Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

Just finished the game with all emeralds, and that ending was seriously what got people pissed off? I mean yeah, I guess it ties with Forces...in like the most vague sense considering we just see Sonic going into a portal with a gem. It's not that big a connection, especially with what people were making it out to be.

Honestly, Mania is a pretty fun game. I dislike a ton of classic titles, the only one I like being S3&K and I'm extremely happy Mania follows a lot of S3&K's examples as opposed to 1,2 and CD. There's some annoying design stuff in there I disliked but still a fun and charming adventure.

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Just finished the game with all emeralds, and that ending was seriously what got people pissed off? I mean yeah, I guess it ties with Forces...in like the most vague sense considering we just see Sonic going into a portal with a gem. It's not that big a connection, especially with what people were making it out to be.

Honestly, Mania is a pretty fun game. I dislike a ton of classic titles, the only one I like being S3&K and I'm extremely happy Mania follows a lot of S3&K's examples as opposed to 1,2 and CD. There's some annoying design stuff in there I disliked but still a fun and charming adventure.

well..not only the cutscene.

the final boss theme sounds almost identical to forces' main theme.

take a listen.

0:53 onward

0:50 onward.

• Promotion 1

2 minutes ago, FReaK said:

take a listen.

Alright, so? I mean the final boss theme was still pretty good regardless, same way Fist Bump's instrumental theme was pretty good. It's a bit silly in my eyes that there's so much outrage over something that not only is very vaguely implied, but on top of that, doesn't even effect Mania's overall nature. We still got the ending with Eggman getting beaten and the Hard Boiled Heavies taking a hit. If anything, it's kind of nice having Classic's appearance in Forces actually explained rather than just shoe-horning him in there. Frankly, this entire thing seems overblown when it got leaked days ago. I was expecting much much bigger.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Alright, so? I mean the final boss theme was still pretty good regardless, same way Fist Bump's instrumental theme was pretty good. It's a bit silly in my eyes that there's so much outrage over something that not only is very vaguely implied, but on top of that, doesn't even effect Mania's overall nature. We still got the ending with Eggman getting beaten and the Hard Boiled Heavies taking a hit. If anything, it's kind of nice having Classic's appearance in Forces actually explained rather than just shoe-horning him in there. Frankly, this entire thing seems overblown when it got leaked days ago. I was expecting much much bigger.  

i'm not saying i dislike it. we could be up for really good stuff for forces there..i was just pointing out another tidbit of the connection ;)

I just noticed a fun reference. If you idle with Knuckles, one of his animations is his chuckle from S3&K

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

Super Sonic's sprites look fucking awesome, he's got the Sonic 2 spines which was always the best looking version of Super Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm home! Let's do thiiiis!

GktPF5v_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

You'll notice that my... "room" is a bit lacking XD That's coz' I'm changing it this thursday (new bed, new desk, new wardrodes...)! All my old shit is gone. 

But that's not gonna stop me for playing Maniaaa!!!! :D Blue controller to match!

I feel awakened, I've 100&ed this game on my first run and i'm going to go though the Knuckles Run next but man, i feel so lightheaded. So gooooooood.

Holy crap, I've failed at the first Special Stage xD xD Jesus, Sonic is too faaaast haha Gonna try again on Chemical Plant!

1 hour ago, FReaK said:

take a listen.

I like the Mania version a lot better in terms of its instrumentation and arrangement, I have to say.

I don't hate the Forces version, but it doesn't do much for me and I find the title/lyrics to be kind of unintentionally silly. Like, honestly, "Fist Bump" sounds like such an "Old corporate executive trying desperately to relate to the kids" title.

• Thumbs Up 4

Without looking on much here I'm on Studiopolis. I have the switch version and luckily the Chemical Plant Act 2 glitch didnt get me. Though I will be honest that I jumped and was scared that I got stuck.

I started with Knuckles and the first boss was kind of hard. The chemical plant boss was confusing but I ended up loving it. What a creative way to include an element of another game as a boss. 

I'm going to stop with knuckles and start a new playthrough with Sonic and Tails.

Onto Studiopolis Act 2! Man, how I've missed the bouncing pinbalicious physics, it makes a damn of a difference <3 And what an awesome boss (Heavy Gunner)! Kinda hard, but fast, rewarding and exciting. This game, man. 

Nice to hear everyone is having fun with the game, looks like Sega did really good with this one.

Uh... Okay. I'm at Titanic Monarch Act 2. I'm... Lost. What am I supposed to do? I feel like I'm going in circles. 

I feel I have to battle all four Heavies again per the background, but when I take the paths I end up looping back to the beginning. 

Just going to ask again since no noticed my question last time. Do Mighty and Ray get a cameo in Mania?

10 minutes ago, Hard-Boiled Wisp said:

Uh... Okay. I'm at Titanic Monarch Act 2. I'm... Lost. What am I supposed to do? I feel like I'm going in circles. 

I feel I have to battle all four Heavies again per the background, but when I take the paths I end up looping back to the beginning. 

Actually, when you get to the room with four portals, the stage is split into four segments. After you complete one of these segments, that pathway is locked. Finish all four segments, and a portal will open above your character. Jump in to face the final boss.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Metallix said:

Actually, when you get to the room with four portals, the stage is split into four segments. After you complete one of these segments, that pathway is locked. Finish all four segments, and a portal will open above your character. Jump in to face the final boss.

Yeah figured it out once I did the third one, thought I was messing up. 

Aaaaaand there's the Titanic Monarch gone. Really fun game. Still missing the extra boss but I think I'll wait for a map or something to find the Special Stage rings, these stages are massive. 

But really great game. Still miffled about the lack of stage transitions. Mostly from Metallic Madness to Titanic Monarch, would've been nice. 

Just now, Hard-Boiled Wisp said:

Yeah figured it out once I did the third one, thought I was messing up. 

Aaaaaand there's the Titanic Monarch gone. Really fun game. Still missing the extra boss but I think I'll wait for a map or something to find the Special Stage rings, these stages are massive. 

But really great game. Still miffled about the lack of stage transitions. Mostly from Metallic Madness to Titanic Monarch, would've been nice. 

What I did was constantly reload green hill and get the very obvious green hill ring at the end of the level over and over. Just every time you get an emerald, you have to beat green hill before exiting and reloading.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Psychicmoose103 said:

What I did was constantly reload green hill and get the very obvious green hill ring at the end of the level over and over. Just every time you get an emerald, you have to beat green hill before exiting and reloading.

Beat the stage? Wouldn't that send me to Chemical Plant?

Or is it Act 1.

2 minutes ago, Hard-Boiled Wisp said:

Beat the stage? Wouldn't that send me to Chemical Plant?

Or is it Act 1.

Its in act 1. Here's the basic idea.

1.     Load your file at green hill.

2.     Reach the end of the act and enter the special stage. If you fail, exit and reload green hill again to retry.

3.     If you manage to get the emerald, you need to beat act 1 and act 2 to save the game. Once your at chemical plant, exit the game.

4.     Repeat the steps until you have all the emeralds.

• Thumbs Up 1

if you've already beaten the game, you actually don't have to beat the act to save the emerald. you just have to exit after you get back to the zone. also, an easier ring to get to is in Press Garden. at the first rotating cylinder, go down and to the LEFT.

• Promotion 2

Just now, Penny said:

if you've already beaten the game, you actually don't have to beat the act to save the emerald. you just have to exit after you get back to the zone. also, an easier ring to get to is in Press Garden. at the first rotating cylinder, go down and to the right.

I actually never knew that, would have saved a ton of time :P. 

I've played up untill Metallic Madness Zone. This game is tons of fun. The original physics make a huge difference, Sonic 4 can go cry in a corner. 

Sonic Mania? Now this is freaking Sonic. Hip aesthetics, colorful and creative worlds, great boss fights, exciting speed, incredible music, challenging gimmicks, superb level design. It has everything. 

The zones are huge, I feel like I'm missing a lot, and I'm not even blasting, I like to explore. One small complaint, but the level design often "traps" you in a room where usually the exit is behind a breakable or secret wall which can be trick to spot. There's also points of no return, granted it happens more in later zones, but still. This game has the habit of, whenever you're feeling let down or annoyed, throwing something incredible at you, putting back that smile on your face. It's amazing.

I just wish they've had more time to work on the story/zone transitions, it's clear that the game wants desperately to tell a story. Angel Island at the sea during the intro, Little Planet on Lava Reef's background... The lack of transitions in supposely "hard to explain" situations, like Stardust Speedway to Hydrocity as someone jocked about it earlier, could mean that they didn't had the time to add, I highly doubt the devs simply didn't gave a damn, you know Christian "Taxman". In fact, every zone lacking a transition is due to time constraints, as some of them have, even great ones.

I have faith that everything will be patched soon. 

Last but not least, don't check the Time Attack Leaderboards on the PS4 version, it crashes the game. 

Favorites? Press Garden unique aesthetics and the ice gimmick in Act 2. Studiopolis: awesome gimmicks, superb music (Act 2 is at the top of my list) and amazing level design -> there's a part near the end of Act 2 when you're running really fast, then all of sudden, a spike wall appears ahead, and just before you finish saying "fuc.." *WHOOSH* the road pulls you down dodging the spikes by an inch. Stardust Speedway is probably my favorite returning zone, and the music is just out of this world. The Heavy Gunner boss battle was my favorite :P

And before I forget: screw Tails XD His AI has caused more trouble and confusion than aid.

Oh, and I suck at Blue Spheres. And the new Special Stage too :(

1 hour ago, Mightyray said:

Just going to ask again since no noticed my question last time. Do Mighty and Ray get a cameo in Mania?

Unfortunately, no.

• Thumbs Up 1