:

I'd love to see that since Metal is my favorite sonic character