Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

I just want Amy. She deserves to be in Mania so she is finally playable in a main Classic Sonic game ;_;

• Thumbs Up 3

I am realizing even more than before how much the transporting of Sonic as a result of the good/complete ending will allow for a new storyline to happen.  It's possible for example that Sonic will remerge teleported somewhere unfamiliar on the planet.  Tails may be needing to defend against a new threat near to home, while Knuckles may go to find Sonic, and, Sonic may find himself asked to help in the new area that he encounters!  Eventually of course their story arcs would merge! It is a very much a blessing in disguise!!

2 hours ago, Adamis said:

Say hello to Doctor Who.

five-doctors-rifftrax-doctor-who.jpg

That's different, Sonic started off as just one... Plus Time Lords can alter their appearance to cheat death...

2 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

That's different, Sonic started off as just one... Plus Time Lords can alter their appearance to cheat death...

So what ? The Doctor is still the same each incarnation.

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with the same character having two completely different designs in the same story.

My point stands.

• Thumbs Up 1

im the odd goose out but id love for infinite to be mephiles. only villain in the serious to actually kill the hero though he went about it the long way he did what he sought to do.

I haven't posted my opinions on everything so I thought I'd go ahead and do that. 

I ordered the PC version (RIP) and watched the stream. Watching it, there were a lot of cool neat little references here and there. The whole crew put a lot of little details in and that was super cool! Good job to them! But to be honest, some of the level designs felt a bit... lazier than the rest. What I mean is, (using Hydrocity as an example) some parts were just straight up copy and pasted at times and it frustrated me. This game was promoted as a NEW 2D EXPERIENCE and how I saw it was, act 1 was for playing through the original levels with a few new tricks while act 2 was supposed to MESS THINGS UP! If I remember correctly, it was stated that Green Hill Act 2 was supposed to be "the tames of the changes". Yeah I dunno if that turned out true. SOME of the levels that got remixed were straight up AMAZING (like Oil Ocean 2 , Chemical Plant 2, and Stardust Speedway 2) but some like Hydrocity and IMO Flying Battery just didn't seem like there was much effort.

BUT THE NEW ZONES THO'!!!!

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!!! Press Garden and Titanic Monarch are probably my favorite levels in the game. The music, the design, the overall feel. It's a shame that Taxman and crew couldn't just make this a wholly original game with no reused zones. Maybe in Mania 2.

But wait. There's a Mania 2. Or should I say... Forces...

I'll admit, I was surprised when I saw the gem in the beginning. It thought it was a chaos emerald at first. Then Infinite noises came and it was like, nah man. Then Mania turned out be a prequel to Forces. This is both a good and bad thing. Good because it won't really waste time explaining Classic Sonic's appearance outside of maybe remaking the final moment of Mania, but bad because it kinda stole the moment for this "true return" to a classic game. Mania looks to be a fun and great experience (and let's be honest. There will be a sequel at some point) but it kinda was overtaken by Forces.

And Forces...

Forces looks to be just fine IMO. Classic wouldn't have been my first choice as a playable character for this game but whatever. This'll probably be the last time (hopefully) we'll see him in a 3D game. I curious now as to who Infinite is. There will have been basically two games now where he was the central focus (assuming that the gem is Infinite) and he clearly is a powerful threat. Infinite wasn't even a full guy in Mania and he screwed classic every way he could. I hope they use him in a way that shows what he's capable of.

Does anyone here know of any streams happening tomorrow? I know a majority of them will be from Australia/New Zealand, at least.

2 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Does anyone here know of any streams happening tomorrow? I know a majority of them will be from Australia/New Zealand, at least.

Somecallmejohnny will be streaming Mania completely blind in the Platformania charity.

http://fundthecharityroom.com

2 hours ago, Adamis said:

So what ? The Doctor is still the same each incarnation.

My point stands.

So, what? Sonic only had one incarnation that had a respective design for each era. That's it. Using Doctor Who as an excuse even when it's not in the right context doesn't exclude the fact that Sonic Team have shit writers who are just looking to cut-corners due to the fact they're shit writers.

As someone who doesn't plan to play this (not a big fan of the Genesis era games, though I have a soft spot for Sonic 2 and CD out of nostalgia) I am curious to see if artwork is unlockable - I'd love to get clean art for the remaining HBH as well as the rest of the names to go with Heavy Gunner. Besides the obvious soundtrack (need to hear more Tee Lopes), I'd also like to see clean rips of sprites since it's awesome that Bean and Bark have official Sega sprites now (those wouldn't happen to be in Debug Mode would they?). Same for any new badniks.

Beyond that, I'll echo others hopes that Amy or Metal are playable, if for no other reason than to see how their gameplay would run in future titles.

Also, I haven't watched the streams as I prefer to watch without commentary, I saw folks talking about Mecha/Silver Sonic? Can anyone expand on that?

• Thumbs Up 1

Can we appreciate that intro animation of Knuckles in Chemical Plant (8:24) and weep about not having enough of those?

Man, Mania Knuckles is PERFECT

He is such a goofball I love him so much (Best Classic Sonic character)

• Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

I saw folks talking about Mecha/Silver Sonic? Can anyone expand on that?

The Sonic 2 Master System/Game Gear version is summoned by Metal Sonic as a phase of a boss fight. Metal powers a machine that produces an infinite number of these little Silver Sonics, but there's only one out at a time. To advance, you have to clash against its spin jump with your own and send it flying into Metal several times. It pops and release an animal just like a Badnik when it hits Metal or you hit it when it's vulnerable.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, A_W said:

The Sonic 2 Master System/Game Gear version is summoned by Metal Sonic as a phase of a boss fight. Metal powers a machine that produces an infinite number of these little Silver Sonics, but there's only one out at a time. To advance, you have to clash against its spin jump with your own and send it flying into Metal several times. It pops and release an animal just like a Badnik when it hits Metal or you hit it when it's vulnerable.

I thought silver sonic is the one from sonic 2?

Various models have been called Mecha or Silver over the years, and to complicate matters the Japanese and English names don't always match up, but I love everything going on with this boss fight though! Metal's Chair is a sly reference to Knuckles Chaotix, that shabby Silver Sonic, and you're practically playing Pong or Breakout with them.

14 minutes ago, Zippo said:

The game should be going live in 4 to 6 hours in Pacific Territories, I hear.

For what platforms? I think Switch doesn't update until noon eastern on the day of. If that's right, it puts Switch users 34 hours away :(

Likely 6 hours as it's 6:16pm here in NZ and we will hit the midnight timer first as far as pacific territories. But it all depends on if the game is set to go live on the stroke of midnight or if we will have to wait for morning as sometimes happens.