Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

On 12/18/2017 at 11:45 PM, TheOcelot said:

A new test branch appeared on SteamDB with the description "Project Plus":
https://steamdb.info/app/584400/depots/

In other words, it looks like a new version of Mania is coming to Steam. What this version will include is anyones guess. Bug fixes/missing cutscene-transitions? DLC? Perhaps a new version of Mania which includes the mobile remasters?

Given the unused characters “A” and “M”, maybe this expansion adds in the long awaited Amy (as well as Modern Sonic to tie into Forces and conclude the saga). And we’d also get new stuff, like Scrap Brain and Hidden Palace.

Maybe I ask for too much, but I wish this means the missing cutscenes, maybe another playable character... aaand give me that re-imagined Angel Island Zone. :P

Seriously, who wants modern Sonic in Mania. Please, no.

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

Given the unused characters “A” and “M”, maybe this expansion adds in the long awaited Amy (as well as Modern Sonic to tie into Forces and conclude the saga). And we’d also get new stuff, like Scrap Brain and Hidden Palace.

You really need to temper your expectations. None of those things are happening.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Missing cutscenes are logically to be expected. But the name "project plus" certainly suggests there's more interesting content. I hope we can, for instance, use insta-shield on a saved game, and change to drop-dash whenever we continue a saved game.

Another zone would totally be welcome, but I wouldn't expect that much. Maybe an online coop and vs modes?

8 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Uhm, no. Scrap Brain and Hidden Palace stuff was just tested. And some of it ended up in Metallic Madness or Titanic Monarch (Ball Hog, S1 Final Boss) and Hydrocity (Jellygnite) and rest was just from S1/S2 mobile ports.

"A" and "M" could also mean, that Taxman, Stealth and the rest of the crew are just mocking those that have found it. You can be sure that Metal Sonic or Modern Sonic will never be added to Mania as playable characters (besides, it´s completely illogical) and Amy has nothing to offer. Maybe Amy character was taken from CD remaster in process of making Metallic Madness boss, that would be the most logical answer.

To conclude all, I feel that Project Plus may add the cutscenes and the option to have special abilities in saved game. The second is not really needed, though. Already done by modders for PC, but yeah, they may give the option to the other versions.

It's crazy, but it would be really awesome if they added a new bonus stage for starlight posts, leaving the Blue Spheres as a separate mode.

A man can dream...

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, superman43 said:

Uhm, no. Scrap Brain and Hidden Palace stuff was just tested. And some of it ended up in Metallic Madness or Titanic Monarch (Ball Hog, S1 Final Boss) and Hydrocity (Jellygnite) and rest was just from S1/S2 mobile ports.

"A" and "M" could also mean, that Taxman, Stealth and the rest of the crew are just mocking those that have found it. You can be sure that Metal Sonic or Modern Sonic will never be added to Mania as playable characters (besides, it´s completely illogical) and Amy has nothing to offer. Maybe Amy character was taken from CD remaster in process of making Metallic Madness boss, that would be the most logical answer.

To conclude all, I feel that Project Plus may add the cutscenes and the option to have special abilities in saved game. The second is not really needed, though. Already done by modders for PC, but yeah, they may give the option to the other versions.

Amy has nothing to offer? Play Advance 1! You’ll see she has plenty! Same with Modern in Advance 2.

I didn't really like Amy in Advance. The hammer felt like she should have her own game. It's like if they added shadow with a gun. It just doesn't fit to me.

5 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Amy has nothing to offer? Play Advance 1! You’ll see she has plenty! Same with Modern in Advance 2.

2 hours ago, molul said:

I didn't really like Amy in Advance. The hammer felt like she should have her own game. It's like if they added shadow with a gun. It just doesn't fit to me.

Yes, that´s the reason. Amy from Advance 1 would feel inadequate in Mania. And Classic Amy has no reason to ever be there. The Amy character was used for Amy Doll. Nothing more.

6 hours ago, superman43 said:

"A" and "M" could also mean, that Taxman, Stealth and the rest of the crew are just mocking those that have found it.

Why would they do that, though?

6 hours ago, superman43 said:

Maybe Amy character was taken from CD remaster in process of making Metallic Madness boss, that would be the most logical answer.

The letters were labels on the end-of-Act 1 signposts. It has nothing to do with the Amy Dolls.

39b7f99f0c3dc6ef332391c99bc96867.png

It could be they were extra copies made of Sonic's for testing or something. But the labels "M" and "A" seem kind of random, and it would make sense if they were going to use Sonic's signpost art as a starting off (or reference) point for Metal and Amy's signposts. Metal Sonic for obvious reasons, and Classic Amy's spines are shaped like Sonic's.

11 minutes ago, Celestia said:

The letters were labels on the end-of-Act 1 signposts. It has nothing to do with the Amy Dolls.

39b7f99f0c3dc6ef332391c99bc96867.png

It could be they were extra copies made of Sonic's for testing or something. But the labels "M" and "A" seem kind of random, and it would make sense if they were going to use Sonic's signpost art as a starting off (or reference) point for Metal and Amy's signposts. Metal Sonic for obvious reasons, and Classic Amy's spines are shaped like Sonic's.

I saw that when Mania came out. ;) But really, it can be as well just an internal joke.

Plus I said only that "A" as for Amy wasn´t planned p (It could, but then the devs felt it would be inappropriate to have Amy with Advance 1 or 2 playstyle). And then I said that the character design could be used for the prototype and final design of Amy Doll, not refering to the letter anymore.

8 hours ago, molul said:

It's crazy, but it would be really awesome if they added a new bonus stage por starlight posts, leaving the Blue Spheres as a separate mode.

A man can dream...

That really seems well within the realm of possibility.  Allowing the main release of the game to have a solid, time tested bonus stage format, but then, for the team's ideas for bonus stages to eventually be implemented without any time constraints into a new edition of the game seems very sensible!!

Less sensible is a concept I remembered when seeing the light blue accent art on the zone intros, thinking in the earlier days after the reveal of the game that it could be representing Big's dad as a fourth playable character!  :o:lol: 

I had thought that he would be a normal sized cat similar to Blaze but with some of Big's features, and supposed that it just would feel more cute and classic for Big's mom to be a big momma cat similar in size to him! 

A "Sonic Mania 3" that would be maybe the Sonic equivalent aesthetically (very surreal and lush) to Yoshi's Island, where baby Big is eventually rescued by the trio (along with handling other challenges) with help from Big's dad as a new playable character, maybe bringing on LakeFeperd as a Mania team member, is wonderful to envision!!  :wub:^_^^_^ 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, molul said:

I guess the answer but I'll ask anyway: is there any news at all about this Project Plus, or some hint from Taxman or anyone?

Why do you ask if you know the answer ? We all guess the same answer. :D I think that first news will be there when it´s released if it´s ever going to be released that is.

1 hour ago, molul said:

I guess the answer but I'll ask anyway: is there any news at all about this Project Plus, or some hint from Taxman or anyone?

If there was any hint or indication at all, you would have heard about it by now. There's been absolutely no word at all.

Just to reiterate what some others have said - keep your expectations tempered. We've nothing to go on, and 'Project Plus' could end up being very little, if even anything at all  

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

If there was any hint or indication at all, you would have heard about it by now. There's been absolutely no word at all.

Just to reiterate what some others have said - keep your expectations tempered. We've nothing to go on, and 'Project Plus' could end up being very little, if even anything at all  

or being shelved

On 12/21/2017 at 1:00 AM, BlueFlare said:

Maybe I ask for too much, but I wish this means the missing cutscenes, maybe another playable character... aaand give me that re-imagined Angel Island Zone. :P

Seriously, who wants modern Sonic in Mania. Please, no.

You know, not saying I want Modern Sonic in Mania, BUT given how some people are not so keen about how Sonic Team even does the boost stages in Sonic games nowadays, I think it would be interesting, if Modern Sonic was added into Sonic Mania, to see how Christian Whitehead do Modern Sonic in a game like Mania. I would like to see his take on Modern Sonic, and see how it compares to Sonic Team's version. Not saying it should happen, but I think it would be interesting to see, don't you think?

13 hours ago, superman43 said:

Why do you ask if you know the answer ? We all guess the same answer. :D I think that first news will be there when it´s released if it´s ever going to be released that is.

Well, I think project plus took a couple of days before it was commented here, so... Just in case :)

4 hours ago, molul said:

Well, I think project plus took a couple of days before it was commented here, so... Just in case :)

That doesn´t mean anything really. Project Plus may be someday nearly complete, but for some unspecified reason it might be scrapped, so don´t expect anything yet. It´s far better than to be disappointed.

1 minute ago, superman43 said:

That doesn´t mean anything really. Project Plus may be someday nearly complete, but for some unspecified reason it might be scrapped, so don´t expect anything yet. It´s far better than to be disappointed.

Not a bad attitude, but maybe a bit dramatic, isn't it? I mean, I've never feel depressed when having expectations that were a let down in the end ^_^U

We're Sonic fans after all. We're used to have some expectation and then watching how Sonic turns a bit more irrelevant with almost every new game :P 

2 minutes ago, molul said:

Not a bad attitude, but maybe a bit dramatic, isn't it? I mean, I've never feel depressed when having expectations that were a let down in the end ^_^U

We're Sonic fans after all. We're used to have some expectation and then watching how Sonic turns a bit more irrelevant with almost every new game :P 

Yes, but Mania did well, sooo... expecting new things and then not getting it might be a bit depressive. It´s not like if they added a stage to Generations, Colors or Lost World... right ?

Not my case. I know what deserves to be depressed about and what not :) If anything, I could feel disappointed, but depressed wouldn't make sense to me.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I'm a little bothered about something. It sounds silly, but I mean... I love how S3&K showed us that Sonic's and Knuckles's stories happened at different times. Right? But in Sonic Mania:

1) When Sonic starts, Angel Island is grounded. To replicate the iconic S3 scene.

2) When Knuckles starts, he's hanging out and relaxing because everything's fine. To replicate the iconic S&K intro.

3) The stories start at the same time.

I think they nostalgia'd themselves into a corner. Angel Island probably should've been floating for this story. I know interviews said the Phantom Ruby sank it, but that feels like an after-the-fact decision. Nobody told Knuckles about it.

I know, silly. But still.

IMO, that doesn't matter at all. I'm tired of trying to tie all Sonic stories when it's clearly impossible. The game is awesome, story is fine. I don't want Taxman to spend time on writing the great story but on developing the great gameplay.