Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

9 minutes ago, Jango said:

Speaking of Press Garden, there's a damaged box with a monitor inside right at the beginning of Act 1, but no character's attack can break it (Knuckles' fists, Sonic's drop dash)... But a fire shield can break these boxes. Problem is, there's any untill very far on the stage. Am I supposed to backtrack this much JUST for a single monitor? Is it an easter egg, tho'? 

Try it with debug mode and you will see.

There is a water shield right above this area. You need to time your bounce from the conveyer belt, as you can't get back from here if you miss. Hardly worth it though for one monitor. 

32 minutes ago, Jango said:

Will try getting the bubble shield, these also break the boxes? Didn't knew.

At least something that bubble shield can do. ;) 

The fire shield is far more useful in Press Garden, especially in the second act where you can melt most of the obstacles. 

3 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

The fire shield is far more useful in Press Garden, especially in the second act where you can melt most of the obstacles. 

That is true. Melting like 90% of the spikes. :D 

I've never gotten a fire shield in press garden act 1. This is why I miss the gumball bonus stages. They were really helpful when you nerded to get a shield

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, A HyperKING heavy engine said:

I've never gotten a fire shield in press garden act 1. This is why I miss the gumball bonus stages. They were really helpful when you nerded to get a shield

There is one near the end that is fairly easy to get. Well, if you take the correct route, of course. 

4 hours ago, superman43 said:

Now that´s a thing I really never found out. Or never needed to :D But actually... do you think that someone will find it out by himself if needed ? I don´t think so.

I was curious, so I wanted to try it out. I can imagine that not many players will get themselves into that situation though. If you've been in the fight long enough to end up with no boxes, then you'll probably be aware that his saws break when they hit something. It makes sense that they'll break against the wall too. And worst case scenario, you'll just spam the crap out of invincibility frames until you beat it. I can't see any players making it to PG1 and not being able to beat the boss somehow.

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

This may have already been mentioned but just in case

36822119406_f20d1ce00d_b.jpg

Does this look familiar to anyone?

I was actually the one who mentioned how the boss of Titanic Monarch looked like a scrapped CD boss in the stream's chat before Stealth confirmed that it was indeed based on the Pshyco Egg concept art:

Spoiler

Also at 5:25:47 I told him about the new Tokyo Toy Show Sonic 1 Beta build news from Oshima.

aXYYVRS.png

ujMP79G.png

Screen capped this because memories.

1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

6UPmK2m.png

Heck yeah

How did you unlock that one about being taken a picture? I let those badnicks in Studiopolis take a picture but it did nothing :(

1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

6UPmK2m.png

Heck yeah

Nice. I still have to do Professional Hedgehog and this one. The closest I did was 1'07".

2 minutes ago, molul said:

How did you unlock that one about being taken a picture? I let those badnicks in Studiopolis take a picture but it did nothing :(

I just ran through the level and whenever one appeared I let it take a picture, after ten of them it unlocked.

1 minute ago, superman43 said:

Nice. I still have to do Professional Hedgehog and this one. The closest I did was 1'07".

King of Speed was def the hardest one, I tried to do it without any help but caved and looked up a video with a more reliable route. Then I had to practice it a bunch. I think my time is 55 seconds. Apparently going super doesn't invalidate Professional Hedgehog, which takes a lot of the challenge away.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, molul said:

I think that more badniks have to take a picture. 10 if I am not wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, superman43 said:

I think that more badniks have to take a picture. 10 if I am not wrong.

You don't need to have 10 badnicks to do a picture.

You can let one do 10 and you get the trophy/achievment.

• Thumbs Up 1

The achievements in this game are really weird. I went for the obvious ones like all emeralds and all silver/gold medals, but strangely there's no achievement for getting the true ending with Sonic. Also, I never would have figured out most of the other achievements without consulting a guide. Most of them seem like pretty mundane tasks so I probably won't go out of my way for them

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, molul said:

What's this? :o

Oshima revealed some new info about the Sonic 1 Tokyo Toy Show demo a couple weeks ago on Twitter:

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/NaotoOhshima/status/894214840134230017

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/NaotoOhshima/status/894216626702172161

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/NaotoOhshima/status/894770670252326912

^ In response about the blue monster.