Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

Man, some of the AI in this game is buggy.

I watching a stream of Mirage Saloon Act 1, and after a few rounds where the boss was super aggressive, there was one round where it did nothing but go to the left-hand side and jump over in a means which allowed Sonic to hit it. 

Apparently someone got all 32 gold medals and it didn't unlock anything. I assume that's because it's tied to achievements in the PS4 and Xbox One version, although that doesn't explain why the Switch would get the shaft.

By the way, I don't think anyone here has pointed it out; the sound effects when the Heavy Magician is transforming and then unleashes her illusions are taken from Chaotix. It's the sound of the combi-capture letting the character out of the capsule. The short sound is also used for the character switch item box. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Don't know if it was the same for you guys, but after a huge struggle with the 6th special stage, I thought the last emerald would have been hard as hell, but on the contrary I completed it in less than 40 seconds... 

I have a question. i have completed the game once with Sonic & Tails and managed to get 4 emeralds. Now I got all 7 by replaying Green Hill several times. Can I do the good ending now by simply start from titanic monarch ?

22 minutes ago, DaN said:

Don't know if it was the same for you guys, but after a huge struggle with the 6th special stage, I thought the last emerald would have been hard as hell, but on the contrary I completed it in less than 40 seconds... 

I have a question. i have completed the game once with Sonic & Tails and managed to get 4 emeralds. Now I got all 7 by replaying Green Hill several times. Can I do the good ending now by simply start from titanic monarch ?

Yeah, it was the exact same for me. Had a lot of trouble with the 6th one but the 7th was easy as heck. Was quite glad about that tbh.

And while I have yet to get the good ending myself (I don't even know if there is a good ending for Knuckles the same way there is for Sonic) but you should be able to get it by starting from Titanic Monarch.

Shocked they referred Forces in Mania. That aspect is very intriguing. And has made the former all the more interesting. 

Its got me confused about the development times and plans they had with one another though. 

Edit: On the hand of reused zones, the creativity in them was pretty clever. Props to Oil Ocean for becoming a decent stage for me. Lava Reef was probably my favourite of the old zones. 

The new zones were pretty damn clever too. All of them were fun in their own right.

15 minutes ago, molul said:

DA Garden was a Sonic 3 mood, wasn't it? I wonder what D.A. means.

I blieve that the creator of the mod D.A. Garden chose their name from the Sonic CD music listening mode! ^_^:)  It is indeed though; Sonic 3: D.A. Garden Edition.  (https://forums.sonicretro.org/?showtopic=34864)

It is as special a transformation of a 2D Sonic experience as Mania is; after years and years of work, all of the zones and special stages too were redesigned and feel basically like an alternate version of the game that could have been released (Although as D.A. says, with more inspiration from Sonic 1 level layout, which works really well actually).

So I heard there's a way to retry special zone levels after failing them, but not sure how to actually do this. Any ideas?

Noting a couple of things for my own musing.

1. I like the fact they were able to throw Super Knuckles and Super Tails in there and yet still keep the forms non-canon. :P

2. Definitely think there's more mandate stuff at play; despite numerous references to the game content of Chaotix (I've counted six so far), there's no reference to the characters of Chaotix as far as we know. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Sonictrainer said:

How do you use the Super Peelout? 

You need to be in No Save mode, I think.

I don't have the game.

Oh, just noted another Chaotix reference (taking the tally up to 7), although this one may be old.

The sound the signpost springs in Studiopolis make is the same as the piston springs in Amazing Arena. 

I'm a bit confused. I saw the intro with the hbh taking the pink item, but all reviews I'm seeing have this intro:

Is it maybe that the review codes had a different intro?

Now hold a dang diddly doodiddly second. Mania unlocked an hour ago for me and of course I'm playing it. I got to Flying Battery Act 1. 

Why the fuck are there transitions here and not in later stages? The fuck? That transition between Studiopolis and Flying Battery was fucking fun. Same with Chemical Plant and Studiopolis. Why do stage transitions end of all the sudden in later stages?

11 minutes ago, molul said:

I'm a bit confused. I saw the intro with the hbh taking the pink item, but all reviews I'm seeing have this intro:

I don't see any difference ?

Yeah, unfortunately not all Zones have transition cutscenes. I think we know the dev team well enough to infer that they were probably intended, but I guess some content had to be cut. Also, given the glitches we're dealing with, the game may not have had the exact amount of time needed to reach its intended vision. At least some of this can be patched, but I don't know if adding cutscenes would be on the table. Question for the devs, if that's something they want to talk about.

Either way.

Sega.

Please give 'em a bigger budget, more time and more manpower next go round.

• Thumbs Up 5

51 minutes ago, molul said:

Nope. That's the same intro I had when playing the game. I think it's meant to imply that the Hard-Boiled Heavies were originally just a group of Egg Robos, until the Infinity Gem (yeah, that's what I'm calling it for now) somehow caused them to change their appearances and each gain some form of personality.

EDIT: Oh, looks like it's called the 'Phantom Ruby'. Okay then.

16 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Also, what is "original"?

What do you mean?

EDIT:

001.jpg

You had one job!

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Yeah, unfortunately not all Zones have transition cutscenes. I think we know the dev team well enough to infer that they were probably intended, but I guess some content had to be cut. Also, given the glitches we're dealing with, the game may not have had the exact amount of time needed to reach its intended vision. At least some of this can be patched, but I don't know if adding cutscenes would be on the table. Question for the devs, if that's something they want to talk about.

Either way.

Sega.

Please give 'em a bigger budget, more time and more manpower next go round.

There must be a desire to have them be fairly unique and completely link both zones somehow; contrasting with a desire to finally share the playable parts of the game without delaying it much longer!

It is possible that it could be more of a free DLC+patch combo that would add the full series of transition sequences and possibly other aspects that we cannot see were in development but temporarily left out of the game! 

23 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Wait, his name actually was Heavy King? 

Wuddya know.

Also, what is "original"?

Where did you get that name?