Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

17 minutes ago, Mogul said:

For what platforms? I think Switch doesn't update until noon eastern on the day of. If that's right, it puts Switch users 34 hours away :(

I believe it's for PSN and XBL in those territories.

16 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Likely 6 hours as it's 6:16pm here in NZ and we will hit the midnight timer first as far as pacific territories. But it all depends on if the game is set to go live on the stroke of midnight or if we will have to wait for morning as sometimes happens. 

Actually, Samoa and the Line Islands are ahead of you guys, so it may be 3 and a half hours from now, at the earliest.

7 hours ago, Terriful said:

I haven't posted my opinions on everything so I thought I'd go ahead and do that. 

I ordered the PC version (RIP) and watched the stream. Watching it, there were a lot of cool neat little references here and there. The whole crew put a lot of little details in and that was super cool! Good job to them! But to be honest, some of the level designs felt a bit... lazier than the rest. What I mean is, (using Hydrocity as an example) some parts were just straight up copy and pasted at times and it frustrated me. This game was promoted as a NEW 2D EXPERIENCE and how I saw it was, act 1 was for playing through the original levels with a few new tricks while act 2 was supposed to MESS THINGS UP! If I remember correctly, it was stated that Green Hill Act 2 was supposed to be "the tames of the changes". Yeah I dunno if that turned out true. SOME of the levels that got remixed were straight up AMAZING (like Oil Ocean 2 , Chemical Plant 2, and Stardust Speedway 2) but some like Hydrocity and IMO Flying Battery just didn't seem like there was much effort.

BUT THE NEW ZONES THO'!!!!

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!!! Press Garden and Titanic Monarch are probably my favorite levels in the game. The music, the design, the overall feel. It's a shame that Taxman and crew couldn't just make this a wholly original game with no reused zones. Maybe in Mania 2.

But wait. There's a Mania 2. Or should I say... Forces...

I'll admit, I was surprised when I saw the gem in the beginning. It thought it was a chaos emerald at first. Then Infinite noises came and it was like, nah man. Then Mania turned out be a prequel to Forces. This is both a good and bad thing. Good because it won't really waste time explaining Classic Sonic's appearance outside of maybe remaking the final moment of Mania, but bad because it kinda stole the moment for this "true return" to a classic game. Mania looks to be a fun and great experience (and let's be honest. There will be a sequel at some point) but it kinda was overtaken by Forces.

And Forces...

Forces looks to be just fine IMO. Classic wouldn't have been my first choice as a playable character for this game but whatever. This'll probably be the last time (hopefully) we'll see him in a 3D game. I curious now as to who Infinite is. There will have been basically two games now where he was the central focus (assuming that the gem is Infinite) and he clearly is a powerful threat. Infinite wasn't even a full guy in Mania and he screwed classic every way he could. I hope they use him in a way that shows what he's capable of.

well... as I see it... (PROPER means very similar to original zone)

Green Hill... Act 1 PROPER... Act 2 remade

Chemical Plant... the same

Flying Battery... as well

Stardust Speedway... exact opposite... Act 1 remade with Marble Garden touch and Act 2 being PROPER

Hydrocity... same as Stardust Speedway... touch of Tidal Tempest in Act 1

Oil Ocean... same as GH, CP, FB...Act 1 PROPER, touch of Sandopolis in Act 2

Lava Reef... Act 1 PROPER, touch of Quartz Quadrant in Act 2

Metallic Madness... Act 1 looks and feels like Past and Act 2 being Present-alike and more straightforward... so I call Act 2 PROPER one despite having less features than original 

so all together... Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Flying Battery, Oil Ocean, Lava Reef have first Acts similar to original ones 

and Stardust Speedway, Hydrocity and Metallic Madness have second Acts similar to original ones.

So what are the other unlockables? Also people on YouTube seem pretty happy with the Forces connections. I honestly think it's a neat feature!

13 hours ago, Joseph Henry said:

Just wanna say

The first credits theme (8:20) is probably my favorite credits theme from a Sonic game.

Reveal hidden contents

Is just so cheerful, is a mix of Sonic Heroes and Mario Kart 8.

Looking at that leaked video ending. I'm getting a strong vibe that the classic Sonic from Mania is the one we see in Forces. So Mania is sort of a prelude to Forces?

since i'm refusing to watch any sort of gameplay footage for mania until it releases, i do have one question: is there a zone medley song during the credits like in sonic 1 and 2 and generations?

1 hour ago, Eggman said:

Act 2 boss is... Tetris?

Thats Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, kind sir, and you'd do well to play it one of these days.

• Promotion 3

4 minutes ago, Penny said:

since i'm refusing to watch any sort of gameplay footage for mania until it releases, i do have one question: is there a zone medley song during the credits like in sonic 1 and 2 and generations?

Nah, there is 3 original tracks that are much better than that.

Just now, Indigo Rush said:

Thats Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, kind sir, and you'd do well to play it one of these days.

Which is a Puyo Puyo modification.

Seriously, Tetris? No offense but how can you not know Puyo Puyo while knowing Sonic? xD

• Nice Smile 1

well shit, i was really hoping they'd do a zone medley. bet it would've been amazing. but i won't say no to 3 new tee lopes creations

Streams are starting to appear all over the place. Australia should have it within the next hour or so.

4 hours ago, Chameleon of the Spoilers said:

So what are the other unlockables? Also people on YouTube seem pretty happy with the Forces connections. I honestly think it's a neat feature!

Most YouTube sonic fans are well fans of the 3d games a lot more than some here treat them.

I got scared lol Amazon told me my card was declined so I had to change it before they shipped my copy mmm mmm

Looking at a couple of the streams, it seems the lack of transitions is very much a final product thing, there was nowt between Stardust Speedway and Hydrocity.

• Thumbs Up 2

So when the fog in Oil Ocean Act 2 gets thicker, you start losing rings but won't die. Also if you enter the submarine whilsts the fog is there it will reset when you get out.

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Looking at a couple of the streams, it seems the lack of transitions is very much a final product thing, there was nowt between Stardust Speedway and Hydrocity.

Patch incoming? I hope so.

27 minutes ago, ad516 said:

oh my god 

Oh my God they actually did it the absolute madmen

E: and right under Shadow Kirby's reply lol

• Chuckle 2

Hey, just thought; I think those weird catch-springs in Stardust Speedway are from Chaotix as well. 

I'm putting my faith in CGInfernoBlast's stream to breach new territory. 

A streamer I'm watching on Twitch has gotten further along with gold medals. They haven't unlocked anything new.

Whatever these remaining unlocks are, they must be very interesting...

sonicmaniaextras.png