Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

I am doing a run with Sonic now... so few things I found:
Press Garden - damaged orange-green boxes can be destroyed by bouncing with a water shield

Hydrocity - there is a hidden path for Knuckles in act 1 where characters HAVE to go underwater for the first time (normally unbreakable wall for Sonic/Tails)

Differences in Act 2 between S3 and Mania: First underwater "moonwalking" section doesn´t contain Eggman boxes, but Giant Ring. Second contains Water Shield instead of Invincibility box.

And one thought:
Neither the Past (in Act 1) nor Present (in Act 2) in Stardust Speedway is the same as their CD counterparts. Eggman statue has both eyes and there are clouds above it. Maybe they are a cycle after the CD originals :smile: Past has way more buildings in the foreground as well.

I honestly can't tell you how much I like Mania in comparison to the Classics. I love it, and it's absolutely the Sonic game that I've always wanted. However, I've been waiting over 23 years for it. The Classic games, S3K in particular, hold a very special place in my heart that no other game can really reach. I like Mania just as much as I like the Classics, and feel it totally belongs with them. And because of that, I can't rate it.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Nice Smile 1

I give mania a 8.5. As a true child of the 90s the games something incpuld gave seen myself spending nights playing with my sister or parent's. The only reason points come off are a few crazy bugs. And the story does not flow the best granted it doesn't need one. Like I wanted to know where the hbh went . How did the leader transform at the end.  Why where they fighting with eggman. But the music was great though as well. Also I hate blue balls lol that mode is forever scared me from youth lol. I'd like a sequels one day

I've noticed most people speed through the Titanic Monarch boss, has anyone tried slowing down and being grabbed numerous times, can you defeat the HBH during that fight? Do they run away again? I haven't had a chance to try it yet. 

1 minute ago, Tenko said:

I've noticed most people speed through the Titanic Monarch boss, has anyone tried slowing down and being grabbed numerous times, can you defeat the HBH during that fight? Do they run away again? I haven't had a chance to try it yet. 

I believe that the HBH might be set to 255 hits as when you do a glitch on original Sonic 1 during final boss. You´re not supposed to beat them and quickly change back to Eggman... So if not 255 it sure has to be at least 50.

9 minutes ago, superman43 said:

I believe that the HBH might be set to 255 hits as when you do a glitch on original Sonic 1 during final boss. You´re not supposed to beat them and quickly change back to Eggman... So if not 255 it sure has to be at least 50.

So if you take your time and get the same HBH again etc the hits don't add up letting you beat them or remove them from the roulette? Your not meant to defeat them, they are purely meant to be avoided?

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

That sweet, sweet lore.

My own theory was that the super emeralds were more volatile than the regular emeralds, and the vessels their energy was stored in was expended during the events of the game, rendering them useless.

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I give mania a 8.5. As a true child of the 90s the games something incpuld gave seen myself spending nights playing with my sister or parent's. The only reason points come off are a few crazy bugs. And the story does not flow the best granted it doesn't need one. Like I wanted to know where the hbh went . How did the leader transform at the end.  Why where they fighting with eggman. But the music was great though as well. Also I hate blue balls lol that mode is forever scared me from youth lol. I'd like a sequels one day

I think it was pretty clear that the Phantom Ruby corrupted them and made them so engrossed in the Ruby's power that they wanted it all for themselves. The Heavy King's name gives that implication. He wants to be a leader, a King, and wants to operate on his own terms, so he fought back to break free from Eggman's restraint. How did the Heavy King change? Likely the Phantom Ruby's own doing since it suddenly released more power, enough to transport Sonic, Eggman, and the Heavy King to an entirely different space separate from their own dimension.

TLDR; Phantom Ruby.

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

So if you take your time and get the same HBH again etc the hits don't add up letting you beat them or remove them from the roulette? Your not meant to defeat them, they are purely meant to be avoided?

I experimented with this not long after completing the game. I used debug mode to give Sonic 999 rings just before entering the boss fight so he could turn Super. When I've used debug mode in the boss room it has resulted in the flames that chase you at the end being on screen during the entire fight making it unplayable.

The HBH to get the most hits on is Heavy Shinobi with around 8 hits being possible, 2/3 on Heavy Gunner/Heavy Rider and 1 on Heavy Magian. I've only tried once and spent around 5 minutes before giving up, but it might be possible if Eggman's hits carry over.

This is the most enjoyable sonic game I've played in years. I've enjoyed everything about it. I made it up to titanic monarch act 2 but that final boss whupped my butt! That gave me my first game over. I've only gotten 4 chaos emeralds, as sonic and tails, but that 4th special stage was tough. Gonna finish it tomorrow. 

Thanks taxman,? pagoda west, ?headcanon, ?and tee lopes.?You did a great job.?????

I'm gonna go eat that lava reef act 2 remix now.

Decided to do a quick run in the game to see how quickly I could get all the chaos emeralds. Video shows everything from start to finish, so if you're looking for special stage rings to get the emeralds before Studiopolis, then here you go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since everyone else is posting theirs, my first playthrough last night went pretty well, I got all the medals before finishing the game, but only got four of the Chaos Emeralds, that 5th grey/colorless one is a bastard to catch, glad I didn't get them all first go mind you as I wanted to see both versions of the ending. While I enjoy Blue Spheres and it tests my reflexes I do feel it breaks up the flow of the game stopping to do a round at pretty much every check point, perhaps a quick fire bonus game would have been a better option, they likely didn't want their Blue Spheres 2 work going to waste tho which is understandable.

Will go back and get the last three emeralds tonight possibly if I make time, would like to start a Tails or Knuckles run too. The game was amazing and I hope the PC versions shitestorm doesn't sour the team on working with Sega again to do a sequel, it's honestly the best Sonic experience I have had since my childhood playing the classics. I can't even put it into proper words. Plus #TeamHooligan y'all!!

Data mine spoiler.

Super Emerald and Hyper Sonic message assets exist in the data.

Fang is Fang in the code.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Data mine spoiler.

Hide contents

Are there any more Badnik and Boss Names revealed?

Been dealing with Harvey here at home. Glad I can finally catch up on what's going on. Datamine time? Looks like it. Sonic CD game over animation was found.

1504146123846.png

• Thumbs Up 3

25 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Are there any more Badnik and Boss Names revealed?

None I've seen yet.

There was a sprite for a boss we never saw, and someone put together the ripped sprites for the missing CPZ Tails animation. 

XJifJ8P.gif

• Thumbs Up 4

8 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

None I've seen yet.

Hide contents

There was a sprite for a boss we never saw, and someone put together the ripped sprites for the missing CPZ Tails animation. 

XJifJ8P.gif

Oh my goddddd!!! Why wasn't that in the game!? I was really disappointed when I got to CPZ and Tails was the only one with no special animation. Why'd they take it out if they had it?

• Thumbs Up 3

That is a really weird thing to not include, looks pretty solid to me.

I'm most interested in seeing if there's anything related to transitions not included in the game, or any remnants of Sonic's surfing sprite. So weird to see that revealed in promotional material and then be absent from the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

So someone found another amusing secret in the game. I just tried it myself and I can confirm that it works.

Dunkey Mode. It's hilarious.

How to do it: "Go to Hydrocity, find a hook, mash in Sonic 3 and Knuckles Level Select code, once you hear the ring, go find a boost."

Also:

I can confirm that the PC version has the level select too. I held down the X button, as I use a 360 controller, while selecting a No Save with Debug Mode on.

• Chuckle 6

18 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Ok but can I get a mod of Dunkey screaming when you hit top speed?

Make it happen, PC brethren

• Promotion 1

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Data mine spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

Hmm so is the assumption from this then that Fang is his universal name now? Interesting that there was perhaps more planned for the game that what ended up in the final product. The no DLC thing kinda puts a halt to any of those plans materalizing too.

As for the Tails animation, that needs to be patched/modded back into the game, really strange it was left out, did someone perhaps not like it, or is it another bug where it's meant to show in game but doesn't?